ADVERTISEMENT

Refs are ruining the NFL

Every reviewed play was eventually given the correct outcome. The roughing on Brady was garbage but there were a lot of bad calls that went both ways. The Offensive PI that wasn’t called on KC on the swing pass to the running back that went for 50 yards and resulted in the KC’s last TD was far more egregious than the pick play called on the patriots. KC’s defensive backs were getting away with holding that was being called on the New England backs. It evened out. Neither side can complain. The Chiefs should have tried getting a third down stop if they wanted to win.
Every reviewed play was eventually given the correct outcome. The roughing on Brady was garbage but there were a lot of bad calls that went both ways. The Offensive PI that wasn’t called on KC on the swing pass to the running back that went for 50 yards and resulted in the KC’s last TD was far more egregious than the pick play called on the patriots. KC’s defensive backs were getting away with holding that was being called on the New England backs. It evened out. Neither side can complain. The Chiefs should have tried getting a third down stop if they wanted to win.
You sure about that? This sure looks like an incompletion to me

Reactions: headcard
Hey... look at my post about 5 threads above yours.

Yea I watched it live, I'm at work and can't find you a clip for Brady's play, but you can see in what you showed the there was no contact with his helmet. On the Brady play, initial contact hit the facemask which cause the down field official to throw the flag. I'm not saying it was a good call, but I understand why the flag got thrown. Bang bang play at high speeds, its easy for those of us gifted with slow mo instant replay to pick them apart.

His arm was under the ball and it never left his control when it touched the ground, so yes it does look like a completion. I'm pretty sure they went with play stand as called because there wasn't sufficient evidence to say it wasn't a catch, but to me i looks like a catch 100%.

Yea I watched it live, I'm at work and can't find you a clip for Brady's play, but you can see in what you showed the there was no contact with his helmet. On the Brady play, initial contact hit the facemask which cause the down field official to throw the flag. I'm not saying it was a good call, but I understand why the flag got thrown. Bang bang play at high speeds, its easy for those of us gifted with slow mo instant replay to pick them apart.
Hence both should be NO Calls

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Hence both should be NO Calls

Again, I never said I agreed with them, I said I could see why the Brady flag got thrown at full speed. Slow mo is way different than live, and live he saw a hand come at the front of Brady's helmet followed by Brady reacting to contact and he tossed the flag. If both flags were thrown I'd have a much larger problem with Mahomes getting a flag than Brady didn't.

His arm was under the ball and it never left his control when it touched the ground, so yes it does look like a completion. I'm pretty sure they went with play stand as called because there wasn't sufficient evidence to say it wasn't a catch, but to me i looks like a catch 100%.
He clearly did not have "control" the ball coned out of his forearm on ground contact.

Hey I am a Chargers fan, so I am definitely not biased towards the Chiefs either. Just want to get that out there

There’s a clip in this thread, not even close to hitting his face mask. Come on, you are really going through some mental gymnastics to come up with that one.

Also, at the end of the day, don't lay an egg in the first half and the Chiefs win going away. Quit picking apart the officiating which was terrible both ways, and blame shitty Andy Reid coaching.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
You mean this clip where his hand grazes his facemask? Put yourself behind the QB in that situation at live speed and I bet you'll understand how its possible a flag was thrown.
He didn’t touch his face mask, it was a total blown call. I believe a NFL official can be expected to see that for what it is. Mahomes was lit up releadidly and they let them play and then you try to justify throwing a flag on the clip you linked. Yes, thoughts and prayers for Tom after surviving that.

Again, I never said I agreed with them, I said I could see why the Brady flag got thrown at full speed. Slow mo is way different than live, and live he saw a hand come at the front of Brady's helmet followed by Brady reacting to contact and he tossed the flag. If both flags were thrown I'd have a much larger problem with Mahomes getting a flag than Brady didn't.
You are missing the point. The inconsistency is where I have the big problem. You can't call Roughing on Brady, when the exact same thing was not called on Mahomes earlier in the game. It really is that simple. Your argument is that it was a Bang Bang play. Was the Mahomes play not Bang Bang?

These "calls" and "judgements" did seem to happen at good times for the Patriots. That so called "catch" puts them at 4th and 8 if they make the right call. Unbiased people like myself clearly see the ball moving on ground contact.

Unbiased people see one team getting the calls that the other team isn't.

Also, at the end of the day, don't lay an egg in the first half and the Chiefs win going away. Quit picking apart the officiating which was terrible both ways, and blame shitty Andy Reid coaching.
I never get this mentality. NFL officiating is a well paid, competitive field, just like coaching. Why do some people think professional officials are above roreach and should never be questioned, but at the same time it’s OK to criticize and bad mouth the coaching staff?

Looks like the fix was in, the ball hit the ground it wasn't a catch

The ball can touch the ground. It was close and the replay wouldn’t have overturned the call regardless of which way it went. It wasn’t indisputable and the call stood. It was the right call.

The ball can touch the ground. It was close and the replay wouldn’t have overturned the call regardless of which way it went. It wasn’t indisputable and the call stood. It was the right call.
I thought that about the muffed punt, but somehow that was overturned. The now the ball can move and can hit the ground and still be a catch? Interesting.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I thought that about the muffed punt, but somehow that was overturned. The now the ball can move and can hit the ground and still be a catch? Interesting.

The muffed punt was absolutely conclussive. It took a few camera angles but each questionable spot was able to be cleared based on a different angle.

Besides, KC got an int and td off that in the end any ways.

Exactly. I agree with Headcard here. "Catch" play was iffy to me. AND if you are going by "indisputable" then yes go by ruling on field.

Then why was muffed punt overturned? If that was "unable to be challenged or denied", the definition of indisputable, then I get to bang Gizell every night.

Refs suck. People bitching about the Chiefs DBs holding etc all night. How many times Brady sacked? 0 if iirc. Pats Oline THAT good? Or holding like mothers the entire night. And if memory serves, 0 holding calls on Pats.

You are missing the point. The inconsistency is where I have the big problem. You can't call Roughing on Brady, when the exact same thing was not called on Mahomes earlier in the game. It really is that simple. Your argument is that it was a Bang Bang play. Was the Mahomes play not Bang Bang?

These "calls" and "judgements" did seem to happen at good times for the Patriots. That so called "catch" puts them at 4th and 8 if they make the right call. Unbiased people like myself clearly see the ball moving on ground contact.

Unbiased people see one team getting the calls that the other team isn't.

No, unbiased people see the refs making misktakes like they always do. Dorsett got called for a pick earlier in the game. Offensive PI should have been called on the play above. Refs are human. Inconsistencies happen.

The catch was a catch based on the new rules.

Last edited:
Where did it touch him?
It MAY have touched his thumb. Hell they didnt do a great job on the replays and Im not sure if it didnt graze his upper arm either. It was ruled a muff on the field. Indisputable means "unable to be challenged or denied". With the video IN MY OPINION, and I would wager others, it could still be challenged or denied. It was in fact not without dispute. Therefore I go with ruling on field.

We are talking about calls that win or lose games

How about PI no call on the Rams... Saints win the game if that is called. I for one would like to see the true Super Bowl. The one with the teams that didn't get jobbed by the Refs

You can't give Brady and NE a 15 yd penalty on a "I thought I saw it, but didn't actually see it" call. If you don't have the angle you don't make the call. The fact that people are justifying that call is laughable! That call was on a very crutial time in the game. The ref needs to eat the whistle 100% of the time in a situation like that. It was obvious in the replay the ref that made the call did not have the right angle to make it.

That is when the official needs to step in and pick the damn thing up!

I was rooting hard for the Chiefs and am grumpy as hell this morning. But it’s not the officiating that has me irritated. I had no issue with how any of the reviewed plays turned out.

Dee Ford lining up offside is an unforced error, that had he not made it - the Chiefs would have won the game. He wasn’t drawn offside by a Brady hard-count. He didn’t leave early trying to anticipate the snap. He lined up a few inches to far forward. Just a massive gaffe that people in Kansas City will be talking about for decades.

Mahomes missing a wide-open Williams for a sure TD in the 2nd quarter was also huge. I haven’t looked close enough to see if he was rushed or if his vision was obscured. What a difference those 7 points would have made...

And the other thing was the end of the first half...the Patriots looked like they were just running out the clock at the end of the first half. It was strange - they were in no hurry, handing the ball off and letting the clock run. The Chiefs actually called time-out on 3rd and 4 with 1:13 to go. Then the Pats immediately got aggressive after the TO and score late in the half to go up 14-0. Maybe NE planned to get aggressive all along, but it sure looked like KC did them a huge favor calling a time-out there.

It MAY have touched his thumb. Hell they didnt do a great job on the replays and Im not sure if it didnt graze his upper arm either. It was ruled a muff on the field. Indisputable means "unable to be challenged or denied". With the video IN MY OPINION, and I would wager others, it could still be challenged or denied. It was in fact not without dispute. Therefore I go with ruling on field.

Around 1:10 right thumb is clearly not touched. And around 1:20-1:23 the left thumb is clearly not touched. The arm was never in question. The ball never changed direction. Everyone knows he didn’t touch it. Chiefs fans/pats haters just won’t admit that the video shows that. You honestly think he touched it? I’m not asking if you agree the video proves it because you will never admit that. I’m asking if you think he touched it. Yes or no?

I was rooting hard for the Chiefs and am grumpy as hell this morning. But it’s not the officiating that has me irritated. I had no issue with how any of the reviewed plays turned out.

Dee Ford lining up offside is an unforced error, that had he not made it - the Chiefs would have won the game. He wasn’t drawn offside by a Brady hard-count. He didn’t leave early trying to anticipate the snap. He lined up a few inches to far forward. Just a massive gaffe that people in Kansas City will be talking about for decades.

Mahomes missing a wide-open Williams for a sure TD in the 2nd quarter was also huge. I haven’t looked close enough to see if he was rushed or if his vision was obscured. What a difference those 7 points would have made...

And the other thing was the end of the first half...the Patriots looked like they were just running out the clock at the end of the first half. It was strange - they were in no hurry, handing the ball off and letting the clock run. The Chiefs actually called time-out on 3rd and 4 with 1:13 to go. Then the Pats immediately got aggressive after the TO and score late in the half to go up 14-0. Maybe NE planned to get aggressive all along, but it sure looked like KC did them a huge favor calling a time-out there.
If you can judge your team you can judge the officiating. I had no dog in either fight, and do not like the officiating in either game. Spare me with the "My team could of performed better" speech. The officials could of performed better too

Around 1:10 right thumb is clearly not touched. And around 1:20-1:23 the left thumb is clearly not touched. The arm was never in question. The ball never changed direction. Everyone knows he didn’t touch it. Chiefs fans/pats haters just won’t admit that the video shows that. You honestly think he touched it? I’m not asking if you agree the video proves it because you will never admit that. I’m asking if you think he touched it. Yes or no?
Can you rule out it didn't touch the tips of his fingers on the initial bounce? I sure can't

Can you rule out it didn't touch the tips of his fingers on the initial bounce? I sure can't

Yes. The video shows the ball bounces in front and to the right of his left hand. His fingers hit the ground. The ball didn’t change direction. Edelman didn’t react like a guy who muffed a punt. I think they got it right. The rules expert for CBS agreed. Do you think it touched it? Yes or no?

At least the call didn’t matter. The Chiefs got a pick and a td anyways. There were lots of bad calls/no calls in the game. And certainly ones that had a bigger impact than this.

Yes. The video shows the ball bounces in front and to the right of his left hand. His fingers hit the ground. The ball didn’t change direction. Edelman didn’t react like a guy who muffed a punt. I think they got it right. The rules expert for CBS agreed. Do you think it touched it? Yes or no?

At least the call didn’t matter. The Chiefs got a pick and a td anyways. There were lots of bad calls/no calls in the game. And certainly ones that had a bigger impact than this.
I have looked at that video multiple times and can not rule out that his left hand finger tips did not tough that ball. Inconclusive to me, not reversable imo

If you can judge your team you can judge the officiating. I had no dog in either fight, and do not like the officiating in either game. Spare me with the "My team could of performed better" speech. The officials could of performed better too

Well, wake me when the posts judging the officiating bring something new to the table. It’s the same, simple back and forth every time. Bad call goes against my team so I bitch about it. It is quickly met with an example of a bad call that went against the other team. And round and round it goes.

I have looked at that video multiple times and can not rule out that his left hand finger tips did not tough that ball. Inconclusive to me, not reversable imo

I was fully expecting this call to get overturned. There were 2 or 3 angles that, when blended together showed me enough evidence that Edelman never touched the ball.

It's getting bad. Roger needs to do something. The Saints belong in the Super Bowl and everyone knows it. And I'm a Birds fan who doesn't like Sean Payton.
I disagree. The Saints were lucky to be in that position due to other missed calls including a 3rd down facemask that would have given the Rams a sure TD instead of a FG...

You can't pick and choose the calls that count based on the time of the game...

Reactions: Husker4real
Well, wake me when the posts judging the officiating bring something new to the table. It’s the same, simple back and forth every time. Bad call goes against my team so I bitch about it. It is quickly met with an example of a bad call that went against the other team. And round and round it goes.
I am a Chargers fan... There is no my team in this. I want fair officiating, is that too much to ask for?

Looks like the fix was in, the ball hit the ground it wasn't a catch
THE BALL CAN HIT THE GROUND!

Geez people.

It all comes down to control before, through, and after the ball touching. Did the ground help him keep that ball under control? No. He had that elbow squeeze on it before, during, and after.

Know the rules.

I am a Chargers fan... There is no my team in this. I want fair officiating, is that too much to ask for?

And you’re getting it. The officiating in professional sports is the best in the world.

Others are not asking for fair though, they’re asking for perfect. That, they will not get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT