ADVERTISEMENT

Rehashing the Past....again

There was once this little group of message board nazi's.. they were wrong about Bo Pelini, and they were wrong about Mike Riley. They loved to gang up on people, the tough internet bully's that they were, and spew their garbage and bs at other unsuspecting fans.. They disappeared for awhile, but it seems they are back. So whatever their party line is, just remember, they are 0 for 2 kids, and we don't listen to losers do we? Ok good.
Wrong on Bo Pelini in which way? That he shouldn't have been fired or that he should never have been hired as HC?

Georgia fired a coach who won 9-10 games a year, and 2 years later they made the National Championship game and had the #1 recruiting class in the country.

So it's not always bad to fire a 9 win coach, but you better already have a better replacement if you do. Firing a 9 win coach to hire Mike Riley or Bill Callahan makes no sense.

Explain this then. I said it wasn’t about Bo’s record and you said “You’re wrong in that plenty of people made it about Bo’s record.”

I have asked for proof that people actually said the reason Bo was fired was because of his record. You know, the 9-10 wins a season thing? Still waiting...

You’ve gotten it. Again, reread what I said, not what you wish I’d said.

Bo was fired for how he acted.

People wanted Bo fired for how he acted.

Those same people tried to act like his results on the field weren’t good enough as a cover for them just wanting him gone for how he acted. They acted like they believed that 9-10 wins was easy to achieve and that anyone could do it, therefore Bo should be fired, but in reality, it was all based on how Bo acted.

Bo was not fired for winning only 9-10 games. Bo was fired for how he acted. Everyone actually agrees with this statement. They truly believe this.

Some of those people tried to act like it was also his record, as Snohomish has already pointed out for you.

I don’t think I can make it any clearer.

Those same people tried to act like his results on the field weren’t good enough as a cover for them just wanting him gone for how he acted. They acted like they believed that 9-10 wins was easy to achieve and that anyone could do it, therefore Bo should be fired, but in reality, it was all based on how Bo acted.

Bo was not fired for winning only 9-10 games. Bo was fired for how he acted. Everyone actually agrees with this statement. They truly believe this.

Some of those people tried to act like it was also his record, as Snohomish has already pointed out for you.

Thank you!!! This is exactly what Timnsun and I have been saying too. We agree that his record played a part, but it wasn't a the sole reason (which in your previous posts, that I quoted, was implied) why he was fired. If you're going to act unprofessional you better start winning more games beyond 9-10. If you're not going to win more games beyond 9-10 then you better act like a professional (I now know you agree with this).

What you posted just now is much different (and much clearer) than what you were previously posting so thank you for clarifying.

Reactions: dinglefritz

This is the most you’ve said on this subject and I agree with it.

Reactions: RedOnAir
Thank you!!! This is exactly what Timnsun and I have been saying too. We agree that his record played a part, but it wasn't a the sole reason (which in your previous posts, that I quoted, was implied) why he was fired. If you're going to act unprofessional you better start winning more games beyond 9-10. If you're not going to win more games beyond 9-10 then you better act like a professional (I now know you agree with this).

What you posted just now is much different (and much clearer) than what you were previously posting so thank you for clarifying.

No it isn’t! It’s literally what I’ve been saying the whole time if you read it.

I think he was fired for more than how he acted. If he won titles his behavior would have been forgiven. He was fired because, even though he won 9 games a year, his teams routinely got destroyed and boat raced in games that mattered. His recruiting was mediocre and gave little indication that he was making progress toward making us competitive again. In short, it seemed his program here had hit its ceiling and had plateaued at a certain level... the level of above average/good but not great/good. So if you then throw in his behavior it was natural to fire him.

Nah, Bo was fired for not winning enough...but of course fans can't really say that when the guy was winning the amount of games he was winning so we all of a sudden had to pretend that we were embarrassed by him...

But...if you are embarrassed by a coach of a team that you don't even personally know you have some issues.

In the end, Bo just didn't win enough for us...nothing wrong with that...we want more. Had Bo won 3 NC's...he would not have been fired for his "attitude"

Sadly, his replacement is going to go down in college football history as one of the coaches with the most losses ever. (Bottom 40 or so)

This
th
thread! ;)

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Nah, Bo was fired for not winning enough...but of course fans can't really say that when the guy was winning the amount of games he was winning so we all of a sudden had to pretend that we were embarrassed by him...

But...if you are embarrassed by a coach of a team that you don't even personally know you have some issues.

In the end, Bo just didn't win enough for us...nothing wrong with that...we want more. Had Bo won 3 NC's...he would not have been fired for his "attitude"

Sadly, his replacement is going to go down in college football history as one of the coaches with the most losses ever. (Bottom 40 or so)

The fans didn't fire him. He was not fired for not winning enough. While the way he lost the games he lost was a definite factor in the decision to let him go, it was not the deciding factor.

I don't pretend to be a "donor of substance" or part of the NU administration. But I know a number of people who fit in those categories. People who were in on the decision making process and who provided advice (sometimes legal) on the process. The primary basis for firing Bo were his off the field actions. Frankly, if even 1/3 of the things I heard from people who directly interacted with him on a daily basis or were around him are true, he needed to go long before he did. I won't go into details, as I was suspended on a certain other website by the oh-so condescending owner for allegedly saying things that could get the site sued (and from a legal perspective he was 100% wrong). So you can believe me or not, as I can't lay out any proof. But based on what I've heard from people in the position to know, his off the field actions were around 90% of why he was fired, and the on the field results were the other 10%.

Georgia fired a coach who won 9-10 games a year, and 2 years later they made the National Championship game and had the #1 recruiting class in the country.

So it's not always bad to fire a 9 win coach, but you better already have a better replacement if you do. Firing a 9 win coach to hire Mike Riley or Bill Callahan makes no sense.

Exactly!

Everyone is saying the same things from a different angle- If Pelini had won a couple of conference titles would he have been fired - No - If he did not have the yearly embarrassing losses would he have been fired - Maybe not - If he wasnt such a jerk would he have been fired - most certainly not

So yes he was ultimately fired for not winning enough but he was not fired for winning 9-10 games a year by itself

Everyone is saying the same things from a different angle- If Pelini had won a couple of conference titles would he have been fired - No - If he did not have the yearly embarrassing losses would he have been fired - Maybe not - If he wasnt such a jerk would he have been fired - most certainly not

So yes he was ultimately fired for not winning enough but he was not fired for winning 9-10 games a year by itself

I'm just saying that people tried to claim it was the record. They were the same people that would shout you down and claim they knew more about football than everyone else, so they tried to make it strictly a football argument, which everyone with a brain knows it wasn't strictly a football decision.

The fans didn't fire him. He was not fired for not winning enough. While the way he lost the games he lost was a definite factor in the decision to let him go, it was not the deciding factor.

I don't pretend to be a "donor of substance" or part of the NU administration. But I know a number of people who fit in those categories. People who were in on the decision making process and who provided advice (sometimes legal) on the process. The primary basis for firing Bo were his off the field actions. Frankly, if even 1/3 of the things I heard from people who directly interacted with him on a daily basis or were around him are true, he needed to go long before he did. I won't go into details, as I was suspended on a certain other website by the oh-so condescending owner for allegedly saying things that could get the site sued (and from a legal perspective he was 100% wrong). So you can believe me or not, as I can't lay out any proof. But based on what I've heard from people in the position to know, his off the field actions were around 90% of why he was fired, and the on the field results were the other 10%.

I have heard all the stories too...It is amazing that the head coach at NU can be out in public being an asshole to so many people yet there is not one photo or video of it...like when he was thrown out of his daughters softball game...or when he was thrown out of his sons basketball game...both times for swearing and berating officials...yet...not one picture or video.

He was fired for not winning enough...the good news is there was an easy excuse to attach. That he is an ass. If in his 7 years here he had 75 wins and 3 NC's he isn't getting fired.

I have heard all the stories too...It is amazing that the head coach at NU can be out in public being an asshole to so many people yet there is not one photo or video of it...like when he was thrown out of his daughters softball game...or when he was thrown out of his sons basketball game...both times for swearing and berating officials...yet...not one picture or video.

He was fired for not winning enough...the good news is there was an easy excuse to attach. That he is an ass. If in his 7 years here he had 75 wins and 3 NC's he isn't getting fired.

I don't think you understand the depths to which Eichorst valued the Energy Bus and being nice to him.

I don't think you understand the depths to which Eichorst valued the Energy Bus and being nice to him.
The BUS!!!!

Eichorst didn't want those vampires around! Ha

Do you think on his year end evals he would type things out like "Needs to work on his energy sucking" Then used a rating scale of 1-5 vampires?

The BUS!!!!

Eichorst didn't want those vampires around! Ha

Do you think on his year end evals he would type things out like "Needs to work on his energy sucking" Then used a rating scale of 1-5 vampires?

Probably used a vampire emoji to denote it. I bet Mike got 5 Van Helsing emoji's because he was so neat to everyone.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I would say the blow out losses go hand in hand with not winning enough.

Losing 59-24 and 70-31 and 48-17 against Wisconsin, losing to Ohio St 63-38 and losing 38-17 to Iowa and 45-17 to Michigan and 41-21 to UCLA these were some of the games that if they were played close the 4 loss seasons would have been more tolerable.

Last edited:

I have seen a couple of videos that were kept private. I admit they were fairly minor blow-ups by Bo. But were their threats by the Bo and the Bo squad that kept certain things quiet, from actions by Bo to the conduct of certain players? I'll just leave it at that. Like I said, I am not going to put the specific proofs that I have out there, as it got me in trouble on another site. So believe that it's all just rumors if you wish.

However, the conduct that caused him to be removed was not in public. It was in the football offices. It was in the SID's offices. It was in NU administrator's offices. It was in individual's homes. That's why it took so long. If the craziness had happened in public then it would have been a lot easier to fire him. The plan was originally to fire Bo a year earlier than he was, but the Regent's and big money donors originally supporting Pearlman suddenly wussed out, leaving Pearlman pretty much on an island since there was no public actions by Bo that Pearlman could hang his firing hat on.

I believe that you are also correct to certain extent on Bo's record. I have no doubt that some of the high level people who were involved in the behind the scenes activities that resulted in Bo's firing would have closed their eyes to his conduct if he was winning the Big Ten routinely and even competing for NC's. Just as I believe he would have been gone 2 years before he was actually fired if he had been winning only 6-7 games a season. The willingness to put up with behavior that goes far, far beyond just crass or boorish has a direct correlation to the professional success of the person whose behavior is at issue. That applies in pretty much every field, not just coaching.

Reactions: scarletred
I have seen a couple of videos that were kept private. I admit they were fairly minor blow-ups by Bo. But were their threats by the Bo and the Bo squad that kept certain things quiet, from actions by Bo to the conduct of certain players? I'll just leave it at that. Like I said, I am not going to put the specific proofs that I have out there, as it got me in trouble on another site. So believe that it's all just rumors if you wish.

However, the conduct that caused him to be removed was not in public. It was in the football offices. It was in the SID's offices. It was in NU administrator's offices. It was in individual's homes. That's why it took so long. If the craziness had happened in public then it would have been a lot easier to fire him. The plan was originally to fire Bo a year earlier than he was, but the Regent's and big money donors originally supporting Pearlman suddenly wussed out, leaving Pearlman pretty much on an island since there was no public actions by Bo that Pearlman could hang his firing hat on.

I believe that you are also correct to certain extent on Bo's record. I have no doubt that some of the high level people who were involved in the behind the scenes activities that resulted in Bo's firing would have closed their eyes to his conduct if he was winning the Big Ten routinely and even competing for NC's. Just as I believe he would have been gone 2 years before he was actually fired if he had been winning only 6-7 games a season. The willingness to put up with behavior that goes far, far beyond just crass or boorish has a direct correlation to the professional success of the person whose behavior is at issue. That applies in pretty much every field, not just coaching.

I kind of believe that the second two people know a secret...it is no longer a secret. No one is keeping anything hush hush...there is nothing that people like doing more than outing someone they hate.

You (me) anyone can make anyone else sound/look crazy. I was just at the spring game and we stopped at Lazarri's for some pizza...there was a family there that was eating and the dad was drunk...he tried getting up out of his chair and fell...he got up and was like "Wow, I am embarrassed but not hurt"...Now, it would be easy to make it look/sound like that guy was a huge drunk and had an addiction problem...but more than likely he was just having a good time.

With all the investigating that goes on now, both by press and fans...there are no secrets for these coaches anymore. Nick Saban could fart at church this weekend and there will be tweets about it.

I kind of believe that the second two people know a secret...it is no longer a secret. No one is keeping anything hush hush...there is nothing that people like doing more than outing someone they hate.

You (me) anyone can make anyone else sound/look crazy. I was just at the spring game and we stopped at Lazarri's for some pizza...there was a family there that was eating and the dad was drunk...he tried getting up out of his chair and fell...he got up and was like "Wow, I am embarrassed but not hurt"...Now, it would be easy to make it look/sound like that guy was a huge drunk and had an addiction problem...but more than likely he was just having a good time.

With all the investigating that goes on now, both by press and fans...there are no secrets for these coaches anymore. Nick Saban could fart at church this weekend and there will be tweets about it.

Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead. I get it.

I also get that it took two years for the "F--- YOU FANS" tape (which many times I actually agree with, but thats neither here nor there) to come out and more than a few people knew it existed before Deadspin put it out there.

More than just that tape. Many people know why Paul Meyers was let go but have never seen that discussed on here either. Why is the fact Randy Gregory was given preferential treatment never discussed on here? There are many who know about that also. I can go on but my point is made. Not everything gets discussed on this message board as was inferred above. There are still secrets and some of them pretty damning for Pelini and some of them for others!

Reactions: scarletred
More than just that tape. Many people know why Paul Meyers was let go but have never seen that discussed on here either. Why is the fact Randy Gregory was given preferential treatment never discussed on here? There are many who know about that also. I can go on but my point is made. Not everything gets discussed on this message board as was inferred above. There are still secrets and some of them pretty damning for Pelini and some of them for others!

Don't know much about Paul Meyers other than he and Eichorst and Jim Rose joined my wife and I and a few of our friends table at a North Texas Nebraskans party and they didn't seem to be bros. Rosey? Surprisingly the coolest guy to talk to of the group.

Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead. I get it.

I also get that it took two years for the "F--- YOU FANS" tape (which many times I actually agree with, but thats neither here nor there) to come out and more than a few people knew it existed before Deadspin put it out there.

I feel like we are agreeing on this stuff.

Reactions: RedOnAir

You have your sources that you believe. I have sources that I believe. We are not going to change each others minds. However, to compare the stories of what you saw in one isolated instance in a restaurant and extrapolating from that with specifics of what people went though daily, monthly, and yearly in interacting with Bo is rather absurd. And many if not most of the incidents that I know of are pretty well known in certain groups. Even Lincoln journalists know of some of them and yet decided to keep quiet.

But, I fully understand that I am saying "I have had people who directly interacted with Bo tell me of 25+ terrible experiences they had with him, but I'm not going to give you any specifics. Believe me anyway." Yeah, and I have a certain bridge to sell you.

You have your sources that you believe. I have sources that I believe. We are not going to change each others minds. However, to compare the stories of what you saw in one isolated instance in a restaurant and extrapolating from that with specifics of what people went though daily, monthly, and yearly in interacting with Bo is rather absurd. And many if not most of the incidents that I know of are pretty well known in certain groups. Even Lincoln journalists know of some of them and yet decided to keep quiet.

But, I fully understand that I am saying "I have had people who directly interacted with Bo tell me of 25+ terrible experiences they had with him, but I'm not going to give you any specifics. Believe me anyway." Yeah, and I have a certain bridge to sell you.

I also take those stories with a grain of salt because people will often take a situation where they didn’t get exactly what they thought they were going to get and label that person bad forever. Without seeing what went down, I don’t believe anyone’s story 100%

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
As I continued to read the rest of this thread, it occurs to me that we, collectively, just waste way too much time and energy looking back at things we, as individuals, have or had no control over changing--either then or now. Is the real reason people keep re-hashing these inane arguments is they want to keep proving to themselves and others they are right? In other words, are all these arguments just ego driven?

It seems maybe so. As fans, maybe we will all be better off, (as well as the program), if we, instead, look forward and enjoy the ride and support the FUTURE of the program and quit wasting energy over the unchangeable past.

Just my thoughts and I am just wondering. We all, as always and of course, are free to believe anything we want to and spend our time doing what we want to, so, I am not trying to lecture. Good luck and GBR
I've heard a thousand reasons why he was fired. I really don't know. We can agree he wasn't a grossly inept HC like Clownahan & Smiling Mike but he just couldn't break through to greatness. So, for one reason or another, he had to go. As you mention, I'm sure his attitude didn't help. :)

Haha! Yes, I think there's a LOT of truth to that. I hadn't really thought of that before. If it takes Smiling Mike losing to everybody to bring in an ace HC.....so be it. Good point compadre'!

Yep, we've hung in there with some really rough, rough sledding recently. It's now payback time for US! :)

GBR!!

IMO he was fired because he was, in a nutshell, detrimental to the brand of what is Nebraska football, as was riley.

They didn't keep quiet...they are journalists and they "need" sources to confirm a story...

It isn't that I don't believe you, I believe what you are saying and I know you think it is true...I don't want to change your mind. I believe that people told you those stories and I know that they believe they happened. When you hate someone or dislike someone this is the stuff that happens. It is how we all do things. Shoot, we had people on here that hate Riley so much that they ripped on his license plate and used it as "proof" that he never wanted to be here.

But like I said...if Bo had two NC's in the last 10 season...he isn't getting fired. We all know that. But he didn't, he got blown out a lot, lost some games he had no business losing and wasn't what NU and the fans wanted.

Also, can you tell me more about the bridge? I have been looking to get into real estate investing.

If he wasnt such a jerk would he have been fired - most certainly not
I honestly believe Pelini would not have been fired if he had the exact same record as he did, but acted in a professional manner. He was on another level of "jerk" compared to other coaches.

He was fired for not winning enough...the good news is there was an easy excuse to attach.
Even if you kept the stories outside of Nebraska football out of the equation (I'm like you, I never believed the stories about his daughter's softball game or his sons basketball game) he was still a complete jerk.

Are people forgetting tape-gate? How he acted during games? How he acted towards the media on simple non-evasive questions?

I was just at the spring game and we stopped at Lazarri's for some pizza...there was a family there that was eating and the dad was drunk...he tried getting up out of his chair and fell...he got up and was like "Wow, I am embarrassed but not hurt"...Now, it would be easy to make it look/sound like that guy was a huge drunk and had an addiction problem...but more than likely he was just having a good time.
But if you saw this same guy acting the way he did multiple times on different occasions (some actions worse than others) then your assessment that he's a drunk / addict are probably right.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
They didn't keep quiet...they are journalists and they "need" sources to confirm a story...

Just to clarify. The journalists had sources. They had multiple sources. But when the information got out that they were going to write the story (in one case the journalist contacted people in the athletic department and asked if they wanted to be quoted in the article) then they received calls from the "Bo Mafia" (someone else's description, not mine, but the phrase struck me as funny). They were told, in essence, "I can't stop you from writing and publishing the article. It's your choice. But understand that if the article appears your current sources are going to stop taking your phone calls and are going to stop responding to your emails. It's going to be made clear in the locker room that it's not a good idea to be seen talking to you. Just so you know." The journalist or journalists made a cost/benefit analysis and the story went into the gray basket.

People didn't "all of a sudden" claim to be embarrassed by him. They had been embarrassed by him for a while.
If you are embarrassed by someone you don't know...the problem isn't them...it is you. It really is.

When I was a kid there was an old guy in my neighborhood that walked around naked, even to check his mail, one day he got busted doing that by a cop. It didn't embarrass me at all and I am guessing that is way worse to most people than Bo

If you are embarrassed by someone you don't know...the problem isn't them...it is you. It really is.
Haha, yeah no it isn't. Not when Pelini was representing our football program.
When I was a kid there was an old guy in my neighborhood that walked around naked, even to check his mail, one day he got busted doing that by a cop. It didn't embarrass me at all and I am guessing that is way worse to most people than Bo
I'm sorry, but these stories you keep telling trying to prove a point aren't the same situations that you're making them out to be.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Just to clarify. The journalists had sources. They had multiple sources. But when the information got out that they were going to write the story (in one case the journalist contacted people in the athletic department and asked if they wanted to be quoted in the article) then they received calls from the "Bo Mafia" (someone else's description, not mine, but the phrase struck me as funny). They were told, in essence, "I can't stop you from writing and publishing the article. It's your choice. But understand that if the article appears your current sources are going to stop taking your phone calls and are going to stop responding to your emails. It's going to be made clear in the locker room that it's not a good idea to be seen talking to you. Just so you know." The journalist or journalists made a cost/benefit analysis and the story went into the gray basket.

You realize that the above is an even bigger story, like Yahoo Sports, USA Today, 60 minutes, ESPN, Outside the Lines, Jim Rome show story...

"Local Journalists get threatened into not publishing a story by public institution" and would make that journalist famous, nationally.

I know this stuff you heard (I heard it too, all of it, all the stuff you are saying and I am guessing the stuff you are not saying) is awesome, it is fun, it is interesting...it is also blown so far out of proportion. As it should be, because that is how we act when we hate/dislike someone. Don't get me wrong, I love(d) the stories, they were awesome to hear and I couldn't wait to hear more...but it is a simple kids game of telephone...the story gets more and more twisted as the day goes on.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT