ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

I think this is premature, there is an identity being developed, it's just not the one some of you like or want.

I also find it sort of funny that the same people complain about where Nebraska is currently ranked in recruiting are also in the "we need to be like Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota" crowd. Have any of those teams finished in the top 30 in recruiting?

As I have said before, if you want to win 7-10 games a year, every once in a while squeeze out 11. You can play the Wisconsin and Iowa version of football. But if winning conference and national titles are what you want, you have to be a balanced on offense, play good to great defense and have difference makers at the skill positions on offense.
Im one that says we need to be more like iowa and stanford instead of being more like USC. I thought i made my point clear before but let me try again and reiterate.
We are going to be able to recruit better...much better than stanford or iowa on a year to year basis, especially with riley at the helm. Now look at what iowa and stanford and heck even minnesota get out of their talent with their system. Now i imagine us with that mentality but with better recruits. Get it?
Because on the flip side we are never going to be able to recruit the same year in and year out as a USC, but i feel its their style we are trying to emulate. Stanford wins conference titles.
This is (obviously) what i meant by saying we need a system like stanford or iowa or wisconsin or a michigan etc....not that we need to rank 30 in recruiting.
As to your last point i totally agreee. Nebraska can have that.

wisky has won 10+ games 6 of the last 8 years and have won the Big Ten 3 times and lost in the conf title game twice. All of this while going through two different coaching changes. It's no accident, they have an identity and they do it well. If we were Wisconsin on D and the OL, but with better QB/WR play than they have which I think we can easily get, we would give ourselves the best chance to get back to elite status.
Yes, yes yes. X1000000

I was really hopeful for this class, but if the predictions are true we are in trouble. None of most recent projections have lewis, Johnson, sarell, or holmes coming here. Worst of all projections are holmes to ohio st. Projections do have us landing calvin and daniels so theres that. Lets hope these projection guys are really wrong.
When projection guys dont know, they can take the safe bet. The safe bet are places like OSU who is in the top four, then if he does pick NU no one would blame the recruiting guys for being wrong, make sense? These guys dont know it all, heck the kids dont even know!
We may not get em all but we may get some of them. Ill take sarrell please.

There is a very clear formula in how you compete for a national championship. Consistently get top 15 classes, or get cam or Mariota. That's it. We can either hope we can be the exception or strive to be the rule. For as much success as Stanford, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan state, etc have had without elite recruiting, none of them have been that close to winning it all. Msu made the playoff and got destroyed. It's really hard to get elite classes at Nebraska. But it can be done. It is what it is, it's not complicated. Get elite talent or lose to the teams that do.

Sounds like LB Andrew Ward is a Nebraska lean. I am telling you right now. If we finish this class off with a bunch of low to mid 3* back up plans I will not be happy AT ALL. This class looks looks to be shaping up no better than anything BO put together.

I have heard so many people tell me "It's progress". I'm aorry there is no such thing as progress in recruiting. Why would a blue chip who visits next year come? Because they have spent 4 years recruiting them instead of 3? Give me a break! You either close or you don't, and if they don't close on these top recruits I am off the the Riley Bandwagon. I don't give a rats *** about kids visiting here if they don't sign them

Sounds like LB Andrew Ward is a Nebraska lean. I am telling you right now. If we finish this class off with a bunch of low to mid 3* back up plans I will not be happy AT ALL.

What the heck are you talking about?!

Ward is not a back-up plan: he was offered a long time ago, was brought in on an official visit for the Oregon game and has been a priority to coach Bray for a long time. Plus, not only did Bray go see him once the season was over, he was the first [or second, I can't recall] recruit that coach Riley had an in-home with.

If you don't like Ward, that's one thing but you don't get to make up your own facts regarding a recruit. He's been a priority for quite awhile and the evidence supports that.

Yes, yes yes. X1000000
Ummmm Wisconsin changed coaches but one of the reasons the last guy left is that Alvarez insisted that they run the same offense basically that he had. Alvarez was a constant and the type of players that they recruited remained virtually unchanged. Chryst coming back was as if he had never left.

Ummmm Wisconsin changed coaches but one of the reasons the last guy left is that Alvarez insisted that they run the same offense basically that he had. Alvarez was a constant and the type of players that they recruited remained virtually unchanged. Chryst coming back was as if he had never left.
So...on wisconsin. They are winners, thats for sure.

What the heck are you talking about?!

Ward is not a back-up plan: he was offered a long time ago, was brought in on an official visit for the Oregon game and has been a priority to coach Bray for a long time. Plus, not only did Bray go see him once the season was over, he was the first [or second, I can't recall] recruit that coach Riley had an in-home with.

If you don't like Ward, that's one thing but you don't get to make up your own facts regarding a recruit. He's been a priority for quite awhile and the evidence supports that.
Unless he has unmistakable athleticism, I'm always concerned about guys like Ward (5.5 - 3*) being a priority. What's the knock on this kid to be rated so low?

If I can say anything positive right now it is this. With all that Calabraska stuff going on early in the year... all the visits... all the friendships... all the twitter banter. We only have 2 kids that have committed to our class from the state of California. You would have to think more kids are going to commit from Cali, it would be absolutely shocking if none of KJJ's connections would come here. It makes no sense... right?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Andrew Ward is announcing his commitment on Christmas Day, and it's between us, Iowa State, and Indiana. If we don't win that battle, I will die a little inside.

Reactions: timnsun
Andrew Ward is announcing his commitment on Christmas Day, and it's between us, Iowa State, and Indiana. If we don't win that battle, I will die a little inside.
I wouldn't... if he commits elsewhere that means we have someone else lined up.

Hudl is your friend
I have watched it... arm tackle after arm tackle.

Positives:

He has a eye to get to the ball
He can break off blocks
He will take on OL 1 on 1

Negatives:

He hesitates in pass coverage = disaster at the college level
He is a arm tackler... almost every runner he tackles gains 1 or 2 more yards after contact
He is not the fastest in open space

The fact that we are slugging it out with Iowa State and Indiana for a recruit already makes me die a little inside.

Edit - And yes, before everyone sprints to their keyboard to post "Um...he has an offer from Penn State," save it; I already know. He looks decent, but not the type of recruit that makes you sit up in your chair and exclaim "We're Back!!"

Last edited:
And spare me the "we'll coach him up" routine. I understand there are always players with low star ratings who turn into monsters on the field. The NFL is chock full of them. However, it's a crap shoot. Give me the 4-star guys and if our staff really can "coach him up", he'll play like a 5-star.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
And spare me the "we'll coach him up" routine. I understand there are always players with low star ratings who turn into monsters on the field. The NFL is chock full of them. However, it's a crap shoot. Give me the 4-star guys and if our staff really can "coach him up", he'll play like a 5-star.
I haven't seen the "coach 'em up" routine much at all recently. Not saying it hasn't happened, maybe I'm numb to it.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Also want to bring up to the "It's a process" people. You aren't going to have the momentum of the Calabraska movement again. There has never been this much buzz around our recruiting as we have had this year! So for us to fall flat on our faces and limp down the home stretch to fill out this class would be extremely unsatisfying and unfulfilled. This is(was) the year to get that elite type class, so finishing anything below the Top 15 would be a punch in the gut.

At least it would be a punch in the gut to me!

Also want to bring up to the "It's a process" people. You aren't going to have the momentum of the Calabraska movement again. There has never been this much buzz around our recruiting as we have had this year! So for us to fall flat on our faces and limp down the home stretch to fill out this class would be extremely unsatisfying and unfulfilled. This is(was) the year to get that elite type class, so finishing anything below the Top 15 would be a punch in the gut.

At least it would be a punch in the gut to me!
Now to drama queen guy.

Get better QB play in years, represent the west in CCG, and avoid blowouts and I'm told by people like you recruiting will improve. Sounds like a process after all...

Now to drama queen guy.

Get better QB play in years, represent the west in CCG, and avoid blowouts and I'm told by people like you recruiting will improve. Sounds like a process after all...
Step one is not hiring a coach with a crappy record. Step two is said coach not going from 9 wins to 5/6 wins. Step three is also not getting blown out (a reason many here wanted Pelini fired) any time Nebraska plays a ranked team. We didn't manage to avoid that in 2015 & 2016.

Nebraska got its door blown off by a bad, bad, bad Pudue team in 2015. 2016? As if that isn't fresh enough in our minds...

Step one is not hiring a coach with a crappy record. Step two is said coach not going from 9 wins to 5/6 wins. Step three is also not getting blown out (a reason many here wanted Pelini fired) any time Nebraska plays a ranked team. We didn't manage to avoid that in 2015 & 2016.

Nebraska got its door blown off by a bad, bad, bad Pudue team in 2015. 2016? As if that isn't fresh enough in our minds...
Your distaste for Riley is duly noted. So why is it then that so many people in the coaching ranks have such deep respect for Riley? Why so many people involved in football in general who have a deep respect for Riley?

Said coach didn't go from 9 wins to 5/6. He went from 5/6 to 9 with a chance for 10 no matter how improbable doing so largely with players he didn't recruit. Jesus I have legit concerns about Riley but just making shit up to gripe about is....

Your distaste for Riley is duly noted. So why is it then that so many people in the coaching ranks have such deep respect for Riley? Why so many people involved in football in general who have a deep respect for Riley?
Based on his previous records at all his gigs, I honestly have no idea. As I have said, he's a very nice person - still waiting for evidence that he can turn a program around.

This thread is about recruiting, and thus far, our recruiting results have been lackluster. Effort is there, but you don't turn a program around through effort alone. We need results (and top recruits).

Based on his previous records at all his gigs, I honestly have no idea. As I have said, he's a very nice person - still waiting for evidence that he can turn a program around.

This thread is about recruiting, and thus far, our recruiting results have been lackluster. Effort is there, but you don't turn a program around through effort alone. We need results (and top recruits).
Thanks for the clarification. I like Riley. I like having an adult as our head coach again. And I like, unlike our previous two coaches, that Riley appreciates and embraces the state of Nebraska and the traditions surrounding our football program. I like that he is well respected in his profession. And therefore I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves that he is not capable of turning our program around.

I do agree with your assessment of our recruiting. And I expressed my concerns, forcefully, in a different thread. For that I was highly criticized by some on here for being a "sky is falling" poster. People like you and and me who are concerned about the current state of our recruiting commitments are being told by some on here that our recruiting will pick up at the end and we need to be patient. Well... ok. I think that is fair and I am willing to wait. What else can we do? lol. But I am still worried and will be until I see several quality recruits in positions of need sign on the dotted line.

The recipe for success here is well-known but nobody wants to do that. They want to do it their way.

Coach Riley will likely succeed in getting us a few nice seasons but the reality of it is, he will only turn over the roster to his style of players, before he retires or is run out of town. If the next coach has a different system, it's going to take another 3-4 years to turn the roster over for that system.

One failed experiment after another, with nothing but more and more time lost.

While I do think a positive attitude is important, this idea that some energy bus book is going to translate into winning championships is naive. Our AD doesn't have the experience, wisdom, nor the leadership ability that the position requires.

They say life is a balance of making things happen, and letting things happen. I know the staff is trying very hard in recruiting, but maybe that is in some ways part of the problem.

I agree with everything you say. We can play power football and win. You can find HS kids in Nebraska to play TE, FB, OL. But as long as we try to win recruiting battles for QBs and WR that every other team wants we will remain a second tier team. The blueprint has been given to us. Wisconsin stole it, Craig Bohl uses it and yet we seem too stubborn to stick to it. Most Navy SEAL BUDS classes start with around 200 and end with about 25-30. The ones that make it often are not the best athletes or most educated. The ones that make it are the toughest mentally and physically that will never quit! I want a "Meat Grinder". I want practices that are "blood baths"!

We have an AD that is was hired to fire the last staff. Fine. But you better know what works here and I'm afraid he's clueless.

Last edited:
Currently, Dec. 24, 2016, Nebraska sits at 40th ranked tied with Memphis on the Rivals recruiting rankings. How much higher can they end up at by Feb 2017? 25-30 is where they might end up at. Not good for all the recruiting hype they had all season with 4 & 5 star players.

Tom didn't go on that run until he changed how he recruited and started bringing in flat out studs. Frazier was an extremely highly rated recruit and a coup for Nebraska. So we're most of the other skill position players and many DL recruits. While many of the OL were under the radar it was offset because of Nebraska's state of the art lifting program that nobody else had.

Don't forget the obvious. TO masteriously got better at recruiting when Barry Switzer resigned. If Barry hadn't, TO's ending is very different. Die-hards know this but it's never talked about.

Reactions: BayAreaBigRed
You can find HS kids in Nebraska to play TE, FB, OL.

What are you taking about.

Nebraska OL like: Rodriguez, Sterup, Henry, Jones, Utter, Long, Hahn, Conrad, Foster, Caputo, Pensick, Reeves, Christensen, Gaylord, Decker?

Nebraska FB like: Janovich, Legate, Zimmerer?

Nebraska TE like: Foster, Sutton, Engelhaupt?

Part of our problem has been relying on lesser talented kids, quite a few mentioned above, due to poor recruiting by the previous staff. Whether that continues with this staff is TBD.

But as long as we try to win recruiting battles for QBs and WR that every other team wants we will remain a second tier team.

See above response.

The blueprint has been given to us. Wisconsin stole it, Craig Bohl uses it and yet we seem too stubborn to stick to it.

Wisconsin is winning on defense, not offense. Craig Bohl? Goodness freaking gracious man.

Reactions: HuskerO
You can find HS kids in Nebraska to play TE, FB, OL
I'm not sure that is or would work out so great for us. Other than Janovich I cannot think of an elite TE, FB or OL from Nebraska in the past 10 years let alone enough talent to make Nebraska a top tier team.

Foster can be elite but that's 1 guy. Steinkueler could have as well if not moved to DL but again, only 1 guy from Nebraska that could've been elite.

Currently, Dec. 24, 2016, Nebraska sits at 40th ranked tied with Memphis on the Rivals recruiting rankings. How much higher can they end up at by Feb 2017? 25-30 is where they might end up at. Not good for all the recruiting hype they had all season with 4 & 5 star players.
These kinds of posts are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me... let them finish then throw the rotten tomatoes at them!!! That way, if they somehow exceed expectations, you have less backtracking to do...

Last edited:
I like Riley fine as a person - he's a very good representative of the program and thus, the state. I thought he was a pretty good coach ten years ago when he was knocking off USC a couple times and winning 8 or 9 games at OSU. I'm just not convinced that he has the current football chops to knock off Urbs and Harbaugh, which has to be the standard here. I thought this when we hired him and I just haven't seen anything in two years to change that opinion. I'll keep hoping I'm wrong.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I like Riley fine as a person - he's a very good representative of the program and thus, the state. I thought he was a pretty good coach ten years ago when he was knocking off USC a couple times and winning 8 or 9 games at OSU. I'm just not convinced that he has the current football chops to knock off Urbs and Harbaugh, which has to be the standard here. I thought this when we hired him and I just haven't seen anything in two years to change that opinion. I'll keep hoping I'm wrong.
Well stated... can't disagree much with any of this.

What I think hurt the recruiting was how we got blown out on national television twice. We did have a pretty nice run leading up to the season, but we had a lot of guys hurt as well.

I'm still hopeful that we can have a decent class this year. It may not be spectacular, but it's going to take a little more time.

There is one thing I can get on board with the pro Riley guys, and that is I will be relieved to see the end of this season, and certain senior players go bye bye. I think a few of them could still be considered cancerous. I'll be glad they won't be coming back.

2017 We have a new slate, a true QB competition with real QB's and then it starts getting real for this staff as well.

Only major concern is, this is Nebraska.. they better be able to recruit a top shelf running back for this class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT