ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

I agree with everything you say. We can play power football and win. You can find HS kids in Nebraska to play TE, FB, OL. But as long as we try to win recruiting battles for QBs and WR that every other team wants we will remain a second tier team. The blueprint has been given to us. Wisconsin stole it, Craig Bohl uses it and yet we seem too stubborn to stick to it. Most Navy SEAL BUDS classes start with around 200 and end with about 25-30. The ones that make it often are not the best athletes or most educated. The ones that make it are the toughest mentally and physically that will never quit! I want a "Meat Grinder". I want practices that are "blood baths"!

We have an AD that is was hired to fire the last staff. Fine. But you better know what works here and I'm afraid he's clueless.
Wisconsin is not, never has been, and never will be the gold standard. They don't win or compete for national championships. We can hope to be like Wisconsin or we can hope to actually be a real contender. I really don't care if they're better than us, if they're not a true title contender then I don't want to be them.

Wisconsin is not, never has been, and never will be the gold standard. They don't win or compete for national championships. We can hope to be like Wisconsin or we can hope to actually be a real contender. I really don't care if they're better than us, if they're not a true title contender then I don't want to be them.

Like it or not...they are being us better than we are being us!

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Will Nebraska ever recruit like Bama, Ohio State, Michigan and get the four and five star players from across the country with Mike Riley's and his crew or do we need a high profile coach to do that? What do you guys think, will his 2017 class finish strong?
Not sure but, Nebraska has the history to field good teams. The new linebacker just signed Drew Ward, he's from Muskegon, Michigan and odds are he will be success due to his natural abilities and coaching he received at Muskegon High School. A noted power in Michigan HS football.

I agree with everything you say. We can play power football and win. You can find HS kids in Nebraska to play TE, FB, OL. But as long as we try to win recruiting battles for QBs and WR that every other team wants we will remain a second tier team. The blueprint has been given to us. Wisconsin stole it, Craig Bohl uses it and yet we seem too stubborn to stick to it. Most Navy SEAL BUDS classes start with around 200 and end with about 25-30. The ones that make it often are not the best athletes or most educated. The ones that make it are the toughest mentally and physically that will never quit! I want a "Meat Grinder". I want practices that are "blood baths"!

We have an AD that is was hired to fire the last staff. Fine. But you better know what works here and I'm afraid he's clueless.
Agree Wiscy another former Husker AD have a great formula. However, these are college kids and Boyd Apply is back, only so much meat-grinder is appropriate. The T O 90's formula is appropriate - he went for a lot of speed and built on about 2/3 of the travel squad being from N or within 50 miles of its borders; then recruited nationally for speed and others. .... One thing to realize is Oklahoma dominated with the wishbone at one point. t couldn't be converted in the pros. Also holding rules are a joke compared to days not so long ago. Coaches are much more sophisticated. HCMR says it starts in the lines; and has said that from the start - I trust him. No matter what meat grinder; if the box is stuffed and you can't throw over, linemen can't clear out the extra. Its complicated; as right as you are. GBR

Like it or not...they are being us better than we are being us!
We came back and took them into overtime after being behind. Courageous, on their field. This transition has been tough and really been an anchor on the coaches - I am proud of the men on this team for getting to undefeated and what nearly happened at Wiscy !!! We are so much closer than many think.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I like Riley fine as a person - he's a very good representative of the program and thus, the state. I thought he was a pretty good coach ten years ago when he was knocking off USC a couple times and winning 8 or 9 games at OSU. I'm just not convinced that he has the current football chops to knock off Urbs and Harbaugh, which has to be the standard here. I thought this when we hired him and I just haven't seen anything in two years to change that opinion. I'll keep hoping I'm wrong.
Do you know his coaching record against Harbaugh ?

What I think hurt the recruiting was how we got blown out on national television twice. We did have a pretty nice run leading up to the season, but we had a lot of guys hurt as well.

I'm still hopeful that we can have a decent class this year. It may not be spectacular, but it's going to take a little more time.

There is one thing I can get on board with the pro Riley guys, and that is I will be relieved to see the end of this season, and certain senior players go bye bye. I think a few of them could still be considered cancerous. I'll be glad they won't be coming back.

2017 We have a new slate, a true QB competition with real QB's and then it starts getting real for this staff as well.

Only major concern is, this is Nebraska.. they better be able to recruit a top shelf running back for this class.
Truths. I am not as worried about rb; we have an N that should qualify; and has the potential to be a star. We have real talent on the team; probably 3 deep, and in my opinion Newby and others really improved this year = coaching.
Oz said the least able back this year was better than they all were the year before. I know things clustered with injuries and whatever; was very proud of how Newby put it on his back and made a few victory difference. GBR

do i care if he beat some bad stanford teams? no.
You said he couldn't beat the guy, so I would think you care. Anyway, I think he's a hell of a coach and will get us back on track (already is).

Not sure but, Nebraska has the history to field good teams. The new linebacker just signed Drew Ward, he's from Muskegon, Michigan and odds are he will be success due to his natural abilities and coaching he received at Muskegon High School. A noted power in Michigan HS football.
Well, we did beat out Indiana and Iowa State for him, so there's that.

I think Riley and crew will elevate Nebraska's talent level gradually and the team will compete for conference championships before he's done.

Long term, I think it's in our best interest to have Scott Frost do great things at UCF so that he makes a name for himself before he comes back home.

And brings with him yet another Offense that it will take several years to implement. I wonder how long before the boo birds would be all over him lol!

Oregon style offense could be successful without a "running" QB. The offense is predicated on stressing your defense at its weakest point.

In theory every offense is predicated on that....

Subtle difference. A zone read forces the DE to make a decision but the DE may not be your weakest point. The basic premis is the same week to week. Much like a triple option, who gets the ball may be contingent upon how the defense is set up by formation or how the defense reacts, but for the most part, the fullback dives and the QB and I back run the option wide

Kelly's offense, at Oregon, would attack the weak point of the defense. They could run zone read, or the could run power or they could best you throwing quick passes. Because they could run all formations with the same personnel, they could attack the formation not the read. Then, because they were in hurry up, the could keep the advantage because the defense couldn't sub. Down and distance was secondary to attacking the formation. Once they caught you in a bad formation, they ran the same, or very similar plays just switching sides or route combos.

simply put, they attacked formation and scheme, they didn't always depend on the read, then react to that.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I've always been dumbfounded at how easy it seems some teams score in the final two minutes of a game. Look at Pittsburgh this weekend. When Ben got the ball back with 1:30 to play most everyone knew he would score. I think this concept was the basis of Kelly's offense. And it was very successful. However what it doesn't take into account is the beating your defense takes when you don't score on every other possession.

I like concepts of the Oregon offense but I wouldn't want the hyper speed offense for my team.

I've always been dumbfounded at how easy it seems some teams score in the final two minutes of a game. Look at Pittsburgh this weekend. When Ben got the ball back with 1:30 to play most everyone knew he would score. I think this concept was the basis of Kelly's offense. And it was very successful. However what it doesn't take into account is the beating your defense takes when you don't score on every other possession.

I like concepts of the Oregon offense but I wouldn't want the hyper speed offense for my team.

You don't have to go hyper speed every play. You just have to have the threat of hyper speed and the ability to run all of your formations regardless of who is on the field. The hurry up, while designed to tire out a defense, is mostly designed to keep a team from substituting to match up with down and distance or formation because of personnel. You can run the play clock to 10 and keep the defense vulnerable as long as you are lined up and ready to go as if you are going to run a play immediately.

Anyone know off the top of their heads the decision dates are for the guys we are in on? Are we going to have to wait until februrary at this point simce christmas is past...or perhaps a new years day decision?

Anyone know off the top of their heads the decision dates are for the guys we are in on? Are we going to have to wait until februrary at this point simce christmas is past...or perhaps a new years day decision?
It's been stated that several are army all America bowl announcements... can't say who, but we'll know before February on many of our targets I think...

It's been stated that several are army all America bowl announcements... can't say who, but we'll know before February on many of our targets I think...
Lewis, Sarrell, Filaga, Calvin all announce at the AA game off the top of my head. Anyone else?

Here's some dates on the Herald's big board.
I'm going to bring out the non pessimistic big red22

Looking at that board, and seeing 5 CB's that are highly rated makes me feel like there may be knowledge that we already know who is coming to NU. Jaylon Johnson and Thomas Graham going elsewhere really got me flustered.

I am making a prediction, and it is based off my gut feeling. I honestly think that Greg Johnson, Joseph Lewis and Darnay Holmes are going to be Nebraska football players. The 247 predictions are based on Greg Johnson's 2018 brother committing to USC, I just feel that has little relevance to where these two are going (Joseph Lewis and Greg Johnson). Darnay Holmes may be a pipe dream, but it could be possible that he has been committed to Nebraska since June, and the official visit and in-homes were not needed.

I know that may be crazy, but I want to look at our recruiting in a positive light, and look at the remaining prospects as real possibilities.

I know it sounds absolutely crazy to predict this, but it somewhat makes sense. Why are these other CB's are going elsewhere? That Big Board looks real good. The only Calabraska connections that have committed somewhere else is Thomas Graham, Jaylon Redd and Jaylon Johnson... They are all CB's

I am just saying there is a lot of the Calabraska connection left on that board, and a lot of them will be in the the Army All American game, and deciding there.

Of those 29 top targets, who do people see us getting? Dont we have nine more spots to fill?
Go ahead, call me impatient and what not....but im a little concerned. Or its gonna be one memorable finish for the ages.

Maybe Gavin Holmes? But he has gotten a lot of nice offers in the last two weeks, so maybe not even 1 off that board.
But, we'll find out soon enough if this staff deserves any coffee...

I'm going to bring out the non pessimistic big red22

Looking at that board, and seeing 5 CB's that are highly rated makes me feel like there may be knowledge that we already know who is coming to NU. Jaylon Johnson and Thomas Graham going elsewhere really got me flustered.

I am making a prediction, and it is based off my gut feeling. I honestly think that Greg Johnson, Joseph Lewis and Darnay Holmes are going to be Nebraska football players. The 247 predictions are based on Greg Johnson's 2018 brother committing to USC, I just feel that has little relevance to where these two are going (Joseph Lewis and Greg Johnson). Darnay Holmes may be a pipe dream, but it could be possible that he has been committed to Nebraska since June, and the official visit and in-homes were not needed.

I know that may be crazy, but I want to look at our recruiting in a positive light, and look at the remaining prospects as real possibilities.

I know it sounds absolutely crazy to predict this, but it somewhat makes sense. Why are these other CB's are going elsewhere? That Big Board looks real good. The only Calabraska connections that have committed somewhere else is Thomas Graham, Jaylon Redd and Jaylon Johnson... They are all CB's

I am just saying there is a lot of the Calabraska connection left on that board, and a lot of them will be in the the Army All American game, and deciding there.
Look who is not on Greg Johnson's crystal ball anymore

you guessed it Steve Wiltfong

http://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Johnson-75934

That'd be funny if people actually stated this stuff.

Classic.

GBRhuskersSophomore
Losing Guy Thomas, if that's what ends up happening, doesn't impact us in the 2017 or 2018 season. Losing him is impacted only if we don't grab someone else in this class or next, that can play in 2019, or 2018 if needed which I don't see Thomas doing.

Parrella has done a very good job in his first class, with or without Thomas, and I expect JP to keep up yhe success.

56 GBRhuskers, Dec 10, 2016

Maybe Gavin Holmes? But he has gotten a lot of nice offers in the last two weeks, so maybe not even 1 off that board.
But, we'll find out soon enough if this staff deserves any coffee...
Just did some reading. I bet we get darnay holmes, joseph lewis for sure.
Filliaga maybe. Sarrel maybe but boy is he needed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT