ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt and scholarship numbers...

We had 3 returning starters on this year's line and all got worse to start the year. We need to do things to get these guys prepared to start the year because they haven't been the last 2 years. That's why you see "improvement" as the year goes on because these guys weren't prepared to start the year.

got worse? Our Dline did fairly well. Now I’ll give you our LBs didn’t do well at times and definitely didn’t fill in like they should have more times then not but our Dline did just fine.

Maybe because there's 3 linemen rushing and only 1 linebacker. Our lack of pass rush is not just 1 guy's fault. And Stille isn't going to help much with a pass rush. He was just as bad as everybody else and even worse against the run. I also don't think we go from terrible linebacker play to very good in just 1 year.
Did you bother to look at my links? And, did you see Stilles numbers? You are getting further and further away from the facts here, the system, the style of play, and who's making them, including Stille.

Now, as to LB, tell me the two deep? Show us the two deep at ILB? Now, how about OLB?
I know you dont have links, but we really didn't have a two deep for much of the year, so, I'll ask you this, how many true freshmen did we put in the two deep?
Now, I'll ask you this, this staff can recruit, so, why did they recruit several jucos who have little time here, since we have those freshmen? This makes no sense since we wont get much better at LB, your words.

So, what youre saying then, if you'd bothered to look at my links, going on your comments, wiscy had three LBs rushing and only one linemen?
Look at my links, top three sackers were all LBs for wiscy, typical of a 3-4, not your tackles, where two of our tackles had more sacks than our top LB.
Our backers were bad, couldnt get home, unlike wiscys, it wasnt as though they didnt try, our backers. As a matter of fact, our rushing LB had zero sacks,none,bupkus.
This all changes this coming year, the style will change, we will be more like wiscy, since we will finally have players like wiscy, and in numbers enough for some depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
Did you bother to look at my links? And, did you see Stilles numbers? You are getting further and further away from the facts here, the system, the style of play, and who's making them, including Stille.

Now, as to LB, tell me the two deep? Show us the two deep at ILB? Now, how about OLB?
I know you dont have links, but we really didn't have a two deep for much of the year, so, I'll ask you this, how many true freshmen did we put in the two deep?
Now, I'll ask you this, this staff can recruit, so, why did they recruit several jucos who have little time here, since we have those freshmen? This makes no sense since we wont get much better at LB, your words.

So, what youre saying then, if you'd bothered to look at my links, going on your comments, wiscy had three LBs rushing and only one linemen?
Look at my links, top three sackers were all LBs for wiscy, typical of a 3-4, not your tackles, where two of our tackles had more sacks than our top LB.
Our backers were bad, couldnt get home, unlike wiscys, it wasnt as though they didnt try, our backers. As a matter of fact, our rushing LB had zero sacks,none,bupkus.
This all changes this coming year, the style will change, we will be more like wiscy, since we will finally have players like wiscy, and in numbers enough for some depth.
Our style of 3-4 is very different from Wisconsin's. They run more of a true 3-4 while we are mostly in over or under fronts. I've seen Stille try to pass rush. He's not good. He mostly plays patty cake with the offensive line like he does in the run game. We're taking a major step down from the Davis twins if we're relying on Stille and Thomas to be our DE's. Our linebackers were bad. I'm not denying that. The DL wasn't much better.

ahh thank you for the numbers.... Now I’m just trying to figure out how I feel about that... it’s awesome that he has flipped this roster so quick, but kinda crappy that most of the starters and two deep still are not his players.... it makes me wonder if we are still going to have to deal with a quitters mentality next year as well? Or do you think next year you will see a big jump in HCSF guys numbers in the two deep... I think now that we have such high numbers of kids that have used their redshirt year I’d like to see those redshirt guys pushing for more playing time, so they can get the game reps and develop further... my only issue I’d have then is starting so many young kids next year, would that put us through another year of struggles or would we see improvement because those kids won’t give up once they hit a difficult stretch..

I think with those questions it’s why it takes a while to actually flip a program and change the culture... we now have a majority of Scott’s kids on the roster, now it’s a letter of getting them in the two deep and finding the balance of have experience, and the new mindset, to push through adversity
With the schedule we have next year, it is time to through the young ones to the fire. We probably will not be an 8 win team. Get the youngsters experience and be ready for year four.

With the schedule we have next year, it is time to through the young ones to the fire. We probably will not be an 8 win team. Get the youngsters experience and be ready for year four.

win-some-games
cease with the difficult schedule propaganda

Last edited:
Our style of 3-4 is very different from Wisconsin's. They run more of a true 3-4 while we are mostly in over or under fronts. I've seen Stille try to pass rush. He's not good. He mostly plays patty cake with the offensive line like he does in the run game. We're taking a major step down from the Davis twins if we're relying on Stille and Thomas to be our DE's. Our linebackers were bad. I'm not denying that. The DL wasn't much better.
Stille finished third on the team in both tfls and sacks. You will see more true 3-4 when our backers can play it right.
We had no choice, our backers werent getting there, then, they ,our opposition, discovered they also couldn't cover,and over ran on runs, they simply weren't fast enough to do either, because of our active front, which I would put up our three guys against many four man front numbers, only minus the one man, or, 3/4 numbers. Basically, one of our tackles led the nation at D tackle in sacks, and was rated fairly high overall all pass rushers nationally.
Its why minnys coach said what he said after our game, we were exposed earlier, they noticed, game planned it and kicked our butts.
It wasn't the play of our line, it was the lack of skills at LB and depth for adjustments. We tried by subbing in Lee a few times, but the communication was so poor it only helped a little. Wiscys LBs have those skills.

So again, our style was partly dictated by our skillset, but thats because that lack of skillset existed at LB, not our line.
We don't have DE's, we have tackles.

win-some-games
cease with the difficult schedule propaganda
One non p5, cincy, pounded their p5 team in their bowl, pounded ucla, theyll be tough. They beat ucf as well. Lost to Memphis who played psu close in their bowl.
Basically, the conference, in particular the west, is getting better.
That's indisputable.

One non p5, cincy, pounded their p5 team in their bowl, pounded ucla, theyll be tough. They beat ucf as well. Lost to Memphis who played psu close in their bowl.
Basically, the conference, in particular the west, is getting better.
That's indisputable.

Cincinnati will be in their third year after hiring a new coach to take over a 4-8 program .. no way they should beat Nebraska at home unless there is a huge disparity in the quality of the hires made by the 2 programs.

and yes conference games tend to be tough when you have regressed relative to the rest of division since hiring a new coach

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Cincinnati will be in their third year after hiring a new coach to take over a 4-8 program .. no way they should beat Nebraska at home unless there is a huge disparity in the quality of the hires made by the 2 programs.

and yes conference games tend to be tough when you have regressed relative to the rest of division since hiring a new coach
So, cincy should just be as you say and not as they are, ok.
They were the second or third best g5 team. They will be tough.
As for the current team, why do you think we have a new coach? Name all our great players?
Has cincy sent more guys to the pros? Are we really that much more talented? What is it, 8 SF guys started?
Just some reality there

Last edited:
So, cincy should just be as you say and not as they are, ok

no given the state of the programs (nearly identical) when Fickell and Frost took over - 2 years ago ... given the vastly superior resources and monies for recruiting, staff hiring etc, etc,etc... we shouldn’t be lagging behind a midmajor. But alas Cincinnati is where they are under Fickell and we are where we are under Frost — fretting about playing a midmajor at home

not counting Notre Dame or BYU - both who have had invites to power 5 conferences - not many Nebraska coaches with 2 midmajor losses on their resumes.

Big failure if we aren’t 3-0 in the non conference games.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
no given the state of the programs (nearly identical) when Fickell and Frost took over - 2 years ago ... given the vastly superior resources and monies for recruiting, staff hiring etc, etc,etc... we shouldn’t be lagging behind a midmajor. But alas Cincinnati is where they are under Fickell and we are where we are under Frost — fretting about playing a midmajor at home
You sure? What got SF here? Answer that first, and auburn says hello.

You sure? What got SF here? Answer that first, and auburn says hello.

a single great season at a midmajor program that earned him the right to succeed or fail at a power 5 school. Some in Frosts situation have succeeded - many have failed. His record at UCF is irrelevant as to whether or not he will succeed at Nebraska.

we shouldn’t be losing home games to midmajors in year 3

Last edited:
a single great season at a midmajor program that earned him the right to succeed or fail at a power 5 school. Some in Frosts situation have succeeded - many have failed.
And ucf is still a good team, but would be better under SF. Cincy is a good team.

Just this year, not counting last, cincy has three nfl players who may get drafted, how many we got?
https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/1...ats-vs-mem-2020-nfl-draft-prospects-to-watch/

Our talent level hasn't been that good. Last two years we lost or tied everyone in all of cfb in nfl draftees, where anhuge majority beat us.
More reality.

Look right now the verdict is still out on coach Frost, but you can not honestly say that with two coaches in year three of a hire if one is doing better than the other then there is a vast difference in quality... there are a lot more variables that go into this then just wins and losses, how much a scheme change did Cincy go through? How different are the schemes, how much attrition happened, what was the culture like, how is it now...

What a lot of y’all seem to completely over look is that basically within a span of three years Nebraska completely changed their defensive and offensive schemes... the 3-4 was brought in in the middle of HCMR’s time here, his offense was similar to what was ran by Bo... we then canned HCMR and brought in HCSF who kept the 3-4 which had only been here for what a year or two, and then completely over hauled the offense... so we were working with a D that was never fully developed with players that were built for a 3-4 and now we are dealing with trying to get the right player types for the offense as well...
for those that say the fundamentals are the same, yes you are correct, but the conditioning and the nuances are not, the body types are not, what traits are preferred are not... this is why everyone with knowledge has said it would take three to four years for the over haul... it’s been two years of actually playing time... Scott has been here for a little over three years now... let’s give him some time before we say he washed out, and maybe research what was going on between the two programs before anointing one coach superior to the other

And ucf is still a good team, but would be better under SF. Cincy is a good team.

Just this year, not counting last, cincy has three nfl players who may get drafted, how many we got?
https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/1...ats-vs-mem-2020-nfl-draft-prospects-to-watch/

Our talent level hasn't been that good. Last two years we lost or tied everyone in all of cfb in nfl draftees, where anhuge majority beat us.
More reality.

Kudos to Coach Fickell and his staff for coaching a developing that low 3 star and two 2 stars into potential NFL draftees in only their second year at Cincinnati

Look right now the verdict is still out on coach Frost, but you can not honestly say that with two coaches in year three of a hire if one is doing better than the other then there is a vast difference in quality... there are a lot more variables that go into this then just wins and losses, how much a scheme change did Cincy go through? How different are the schemes, how much attrition happened, what was the culture like, how is it now...

What a lot of y’all seem to completely over look is that basically within a span of three years Nebraska completely changed their defensive and offensive schemes... the 3-4 was brought in in the middle of HCMR’s time here, his offense was similar to what was ran by Bo... we then canned HCMR and brought in HCSF who kept the 3-4 which had only been here for what a year or two, and then completely over hauled the offense... so we were working with a D that was never fully developed with players that were built for a 3-4 and now we are dealing with trying to get the right player types for the offense as well...
for those that say the fundamentals are the same, yes you are correct, but the conditioning and the nuances are not, the body types are not, what traits are preferred are not... this is why everyone with knowledge has said it would take three to four years for the over haul... it’s been two years of actually playing time... Scott has been here for a little over three years now... let’s give him some time before we say he washed out, and maybe research what was going on between the two programs before anointing one coach superior to the other
Agreed

Kudos to Coach Fickell and his staff for coaching a developing that low 3 star and two 2 stars into potential NFL draftees in only their second year at Cincinnati
Did you check? Are those guys at ucf lowly three and two star guys too? Muaga got ratings bumps because we went after him, if it were cincy,or a 2017 ucf, he wouldnt have.
This staff added talent or coached it up at ucf too, but their older guys were long,lean and very fast, not us here, but at ucf, they fit body wise, talent wise, but weren't highly rated either.
It's more than you think,or are giving credit for.

.. this is why everyone with knowledge has said it would take three to four years for the over haul... it’s been two years of actually playing time... Scott has been here for a little over three years now... let’s give him some time before we say he washed out, and maybe research what was going on between the two programs before anointing one coach superior to the other

you do realize our head coach coach, after having 7 months to evaluate his roster and watch tape of our conference opponents said we would compete for the division in year 2 and it would only go up from there

you do realize our head coach coach, after having 7 months to evaluate his roster and watch tape of our conference opponents said we would compete for the division in year 2 and it would only go up from there
So, when that assessment was made, what changed? Mo? Gaylord? Several wrs no shows? No O linemen jucos? Our center retires? Qbs leave late.
There's more, much more. LBs selling real estate, leaving in pairs. More wr no shows. RBs not contributing.
Best pro prospect has to be benched. Was it only him?
There's a reason why we have 40 of 85 guys as frosh. Didn't see him mentioning that part. Funny he didn't.
Oh, then theres two players breaking the law.
This team has been set back, and whether it was fate, or needed, it's happened and over with.
Let's see how things go going forwards

you are seriously delusional buddy... from everything I recall him SERIOUSLY saying is that it will take time... he has also said it has taken more time then he’d like... everyone would have LIKED to have been competing in two years... and I’m sure that if he did say that and I’m just not remembering it I’m sure it was said shortly after being hired and he never had a grasp of what the state of what was going on... but either way I’m chalking you up to a lost cause and delusional with very little knowledge of how football works... I get it you’re a results orientated person... and the results don’t measure up... and I won’t argue there... but if you’re not smart enough to realize there is a lot lore that goes into this then I can’t help you, I’d have better results trying to argue my point to a brick wall... I’m just glad you’re not the One calling the shots in the athletic department... because it’s way too early to tell what we have right now...

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
you are seriously delusional buddy... from everything I recall him SERIOUSLY saying is that it will take time... he has also said it has taken more time then he’d like... everyone would have LIKED to have been competing in two years... and I’m sure that if he did say that and I’m just not remembering it I’m sure it was said shortly after being hired and he never had a grasp of what the state of what was going on... but either way I’m chalking you up to a lost cause and delusional with very little knowledge of how football works... I get it you’re a results orientated person... and the results don’t measure up... and I won’t argue there... but if you’re not smart enough to realize there is a lot lore that goes into this then I can’t help you, I’d have better results trying to argue my point to a brick wall... I’m just glad you’re not the One calling the shots in the athletic department... because it’s way too early to tell what we have right now...
We do know one thing, we're incredibly young.

what do you mean IF he said it .... he said it roughly 7 months after being hired - already had a spring practice under his belt and 6-7 months of film study of divisional rivals - there wasn’t another person on earth with more information on the state of the team at the time of his prediction than Scott Frost had.

what do you mean IF he said it .... he said it roughly 7 months after being hired - already had a spring practice under his belt and 6-7 months of film study of divisional rivals - there wasn’t another person on earth with more information on the state of the team at the time of his prediction than Scott Frost had.
yes because a spring game and 7 months of film study is all you need... got it buddy

yes because a spring game and 7 months of film study is all you need... got it buddy

Agree ... pretty idiotic ...

A reminder - I wasn’t the one making these grandiose predictions about year 2 before even starting year 1 ..... buddy

A reminder - I wasn’t the one making these grandiose predictions about year 2 before even starting year 1 ..... buddy
hints why I capitalized SERIOUSLY... I’m sure it was tongue and cheek... look at what a majority of his statements were from the moment he was hired... or you can hitch your wagon on the one statement he made while trying to appease some of the fans that want to see a quick turn around...

You mean this exact quote?
Asked when his rebuilding program can legitimately contend in the Big Ten West, Frost replied: “I know if we’re getting better day by day, we’ll be really dangerous and hard to beat in the very near future. People better get us now.”

Now that was at the Big ten days conference. SF said what he said, not what you think he said. Yes, weve lost to iowa twice, easy out? Don't think so. If people spin things, you could interpret it to winning nattys.

Tired of people not taking things for what they mean, and only what they want them to mean.

Almost beating osu is dangerous, out gaining any other team wiscy played is dangerous.
Now, if you or anyone else wants to only add wins, instead of SFs actual words, by all means, go ahead, but it wasn't what was said, you're wrong.

Reactions: Clemke32
You mean this exact quote?
Asked when his rebuilding program can legitimately contend in the Big Ten West, Frost replied: “I know if we’re getting better day by day, we’ll be really dangerous and hard to beat in the very near future. People better get us now.”

Now that was at the Big ten days conference. SF said what he said, not what you think he said. Yes, weve lost to iowa twice, easy out? Don't think so. If people spin things, you could interpret it to winning nattys.

Tired of people not taking things for what they mean, and only what they want them to mean.

Almost beating osu is dangerous, out gaining any other team wiscy played is dangerous.
Now, if you or anyone else wants to only add wins, instead of SFs actual words, by all means, go ahead, but it wasn't what was said, you're wrong.

exact quote:

“We’ll be competing for our side” — meaning the West Division of the Big Ten Conference — “in Year 2,” Frost said. “I don’t know if we’ll win it. Then it just goes up from there.”

exact quote:

“We’ll be competing for our side” — meaning the West Division of the Big Ten Conference — “in Year 2,” Frost said. “I don’t know if we’ll win it. Then it just goes up from there.”
hmm that’s weird I don’t seem to see where he said we will win it.... I see where he said we will be competitive but not seeing where he said we will win it in year two... I do see an attempt to do some creative editing to manipulate a quote to fit your agenda... but I don’t see the quote. “ we will win our division by year two”... now to be devils advocate here we were not necessarily competitive either in year two... but yea that was only 7 months into the job when he said that, and I’m sure his intent was more of a he’d like to be competitive.

Now, we had a backup qb, backup center twice failed,rb leaves team, another rb leaves team, wr getting in trouble, other wrs a bust, no LBs, new ones hurt, others selling realestate and leaving team,others just quitting the team, NT gets his knees blown out, year two, they switch emphasis to redshirting players.

But thats just some of what happened.

Reactions: Clemke32
exact quote:

After giving us the link, please tell us it was all coaching, so we can all be so self assured like you seem to be?
We are still thin, but go ahead, give us the 'this happens to every team' line.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor.../scott-frost-nebraska-ready-year-2/819884002/

I think we can all agree that we hope Frost wins at least 10 games this year so he can at least tie the number of wins Riley had at the end of 3 years
Lets hope we get the same teams too. Matter of fact, in order for you statement to mean anything, it'd have to be exactly that.
Just so happens Illinois is having its best team in years, minny in decades, iowa and wiscy tough as always, and purdue comes out of nowhere. But sure, make those comparison put downs, I prefer mine

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor.../scott-frost-nebraska-ready-year-2/819884002/

I think we can all agree that we hope Frost wins at least 10 games this year so he can at least tie the number of wins Riley had at the end of 3 years
strange how in that very article you just linked he went on to stress if they played well... and if they didn’t play well they’d be thumped again.... you have tried to twist his words to fit your agenda of HCSF being inferior to the Cincy coach... you have done that with complete disregard to ALL factors that played a part of what happened in year two... you did it all based on a quote that was manipulated and out of context... He was asked a question about the rebuild that was ahead of him at Nebraska, he answered it based off his knowledge of his turn around at UCF but was upfront saying that we needed to perform... which we didn’t do
This is the very reason why I called you delusional and it’s why most of the same fans that take your position are also delusional... it does not take 2 years to turn a team around unless the program was in damn near perfect condition before

Lets hope we get the same teams too. Matter of fact, in order for you statement to mean anything, it'd have to be exactly that.
Just so happens Illinois is having its best team in years, minny in decades, iowa and wiscy tough as always, and purdue comes out of nowhere. But sure, make those comparison put downs, I prefer mine

agree ... other teams are improving ... we are not (except northwestern ... thank goodness for northwestern). Do you think we can eek out of the lower half of the division next year or do you think the coaches of those other teams in our conference are going to keep trying to make their teams better.

it is so unfair when other teams get better

agree ... other teams are improving ... we are not (except northwestern ... thank goodness for northwestern). Do you think we can eek out of the lower half of the division next year or do you think the coaches of those other teams in our conference are going to keep trying to make their teams better.

it is so unfair when other teams get better
Ahh the whole we are not improving angle... I love this angle... despite the fact that we had one more win than last year vs a more difficult schedule and injury issues at key positions, and line issues due to starting our 1st freshman center in history... yes no improvements at all on our side... and this is why I said I’d rather stress my points to a brick wall, it would get through quicker with the wall

... it does not take 2 years to turn a team around unless the program was in damn near perfect condition before

Man Frost was really lucky to take over UCF. Hard to really evaluate his coaching and program building abilities when you get gifted a program “in damn near perfect condition” like UCF

Last edited:
Ahh the whole we are not improving angle... I love this angle... despite the fact that we had one more win than last year vs a more difficult schedule and injury issues at key positions, and line issues due to starting our 1st freshman center in history... yes no improvements at all on our side... and this is why I said I’d rather stress my points to a brick wall, it would get through quicker with the wall

yes finishing 5th in the division in 2018 and then 6th in 2019 is super awesome improvement. Thank goodness we traded out Troy for S Alabama to get that ever elusive 5th win.

The point differential in big ten play was worse in 2019 than 2018 despite only playing one instead of 2 of the OSU-PSU-Michigan group and having Iowa, Wisc, OSU and Indiana at home + NW. 5 home conf games in 2019 vs 2018

but hey we didn’t lose to a sunbelt team at home this year .. So progress!!

Last edited:
yes finishing 5th in the division in 2018 and then 6th in 2019 is super awesome improvement. Thank goodness we traded out Troy for S Alabama to get that ever elusive 5th win.

The point differential in big ten play was worse in 2019 than 2018 despite only playing one instead of 2 of the OSU-PSU-Michigan group and having Iowa, Wisc, OSU and Indiana at home + NW. 5 home conf games in 2019 vs 2018

but hey we didn’t lose to a sunbelt team at home this year .. So progress!!
Well played way to go with your perceived strength of schedule over the actual strength of schedule... lasts year for the 18-19 season our SOS was 41.... this year was 27... soo yea with one extra win can a more difficult schedule I’d say yes we did improve... but to hell with reality if it don’t fit your agenda right?

Last edited:
strange how in that very article you just linked he went on to stress if they played well... and if they didn’t play well they’d be thumped again.... you have tried to twist his words to fit your agenda of HCSF being inferior to the Cincy coach... you have done that with complete disregard to ALL factors that played a part of what happened in year two... you did it all based on a quote that was manipulated and out of context... He was asked a question about the rebuild that was ahead of him at Nebraska, he answered it based off his knowledge of his turn around at UCF but was upfront saying that we needed to perform... which we didn’t do
This is the very reason why I called you delusional and it’s why most of the same fans that take your position are also delusional... it does not take 2 years to turn a team around unless the program was in damn near perfect condition before
I was going to mention that, but cut it off, called it like it is. Some fans just want wins, attach a coach until they do,change the words, the meanings etc. Let em,who cares

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT