ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting weekend…

Exactly. You need both to really make a splash. You can recruit low level guys and develop and make bowls. This is what Iowa formula is. But in able to make a splash you need to recruit well and develop. Bo kind of could do both, but he hated recruiting especially top rated kids. Dr Tom was the last to really do both well. And yes he developed excellently but he also recruited top classes
Yes, this totally. While I understand the overall strategy of lowered rated player development, can anyone point to anyone being successful long term for championships?

Rhule has a number that he wants for scholarship QBs on his roster. He no doubt has watched practice video of his QBs on the roster and has evaluated them. We have 2 guys who will be redshirt freshman and a walk on who will also be a redshirt freshman who jumped both of those scholarship QBs on the depth chart. He might feel that he can be very selective in what QBs he goes after. The money CT got in NIL is going to attract transfers
Maybe but if you don’t like Watson because of his size, then Synek shouldn’t be on the radar really either. Unless you talking Pauley but I really haven’t herd much about him

Also Whose the 2nd RFR? Torres i know. But Purdy & Haarberg will be sophomores right? But I see the numbers game. If Sims comes in, that would be 6 scholarship which is a lot but sadly the fix shouldn’t be not taking a freshman. The fix is really moving Logan and probably Chubba out. Like those kids but it’s what it is

Exactly. You need both to really make a splash. You can recruit low level guys and develop and make bowls. This is what Iowa formula is. But in able to make a splash you need to recruit well and develop. Bo kind of could do both, but he hated recruiting especially top rated kids. Dr Tom was the last to really do both well. And yes he developed excellently but he also recruited top classes
Yes. I like this except, correct me if I'm wrong, but I never got the feeling a player came because of Bo's recruiting! Tom could get in a home later in his career and really recruit!

Yes, this totally. While I understand the overall strategy of lowered rated player development, can anyone point to anyone being successful long term for championships?
If Rhule only takes diamond in the rough types then I will have some concern but I don't think it will play out that way. They are trying to build some relationships right now but being that Rhule was in the NFL, and not recruiting, they are starting cold with some kids. I think we'll be pleased as time goes on.

He does have a son that is a good player. Still not sure who he has ever developed as a football coach. Maybe he did in that short stint as a HS OC or in his two years at a HBCU.
He can afford to simply be a rahrat/decision maker while letting his experienced coaching staff develop players.

You'll see a lot of these type recruits under Rhule. His trademark is identifying overlooked high school players with speed and then developing them into big time college players when they get on campus.
You can’t make this up. I joked that our mid 3* is too high and we’re taking more diamonds in the rough like the last 2 decades. I hope you’re joking. Lord help us.

I know there will be a lot of "trust the process" posters but I am with you on this.

With the ease of transfer the idea of "developing" players for 3-4 years seems like an odd plan.
Well, developing some players is going to be key for Nebraska which isn't located in a rich recruiting area like an Ohio State or a USC. BUT also remember that the transfer portal works both ways. Nebraska has NIL money to compete in the portal and "busts" can be encouraged to enter the portal to free up spots.

Nebraska has to do all 3 to be successful: develop players, utilize the portal and take advantage of NIL.

seeing we are 4-8 and frost and mickey completly derailed.
rhule seems to be doing very good, thus far...I mean he probably ain't got his stuff unpacked yet. but I do want that ww qb and the gt qb...last year made it pretty evident you can't be too deep there

Last edited:
Colorado at 53 and Wisconsin at 79. New staffs. All 3 might make a late run…..or not. I understand the hope for instant gratification, but also understand that bitching nonstop and going out of your way to bitch is just obnoxious.
What else is there to talk about?

I would like to see it improve here towards the end. It's possible.

I don't think I am bitching about it nonstop or going out of my way. Haven't posted a whole lot lately.

I don't like comparing us to CU or Wisc for that matter..

I don't think I am bitching about it nonstop or going out of my way. Haven't posted a whole lot lately.

Fair enough on the ‘what else is there to talk about part’. We are definitely in the moment and hoping for the best, but is it safe to assume that you are reading info and reacting from a place that didn’t like the Rhule hire? Maybe a bit jaded from the outset? I would’ve likely felt the same if we went LL.

Team recruiting ranking now at 67..

don't like going downhill with this new "Splash" hire.
You do realize that William Watson flipped to Virginia Tech over the weekend is the reason why Nebraska is rated lower at this time..

eye-roll-annoyed.gif

I think we all expected him to flip for months. His link was Whipple who very likely to last less than a year. The fans don't even seem to concerned about it.
Us real fans are all concerned out after going more than a year with Watson committed over Flores

At this point who cares. Absolute joke. Thanks for the parting gift, dickwad redhead

Watson would’ve never played a down here. Everyone & their mother knew this

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
The thing about Osborne is that over time the final national rankings for his teams always exceeded the average ranking of his recruiting classes by a bigger margin than any other schools. That's development in action. In Frost's case, the exact opposite was true (and on a massive scale) which was why he failed so spectacularly.

Maybe but if you don’t like Watson because of his size, then Synek shouldn’t be on the radar really either. Unless you talking Pauley but I really haven’t herd much about him

Also Whose the 2nd RFR? Torres i know. But Purdy & Haarberg will be sophomores right? But I see the numbers game. If Sims comes in, that would be 6 scholarship which is a lot but sadly the fix shouldn’t be not taking a freshman. The fix is really moving Logan and probably Chubba out. Like those kids but it’s what it is
Haarberg gets that COVID year doesn’t he? If he does he’s a redshirt freshman next year. If not then he’s a RS soph. I can’t keep track. Regardless I might rather have a transfer with a little D1 experience than another true freshman who played at a small high school.

I don’t think Watson has the kind of athleticism or size that Rhule wants at QB. That wasn’t a big criteria for Whipple. It’s going to be fun to watch what Rhule does with his QBs.

We could take 30 3 stars and jump in to the top 20. But that would be a really stupid thing to do. Part of the issue is the class size we can take and Rhule’s been on the job for only 2 weeks. At this time the goal HAS to be fill immediate needs. Watson wasn’t a guy I was worried about losing.

While still important, the HS kids we take for this year are semi-irrelevant.
This year’s class will be judged entirely by transfer portal and Juco additions.

The good news is that Rhule coming in late doesn’t matter much as all coaches are getting their first glimpse (for the most part) of the crop of portal kids. So it’s a more level playing field for Rhule.

Anxious to see the Spring roster, then hopefully add a couple more late studs before fall camp.

What else is there to talk about? Well, there are good things that you could talk about… Contrary to your prognostication of Rhule’s Impending failure, there are many who have disagreed and are excited about what is to come. This first few weeks for the recruiting class is not going to be our best recruiting class. I’m surprised you don’t know that. But you can choose to focus on that, that is your right.

We could take 30 3 stars and jump in to the top 20. But that would be a really stupid thing to do. Part of the issue is the class size we can take and Rhule’s been on the job for only 2 weeks. At this time the goal HAS to be fill immediate needs. Watson wasn’t a guy I was worried about losing.
The problem (among many problems) is NU is returning (subject to players leaving) a ton of players. The bigger problem is the quality of those returnees.

Except for Hixson, Williams, and Banks the entire OL, including Nouili back from suspension returns. But what do we really have among all those holdovers? A subpar OL in the BIG. NU needs to sign either 2-3 JUCO kids or pick up a couple of good OL from the portal. Young OLmen development is great, but it does no good in 2023.

Other than Mathis, Tanner, and Feist, the DL returns intact. Again, what do we have? NU needs to pick up 1-2 players via the same route.

Everywhere you look, it's the same thing: A lot of returning players who haven't proved they can win in the BIG.

Picking up Sims at QB or Scott as an OLman can help add some experience at 2 different positions. Sometimes a handful of added players can fill almost all the gaps and elevate the team to begin to move forward.

As guys on here have said, relying on a QB room of currently unhealthy CT, Smothers, and Purdy is a losing proposition. Add the unknown ability of HH and the kid from Hastings and this is a disaster waiting to happen.

NU will find a way to bring in 1-2 QBs one way or another. It may not be who we want, but it will be someone we need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT