ADVERTISEMENT

Post- Game Thoughts

He didn’t force anything. Threw the ball away when he should have and made some great throws. He climbed the pocket!!!! Stuff we haven’t seen in forever.
This. Meant to bring this up earlier. Any QB who doesn't force something while trying to move the sticks should be applauded. For a true freshman to send it out of bounds rather than force something.......let's just say NU hasn't had one of those QBs for quite some time.

Again, I watched only highlights, but clearly saw DR going through progressions, then of course delivering on time and on target. Don't think I've seen that since Zac Taylor.
Going back to a post I made after the CU-NDSU game, CU is really strong in a few positions (QB, WRs, maybe some DBs) but NU appears to be strong across the board. I like that, a lot!

I didn’t get to watch too closely but kicking off short and once OB seemed less than ideal. But Boom did get ahold of a punt, which was encouraging.
The short kickoffs were by design according to Rhule. The kickoff OB I’ll let go due to first D1 game adrenaline. I didn’t like the coverage on our 1st punt but it was better on the 2nd. 13 corralled a bad snap on our only FG attempt, 30 kicked well on his only FG attempt + all EP, 17 might have scored on a return if he doesn’t stumble and fall down. Overall, I thought the kicking game was the best we’ve had in some time. Yes, still room for improvement. Can they do it consistently?

I like the fact that we have a run game where our QB won’t have to be our leading rusher too.
I agree which it’s been years where we have had trouble producing enough rushing yards.

Was little concerned early in the game that we were using too many running backs..

So I’m in Chicago, headed to a concert and didn’t get to watch the game as close as I would have liked. But did see it. What were your observations?

To me it was mostly good stuff. Only real issues I noticed were Hartzog got picked on a little and Fidone seemed to struggle both blocking and passing. Also kicking game is still probably a question. But the most complete game we’ve had in a while.
Pearl Jam?

There were two passes he threw that were somewhat dangerous. But the TD throws were money and on point and going through progressions was awesome. Also didn’t panic on the 2nd and 30 - gotta a chunk and then another. Smart football for the most part. Wasn’t flawless - but man considering his age, I’m impressed and it’s what I was hoping for.
The throw into double coverage was a bit risky but DR hit the receiver in the facemask

I might be overly critical here but running backs looked average to me.

Banks and Neyor looked like massive upgrades from what we had last year. Glad we got them.

Dylan is obviously light years ahead of what we've had at QB.

The group as a whole or certain players?

If DD doesn't fumble does that change your opinion of the groups performance?
As a group. No one really stands out. Ramir looks like #4.

Obviously not fumbling makes them better. Just as if they all broke long runs. But that's not what happened.

The throw into double coverage was a bit risky but DR hit the receiver in the facemask
Thought the same thing. Was watching with a guy who doesn't watch much CFB, just NFL. We were both like, whoa, double coverage, not good. Then watched the replay and he was like, GD, that freshman put it right on him. Kind of fun watching with an unbiased source who had no idea who DR was.

Obviously not fumbling makes them better. Just as if they all broke long runs. But that's not what happened.
I'm just sick of these upperclassmen like Rahmir not having the vision to cut right and get a 1st down. That is the kind of shit that cost us games in past years, stalling a drive.

Reactions: timnsun and Dylman

Could also mean the OL is finally doing its job. I agree there is no clear standout, but having four viable options will pay off as the season progresses.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Too lazy to look it up but in an interview Rhule said he doesn't want kickoffs into the end zone. He wants teams to catch the ball and try to advance it. He must be seeing something good with the ST coverage.

Urban Meyer was always big on that kickoff to the coffin corner.

I'm just sick of these upperclassmen like Rahmir not having the vision to cut right and get a 1st down. That is the kind of shit that cost us games in past years, stalling a drive.
The one play I am thinking of is likely the same that you are thinking of as well… There was such a big hole had he simply cut it up but he strung it out wide and got very little if anything at all… That was frustrating to watch.

Too lazy to look it up but in an interview Rhule said he doesn't want kickoffs into the end zone. He wants teams to catch the ball and try to advance it. He must be seeing something good with the ST coverage.

Was that for just the UTEP game? Or all of them? I've heard all my life that if you can get it through the end zone and eliminate even the slightest possibility of a return, you do it 100% of the time. Like, that's basic football 101 stuff. If Rhule plans to do that for all games, that would be the first I've heard it or seen it in my 20 plus years of watching football.

Was that for just the UTEP game? Or all of them? I've heard all my life that if you can get it through the end zone and eliminate even the slightest possibility of a return, you do it 100% of the time. Like, that's basic football 101 stuff. If Rhule plans to do that for all games, that would be the first I've heard it or seen it in my 20 plus years of watching football.
Not sure. I've seen so many X posts before/since the game I couldn't tell you. Heck, I'm not even sure which board I saw it on.

After watching the game again and listening to what some on here have said, I'm walking back a bit in my initial take on Fidone's play. Virtually every pass to him was contested early on because his blockers whiffed so many times. He still may not have it, but yesterday wasn't as clear-cut as I first thought and he had little chance to execute the plays to him.

As a unit, not really a question mark. The one individual, yes Fidone doesn't look like our Best TE, not even top 3. The rest played well a d we add a stud blocker too.
Just put Fidone on the bench. Nelson already looks to be the future in the pass game and we have better blocking TE's than Fidone. He doesn't run right either, which seems to be a common theme with guys who wear a brace. Thing would be better off thrown in the trash.

He had his fair share of nice moves that added yards to his runs as well.
As a 5th (6th?) year guy I would expect him to make a few nice plays against UTEP. I'm just saying, for a guy that was in the same class as Wandale Robinson I would expect him to have enough experience and vision to cut it up and get the first down rather then string it out. That is exactly the kind of nonsense that has kept us from a bowl game for 7 years.

Just put Fidone on the bench. Nelson already looks to be the future in the pass game and we have better blocking TE's than Fidone. He doesn't run right either, which seems to be a common theme with guys who wear a brace. Thing would be better off thrown in the trash.
Nelson is a WR. Rhule said Nelson will move to TE IF he naturally grows into the position. So not even 100% they will bulk him up to 250+ to play traditional TE. Not an apples to apples comparison when one guy is listed at slot and one is an inline TE.

Kind of ironic to be dogging on Fidone's blocking when bad blocking was the main reason he never got a chance to make a play on his catches. The new kid should eventually be our best inline blocker but we have some games to win before he sees significant minutes IMO.

Reactions: Laner2
As a 5th (6th?) year guy I would expect him to make a few nice plays against UTEP. I'm just saying, for a guy that was in the same class as Wandale Robinson I would expect him to have enough experience and vision to cut it up and get the first down rather then string it out. That is exactly the kind of nonsense that has kept us from a bowl game for 7 years.
Really rationalizing here, but could Rahmir be working off of muscle memory after five years of HAVING to bounce outside? This is a reach, but when he bounced out when that inside cut was SO wide open I was kinda shocked.

Not sure about the rest of the season. Take away the KO that went OB, we had 2 touchbacks, 1 they started at the 18 (+7 yards for NU), 1 at the 16 (+9 yards for NU) and 1 at the 21 (+4 yards for NU). We gained 20 yards by kicking it short. Subtract the 10 yards from the OB and we still gained 10 yards from short kickoffs. Maybe we don’t do it every game but I’ll +10 or +20 every game if we can get it.

Reactions: Laner2 and headcard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT