ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting weekend…

Yes, this totally. While I understand the overall strategy of lowered rated player development, can anyone point to anyone being successful long term for championships?
Tru, you realize in the last thirty (30) years there have only been 15 different schools that have won championships if you're considering winning the national title.

That would leave the other 120 schools out of the equation. 89% have been spinning their wheels for nothing.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I never remember a time in Nebraska football where we had too many good qb's.
where we should be turning them away, as in "no thank you we have enough good qb's"

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
where we should be turning them away, as in "no thank you we have enough good qb's"
Not since Crouch /Newcombe.

Our strategy since at least Pelini has been:

"Hey, we got a starter. Not going to worry bout getting or developing anyone else till they're gone. "

I think we all need to get used to the idea that our recruiting ranking are going to be all over the map year to year. That's what happens when you chase speed instead of stars. We chased stars under Reily and Frost with poor to mixed results. I'm going to give this staff the benefit of a doubt for now.

I guess the question is, do we actually have too many good QB's on this roster? And throw in, do they fit whatever in the heck they are going to be running? Then throw in the needs are several other positions and managing a roster of 85 scholarships isn't as easy as just offering ships and then having people transfer out the next year.

Reactions: redwine65
beef GIF

I guess the question is, do we actually have too many good QB's on this roster? And throw in, do they fit whatever in the heck they are going to be running? Then throw in the needs are several other positions and managing a roster of 85 scholarships isn't as easy as just offering ships and then having people transfer out the next year.
We have too many QBs on this roster that are not ready after 2-3-4 years.

NU needs 2 good, experienced QBs, and 3 perhaps younger QBs that are being developed to take over in the near future.

There seems to be a wide variance in their skill levels. CT mostly passes and is a capable runner, yet that aspect is not called for in the play calling. Smothers is primarily a runner with minimal passing skills. Purdy is an inadequate passer unless it is less than 10 yards. The Hastings kid has a good overall game, yet he likely lacks the talent to lead the team in a difficult game. Haarberg and Torres have a very good arms but lack any game experience.

With the top 3 guys injured or facing surgery, its a situation that will have to be corrected.

We have too many QBs on this roster that are not ready after 2-3-4 years.

NU needs 2 good, experienced QBs, and 3 perhaps younger QBs that are being developed to take over in the near future.

There seems to be a wide variance in their skill levels. CT mostly passes and is a capable runner, yet that aspect is not called for in the play calling. Smothers is primarily a runner with minimal passing skills. Purdy is an inadequate passer unless it is less than 10 yards. The Hastings kid has a good overall game, yet he likely lacks the talent to lead the team in a difficult game. Haarberg and Torres have a very good arms but lack any game experience.

With the top 3 guys injured or facing surgery, its a situation that will have to be corrected.
Rumor has it that Purdy is having off season surgery. We might want to pump the brakes on counting him out just yet Supposedly he was just as banged up as CT most of the year.

Rumor has it that Purdy is having off season surgery. We might want to pump the brakes on counting him out just yet Supposedly he was just as banged up as CT most of the year.
How do you get banged up in practice wearing green jerseys and no tackling? LOL

Multiple really good QBs rarely can co-exist on a team. Their egos won't allow it. In today's environment it's more so with the ease of the transfer portal. At other positions you can usually get some decent rotation but barring injury that's just not the case at QB.

Multiple really good QBs rarely can co-exist on a team. Their egos won't allow it. In today's environment it's more so with the ease of the transfer portal. At other positions you can usually get some decent rotation but barring injury that's just not the case at QB.
thats why you get em while you can, then work out the drama, by who's the best on the grid iron...
thats the judge, the gridiron, the opposing team is non biased on judgeing a qb...they do the work for you.

Last edited:
me and mr. rhule need to have a chat about bob devaney's 2 bad things about being pass happy.

1. incompletion
2. interception

and dr.tom's expansion of bad things from pass happy.

3. you not controlling the clock
4. your not wearing out their d
5. your d is getting worn out

and I think me and coach rhule can agree to add another:

6. shoulder sugery..(see thompson and smothers)

to me..if someone is getting shoulder sugery it should be your oline or rb's...
your qb is the last one who should be getting that

He is having surgery on the ankle he injured at Michigan.
That can definitely influence your ability to throw. I’ve heard from multiple sources that he had an upper body injury virtually all fall as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
The portal can sometimes be a quick fix but most of the people in it aren’t very good. And we’re not the only team with money fishing. Especially when you are talking about decent qbs or better.

It continues to amaze me that people think a new coach is going to come into town, runza is going to offer millions in NiL money and five stars will rain from the skies. We’re only going to be in in a selection of guys who would warrant big money and only a portion of them will actually sign with us. And they still may not be an impact player for us as we’ve seen.

This is not a video game roster.

I know there will be a lot of "trust the process" posters but I am with you on this.

With the ease of transfer the idea of "developing" players for 3-4 years seems like an odd plan.
I don’t think rhule or trev view this as a immediate turnaround kind of situation. We’ve seen post frost firings that the bar for success for frost was not set impossibly high to show growth.

Rhule was given a long ass contract, I suspect that no one in administration is expecting year one and two to be killer seasons but there should be improvement.

me and mr. rhule need to have a chat about bob devaney's 2 bad things about being pass happy.

1. incompletion
2. interception

and dr.tom's expansion of bad things from pass happy.

3. you not controlling the clock
4. your not wearing out their d
5. your d is getting worn out

and I think me and coach rhule can agree to add another:

6. shoulder sugery..(see thompson and smothers)

to me..if someone is getting shoulder sugery it should be your oline or rb's...
your qb is the last one who should be getting that
I have long thought about the axiom of throwing the ball vs running. The inverse for running could be losing yards or fumbling which are equally as bad.

As for points 3 -5 one could also argue that many passers are completing at a 60% rate. So 3. Could be you are moving the ball forward 6 out of 10 times. 4. The D gets tired from chasing all day and being picked, 5. The D benefits from the O scoring which puts pressure on the opposing O to keep up.

At any given time, all.can be true.

The portal can sometimes be a quick fix but most of the people in it aren’t very good. And we’re not the only team with money fishing. Especially when you are talking about decent qbs or better.

It continues to amaze me that people think a new coach is going to come into town, runza is going to offer millions in NiL money and five stars will rain from the skies. We’re only going to be in in a selection of guys who would warrant big money and only a portion of them will actually sign with us. And they still may not be an impact player for us as we’ve seen.

What is your recommendation for moving forward?

I wonder if eventually teams will keep some money set aside for the transfer portal to pick up some deals, in the final days...there seems to be alot of qb's in the transfer portal

It has to be a balance for sure. You have to utilize all the tools available to you. While you obviously can't depend solely on the portal, Nebraska does have an advantage in that area with NIL and we need to use it as well to fill holes. The majority of portal entries are not great BUT with the volume of entries there always are some jewels in the portal.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It has to be a balance for sure. You have to utilize all the tools available to you. While you obviously can't depend solely on the portal, Nebraska does have an advantage in that area with NIL and we need to use it as well to fill holes. The majority of portal entries are not great BUT with the volume of entries there always are some jewels in the portal.
We don’t have an advantage with NIL over other teams vying for the top players. They’ve got it figured out now and many of those teams have boosters with deeper pockets.

I hear people say that Nebraska has this NIL advantage, where is it, what is it, how do you know? I would submit you can't know every teams NIL money as it is fluid. Is it open sourced for public consumption somewhere? If not, then it is all speculation.

I hear people say that Nebraska has this NIL advantage, where is it, what is it, how do you know? I would submit you can't know every teams NIL money as it is fluid. Is it open sourced for public consumption somewhere? If not, then it is all speculation.
Ewers got 1M. CT supposedly got 500k. Initially we might have had a head start but that’s gone. We don’t have the depth of booster money that huge schools like Michigan and OSU have. That said for any single potential difference maker I suspect we’ll try to compete. With the direction this is going I wonder if we get to the point where a QB gets as much as his head coach?🥴

Ewers got 1M. CT supposedly got 500k. Initially we might have had a head start but that’s gone. We don’t have the depth of booster money that huge schools like Michigan and OSU have. That said for any single potential difference maker I suspect we’ll try to compete. With the direction this is going I wonder if we get to the point where a QB gets as much as his head coach?🥴
We may not have even had that much of a head start. Texas was guaranteeing starting lineman 50k each before we really seemed to get going offering individual players to fill holes

Reactions: dinglefritz
We may not have even had that much of a head start. Texas was guaranteeing starting lineman 50k each before we really seemed to get going offering individual players to fill holes
And BYU had a booster covering costs for every walk on.

That’s pretty much my point. There are some jewels. Which are choosing between probably 20 top teams with some cash. Sure we’ll get a number of dudes over time, but fan expectations are such that we think we’re just going to remake the roster overnight and that’s not likely to happen. Most of the guys available aren’t worth paying for.

We don’t have an advantage with NIL over other teams vying for the top players. They’ve got it figured out now and many of those teams have boosters with deeper pockets.
Of course we do vs. many other teams according to the experts who track this stuff unless you don't believe them.

Being the only big name football team in the state (ie., no NFL, no other university competition) with a passionate fanbase has its advantages.

Of course we do vs. many other teams according to the experts who track this stuff unless you don't believe them.

Being the only big name football team in the state (ie., no NFL, no other university competition) with a passionate fanbase has its advantages.
The problem is that that advantage isn’t against the teams we NEED to be recruiting against. An advantage over KSU and ISU isn’t going to get us elite players that we need to beat OSU or Michigan.

I have long thought about the axiom of throwing the ball vs running. The inverse for running could be losing yards or fumbling which are equally as bad.

As for points 3 -5 one could also argue that many passers are completing at a 60% rate. So 3. Could be you are moving the ball forward 6 out of 10 times. 4. The D gets tired from chasing all day and being picked, 5. The D benefits from the O scoring which puts pressure on the opposing O to keep up.

At any given time, all.can be true.
This may be a TLDR.

A couple of things about the discussion between yourself and redwine. The spoken "throw a pass and 2 of 3 things that are bad can happen" was first coined by Darrell Royal in 1962.

Passing or running the ball in college has to be weighed between how many offensive holding calls versus how many defensive holding calls/pass interference are called. It's a given "some" teams are so well coached in pass protection that they can initiate 40 passes.... and not be called for holding even once.

There is no doubt in my mind, if Tom Osborne were coaching in modern days, he would not likely be as run dominate as he was in the mid/late 90s, simply because the rules for passing have become so much more liberal. Yet, it is possible that with his huge success and the evolution of both Osborne and his coaching methodology, his NU team may be comprised of primarily 4* players in the top two units with a sprinkling of three or four 5* difference makers on both sides of the ball. Total conjecture on my part.

I researched the college football season in the years 2004/2010/2022 and came up with the following: (Statistics only went back as far as 2004).

In 2022, of the 131 P5 teams, 118 or (90.1%) of all teams passed for more yards than they did rushing yards. That left 13 teams (9.1%) that rushed for more yards than passing yards.

Of those teams, the top 6 had more passing than rushing yards, then Michigan was #7 with more rush than pass yards, then 13 more teams with more pass than rush, and then Ole Miss with more rush than pass, and then 16 more teams with more pass than rush yards. Then UAB was in the mix with more rush than pass yards.

So, 47 of 50 teams in total offense passed for more yards than they rushed. (94%).

In scoring offense, among the top 26 teams, 24 were more pass than rush. In total offense, of the top 50 scoring teams in the country, 48 were more pass than rush. (96%).

The top 6 rushing teams were Mich, Ole Miss, UAB, and the 3 service academies. Out of the entire 131 teams, there were only 24 teams that even averaged 200 yards a game rushing. And the only team that averaged 40ppg was Mich.

This year CFP, OSU, MICH, TCU, and GA are all among the top 11 in total offense. 3 of the 4 rely on the pass.

Last year, despite Michigan having arguably the best offensive line in college football, Georgia held Michigan to only 114 yards rushing for the ENTIRE game. This was due to Georgia leading 27-3 at halftime of that eventual blowout. Michigan was forced to throw the ball 36 times while only rushing 27 times. Meanwhile, Georgia ran for 190 yards and threw for 331 yards.

With a modern-day Osborne, it IS possible he could have developed the type of team to win it all despite being a more rush-than-pass team. Early on, as we all know, NU could not function against the Miami (Fla) defensive team speed. Yet, by 1994 NU had bridged that gap and still wore them down. Then '95 blew out a really good Florida defense.

In those years, both Miami and Florida had tremendous defenses, yet Tom's teams were just so powerful they were able to run effectively enough to bring home the trophies. It's unlikely, and probably impossible to ever see an offensive line as strong, and efficient as those final years of Tom's career.

I don't know if this proves or disproves anything. But, it's interesting to research, at least for me it is.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The problem is that that advantage isn’t against the teams we NEED to be recruiting against. An advantage over KSU and ISU isn’t going to get us elite players that we need to beat OSU or Michigan.
Well we're NEVER going to have equal footing in recruiting vs. Ohio State or USC. Osborne didn't have it either in his day. That's why you have to find your own unique competitive edge to winning. It's not ONLY recruiting, it's also in player development, coaching, your schemes, etc. That's the secret Osborne knew. You have to differentiate yourself to suit your strengths.

As far as NIL goes, I’ve read we are still a top 10 program in terms of NIL ability. Not sure how it is measured or anything, but that’s what I read. We may not be able to compete with the top dogs, but we’ll do ok with what we have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT