ADVERTISEMENT

Rehashing the Past....again

I largely agree with the blog post. My only point of disagreement is I think maybe it's a little too critical of Frost. I have to admit I don't like the clear delineation Frost seems to be making about the last 4 coaches which basically amounts to "Solich and Pelini good, Callahan and Riley bad.". Of course it's not wrong at all to say that Callahan and Riley were failures, but I wish he wouldn't just paper over the failures of Solich and Pelini and suggest that it was just the fans expecting too much. Then again, none of that is a surprise because we all knew even before he was hired which "side" he was on with all of that. I guess maybe I'm willing to cut him a little more slack right now, even if I don't agree with what he says. I'm willing to swallow some of that now as long as he gets the program back to where it should be, which I think he will.

One of the best columns I read about Frost's hiring talked about how one of the greatest things about it was it was something every Husker fan could agree on and get behind. We could finally put behind all of the discussion and division over past coaches. It didn't matter whether you were a Solichista or not, whether you were a Boliever or a Bo-leaver-none of it mattered anymore. Nobody expects people to stop talking about past coaches, but at least it should take away a lot of the anger and division among the fanbase over it. While I think that has been true to some extent, I don't think his hire has been quite as unifying as it could be because some people just don't want to forget about past divisions. I wish Frost would set the example better. But again, I'm willing to cut him slack for now and hope that he talks more about the future and not the past.

IMO as I have read in multiple places and not just one article is that SF talks and alludes to the weaknesses of the NU and athletic department administration more than the weaknesses of the coaches, although some of the WL season records would be fairly self evident for weaknesses in the fb program, specifically.

Why does everyone have to write off the last 20 years as a complete failure? Yeah most of that time hasn't been up to the standards of what Nebraska had been or even should be, but there's still plenty to be proud about. We've continued the sellout streak, had some great players come through here and do some things in the NFL, and even had several decent seasons during that stretch that could have been special if a couple things went our way. I don't know why there's a movement by some fans right now to dismiss the last 20 years like they never even happened, but I don't think it helps anything.
I'm certainly not doing that at all. I completely agree with you here. In fact, I've even said before that I enjoyed every single one of the wins we had during the last 20 years just as much as any. I don't look at them as somehow less important just because they were done by a coach that ultimately failed. Every single one of them had some great moments and great wins-just not enough, or had other issues that led to them being fired eventually.

You didn’t read or you have selective memory because it absolutely happened.
@timnsun isn't saying those words (a monkey can win 9 games) weren't said. He's telling you what those words meant at the time. He was pretty clear in that.

@timnsun isn't saying those words (a monkey can win 9 games) weren't said. He's telling you what those words meant at the time. He was pretty clear in that.

Ok. If you two want to pretend that there weren't people trying to lie and justify their desire for the firing by saying 9-10 wins wasn't good enough, then you can keep living in the fantasy world where you've been right about everything so far.

Well, you may very well be correct sir.

However, I do recall clearly endless posters (right here) stating his 9 or 10 wins were a joke that could be accomplished by "anybody". Also, Frank got us to a NC game and also won a conference championship. Fired him.

Bo was just an eyelash away from winning a conference championship and always won 9 or 10 games for seven consecutive years. Fired him.

To fire Frank & Bo for Clownahan & Smiley Mike is truly a horror movie. Add in Pedeyshine & SE and it's the wildest science fiction book ever written.

Haha.....but anyways, we were about one nano-inch away from becoming a Minnesota clone. Davison, TO & Moos saved our bacon big-time. We're as lucky as lucky gets.

Let's just agree to disagree as it's no biggie. Fair enough?

We're all going to have big fun this fall partner!!

GBR!!
Good post. Really I think the only difference we're having is why Bo was fired.

I really don't believe the sole reason why he was fired was because of his record. Bo didn't have to be Mike Riley nice, but if he would have acted more like a professional & actually wanted to be here, Bo would still be coach at Nebraska.

Maybe having Eichorst and Riley here will end up being a great thing for Nebrasla football because it led us to getting Frost. Obviously we'd all prefer we didn't have to go down such a terrible road, but it is what it is.

I agree in that we're really going to enjoy Frost & the success he will bring and leave all of this bs will be behind us!

Ok. If you two want to pretend that there weren't people trying to lie and justify their desire for the firing by saying 9-10 wins wasn't good enough, then you can keep living in the fantasy world where you've been right about everything so far.
Let me ask you this. If Pelini would have acted like a professional then would he still have been fired?

I didn't hate Bo at all. As far as being a jerk and a psycho, most coaches are. It's kind of the nature of the job. He's a good person though and there's many examples that showed that. That being said, I'd much rather have Frost coaching here than Bo. We've got the right guy now.
I don't think most coaches are jerks or psychos. Definitely not like Pelini is anyway. Yes, overall I do believe Pelini is a good family man.

Everything else I agree with.

Ah, the Ghosts of Christmas, er, Cornhusker past, still come a haunting from time to time.
frank-solich.jpg

bo-pelini.jpg

mike-riley-94ee1c5a47bd495d.jpg

It’s ok little buddy. Once you get the emotional maturity of an adult, life does become easier.

I am just pointing out that you said talking about this topic isn't going to change any opinions, then go add 30 posts to a thread trying to convince people to change their mind about old topics.

Reactions: timnsun
I am just pointing out that you said talking about this topic isn't going to change any opinions, then go add 30 posts to a thread trying to convince people to change their mind about old topics.

I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, big shoots. You can’t handle being called out. It’s ok. I was 15 once too.

Proof. Show me. Your all about verifiable facts. Prove it. Otherwise, it’s time for you to go on hiatus for another 7 years.

Proof. Show me. Your all about verifiable facts. Prove it. Otherwise, it’s time for you to go on hiatus for another 7 years.

If you want to deny the absolute fact that people tried to hide behind saying that 9-10 wins a year wasn’t good enough to cover up their softness/desire to act smarter than everyone else, that’s your problem not mine. I don’t think those guys are around here anymore anyway.

Maybe having Eichorst and Riley here will end up being a great thing for Nebrasla football because it led us to getting Frost. Obviously we'd all prefer we didn't have to go down such a terrible road, but it is what it is.Winking

I agree in that we're really going to enjoy Frost & the success he will bring and leave all of this bs will be behind us![/QUOTE]

As much as it pains me and others of Eichorst’s hiring of Riley and 2 of 3 miserable seasons,I hope now if that is what it took for us to land Frost then at the end of the day it will be worth it for years and years to come.

I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, big shoots. You can’t handle being called out. It’s ok. I was 15 once too.

OK, keep posting about old topics that won't change anyone's opinion. All the while "calling people out" for talking about old topics that won't change anyone's opinion.

Glad to have you back from your 6+ year errrrrr hiatus. At least with your current handle.

If you want to deny the absolute fact that people tried to hide behind saying that 9-10 wins a year wasn’t good enough to cover up their softness/desire to act smarter than everyone else, that’s your problem not mine. I don’t think those guys are around here anymore anyway.
Absolute fact? What makes it absolute fact? Proof. Provide it. You shouldn’t have any trouble finding the proof. It’s archived, you know. Next time I respond to you in this thread will be when you provide proof and I apologize. Until then, have a nice day.

I do not think the search function goes back that far but yes most/many, including me, thought that the 9-10 wins did not make up for his demeanor and I think more importantly his getting blasted every time he played Wisconsin - I still think his firing was justified. On the the flip side I think Solich should have been given more time if only to show other coaches we may have been able to hire that he was on the down hill slope

Reactions: RedOnAir
I d o not think the search function goes back that far but yes most including me thought that the 9-10 wins did not make up for his demeanor and I think more importantly his getting blasted every time he played Wisconsin - I still think his firing was justified on the the flip side I think Solich should have been given more time if only to show other coaches we may have been able to hire that he was on the down hill slope

Well I’ll be dipped. There it is.

OK, keep posting about old topics that won't change anyone's opinion. All the while "calling people out" for talking about old topics that won't change anyone's opinion.

Glad to have you back from your 6+ year errrrrr hiatus. At least with your current handle.

You seem to have a problem with comprehension. I don’t know. Maybe it’s because you’re nervous about your first drivers test or maybe prom is this Saturday and you haven’t rented your tux yet. I don’t know. I’m not there with you.

I promise you this though, being unable to handle being called out without pouting for over a day and trying the “oh this must be a recycled poster” bit is weak. Softer than a Disney matinee.

I do not think the search function goes back that far but yes most/many, including me, thought that the 9-10 wins did not make up for his demeanor and I think more importantly his getting blasted every time he played Wisconsin - I still think his firing was justified. On the the flip side I think Solich should have been given more time if only to show other coaches we may have been able to hire that he was on the down hill slope
I never said his firing wasn’t justified. I believe it was as well. But I don’t believe he was fired for only winning 9 or 10 games a season as ROA claims people were saying.

So was he fired because he wasn’t winning enough? That’s been my question all along. I contend he wasn’t fired for only winning 9 or 10 games a season. It was the 4 games he lost per year and the manner in which he lost them. It was that he was a jerk and everything else I have posted. If you are actually telling me you believe he was fired for not winning more than 9 or 10 games a year for 7 years then I need to apologize to RedOnAir.

I never said his firing wasn’t justified. I believe it was as well. But I don’t believe he was fired for only winning 9 or 10 games a season as ROA claims people were saying.

So was he fired because he wasn’t winning enough? That’s been my question all along. I contend he wasn’t fired for only winning 9 or 10 games a season. It was the 4 games he lost per year and the manner in which he lost them. It was that he was a jerk and everything else I have posted. If you are actually telling me you believe he was fired for not winning more than 9 or 10 games a year for 7 years then I need to apologize to RedOnAir.
Nope I agree with you. If Pelini had a different attitude he would still be coaching here he was not fired for winning 9-10 games. But 9-10 was not enough to put up with everything else from him. If he had won one or two conference titles even with his caustic style he would still be here also

DUDE

I don’t even believe people actually think he was fired for winning 9-10 games. Read what I’m saying and not what you think I’m saying.

Good post. Really I think the only difference we're having is why Bo was fired.

I really don't believe the sole reason why he was fired was because of his record. Bo didn't have to be Mike Riley nice, but if he would have acted more like a professional & actually wanted to be here, Bo would still be coach at Nebraska.

Maybe having Eichorst and Riley here will end up being a great thing for Nebrasla football because it led us to getting Frost. Obviously we'd all prefer we didn't have to go down such a terrible road, but it is what it is.

I agree in that we're really going to enjoy Frost & the success he will bring and leave all of this bs will be behind us!

I've heard a thousand reasons why he was fired. I really don't know. We can agree he wasn't a grossly inept HC like Clownahan & Smiling Mike but he just couldn't break through to greatness. So, for one reason or another, he had to go. As you mention, I'm sure his attitude didn't help. :)

Haha! Yes, I think there's a LOT of truth to that. I hadn't really thought of that before. If it takes Smiling Mike losing to everybody to bring in an ace HC.....so be it. Good point compadre'!

Yep, we've hung in there with some really rough, rough sledding recently. It's now payback time for US! :)

GBR!!

Reactions: HuskerO
You seem to have a problem with comprehension. I don’t know. Maybe it’s because you’re nervous about your first drivers test or maybe prom is this Saturday and you haven’t rented your tux yet. I don’t know. I’m not there with you.

I promise you this though, being unable to handle being called out without pouting for over a day and trying the “oh this must be a recycled poster” bit is weak. Softer than a Disney matinee.

But the 15 year old shtick, that there is unique and clever.

Let's summarize -

I replied to a post with the following;

So you're mad at the eventual result and the intended hire not the fact that a 9 win coach or, as you wrote a coach who had a better first 6 years than Devaney or Osborne, was fired.

To which you replied

Man! You guys are gonna really enjoy 2005 when you get to it. I will warn you though...don't get too excited about 2009 because your heart is gonna freaking' BREAK in December, and don't tie up all your financials in the housing market. Just...trust me on this.

Then you went on to post more posts yesterday, than you did during your 2011 tour. Your posts were almost exclusively about old topics.

But the 15 year old shtick, that there is unique and clever.

Let's summarize -

I replied to a post with the following;

To which you replied

Then you went on to post more posts yesterday, than you did during your 2011 tour. Your posts were almost exclusively about old topics.

Seriously. I know a guy at Men’s Warehouse. It may not be an exact fit but we will get you set up.

You’re right on one thing. He was fired for being a dick who didn’t care much for the people around him and couldn’t pretend.

You’re wrong in that plenty of people made it about Bo’s record so that they didn’t look 10-ply soft. That’s where the “a monkey could win 10 games here” crap came from.
Explain this then. I said it wasn’t about Bo’s record and you said “You’re wrong in that plenty of people made it about Bo’s record.”

I have asked for proof that people actually said the reason Bo was fired was because of his record. You know, the 9-10 wins a season thing? Still waiting...

There was once this little group of message board nazi's.. they were wrong about Bo Pelini, and they were wrong about Mike Riley. They loved to gang up on people, the tough internet bully's that they were, and spew their garbage and bs at other unsuspecting fans.. They disappeared for awhile, but it seems they are back. So whatever their party line is, just remember, they are 0 for 2 kids, and we don't listen to losers do we? Ok good.

Reactions: RedOnAir
DUDE

I don’t even believe people actually think he was fired for winning 9-10 games. Read what I’m saying and not what you think I’m saying.
Clearly posters are misinterpreting what you're trying to say so maybe that's on you too. Especially when timnsum and I respond with "It wasn't just because of Bo's record which is why he was fired. It was much more than that, etc, etc."

Then you respond with "Do you possess the ability to read?" and "Try to pay attention." which is a very lazy response and doesn't address what's being said.

Also,
If you two want to pretend that there weren't people trying to lie and justify their desire for the firing by saying 9-10 wins wasn't good enough
You’re wrong in that plenty of people made it about Bo’s record so that they didn’t look 10-ply soft. That’s where the “a monkey could win 10 games here” crap came from.
People tried to claim it was about his record, that is where the “a monkey could win 9 games here” crap came from.

This is you ONLY bringing up Bo's record multiple times. Nothing else about Bo's demeanor which was a major factor leading to his firing. Funny how there's confusion from what you are stating...

Clearly posters are misinterpreting what you're trying to say so maybe that's on you too. Especially when timnsum and I respond with "It wasn't just because of Bo's record which is why he was fired. It was much more than that, etc, etc."

Then you respond with "Do you possess the ability to read?" and "Try to pay attention." which is a very lazy response and doesn't address what's being said.

Also,

This is you ONLY bringing up Bo's record multiple times. Nothing else about Bo's demeanor which was a major factor leading to his firing. Funny how there's confusion from what you are stating...

Read, bud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT