ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
Does anyone know what is happening on this front? HOL has not been reporting any updates, and there has been no mention of any recruits at the Buffalo game.

Does anyone know what is happening on this front? HOL has not been reporting any updates, and there has been no mention of any recruits at the Buffalo game.
There were no official visitors. The had a handful of local unofficals and then Hausmann, Appleget and the 2 local 2023 commitments, Brahmer and Gottula were also on unofficials.

Apparently it is all part of the plan. Although I am pretty sure they wanted to move the SE Louisiana game to early in the season so they could host some recruits. That is why they cancelled the game with SE La and brought in Fordham. Who knows? I know this class will be a shit show.

There were no official visitors. The had a handful of local unofficals and then Hausmann, Appleget and the 2 local 2023 commitments, Brahmer and Gottula were also on unofficials.

Apparently it is all part of the plan. Although I am pretty sure they wanted to move the SE Louisiana game to early in the season so they could host some recruits. That is why they cancelled the game with SE La and brought in Fordham. Who knows? I know this class will be a shit show.
I think the Illinois loss and all of the talk about firing Frost blew up any recruiting plans they had back before the season started. Now they're in survival mode. Frankly I don't think it's a bad idea to save a handful of scholarships for portal guys. We supposedly only have at most 4 spots left according to Sean Callahan on the radio a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's 5 now with the decommit. If we win some games we'll get some guys who want N. If we don't and Frost gets canned, the next coach will want those spots. The transfer portal has dramatically changed how we should view recruiting IMO.

I think the Illinois loss and all of the talk about firing Frost blew up any recruiting plans they had back before the season started. Now they're in survival mode. Frankly I don't think it's a bad idea to save a handful of scholarships for portal guys. We supposedly only have at most 4 spots left according to Sean Callahan on the radio a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's 5 now with the decommit. If we win some games we'll get some guys who want N. If we don't and Frost gets canned, the next coach will want those spots. The transfer portal has dramatically changed how we should view recruiting IMO.
You can't depend on the transfer portal to build a team. That strategy is really no different than building on JUCO players like Kansas St used to do. It works one cycle, then it doesn't for a couple, your classes get all out of sorts and you have one huge class and 2 small classes. You are constantly playing catch up.

Get a transfer portal guy or 2 every year. But again, like JUCO, there is a reason they are leaving. There are 7-10 guys that never play a down for another team than there are the Joe Burrow or Jalen Hurts types.

You can't depend on the transfer portal to build a team. That strategy is really no different than building on JUCO players like Kansas St used to do. It works one cycle, then it doesn't for a couple, your classes get all out of sorts and you have one huge class and 2 small classes. You are constantly playing catch up.

Get a transfer portal guy or 2 every year. But again, like JUCO, there is a reason they are leaving. There are 7-10 guys that never play a down for another team than there are the Joe Burrow or Jalen Hurts types.
I'm just talking filling holes in a recruiting class after a down year or for a new coach coming in. I'm not surprised that they're not landing a bunch of high 4 star guys right now given the situation and I'm not one to want to go out and fill a class early when there is at least a small chance that things might look better in a couple of weeks if we can be respectable against OU and win a couple of B1G games in the next month.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I'm just talking filling holes in a recruiting class after a down year or for a new coach coming in. I'm not surprised that they're not landing a bunch of high 4 star guys right now given the situation and I'm not one to want to go out and fill a class early when there is at least a small chance that things might look better in a couple of weeks if we can be respectable against OU and win a couple of B1G games in the next month.

Maybe, the luster was lost before this cycle started, IMHO. There was little to no interest in June when they could bring in official visitors. Many on here wanted to blame Covid and not being able to evaluate players, yet, every other program in America was bringing in players.

Look, clearly the results on the field have hampered recruiting. I just don't think there are saving of spots for the next guy. Who in there right mind operates that way? Scott Frost's ego is too big to say, well I am not working out here and will probably be gone at the end of the year, so I am going to stop recruiting now, so the next guy will have a few extra spots for when he takes over.

Last edited:
Maybe, the luster was lost before this cycle started, IMHO. There was little to no interest in June when they could bring in official visitors. Many on here wanted to blame Covid and not being able to evaluate players, yet, every other program in America was bringing in players.

Look, clearly the results on the field have hampered recruiting. I just don't think there are saving of spots for the next guy. Who in there right mind operates that way? Scott Frost's ego is to big to say, well I am not working out here and will probably be gone at the end of the year, so I am going to stop recruiting now, so the next guy will have a few extra spots for when he takes over.
Well I think they also look at their roster and with the extra year of eligibility that was granted, are asking themselves "who do we need right now and who can we recruit over". IF all we can get interested is low 3 star guys at positions where maybe we have high 3 star guys or 4 star guys who are freshmen, why reach now? You hope you can win some games and change the narrative so that maybe you can pick up some better recruits. They have their QB for their class which to me was maybe the only glaring need at this point. Those low 3 star guys are still going to probably be there later in this cycle IMO. To be a mouse in the room when they're having their recruiting meetings...... Four losing seasons in a row makes it really tough.

Please, we have seen these supposed positions of depth disappear overnight. We are still thin at LB, DB, and D line. If some hit shot QB really wanted to come (I have no idea why) I am sure we would take him. If we are so picky with this small class, it doesn't show in our current recruits. If we could have snagged the local kids, or even half of them that are leaving or have left, it would be better. I am not as sold that winning a few games is all the sudden going to change minds.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Please, we have seen these supposed positions of depth disappear overnight. We are still thin at LB, DB, and D line. If some hit shot QB really wanted to come (I have no idea why) I am sure we would take him. If we are so picky with this small class, it doesn't show in our current recruits. If we could have snagged the local kids, or even half of them that are leaving or have left, it would be better. I am not as sold that winning a few games is all the sudden going to change minds.
So then you want to fill the last 4-5 spots with low 3 star and 2 star guys then. That makes sense. Why wait to see if you can land a few more talented guys....

This class is not good, the recruiting went in the shit house before the start of this cycle. The loss to Illinois probably sealed it. If we somehow win another 5 or 6 games, we could grab some good prospects. If we have 5 wins or less it's a sinking ship that may be past the point of turning around. Do we somehow get rid of Frost at the end of the year? It's not like we lose any stud recruits. BRING OUT THE $$$ BAGS.

According to 247, QB Reece Mooney (2023) will commit. He is the lone crystal ball right for Nebraska right now. There are no known visits scheduled.

From the recruiting "Big Boards" that HOL stopped running a few weeks ago, most of our remaining top targets are still available, but none are Husker leans. Tyler Martin was the closest, and he has a bunch of crystal balls for Arizona now.

Jay Rockwell (low 3* WR), Avery Powell (low 3* CB), Tyler Martin (high 3* LB), Gavin Meyers (mid 3* LB), and Devin Smith (mid 3* LB) are the 2022 kids with Nebraska listed in their top 5.

According to 247, QB Reece Mooney (2023) will commit. He is the lone crystal ball right for Nebraska right now. There are no known visits scheduled.

From the recruiting "Big Boards" that HOL stopped running a few weeks ago, most of our remaining top targets are still available, but none are Husker leans. Tyler Martin was the closest, and he has a bunch of crystal balls for Arizona now.

Jay Rockwell (low 3* WR), Avery Powell (low 3* CB), Tyler Martin (high 3* LB), Gavin Meyers (mid 3* LB), and Devin Smith (mid 3* LB) are the 2022 kids with Nebraska listed in their top 5.
I just saw an uncommitted 3 star athlete with a visit scheduled

So then you want to fill the last 4-5 spots with low 3 star and 2 star guys then. That makes sense. Why wait to see if you can land a few more talented guys....
Did you actually read what I wrote in response to your post? You seem to think we have plenty of depth and can afford a bad year, I was saying we obviously do not have the depth you seem to think.

It should be painfully obvious that Frost and Co. have not been greeted with open arms by recruits this year. There was a big deal made of the small class and being picky, well, we don't look that picky to me. So right now, we are at least consistent, 3* across the board. So your proposition of filling the final spots with 3* might be an upgrade.

Where have the recruits been at games? Heard any positive news on the recruiting front? Spill it if you do.

2970633.jpg

Did you actually read what I wrote in response to your post? You seem to think we have plenty of depth and can afford a bad year, I was saying we obviously do not have the depth you seem to think.

It should be painfully obvious that Frost and Co. have not been greeted with open arms by recruits this year. There was a big deal made of the small class and being picky, well, we don't look that picky to me. So right now, we are at least consistent, 3* across the board. So your proposition of filling the final spots with 3* might be an upgrade.

Where have the recruits been at games? Heard any positive news on the recruiting front? Spill it if you do.
Yes. I read every word at least twice. You are suggesting that we have to fill this class now and are wringing your hands that it isn't full. Do you really think that they're not going after highly ranked guys right now? Do you really think that they've got a bunch of 3 star kids committed right now because they didn't want 5 star kids? They've done the best that they could do with the slots they have and the W/L record they have to recruit to. We've had 4 losing seasons in a row. I think it would be BEYOND stupid to fill our last spots with 2-3 star kids when MAYBE we pull off an upset of OU or Ohio State and play well later this season. There will ALWAYS be kids left to fill the class and God knows there will be plenty of portal transfers available later.

Please enlighten us with what you would do right now differently in recruiting. You're great at critiquing things but don't offer much in the way in solutions to problems. And yes, I think our recruiting has problems right now but we're not going to fix those problems by filling our remaining 4 spots in September with marginal players. We snagged all of the local kids we could get that they thought were worthy of scholarships. This staff has been WAY more aggressive at trying to recruit area kids than any staff we've had since Tom retired.

Reactions: Anegada1
This class is not good, the recruiting went in the shit house before the start of this cycle. The loss to Illinois probably sealed it. If we somehow win another 5 or 6 games, we could grab some good prospects. If we have 5 wins or less it's a sinking ship that may be past the point of turning around. Do we somehow get rid of Frost at the end of the year? It's not like we lose any stud recruits. BRING OUT THE $$$ BAGS.
I think the bottom line is that we just have to wait and see how this season goes. I do think we have some good recruits that we would likely lose if Frost were fired and heaven knows how much of our current roster we would lose.

Reactions: Anegada1
I think the bottom line is that we just have to wait and see how this season goes. I do think we have some good recruits that we would likely lose if Frost were fired and heaven knows how much of our current roster we would lose.
Depends when TA let’s SF go and how quickly he hires a new Head Coach..

Unfortunately when firing a coach comes players leaving the program depending who the next Coach is..

This is a good point that I'm surprised nobody has called Frost on. Wasn't the whole point of another September home game to bring in recruits in good weather? Instead, no recruits + the negative publicity from trying to cancel OU.

Reactions: artguy68
This is a good point that I'm surprised nobody has called Frost on. Wasn't the whole point of another September home game to bring in recruits in good weather? Instead, no recruits + the negative publicity from trying to cancel OU.
Again, that Illinois loss was a killer. The publicity of trying to cancel OU has nothing to do with losing to Illinois or our recruiting problem right now. The problem is we lost to a rotten team and the message boards are filled with either people calling for him to be fired or people speculating on who the next coach would be. What high level recruit is going to schedule a visit given that situation?

Again, that Illinois loss was a killer. The publicity of trying to cancel OU has nothing to do with losing to Illinois or our recruiting problem right now. The problem is we lost to a rotten team and the message boards are filled with either people calling for him to be fired or people speculating on who the next coach would be. What high level recruit is going to schedule a visit given that situation?
Not disagreeing with you, but are visits typically scheduled on that short of notice? Or do you think guys canceled visits after the Illini game?

Not disagreeing with you, but are visits typically scheduled on that short of notice? Or do you think guys canceled visits after the Illini game?
Some visits are fairly short notice but 11 am starts aren't great for trying to get kids to Lincoln who have Friday night games either. My problem with all of the hand wringing is 2 fold. First we don't have many spots left. Second we don't know who else they're after and what the logistics are to try to get that kid to Lincoln.

The only visit that was scheduled, happened. There were no cancelled visits. The Illinois game had little effect. The downward trajectory started at the end of 2020 season and continued from there. Nebraska had nothing but 3 stars lined up for visits in June, they got commitments from 3 stars. There are 7 home games this season, 2 were totally wasted recruiting wise and there are no officials currently scheduled.

Repeat....this is not a byproduct of a single loss to Illinois. The issue is much deeper than an 8 point loss in the first game of the season.

And our QB recruit lost to a private catholic school from Austin with about 1000 students.
Private Catholic School with 1000 students equates to a Public School with about 2000 students. As they recruit the entire city.
PS I don’t know that to be true in Austin But it’s damn sure true in Seatle

The only visit that was scheduled, happened. There were no cancelled visits. The Illinois game had little effect. The downward trajectory started at the end of 2020 season and continued from there. Nebraska had nothing but 3 stars lined up for visits in June, they got commitments from 3 stars. There are 7 home games this season, 2 were totally wasted recruiting wise and there are no officials currently scheduled.

Repeat....this is not a byproduct of a single loss to Illinois. The issue is much deeper than an 8 point loss in the first game of the season.
I agree that the die was cast over the past 4 years and not just that first game.
I do think there is a chance that IF we had convincingly beat Illinois in that opener that some kids would have been open to setting up visits yet this fall. That said, as I posted earlier, 4 losing seasons in a row make it tough to recruit. Frost needs to win some games this year and if he keeps his job he needs to have a big year next year. The only way this thing turns around recruiting wise this year is if he beats OU and runs off some wins. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT