ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt and scholarship numbers...

agree ... other teams are improving ... we are not (except northwestern ... thank goodness for northwestern). Do you think we can eek out of the lower half of the division next year or do you think the coaches of those other teams in our conference are going to keep trying to make their teams better.

it is so unfair when other teams get better
I think only tough guys know, why ask me tough guy? According to you, we are crap, so, youd best be right, or youll be looking awfully wimpy

Man Frost was really lucky to take over UCF. Hard to really evaluate his coaching and program building abilities when you get gifted a program “in damn near perfect condition” like UCF
Or, he's smarter than you think you are.

So, when that assessment was made, what changed? Mo? Gaylord? Several wrs no shows? No O linemen jucos? Our center retires? Qbs leave late.
There's more, much more. LBs selling real estate, leaving in pairs. More wr no shows. RBs not contributing.
Best pro prospect has to be benched. Was it only him?
There's a reason why we have 40 of 85 guys as frosh. Didn't see him mentioning that part. Funny he didn't.
Oh, then theres two players breaking the law.
This team has been set back, and whether it was fate, or needed, it's happened and over with.
Let's see how things go going forwards
It's a head coaches responsibility to handle all of that. Do you really think other programs don't run into these same issues? Every program has to deal with it and some are still able to perform at a high level. That's what the coach gets paid $5 million a year to do.

It's a head coaches responsibility to handle all of that. Do you really think other programs don't run into these same issues? Every program has to deal with it and some are still able to perform at a high level. That's what the coach gets paid $5 million a year to do.
He has, that's why we have 40 of our 85 guys that are freshmen. That means, they haven't played much or not at all.
I bet every coach, as you casually role out these words, like this happens to every coach, as you imply, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find 40 of the 85 as true and redshirt frosh on the 'every coach' team you speak of, because, therein lies the fix, the problems, given in sheer numbers.
So, show us a similar team with 40 frosh,if it's as common and casual as you say exactly as you say.
Then, how does this effect a team?

Should we just assume all teams have 40 frosh on them then? Like you seem to do, or how getting there, having 40 frosh never ever would have a different effect on any given team, since you appear to think it's either very common having 40 frosh, or, every coach has done it with no ill effects.
So, which is it? Having 40 frosh on your team normal, and we should expect business as usual,and SF is a 4-8 coach?
Or, in a rebuild, where a former staff left holes in a team, where even more were created through attrition?
And those things did effect the team?
Ask yourself, why did Moos say 6-6? Do you think there may have been a certain plan in place? That the current numbers of available players might get us there?
Why didn't he buy into the hype? Why did he say just get to a bowl hopefully? And, a fg, or stopping a kick return away, thats exactly how close we were, where some will just say, a loss is a loss, but those same people didnt predict 6-6.
But both Moos and SF did, thus, the plan for redshirting.

So, try and bash that assessment too, but reality and fact, and those knowing way ahead of time where we're truly at, you know, those 'it happens to every coach' guys we have coaching our team?
Yea, they knew, and THATS why they're making the big bucks.
Take a few changes that happened I mentioned, besides losing your kicker, one field goal away from a perfect assessment.

Reactions: leodisflowers
He has, that's why we have 40 of our 85 guys that are freshmen. That means, they haven't played much or not at all.
I bet every coach, as you casually role out these words, like this happens to every coach, as you imply, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find 40 of the 85 as true and redshirt frosh on the 'every coach' team you speak of, because, therein lies the fix, the problems, given in sheer numbers.
So, show us a similar team with 40 frosh,if it's as common and casual as you say exactly as you say.

entering fall camp ..

Nebraska had 66% of the roster as fresh/soph

Purdue 72%
Indiana - 72%
Minnesota - 69%
Iowa - 67%
Wisconsin - 64%

we were 0-5 against those teams

entering fall camp ..

Nebraska had 66% of the roster as fresh/soph

Purdue 72%
Indiana - 72%
Minnesota - 69%
Iowa - 67%
Wisconsin - 64%

we were 0-5 against those teams
Thats a lie. But you know this. Now, to expose it, and were talking who's played and are no longer rs frosh here, thus the forty, thus the decision to redshirt those guys, tell us, just how many are scholarship?
So, in other words, you didn't address a thing thats been said, did you?

No, you didnt. Redshirt frosh can't play more than 4 games. Walkons don't rs like the scholly guys do.
So, without definition, as I succinctly said, 40 of the 85, and thats this year, or, guys who didnt play more than in 4 games plus this years class at this point.

So, go back, if you want, and define it to even start to make a point. Otherwise, concede, and understand until you can prove things differently, you arent even making an argument here.

For example, purdues current roster has 57 frosh on it, while we have 78. Now, do those numbers fit your percentages? No, because thats outside of whats been said

Oh, this has absolutely nothing to do with sophomores, nothing at all, unless you want to include sophomores that red shirted this year, I believe we had two.
And, by including sophomores helps prove my point,thank you, because we had 1 more recruit than purdue did last year, so, the disparity in your numbers is due to sophs still on the team, unlike our every coach goes through what this coach did.
So, no ones saying our upper classmen were world beaters here, and while purdues and northwesterns are graduating qbs, we lose backups and start frosh.

Last edited:
Thats a lie. But you know this. Now, to expose it, and were talking who's played and are no longer rs frosh here, thus the forty, thus the decision to redshirt those guys, tell us, just how many are scholarship?
So, in other words, you didn't address a thing thats been said, did you?

No, you didnt. Redshirt frosh can't play more than 4 games. Walkons don't rs like the scholly guys do.
So, without definition, as I succinctly said, 40 of the 85, and thats this year, or, guys who didnt play more than in 4 games plus this years class at this point.

So, go back, if you want, and define it to even start to make a point. Otherwise, concede, and understand until you can prove things differently, you arent even making an argument here.

For example, purdues current roster has 57 frosh on it, while we have 78. Now, do those numbers fit your percentages? No, because thats outside of whats been said

Oh, this has absolutely nothing to do with sophomores, nothing at all, unless you want to include sophomores that red shirted this year, I believe we had two.
And, by including sophomores helps prove my point,thank you, because we had 1 more recruit than purdue did last year, so, the disparity in your numbers is due to sophs still on the team, unlike our every coach goes through what this coach did.
So, no ones saying our upper classmen were world beaters here, and while purdues and northwesterns are graduating qbs, we lose backups and start frosh.

Freshman on the 2 deep depth chart (offense + defense)

Nebraska - 9
Iowa - 15

Should we just assume all teams have 40 frosh on them then? Like you seem to do, or how getting there, having 40 frosh never ever would have a different effect on any given team, since you appear to think it's either very common having 40 frosh, or, every coach has done it with no ill effects.
So, which is it? Having 40 frosh on your team normal, and we should expect business as usual,and SF is a 4-8 coach?
Or, in a rebuild, where a former staff left holes in a team, where even more were created through attrition?
And those things did effect the team?
Ask yourself, why did Moos say 6-6? Do you think there may have been a certain plan in place? That the current numbers of available players might get us there?
Why didn't he buy into the hype? Why did he say just get to a bowl hopefully? And, a fg, or stopping a kick return away, thats exactly how close we were, where some will just say, a loss is a loss, but those same people didnt predict 6-6.
But both Moos and SF did, thus, the plan for redshirting.

So, try and bash that assessment too, but reality and fact, and those knowing way ahead of time where we're truly at, you know, those 'it happens to every coach' guys we have coaching our team?
Yea, they knew, and THATS why they're making the big bucks.
Take a few changes that happened I mentioned, besides losing your kicker, one field goal away from a perfect assessment.
It was this staff's decision to either chase off guys or not even bother trying to retain players who were thinking about transferring. You can't do that and then blame all your problems on having a young team. This staff is directly responsible for how young the roster is. By the way most people here were applauding us getting rid of those guys, but now they want to blame all of our problems on having a young team. Where do the excuses end?

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
How many played that were on scholly? And how many are still frosh?

those are 2019 depth chart numbers - I assume most or all of the 2 deep players played

but if you just want to look at freshman starters:

Nebraska - 2
Iowa - 3

Freshman on 2 deep depth chart

Purdue - 18
Indiana - 10
Nebraska - 9

It was this staff's decision to either chase off guys or not even bother trying to retain players who were thinking about transferring. You can't do that and then blame all your problems on having a young team. This staff is directly responsible for how young the roster is. By the way most people here were applauding us getting rid of those guys, but now they want to blame all of our problems on having a young team. Where do the excuses end?
No, you start out with another attack first. They didnt run off guys they wanted, those guys ,several of them ,went all to one school.
There was a qb and a LB they didn't run off thats playing at osu west now. Not sure about the wr.
But yes, one guy they did run off? The juco rb. To my knowledge, there may have been one other, so, running off two or three guys arent in the realm of the numbers I'm talking.

Purdue - 18
Indiana - 10
Nebraska - 9
Ok, now, I know purdues numbers were almost identical to ours, why nine players? Assuming theyre all scholarship players, nine is alot in an almost identical class, thats half a class?
It still doesn't address who redshirted, but the numbers show injuries and redshirting plans to keep them off the two deep, placing other players ahead to be ready to preserve those redshirts while also coaching up someone to take their place.
It's right in front of you

Purdue - 18
Indiana - 10
Nebraska - 9
Do you see it now? Purdues class had 27, we had 28. Now, thry had 18 guys on their two deep, who was redshirted,who knows?
We has 9, half of purdues numbers, guys like Benhart,Ty Rob etc, they red shirted. NPG wasnt listed, he was hurt, there's others.
Why I mentioned those guys, and others is because, their ratings are much higher than purdues guys, yet, there was a decision to redshirt them, and thats the point here.
Yes, we lost to them, others we should have beat as well, but the target was 6 wins. The coaches are stocking shelves first. Our wrs arent on our two deep, but they were 4 star guys too,now,all redshirt frosh.

This is a planned rebuild, the numbers prove it, and the coaches don't merit putdowns unless their plans dont work out. Thats why I defend them at this point, we simply, you and I, simply dont know what we have yet, but the cupboards are almost full instead of empty, and no, it hasn't been pretty, but it's about to become business as usual, and your claims of it happens to every coach can and should then apply, but this year and last were spent rebuilding it right, the TO way, or, do you actually think SF didn't pick TO's brain while doing this?
If this doesn't work, the staff has no excuses, and while I point out what they did as not an excuse, plans aren't excuses, but calljng them a failure before fruition and defending that aren't either.

Yes, we lost to them, others we should have beat as well, but the target was 6 wins. T

the coaches don't merit putdowns unless their plans dont work out. .

seems like losing to teams we should have beat and missing a meager target of 6 wins could be filed under "plans not working out"

Last edited:
seems like losing to teams we should have beat and missing a meager target of 6 wins could be filed under "plans not working out"
Go back and read a fg, stopping a kick return for a td, losing your kicker. Thats how far off they were.
That is true, they missed a bowl game, not by alot, but they did. It doesn't place more confidence in me towards them.
But the plans arent done, as the redshirting is to pay off for the future. One year of making the orville redenbocker bowl or not isn't even in the conversation about filling our roster with actual recruits, not walkon fillers, not qb projects made into wrs etc, but a real full recruited roster, having depth and skill.

Now, it's been since Callahans guys left or roster is mostly filled and balanced, its this year thats important, not whether we got to see them play with popcorn flying at half time.

Go back and read a fg, stopping a kick return for a td, losing your kicker. Thats how far off they were.
That is true, they missed a bowl game, not by alot, but they did. It doesn't place more confidence in me towards them.
But the plans arent done, as the redshirting is to pay off for the future. One year of making the orville redenbocker bowl or not isn't even in the conversation about filling our roster with actual recruits, not walkon fillers, not qb projects made into wrs etc, but a real full recruited roster, having depth and skill.

Now, it's been since Callahans guys left or roster is mostly filled and balanced, its this year thats important, not whether we got to see them play with popcorn flying at half time.

no one gives an F about the actual bowl game ... missing the 15 practices leading up to the shit bowl you might qualify for, however, is a major deal. We have missed out on the equivalent of an entire fall camp over the last 2 seasons because we have yet to be able to somehow muster 6 wins.

you have been completely ignoring and continue to ignore what has been going on... I don’t think anyone is defending our season or saying that it a success... what we are saying is that there is improvement when you take everything into consideration, the decision to redshirt guys to build for the future, playing a more difficult schedule (which you conveniently ignored) you and oldjar have it out for HCSF when the reality is, we still don’t know exactly what we have from him as our head coach... I think we are moving in the right direction, just not as fast as anyone wanted to be, including HCSF... it is evident that you’re going to take the numbers and twist them to fit your agenda, just like you will take quotes and twist them... not every program is the same, not every program is stocked with the same talent... when everything is on even settings that’s where the coaching truly matters... . it’s about the jimmies and joes not the x and os and that’s what every coach understands and says

y. . it’s about the jimmies and joes not the x and os and that’s what every coach understands and says

seems like Frost thought a lot of the problems were the "X's and O's"

Frost - big ten media days 2018

“I have some optimism because they had an awful culture,” he (Frost) said. “They weren’t strong. They weren’t in shape. The schemes were bad last year and they still went into the fourth quarter tied with Wisconsin. They should’ve won two or three more games."

Last edited:

“I have some optimism because they had an awful culture,” he (Frost) said. “They weren’t strong. They weren’t in shape. The schemes were bad last year and they still went into the fourth quarter tied with Wisconsin. They should’ve won two or three more games."
and I’m sure he did think that... by the way have you ever been wrong? I’m assuming not based off of all your high standards... again HCSF may not be wrong but you’re taking quotes from two years ago, from before his 1st actual season here of implementing a new offensive system, and you’re tying to fit them in to today’s issues... sorry it don’t work that way

Frost did some shit-talking re Riley that was probably ill-advised. But in reality, NU is a Tommy Armstrong away from having four losing seasons in row. A culture of losing can be hard to break.

and I’m sure he did think that... by the way have you ever been wrong? I’m assuming not based off of all your high standards... again HCSF may not be wrong but you’re taking quotes from two years ago, from before his 1st actual season here of implementing a new offensive system, and you’re tying to fit them in to today’s issues... sorry it don’t work that way

agree. ... those are foolish statements to make before even coaching one full season.

reminder ... I didn’t say them. Hopefully
Frost learned after year one not to make these type of foolish statements going forward.

agree. ... those are foolish statements to make before even coaching one full season.

reminder ... I didn’t say them. Hopefully
Frost learned after year one not to make these type of foolish statements going forward.
oh please don’t miss quote me or take my words out of context, this is twice now that you have done this... I did not say it was foolish.... what I do hint at however is that you’re quite foolish if you are going to hang onto his every word and throw it back in his face two years later when that statement is out of context and not valid in this discussion

Why do you insist on being a loser? Demand it as a matter of fact? Are you just a loser?

you have been completely ignoring and continue to ignore what has been going on... I don’t think anyone is defending our season or saying that it a success... what we are saying is that there is improvement when you take everything into consideration, the decision to redshirt guys to build for the future, playing a more difficult schedule (which you conveniently ignored) you and oldjar have it out for HCSF when the reality is, we still don’t know exactly what we have from him as our head coach... I think we are moving in the right direction, just not as fast as anyone wanted to be, including HCSF... it is evident that you’re going to take the numbers and twist them to fit your agenda, just like you will take quotes and twist them... not every program is the same, not every program is stocked with the same talent... when everything is on even settings that’s where the coaching truly matters... . it’s about the jimmies and joes not the x and os and that’s what every coach understands and says
Have it out for Frost? Lol if it was any other coach with this record I'd be railing to run him out of town already. I think Frost has the potential to be a very good coach though and want to see him succeed. That doesn't mean I'm going to make every excuse in the book for him. A lot of the problems we've had the last two years were of Frost and staff's own doing. I'm willing to give him time to get those issues fixed, but vast improvements do need to be made. 6 wins or just making a bowl game is not an acceptable standard at Nebraska. If a 9 win average and never winning a championship is all Frost accomplishes at Nebraska, I'd be just fine with that. However he does need to start putting an acceptable product on the field.

Have it out for Frost? Lol if it was any other coach with this record I'd be railing to run him out of town already. I think Frost has the potential to be a very good coach though and want to see him succeed. That doesn't mean I'm going to make every excuse in the book for him. A lot of the problems we've had the last two years were of Frost and staff's own doing. I'm willing to give him time to get those issues fixed, but vast improvements do need to be made. 6 wins or just making a bowl game is not an acceptable standard at Nebraska. If a 9 win average and never winning a championship is all Frost accomplishes at Nebraska, I'd be just fine with that. However he does need to start putting an acceptable product on the field.
Quit making excuses for your losing pov.
Yu rail on and on about the battles, but hardle say a word about the war.
Thats a losing attitude, its making excuses for why you care, while you take your eye off the real deal.

Who cares about this year? Or last? In this war, you should be asking things like, who do we have coming in? How many? How good?
Instead, you make excuses to complain and deride the staff. They are doing it their way, and while you may ght not like the path they're taking us down, it's where we end up that counts.
So stop the excuses, stop the put downs, enjoy the ride, because that building part that you can't stomache is all but done.

Reactions: Clemke32
again I feel myself re stating what I have continued to say, there is no one making excuses for him. We all agree and want to see a better product, where we start to differ is in the understanding and appreciation of the struggles that Frost has had to go through, I’m sorry that you see facts as an excuse but they are not... we are progressing, and by all means we are not progressing at the rate anyone wanted us to, including HCSF... you and your buddy have tried to dig and contort anything HCSF has said to paint him as a failure... HCSF is a young couch, right or wrong? HCSF only has what 4 years of head coaching experience (actual game coaching) yes he is going to make mistakes, he has embraced his errors and he is working on adjusting them... the standard that all Nebraskans hold is to compete for a National Title but contrary to whatever it is you and your friend think it takes time to get there, it takes time to build the proper depth (hints all the redshirts, even when we needed them to be playing) HCSF sacrificed the short term future in order to leverage long term stability. The fact that you and the rest of your cult can’t understand that is just beyond me... take a step back and sure be critical but appreciate the process and under stand what is happening right in front of your eyes... and understand that with the route he decided to take he knew he’d catch hell but still chose that route to do what was best for the long term stability of the program...

f.. we are progressing, ..

if a reasonable goal is winning the division or finishing as high as possible in the division, please explain how finishing in 5th place in 2018 and then 6th in 2019 represents progress

apologies if you meant to type "regressing" rather than progressing in which case I agree

Thing is, if we'd won more games, every game decided by one score, we'd still be the same team coming into next year. And next year, we will again be better.

So no excuses of having to place yourself above a certain outcome means nothing.Fans are like the guy watching the guy going to the tailgate that only look back or to the side.

if a reasonable goal is winning the division or finishing as high as possible in the division, please explain how finishing in 5th place in 2018 and then 6th in 2019 represents progress

apologies if you meant to type "regressing" rather than progressing in which case I agree
again I refer you to the win column this year vs last year, then invite you to look at the strength of schedule for this year compared to last year... one more win vs a more difficult schedule... even if you think that’s marginal it’s still progress... sorry that your feelings are that the schedule wasn’t any more difficult but all systems used to calculate SOS and was used to calculate the BCS standings actually show our schedule was in deed more difficult... so again nice attempt but your perceived SOS does not trump actual SOS

again I refer you to the win column this year vs last year, then invite you to look at the strength of schedule for this year compared to last year... one more win vs a more difficult schedule... even if you think that’s marginal it’s still progress... sorry that your feelings are that the schedule wasn’t any more difficult but all systems used to calculate SOS and was used to calculate the BCS standings actually show our schedule was in deed more difficult... so again nice attempt but your perceived SOS does not trump actual SOS

This how you become Iowa or Indiana as a program ... where finishing 6th in a 7 team division is claimed by fans as progress because the other teams in your division improved more than you did. Or how one score games even though you lost were close and could have been wins. And how getting to 5 wins by simply not losing to a sunbelt team when you still only managed 3 conference wins for the second year in a row is touted as progress.

you sir, are an enemy of the program

Reactions: oldjar07
This how you become Iowa as a program ... where finishing 6th in a 7 team division is claimed by fans as progress because the other teams in your division improved more than you did. Or how one score games even though you lost were close and could have been wins. And how getting to 5 wins by simply not losing to a sunbelt team when you still only managed 3 conference wins for the second year in a row is touted as progress.

you sir, are an enemy of the program
you sir are an idiot... you really should attempt to read, and understand what you’re reading... I’m done responding to you... no that does not mean I see it your way, it means I now see you are dense and this is an exercise of futility

Reactions: leodisflowers
you sir are an idiot... you really should attempt to read, and understand what you’re reading... I’m done responding to you... no that does not mean I see it your way, it means I now see you are dense and this is an exercise of fruition
He's just making excuses to cover what he doesn't know. Every post is an excuse, and that's what I see on other teams boards, exactly his kind of posting.
Excuse maker
Those other teams are loser teams too. Those types need to place themselves above the fray of understanding, they do this by put downs, or mirroring their own actual doings. Like telling others they're making excuses, all the while, its them that are making the excuses, because they don't understand things like improving,how to build a team etc. How players improve year to year, how frosh usually shouldn't start etc etc

Thats a losing attitude, its making excuses for why you care, while you take your eye off the real deal.

Who cares about this year? Or last? In this war, you should be asking things like, who do we have coming in? How many? How good?
Instead, you make excuses to complain and deride the staff. They are doing it their way, and while you may ght not like the path they're taking us down, it's where we end up that counts.
So stop the excuses, stop the put downs, enjoy the ride, because that building part that you can't stomache is all but done.

Uh, not really my argument here but you do have to win battles to win the war, just saying.

So when is it acceptable to start expecting results?

So when is it acceptable to start expecting results?

Expectations will be dampened to mirror results. They already have.

6-7 wins next year (year 3) will be met with great enthusiasm. Go back and review the expectations after the initial hire and even after year 1.

I think a kid that has the genes, the temperament,the coordination, the gifts, the size to beat out kids their age. But not necessarily kids older than them.
Funny how each player will get ignored when they all tell us, hey, those other guys? They're on scholarship too.
It's only the coaches approach proves MR is better than SF right? He's had many more players from Nebraska go to the nfl than SF, so, he's the better coach.
Ignore the fact that the Nate Gerrys, the Maliek Collins' worked their butts off, despite of reports of SnC slacking during MR times.
It wasn't those players work, it wasn't their drive, it was MR, the coach, had to be. But,he didn't win much, then how does this work?
Those who feel it's mostly or purely a coaching thing, explain the above, where we blame teams like texas, all world recruiting, sending guys to the pros,same for usc, yet MR was doing the same thing, but all had bad teams?
There's a difference between bad coaching and great players , and building great players and great coaching, but the winning sometimes take time, as those players become great.

So, name our pros lately, but don't bother to think they're on the team right now, but they just arent ready yet, but, jump the gun, and expect winning,it shouldnt matter, theres a hole in that reasoning,especially those that put down improvements seen, just not on their timeline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT