ADVERTISEMENT

Post- Game Thoughts

He didn’t force anything. Threw the ball away when he should have and made some great throws. He climbed the pocket!!!! Stuff we haven’t seen in forever.
This. Meant to bring this up earlier. Any QB who doesn't force something while trying to move the sticks should be applauded. For a true freshman to send it out of bounds rather than force something.......let's just say NU hasn't had one of those QBs for quite some time.

Again, I watched only highlights, but clearly saw DR going through progressions, then of course delivering on time and on target. Don't think I've seen that since Zac Taylor.
Going back to a post I made after the CU-NDSU game, CU is really strong in a few positions (QB, WRs, maybe some DBs) but NU appears to be strong across the board. I like that, a lot!

I didn’t get to watch too closely but kicking off short and once OB seemed less than ideal. But Boom did get ahold of a punt, which was encouraging.
The short kickoffs were by design according to Rhule. The kickoff OB I’ll let go due to first D1 game adrenaline. I didn’t like the coverage on our 1st punt but it was better on the 2nd. 13 corralled a bad snap on our only FG attempt, 30 kicked well on his only FG attempt + all EP, 17 might have scored on a return if he doesn’t stumble and fall down. Overall, I thought the kicking game was the best we’ve had in some time. Yes, still room for improvement. Can they do it consistently?

I like the fact that we have a run game where our QB won’t have to be our leading rusher too.
I agree which it’s been years where we have had trouble producing enough rushing yards.

Was little concerned early in the game that we were using too many running backs..

So I’m in Chicago, headed to a concert and didn’t get to watch the game as close as I would have liked. But did see it. What were your observations?

To me it was mostly good stuff. Only real issues I noticed were Hartzog got picked on a little and Fidone seemed to struggle both blocking and passing. Also kicking game is still probably a question. But the most complete game we’ve had in a while.
Pearl Jam?

There were two passes he threw that were somewhat dangerous. But the TD throws were money and on point and going through progressions was awesome. Also didn’t panic on the 2nd and 30 - gotta a chunk and then another. Smart football for the most part. Wasn’t flawless - but man considering his age, I’m impressed and it’s what I was hoping for.
The throw into double coverage was a bit risky but DR hit the receiver in the facemask

I might be overly critical here but running backs looked average to me.

Banks and Neyor looked like massive upgrades from what we had last year. Glad we got them.

Dylan is obviously light years ahead of what we've had at QB.

The group as a whole or certain players?

If DD doesn't fumble does that change your opinion of the groups performance?
As a group. No one really stands out. Ramir looks like #4.

Obviously not fumbling makes them better. Just as if they all broke long runs. But that's not what happened.

The throw into double coverage was a bit risky but DR hit the receiver in the facemask
Thought the same thing. Was watching with a guy who doesn't watch much CFB, just NFL. We were both like, whoa, double coverage, not good. Then watched the replay and he was like, GD, that freshman put it right on him. Kind of fun watching with an unbiased source who had no idea who DR was.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Obviously not fumbling makes them better. Just as if they all broke long runs. But that's not what happened.
I'm just sick of these upperclassmen like Rahmir not having the vision to cut right and get a 1st down. That is the kind of shit that cost us games in past years, stalling a drive.

Reactions: Dylman

Could also mean the OL is finally doing its job. I agree there is no clear standout, but having four viable options will pay off as the season progresses.

Too lazy to look it up but in an interview Rhule said he doesn't want kickoffs into the end zone. He wants teams to catch the ball and try to advance it. He must be seeing something good with the ST coverage.

Urban Meyer was always big on that kickoff to the coffin corner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT