ADVERTISEMENT

Prove it, 1890 Initiative!

Will you require that 1890 Initiative sign a QB at market rate to earn your donation?

• Nah. Sims is gonna be sweet next year. Support Amigos

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Nope. Kong sold me on HH.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Nay. I like the Purdy/Rhule Development Initiative.

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Yep. They gotta sign a solid, proven QB.

Votes: 62 47.0%
  • I ain't giving money to no groups led by Matt D. for any reason.

Votes: 51 38.6%

• Total voters
I suppose in many ways, this is kind of like the NFL. You must have a good quarterback to win games. Therefore, the quarterback is the highest paid person on the team. That’s just economics and the law of supply and demand.
Absolutely true. People better hope we don’t get double whammied where we can’t buy a portal QB AND we lose Purdy to grad transfer to another team. Make no mistake, what he put on film against Iowa is enough to get some interest. He made one mistake and one bad throw against a very good Iowa defense.

If we were to lose him and miss out in the portal, we’re really screwed. The idea of flushing our whole QB room is lunacy.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u and Danimal4NU
Absolutely true. People better hope we don’t get double whammied where we can’t buy a portal QB AND we lose Purdy to grad transfer to another team. Make no mistake, what he put on film against Iowa is enough to get some interest. He made one mistake and one bad throw against a very good Iowa defense.

If we were to lose him and miss out in the portal, we’re really screwed. The idea of flushing our whole QB room is lunacy.
This is radical, but if I am Rhule, I reach out to Mr. Purdy, Brock and the San Francisco front office, asking for quarterback coach referrals, to show that we are serious about Chubba developing over the next two years. The clock is ticking on Chubba, so he and his family have a decision to make. Will Nebraska be serious or will this be a waste of time?

This is radical, but if I am Rhule, I reach out to Mr. Purdy, Brock and the San Francisco front office, asking for quarterback coach referrals, to show that we are serious about Chubba developing over the next two years. The clock is ticking on Chubba, so he and his family have a decision to make. Will Nebraska be serious or will this be a waste of time?
Rhule made it pretty clear that the offensive staff is being evaluated. I have little doubt that Trev is involved in that process. We have a football guy leading the ADept. Thats a really good thing. Moos was a football guy but he was also a drunk and mostly absent for 2 years

Reactions: scarletred
So if purdy can win games in crunch time we’d be awesome? Yes, i agree
He’s a smart talented kid that we need to keep. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to recruit over him and Heinrich. College QBs are going to make mistakes. Michigan’s QB I think had a 4 INT game early this year? A lot of those mistakes are just lack of game experience and I’m not talking about just starting 5 or 6 games. Thats not enough

Chubba really played well but made two mistakes. The ill timed forward lateral attempt was from watching too much of Mahommes. The INT was just a bad read or throw. Maybe a QB coach helps that but the best teacher is often making those mistakes.

He’ll take that last INT to the grave with him. I had one pitch way behind me that I couldn’t corral in the only game my team lost 48 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Over 100 carries with no fumbles and I remember not being able to reach back and snag that pitch.

87rmh2.jpg
The edit feature does not allow the public vote check box. Only when you start the poll is that an option. Start a new poll thats better than this with more funny answers to prove it. I hate the fact that I didn't check the right box to begin with.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Absolutely agree. It may not be necessary to do every year, but going in to next year they need to spend whatever it takes to bring In a real talent at QB. It only takes one season to turn it around and they are literally one player away from making that turn a reality.
I disagree with you on one thing you wrote "It may not be necessary every year". It is not going back to the old days. Good players are going to get their money. Schools that want to be relevant are going to have to spend to get and keep good players.

'

Reactions: Frozone
Rhule said in his PC that they want to be old school and develop players. This made me think they wouldn't go after anyone with a market rate NIL request.
Oh, I knew that. I was just questioning the surprising number of votes for that option.

Here is what I do not get and I hope someone on here who knows about such things can help me. But how in the hell can it be that we do not have the donors for NIL money when we just raised $150 million for the new facility and are about to raise $450 million for a renovated stadium? How can we have $600 million in donor money available for facilities but not to buy players? What am I missing?

Here is what I do not get and I hope someone on here who knows about such things can help me. But how in the hell can it be that we do not have the donors for NIL money when we just raised $150 million for the new facility and are about to raise $450 million for a renovated stadium? How can we have $600 million in donor money available for facilities but not to buy players? What am I missing?
Forgo the facilities and build a super team

Old, rich, country club guys want their names on buildings. I think that's about all there is to it. And it's their money to do whatever they want with it, but I think it's short-sighted. When the boomers are gone or too old to come to games no one will attend anymore because we will have sucked for 30 plus years.

I don’t think the right beaks get wet if those guys start paying players instead of financing bloated construction jobs

Forgo the facilities and build a super team
Agree. The KC Royals are doing the same thing UNL is: Shove a new stadium, and inevitably higher costs inside and out of said stadium down everyone's throat. Then take poor team and force fans to pay costs while not enjoying on-field product.
This is crap. You want support for projects, give us product first. We aren't going to simply "trust" you anymore. You've exhausted our trust.

Old, rich, country club guys want their names on buildings. I think that's about all there is to it. And it's their money to do whatever they want with it, but I think it's short-sighted. When the boomers are gone or too old to come to games no one will attend anymore because we will have sucked for 30 plus years.
Yup. I honestly think the University thinks that fans will always show up no matter what. And maybe they will for a while.

But I’ve already started to see it. Tailgating doesn’t nearly have the buzz that it used to. And I’m told from my buddy that runs a large one that it’s been getting slower and slower every year. Shop owners went on the local news and talked about merch sales being down. The next step is they stop coming in the stadium. And it may not happen soon, but it will happen eventually. Remember when Nebraska basketball was pulling in like 5000-6000 at Devany? They had better figure this out.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
It’s really not that hard to understand. Most NIL money is wasted. The vast majority of talent that receives that money will never do anything that remotely justify it.

If you own Bob’s Ford on Dodge street, how often are you going to want to pony up $50k to 1890 that more or less is going to be lit on with fire except you didn’t even get the excitement of watching it burn? The answer is your not, unless you are basically in the SEC and that is your way of life no matter how irresponsible it might seem.

Yes if you are an old rich guy you want something for your dollar. Names in buildings etc. also if you are a rich guy and you give a mega donation, chances are you probably have at least a subcontract on one of these projects or are invested in some other way.

Reactions: nu2u
also if you are a rich guy and you give a mega donation, chances are you probably have at least a subcontract on one of these projects or are invested in some other way.
this should be point #1

Not a chance that facilities money isn’t coming back around

It’s also a write off, unlike Collective donations

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It’s really not that hard to understand. Most NIL money is wasted. The vast majority of talent that receives that money will never do anything that remotely justify it.

If you own Bob’s Ford on Dodge street, how often are you going to want to pony up $50k to 1890 that more or less is going to be lit on with fire except you didn’t even get the excitement of watching it burn? The answer is your not, unless you are basically in the SEC and that is your way of life no matter how irresponsible it might seem.

Yes if you are an old rich guy you want something for your dollar. Names in buildings etc. also if you are a rich guy and you give a mega donation, chances are you probably have at least a subcontract on one of these projects or are invested in some other way.
Collectives could be really powerful in Nebraska if fans believed in them and the people in charge of them. If we are going to be a developmental school then we will need to pay the guys we develop to stay.

But we need to focus on the front-end with some positions to get the caliber of player needed to win championships. Assuming we want to be a power running team that is capable of throwing it well too we'll need:

1. QB's
2. DL's
3. RB's
4. OT's

Reactions: BleedRed78
Collectives could be really powerful in Nebraska if fans believed in them and the people in charge of them. If we are going to be a developmental school then we will need to pay the guys we develop to stay.

But we need to focus on the front-end with some positions to get the caliber of player needed to win championships. Assuming we want to be a power running team that is capable of throwing it well too we'll need:

1. QB's
2. DL's
3. RB's
4. OT's
Believed in is the key. I have zero faith in our collective. It's kind of like the team at this point, land a difference maker and you will have my attention.

Yep. Everyone is in prove it mode...unfortunately the team has failed at that with every chance it's gotten in the last 20 years.

Some people understand that no matter who the QB is we need more help for them. They also understand that ALL QBs are going to throw picks and fumble . Taylor Martinez did. Tommy Armstrong did. Zac Taylor did.

Those posters also understand that this was the first year of a new offense with devastating skill position injuries. We played 3 QBs and 2 of those guys had zero or very little previous game experience. As Rhule stated, those 2 guys have room for growth.

Personally I believe it’s going to be tough to attract a QB people are going to be happy with unless we way over pay. Proven QBs aren’t interested in teams who haven’t been to a bowl for 7 years no matter the money. You still have to try to get one.
I agree. WR is the other major need. We have some young guys that can become great but having a player that can burn teams consistently is desperately needed. We had that in Palmer and need it in 2024.

I agree. WR is the other major need. We have some young guys that can become great but having a player that can burn teams consistently is desperately needed. We had that in Palmer and need it in 2024.
We have that guy. His name is Jalen Lloyd.

We have that guy. His name is Jalen Lloyd.
Lloyd might become that guy but right now he’s not strong enough off the LOS. We need a bigger guy who can make tough catches in traffic and who has a knack for finding ways to get open. Lloyd’s success has largely been defenses not understanding how straight line fast he is.

Lloyd might become that guy but right now he’s not strong enough off the LOS. We need a bigger guy who can make tough catches in traffic and who has a knack for finding ways to get open. Lloyd’s success has largely been defenses not understanding how straight line fast he is.
I'm 100% certain Iowa knew how fast Lloyd was. I'm guessing they even evaluated him in high school.

I'm not opposed to taking a portal player at WR but the young guys all got significant minutes and we have 3 commitments. Only so many portal spots available and I wouldn't personally use one on WR, unless there was a true difference maker willing to come here.

I'm 100% certain Iowa knew how fast Lloyd was. I'm guessing they even evaluated him in high school.

I'm not opposed to taking a portal player at WR but the young guys all got significant minutes and we have 3 commitments. Only so many portal spots available and I wouldn't personally use one on WR, unless there was a true difference maker willing to come here.
Lloyd’s main value at this point is straight line deep against a defense sucking up to stop the run. Right now who is that guy on our team who makes those sideline toe dragging first down catches? We don’t have that guy that I see. We need guys who are good enough to be playing in the NFL as they exist today.

Don’t worry about what that fool says, he has issues that causes him to take his aggression out on people on here.
He might get there. Right now he’s not an NFL able WR. That’s what I’m envisioning. Coleman I think probably has a better chance of developing in to a top target IMO. Coleman has made some tough catches and is long enough.

Lloyd’s main value at this point is straight line deep against a defense sucking up to stop the run. Right now who is that guy on our team who makes those sideline toe dragging first down catches? We don’t have that guy that I see. We need guys who are good enough to be playing in the NFL as they exist today.
Good luck with that. I don't know if Palmer was even that guy and he had a lot of high level experience. I suppose we could try to find a Toure but the problem is guys like Toure now know how valuable they are.

I feel good about letting the WR room grow and develop. Same for DL. I would only add a real difference maker at those groups. A legit NFL guy. Not an NFL FA. Bigger needs on the team.

Good luck with that. I don't know if Palmer was even that guy and he had a lot of high level experience. I suppose we could try to find a Toure but the problem is guys like Toure now know how valuable they are.

I feel good about letting the WR room grow and develop. Same for DL. I would only add a real difference maker at those groups. A legit NFL guy. Not an NFL FA. Bigger needs on the team.
I don’t disagree with the development part and Coleman or Doss might become the guy I’m envisioning.

I don’t disagree with the development part and Coleman or Doss might become the guy I’m envisioning.
He's going to be undersized but I think that WR recruit from Miami is going to be good. This is going to be a very fast wr room next year and the year after. Wish they could find a blazing rb to go with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT