ADVERTISEMENT

Rehashing the Past....again

This is a badly written blog post by someone who desperately wants to be taken seriously as a writer and a thought influencer in our fan base. My lord. You shouldn't expect much from people who write for SB Nation or (since I've seen outside the Nebraska bubble and see how dumb we look sometimes) any Husker fan with a blog, but holy hell Salt Creek and Stadium. What is this sentence?

For questioning whether Tom Osborne’s choices to lead the program?

Questioning whether they what? Were the right choice? Wore enough red? Talked about how well the guys "moved around" enough? Kept their khaki's dry?

You don't want the past rehashed because you were probably one of the people who were such arrogant jerks when you got your way with the firings of Solich and Pelini, only to see your chosen ones fail miserably. You're bitter about that, and that is exceptionally weird.

What's even more weird is how much you take exception to someone talking about the fans and not saying "THEY'RE THE GREATEST AND THE BESTEST EVER AND THE SMARTEST AND THE PRETTIEST". He didn't bash the fan base. He pointed out an obvious fact, that the last 20 years have changed how we perceive the program. We have different expectations now.

Then, you go from whining that he is talking about the past administration, to saying that if he's going to blame anyone, it should be the past administration? Please tell me you're not paid to write.

This is the same garbage that a few posters on here are trying to get away with. It's a reason I basically didn't post from 2011 on. More people are concerned about their methods being right than they are figuring out how to get the team back on course and enjoying what should be one of the few unifying things in our state (besides, of course, the Kearney Arch). The same posters who spent the last three years calling people "BoBots" and talking about "that psycho" and diagnosing quarterbacks with Aspberger's suddenly want to move on? Because what? It'll make them appear to have been wrong, too, if we don't?

Frost is only saying these things not to manage expectations and make things easier for him, but to illustrate that the narrative that you just can't win here nowadays is pure and utter bunk. There is a way to do things here, and that hasn't been done for 20 years. He is going to get back to that and it'll work. That's what he wants you to take away. No more. No less.

If a guy wants to say that, no more, no less, there are far easier and less controversial ways to say it. This thread illustrates why it is a very bad idea to revisit this topic, especially when you weren't here to live through it.

If a guy wants to say that, no more, no less, there are far easier and less controversial ways to say it. This thread illustrates why it is a very bad idea to revisit this topic, especially when you weren't here to live through it.

It’s not like he’s walking out there and offering his opinions unsolicited.

The problem with Frank's "changes" is that he didn't change some of the recurring problems with his staff and by hiring Bo and Carl made some things worse. Yes we had a better defensive performance that year but some of the thing SP was most upset about were off the field staff issues and our poor recruiting. Bo and Carl did nothing to help those problems.

Off the field staff issues PRIOR to Bo and Carl? I'm not doubting you... just wondering if you can elaborate.

It’s not like he’s walking out there and offering his opinions unsolicited.
He's too smart to take the bait. He can, and I think will, do better. Just stay away from pointless negativity, especially when he did not live through it.

Pretty sure that we are talking about two completely different things.

Not at all. You’re claiming Frost is being too negative. He isn’t. He is stating established fact. No one is drawing him offside and he certainly isn’t jumping on his own.

Not at all. You’re claiming Frost is being too negative. He isn’t. He is stating established fact. No one is drawing him offside and he certainly isn’t jumping on his own.

You are pretty quick to tell me what I am talking about. Actually, what I am talking about is his tendency to say that Nebraska fans are wiser now, that they previously fell into the "grass is always greener" mindset. Those statements are not about facts. They are opinions. You and I can disagree as to whether it is productive to discuss them. But they are opinions not facts.

Not for what Pedeson had in mind with Hiring Dave Wannstedt.... Now if he would have hired say someone like Gary Patterson YES.
I still wonder what NU would have been, if Dollar Bill had gotten his way and hired Mack Brown... curiosity is all. I did love the Frankie years for what they were though.

You are pretty quick to tell me what I am talking about. Actually, what I am talking about is his tendency to say that Nebraska fans are wiser now, that they previously fell into the "grass is always greener" mindset. Those statements are not about facts. They are opinions. You and I can disagree as to whether it is productive to discuss them. But they are opinions not facts.

No...that is a pretty established fact as well. Nebraska fans tried to run both Devaney and Osborne out before they won championships because of various reasons. They succeeded in running Solich out. Callahan ran himself out. Nebraska fans succeeded in running Bo out with a huge assist from Bo himself. Riley ran himself out. Nebraska fan has ALWAYS thought that their coach wasn’t good enough if he goes a few years without winning one. There is absolutely no room for debate on this.

Wrong. It was a select few people that ran him out. This fanbase was fractured from that day forward... likely until Scott came aboard.

Btw. Bo dug his own grave. Again, a similar select few people did the work behind the scenes.

Well, Bo having to work with the terminal brain-dead SE didn't help much.

It amazes me how many posters hate Bo for only winning 9 or 10 games for each of his seven years here but dream up 10,000 daily excuses for their beloved Clownahan & Smiling Mike. Heh....it's really something.

It amazes me how many posters hate Bo for only winning 9 or 10 games for each of his seven years here but dream up 10,000 daily excuses for their beloved Clownahan & Smiling Mike. Heh....it's really something.
Not sure whom you are stating any of that to?

People weren’t anti-Bo fans because of his 9-10 win seasons... it was his demeanor, his disdain for the fans, his lack of care for tradition, 408 and other blowouts... it amazes me that certain posters think others wanted Bo gone for any other reason than this. It’s really something.

And Callahan and Riley were supported until they showed they couldn’t hack it here. Some didn’t see it as soon as others, but eventually, the vast majority came to that conclusion as well.

People weren’t anti-Bo fans because of his 9-10 win seasons... it was his demeanor, his disdain for the fans, his lack of care for tradition, 408 and other blowouts... it amazes me that certain posters think others wanted Bo gone for any other reason than this. It’s really something.

And Callahan and Riley were supported until they showed they couldn’t hack it here. Some didn’t see it as soon as others, but eventually, the vast majority came to that conclusion as well.

You’re right on one thing. He was fired for being a dick who didn’t care much for the people around him and couldn’t pretend.

You’re wrong in that plenty of people made it about Bo’s record so that they didn’t look 10-ply soft. That’s where the “a monkey could win 10 games here” crap came from.

No...that is a pretty established fact as well. Nebraska fans tried to run both Devaney and Osborne out before they won championships because of various reasons. They succeeded in running Solich out. Callahan ran himself out. Nebraska fans succeeded in running Bo out with a huge assist from Bo himself. Riley ran himself out. Nebraska fan has ALWAYS thought that their coach wasn’t good enough if he goes a few years without winning one. There is absolutely no room for debate on this.

Well, there you go. Nothing in there that wasn't anything but facts. You can keep going. But I am done.

You’re right on one thing. He was fired for being a dick who didn’t care much for the people around him and couldn’t pretend.

You’re wrong in that plenty of people made it about Bo’s record so that they didn’t look 10-ply soft. That’s where the “a monkey could win 10 games here” crap came from.
Wrong. No one made it about his record. It was about his blowout losses, his disdain for fans, he loathed recruiting, he was a jerk, taunted the administration, etc.

He won 9 or 10 games here every year. No one complained about that. It was the 4 losses per year that became too much to handle.

Where many fans were wrong, you rightly point out. Fans assumed the 9 win seasons would magically continue. They didn’t. However, I don’t ever remember a single poster saying he was fired because he didn’t get to 11 games.

Bo wasn’t hated by fans because he won 9-10 games a year. Not sure where you are coming up with this.

Wrong. No one made it about his record. It was about his blowout losses, his disdain for fans, he loathed recruiting, he was a jerk, taunted the administration, etc.

He won 9 or 10 games here every year. No one complained about that. It was the 4 losses per year that became too much to handle.

Where many fans were wrong, you rightly point out. Fans assumed the 9 win seasons would magically continue. They didn’t. However, I don’t ever remember a single poster saying he was fired because he didn’t get to 11 games.

Bo wasn’t hated by fans because he won 9-10 games a year. Not sure where you are coming up with this.

Even a trained monkey can win 9 games at NU.

I’m not saying he was. Try to pay attention.

People tried to claim it was about his record, that is where the “a monkey could win 9 games here” crap came from.

I’m not saying he was. Try to pay attention.

People tried to claim it was about his record, that is where the “a monkey could win 9 games here” crap came from.
Try to pay attention yourself. No one claimed it was about his record. I totally disagree with you. People thought the 9 wins would continue after he was fired, for sure, and that was wrong. But people who wanted Bo gone weren’t saying he wasn’t winning enough. It was that he was losing specific games, and losing them horribly. It was that he was a jerk. It was that he loathed recruiting and loathed the fans. He was repeatedly blown out by Wisconsin. 408 yards in 3 quarters? 71 points given up to a 7-5 team? Miracle Ameer TD against McNeese State... I’m not sure why you are struggling with this. People were not saying he wasn’t winning enough. They were complaining about his losses, and everything else I have referenced in 3 straight posts.

I know where the monkey and 9 wins came from. I was here and I saw those posts. It was a mantra used not in support of firing Bo; it was a mantra used in support of Riley, refuting those who were saying Riley would suck here. Those who were saying monkey and 9 wins were wrong about that. Obviously. Riley did suck here.

It amazes me how many posters hate Bo for only winning 9 or 10 games for each of his seven years here
Posters here didn't hate Bo for his record. It was because he was a complete jerk and psycho.

The only way Bo could continue to act the way that he did is if he had won something of significance.

If Bo was less of a jerk & he had the exact same results (9-10 wins per season) he'd most likely still be coach here.

Try to pay attention yourself. No one claimed it was about his record. I totally disagree with you. People thought the 9 wins would continue after he was fired, for sure, and that was wrong. But people who wanted Bo gone weren’t saying he wasn’t winning enough. It was that he was losing specific games, and losing them horribly. It was that he was a jerk. It was that he loathed recruiting and loathed the fans. He was repeatedly blown out by Wisconsin. 408 yards in 3 quarters? 71 points given up to a 7-5 team? Miracle Ameer TD against McNeese State... I’m not sure why you are struggling with this. People were not saying he wasn’t winning enough. They were complaining about his losses, and everything else I have referenced in 3 straight posts.

I know where the monkey and 9 wins came from. I was here and I saw those posts. It was a mantra used not in support of firing Bo; it was a mantra used in support of Riley, refuting those who were saying Riley would suck here. Those who were saying monkey and 9 wins were wrong about that. Obviously. Riley did suck here.
100% on the money.

You didn’t read or you have selective memory because it absolutely happened.

I took my dog for a walk this afternoon and he took a shit under a pine tree..... I couldn’t get to it; arthritis and what not.

Posters here didn't hate Bo for his record. It was because he was a complete jerk and psycho.

The only way Bo could continue to act the way that he did is if he had won something of significance.

If Bo was less of a jerk & he had the exact same results (9-10 wins per season) he'd most likely still be coach here.

Well, you may very well be correct sir.

However, I do recall clearly endless posters (right here) stating his 9 or 10 wins were a joke that could be accomplished by "anybody". Also, Frank got us to a NC game and also won a conference championship. Fired him.

Bo was just an eyelash away from winning a conference championship and always won 9 or 10 games for seven consecutive years. Fired him.

To fire Frank & Bo for Clownahan & Smiley Mike is truly a horror movie. Add in Pedeyshine & SE and it's the wildest science fiction book ever written.

Haha.....but anyways, we were about one nano-inch away from becoming a Minnesota clone. Davison, TO & Moos saved our bacon big-time. We're as lucky as lucky gets.

Let's just agree to disagree as it's no biggie. Fair enough?

We're all going to have big fun this fall partner!!

GBR!!

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun
Well, you may very well be correct sir.

However, I do recall clearly endless posters (right here) stating his 9 or 10 wins were a joke that could be accomplished by "anybody". Also, Frank got us to a NC game and also won a conference championship. Fired him.

Bo was just an eyelash away from winning a conference championship and always won 9 or 10 games for seven consecutive years. Fired him.

To fire Frank & Bo for Clownahan & Smiley Mike is truly a horror movie. Add in Pedeyshine & SE and it's the wildest science fiction book ever written.

Haha.....but anyways, we were about one nano-inch away from becoming a Minnesota clone. Davison, TO & Moos saved our bacon big-time. We're as lucky as lucky gets.

Let's just agree to disagree as it's no biggie. Fair enough?

We're all going to have big fun this fall partner!!

GBR!!
Very well stated. Nothing wrong with this post. Well done.

You didn’t read or you have selective memory because it absolutely happened.
So people said 9-10 wins wasn’t enough and he should have been fired?

You’re right, I didn’t read this. We agree on that much at least.

I largely agree with the blog post. My only point of disagreement is I think maybe it's a little too critical of Frost. I have to admit I don't like the clear delineation Frost seems to be making about the last 4 coaches which basically amounts to "Solich and Pelini good, Callahan and Riley bad.". Of course it's not wrong at all to say that Callahan and Riley were failures, but I wish he wouldn't just paper over the failures of Solich and Pelini and suggest that it was just the fans expecting too much. Then again, none of that is a surprise because we all knew even before he was hired which "side" he was on with all of that. I guess maybe I'm willing to cut him a little more slack right now, even if I don't agree with what he says. I'm willing to swallow some of that now as long as he gets the program back to where it should be, which I think he will.

One of the best columns I read about Frost's hiring talked about how one of the greatest things about it was it was something every Husker fan could agree on and get behind. We could finally put behind all of the discussion and division over past coaches. It didn't matter whether you were a Solichista or not, whether you were a Boliever or a Bo-leaver-none of it mattered anymore. Nobody expects people to stop talking about past coaches, but at least it should take away a lot of the anger and division among the fanbase over it. While I think that has been true to some extent, I don't think his hire has been quite as unifying as it could be because some people just don't want to forget about past divisions. I wish Frost would set the example better. But again, I'm willing to cut him slack for now and hope that he talks more about the future and not the past.
Why does everyone have to write off the last 20 years as a complete failure? Yeah most of that time hasn't been up to the standards of what Nebraska had been or even should be, but there's still plenty to be proud about. We've continued the sellout streak, had some great players come through here and do some things in the NFL, and even had several decent seasons during that stretch that could have been special if a couple things went our way. I don't know why there's a movement by some fans right now to dismiss the last 20 years like they never even happened, but I don't think it helps anything.

I didn't hate Bo at all. As far as being a jerk and a psycho, most coaches are. It's kind of the nature of the job. He's a good person though and there's many examples that showed that. That being said, I'd much rather have Frost coaching here than Bo. We've got the right guy now.

You probably won't get much response. The fan's ego is also pretty fragile right now.

There is also a portion of the fan base that is preparing themselves for 5-7 wins this year, who are also managing expectations. They want Frost to be the answer, as do I and everyone else, so if they set the bar low, they can still have hope for next year and the years that follow. If they set the bar at 8 or better, and Nebraska doesn't reach that level in year one, then they would have to have someone to blame. So they set the bar low, blame the Big Ten and the schedule and hope that Frost exceeds their lowered expectations.

Agreed. I try to have only the desire to see a competitive team and no blow outs and a bowl game. That sounds low, but after last season, it will be a big relief for me for this first season to look like a decent college football team instead of a group of guys only dressed like one with no real coaching direction. And, no, I am NOT making this an anti-riley thread. I just want to see a real football team.

Why does everyone have to write off the last 20 years as a complete failure? Yeah most of that time hasn't been up to the standards of what Nebraska had been or even should be, but there's still plenty to be proud about. We've continued the sellout streak, had some great players come through here and do some things in the NFL, and even had several decent seasons during that stretch that could have been special if a couple things went our way. I don't know why there's a movement by some fans right now to dismiss the last 20 years like they never even happened, but I don't think it helps anything.

I don't know that many people are doing that, but if they are, maybe because so many records were flushed down the toilet and ended and several traditions were just dismissed off hand IMO and others'.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT