Redshirt and scholarship numbers...

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by HBK4life, Jan 6, 2020.

1. HBK4life

HBK4life Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_2822219a-6ab2-56cd-947d-45dbd66f513e.html
    With two scholarship spots still remaining in the 2020 class, Nebraska can still add to its 23 signees so far in the current recruiting cycle. Overall, the school added 42 players to the program in December between the 23 scholarship players and 19 walk-ons (including Colorado State transfer offensive lineman Nouredin Nouili).

*** Of the 164 on the roster, 131 have joined the program in the two years since Scott Frost took over as head coach.
    *** A whopping 77 enter the 2020 season either as freshmen or redshirt freshmen. That number includes 40 scholarship freshmen and 37 walk-ons.
    That means 93.4% of the returning players have already used a redshirt season. That's part of the roster maturation process under Frost that can only happen with time.

2. NorthwoodHusker

NorthwoodHusker Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

It would have been lower yet if we'd had depth at backer.

3. Clemke32

Clemke32 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Eek Wow, I didn’t realize that he had flipped the roster so quick... Id have to take a look at the two deep and see how much of that is Frosts Scholarship players... I’m happy to see such a high percentage of players that had already used their redshirt, that can only help this program in developing.... Now let’s see how all this translates to the field

Red I 73 likes this.
  4. z28craz

z28craz Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Wow. I knew we were young and had some inexperience, but didn’t realize the full extent. I really expect the roster clip and the young talent that has been recruited to begin showing significant progress in the next two seasons.

5. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

On both sides of the ball I believe 19 of the 46 2 deep are Frost guys. 8 of the 32 are starters.

6. Clemke32

Expand Collapse

ahh thank you for the numbers.... Now I’m just trying to figure out how I feel about that... it’s awesome that he has flipped this roster so quick, but kinda crappy that most of the starters and two deep still are not his players.... it makes me wonder if we are still going to have to deal with a quitters mentality next year as well? Or do you think next year you will see a big jump in HCSF guys numbers in the two deep... I think now that we have such high numbers of kids that have used their redshirt year I’d like to see those redshirt guys pushing for more playing time, so they can get the game reps and develop further... my only issue I’d have then is starting so many young kids next year, would that put us through another year of struggles or would we see improvement because those kids won’t give up once they hit a difficult stretch..

I think with those questions it’s why it takes a while to actually flip a program and change the culture... we now have a majority of Scott’s kids on the roster, now it’s a letter of getting them in the two deep and finding the balance of have experience, and the new mindset, to push through adversity

7. husker2612

Expand Collapse

I said pretty well from day one that we won't know what Frost can really do until he has about 75% of the starters his type of players. Some assume that just because the roster is 75% his guys that "he has his guys" As the numbers show about 60% of the 2 deep and about 75% of the starters are still MR guys. At most his guys are going to be RS Soph and Juniors. It takes time to develop these guys. Even When looking at MR guys, if the S&C was as bad as reported basically from a development stand point even the RS seniors are only into year 3 of S&C and development. I do think we see a major spike as far as SF guys taking over and success.
    To answer the question I hear, " why was Frost able to have success year 2 at UCF, those weren't all his guys" I do think the AAC played a huge factor. Put that ucf 12-0 team in the BIG or SEC and they probably are a 3 maybe 4 loss team. Even so that would be better then what he is doing here. I think at UCF he already had his type of players on the roster, FL style speed is what he is after and UCF pulls a ton of their recruit from FL. Plus I am assuming the S&C program wasn't in the shitter. All he had to do was go in, reorganized, and give a direction.

7 husker2612, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    bshirt73 and Clemke32 like this.
  8. Clemke32

Expand Collapse

That’s a great break down. I think you hit the nail on the head there with the status of MR guys only in year three of strength and conditioning, it’s been the same thing I’ve been trying to stress as well with the critics, you were just able to articulate it so much better then I have to this point.
    The thing that worries me still now with so many of MR guys as starters and in the 2 deep, is if we are still going to have issues with but in or quitting. I hope that now we are starting to get the depth that we can bench kids who are not giving it all out there...
    One of my bigger worries has been Farniok, from what I’ve been told he has been one of the issues with attitude, as he thought his brother should be starting at center, I don’t know how true that is, but if true and he continues to have issues do you think we are in a position now to be able to pull him until he gets is attitude in check?

9. husker2612

Expand Collapse

That has been a concern of mine as well. How does a team get rid of that mind set, when those type of players are still around "infecting" the new guys coming in. Probably just a very slow process. Eventually those guys will become less and less and the players "infected" by them will become less and less.
    Again I think this is the year we really start seeing improvements. If we don't see a fairly big jump this year(8 or 9 wins) I really won't know what to say and have no more logical reason why the team is struggling so bad, except for coaching. Could be tough sledding from there on out for Frost unless he completely revamps his coaching staff and game philosophy. Im still holding on to what Carriker said when Frost was hired. Don't expect to much until year 4. Implying that year 4 is when he thought we could be on the same level as Ohio St and at least compete for a BIG10 title. So if that is true, we should see a pretty good jump year 3.
    To add, as far as Farniok. There are always going to be guys who don't follow in step with what the coaches want. The goal is to have a team where the vast majority are on the same page and doing things the right way. Then eventually those guys who aren't, either get tired of being the minority and change or leave.

9 husker2612, Jan 7, 2020
    Nebraskakid555, bshirt73 and Clemke32 like this.
  10. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Every team has those guys not glued to the program,doesn't matter,dreams fade,injuries take control of mindset etc.
    Having better hungrier guys is the solution to this. They simply pass up the older guys. But, when rebuilding this program, this staff obviously has kept redshirting as a priority, so, instead of having a younger guy playing part time all season year one of their entire time yere, they limited them to 4 games, or none at all,depending on their physical state.
    Example would be, Johnsons still a tad light, play him four games,even though rb numbers were down, or, Wandale could use a tad more weight, but our wr numbers and current production from who was on roster weren't performing, play him play him.
    Now, our rosters filled, we have bodies, we have a ton of rs frosh from 2019 coming in, many who've gotten enough SnC to compete.
    It's now the older guys have to step up or get passed up, no more holding back.

bshirt73 and husker2612 like this.
  11. inWV

inWV Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I count 25 kids who signed LOIs under Riley. That's 29% of the scholarship roster

12. husker2612

Expand Collapse

As stated above there were still 75% of MR guys who were starting. As many have graduated, we should see a drastic shift in MR vs SF players actually playing the game. How many guys are Frost or MR on the roster really doesn't matter at this point, who is actually playing in games is what counts towards getting that "culture flip"

13. inWV

Expand Collapse

Frost has either recruited or signed 71% of the scholarship roster, with the following class distributions: Sr. (3), Jr. (10), So. (10), RS Fr. (22) and Fr. (18). For those wringing their hands about winning mentality and older players "infecting" younger players, from looking at the roster, I would think the latter shouldn't be an issue. Frost has spoken about recruiting players that come from winning programs. It takes a lot of work from the players in order for a program to win consistently in Power 5 conference and few kids coming out of HS are developed enough to be true difference makers as a frosh. They have to do the work and it can be hard to do that work when the players are routinely experiencing negative outcomes.

bshirt73 likes this.
  14. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Lots of mental gymnastics here. I predicted the S&C would continued to be played. If a person read some of this they would swear we didn't even have a S&C program under Riley which I have heard players say was not true. So, just to do things differently or more intense doesn't mean nothing was done before Frost's arrival. Players will continue to improve but it doesn't take three freaking years guys.

I have not heard one negative comment from either Farniok. Please supply some links to the discontent they have expressed.

If the older guys are so bad and the new guys so good then why are they playing and many will likely play next year? Obviously because they are better, end of story. But no, some keep trying to find reasons for the poor performance and back to back losing records under SF.

These coaches need to get this figured out and until they do, we can expect many of the same results. There just needs to be something to blame the results on every year. Either you get it done in the field or you don't, either you participate as a team member or you don't, but that is all on the coaches. ALL

15. huskerssalts

huskerssalts Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

it wasn’t a mandatory thing. And all that info was leaked almost right away when Frost took over with Duvall at S&C. Some players lifted and some didn’t. Anyone could look at our team then and see we had some lazy players that didn’t want to work hard. Wisconsin and Iowa are a couple teams that are proof hard work in the S&C and such pays off.

And I think we all know your stance. You think all players work for all systems. Weird how coaches and experts say different but you’re here claiming it shouldn’t matter....I’ll take the word of the football experts over a guy on a free message board.

bshirt73 likes this.
  16. inWV

Expand Collapse

Oline and Dline have the longest turnaround window of the position groups. In terms of talent shown on the field, Khalil made third team B1G this year. Jaimes was Hon Ment. Jaimes and Carlos were Hon Ment last year. Nick Gates was third team in 2016. Alex Lewis and Maliek Collins were 2nd/3rd team in 2015.
    Let's face it, players ready to play at a high level in trenches for NU is at a low ebb. These are good kids and were for the most part well-regarded coming out of HS. But for whatever reason, none of these kids took their game to another level.
    No one should expect some great turnaround on the lines this year.

17. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

agreed. But our Oline improved a lot last year from game one till that Indiana game on. Bryce Benhart should be ready for his role at OT and a guy like Turner Corcoran might push for playing time at Guard (at least for now). As long as we keep improving off of last year we will see better blocking this year, how much better will be seen in time. Plus side, Austin is good at player development. We should only see our Oline getting better from here on out.

bshirt73 likes this.
  18. bshirt73

bshirt73 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Ouch!! Returning the whole OLine should help a lot I would think. Also, they looked wayyyyyyy better the last couple of games last year. At least I thought so. The DLine I'm not sure about. But the OLine "should" be competent is my guess.

But you're a sharp dude that I fully respect. But this one time, I hope you're wrong! Winking

dinglefritz likes this.
  19. Mr.Scary13

Mr.Scary13 Junior
    Expand Collapse

I'll just ask one question....Did it look to you like Mo was participating in the S & C program at Nebraska?

20. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

no clue. Dude had what, one off season with Duvall and they said Maurice Washington had a super high metabolism so it was harder to add weight on him. I remember hearing that about him. Oh he did come into fall camp his freshman year late, if I remember right he had to wait for the NCAA to clear him to play...or something like that. So he even came in behind everyone else. His pure talent got him onto the field in a hurry though.

21. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

One of the reasons he is gone.

huskerssalts likes this.
  22. cidsports

cidsports Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

164 roster players

Winking

It will be an interesting Year 3 for the Huskers.

Lurk

Tonight, it will be basketball in Lincoln.

Sick

Happy New Year 2020.

Eek

And, of course, if the SEC wins on Monday night, more love 1-2-3 for 2020.

23. inWV

Expand Collapse

Great turnaround, no. More consistent, competent play of the Oline from Game 1, yes. And that is worth at least 2 more wins. Wrt the Dline, who do we expect will have a higher level of play than the Davis twins or Darrion? Stille was effectively a co-starter last year. Damion, Deontre and J. Green should all up their level of play with another year in the system. In particular, Green(5.8/4*) looks like he could be a solution for NU on the Dline. But I'm not sure I see any disruptive forces on the Dline for next year.

24. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

agreed, Dline should be fine. The two guys you didn’t mention was Ty Robinson (former Top 100 DE) and former 4 star Tate Wildeman. We have plenty of able guys ready to rock on the Dline. We shouldn’t see much of drop off from this seasons Dline. Actually the lone issue is this...is Damion Daniels ready time take over where Darrion Daniels left off? If Damion can keep it at least at par with his older brother...then our Dline should be more then fine.

OzzyLvr likes this.
  25. inWV

Expand Collapse

Ty and Tate may end up being the truth in 2022, and will probably play a good bit this season. I would be over the moon if the Dline performed better this Fall as opposed to last. I just don't expect that to happen. There is no Suh of course, but there also isn't a Collins, Valentine, Crick or Gregory.

26. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

As long as those guys can hold their grounds and/or get some push...then we are doing fine. Stille has shown a knack for getting into the backfield and getting some QB pressure. We will most definitely see how well the Dline does...my early guess is they will at least be at par with this seasons Dline.

27. Mr.Scary13

Mr.Scary13 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Yea, okay....:rolleyes:

28. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

He isn’t wrong...

29. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

So. His lack of commitment to the team, training table and lifting are not one of the many reasons he is gone?? :rolleyes:

30. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

it was that and the off the field issue. That’s why dude didn’t say anything more then “Yea, ok”. That’s a cop out answer you post when you refuse to admit you’re wrong and have NOTHING to say to back you’re own claim up.

30 huskerssalts, Jan 7, 2020
    HBK4life likes this.
  31. inWV

Expand Collapse

Jordan Riley is a low 3*, but is a rather large man at 6-5/330. A JUCO guy who is a little older. He could conceivably be in the mix at NT.

32. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

OK, Mr Salty, show me where I said that. I will wait.

What I did say, which you can't seem to understand, is that the basics of football are very much the same and not dependent on the scheme. I guess we should never have expected O linemen from the Husker teams of old that ran the ball to ever have played in a Pro Set and pass block. I suppose they tackle differently in a 4-3, 5-2 than in a 3-4 - I guess I should have known that. And how could I forget that catching a football is much different in a spread than a pro-set and those athletes are forever stuck in those paradigms. I have not read anywhere that stated the S&C was optional - if it is out there, you shouldn't have a hard time providing a link - you can link everything else. I do remember hearing players talk in an interview about lifting and that the talk about no lifting was simply not true.

And for the record, it is 247, not 24/7 and willing not whilling.

33. Mr.Scary13

Mr.Scary13 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Had zero to do with. If Mo has no legal issues on going he doesnt miss a beat at Nebraska. Frost did everything under the sun to keep this kid. Again, looking at him, he clearly didn't participate or get after it in the S&C department yet he still played. Get out with that nonsense.

34. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

35. oldjar07

oldjar07 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

We had 3 returning starters on this year's line and all got worse to start the year. We need to do things to get these guys prepared to start the year because they haven't been the last 2 years. That's why you see "improvement" as the year goes on because these guys weren't prepared to start the year.

36. oldjar07

Expand Collapse

If you're expecting Stille to come in and play better than what we've had at that position, I think you're going to be sorely disappointed.

37. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Before the wiscy game, in the weekly presser, Farniok put his foot down, and he was speaking as a leader, and mindsets had changed at that point.
    Not sure if it was just greater commitment,or all bets are off or both, but line play improved from that game on.

As for older guys playing, this is the year that could change isnt it? The staff committed early on to redshirt as many as possible, and mainly only where there were obvious holes did we see red shirts pulled, like wr and Wandale, and Nelson at OLB.
    Its on, no more red shirts for the '19 class, to read anything earlier into why they didnt goes against building depth and the program, doing it right, and keeping as high a number of guys redshirted as possible.

37 NorthwoodHusker, Jan 7, 2020
  38. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Heres my problem with the D line this last year. Why was our D tackle getting so many sacks?
    Traditionally thats not his job, it's the LBs job. Bad or so so talent and low numbers at LB?
    Maybe turn that tackle loose, instead of eating blocks?

My point is, our D line may well be used differently next year, and it may appear as not much of a dropoff, while we may see some very good LB play.

39. oldjar07

Expand Collapse

Maybe because there's 3 linemen rushing and only 1 linebacker. Our lack of pass rush is not just 1 guy's fault. And Stille isn't going to help much with a pass rush. He was just as bad as everybody else and even worse against the run. I also don't think we go from terrible linebacker play to very good in just 1 year.

40. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

no, I’m just saying he’s had a knack for getting pressure on the QB (which he has). I won’t say he will or won’t do better then what we had. None of us can guess that.