ADVERTISEMENT

Portal QB's

Reactions: headcard and jteten
Makes no sense Howard isn’t a typical rilley quarterback
agree that howard is much more a pro style qb than riley has had success with in the past. i thought it would interesting here to know he came to manhattan to visit though. will's going to make a ton of cash next season. good on him.

I wonder if Howard will announce his pick before the bowl game.

agree that howard is much more a pro style qb than riley has had success with in the past. i thought it would interesting here to know he came to manhattan to visit though. will's going to make a ton of cash next season. good on him.
Why isn't KSU ponying up?

We need Peetz or an established QB coach first, let him pick the QB
Well maybe there already is one but it's not going to be announced until later. You can't sleep/wait on the portal as it will be a scramble to get the guys in high demand.

I wonder if Howard will announce his pick before the bowl game.
2023 Will Howard QBR 75 for ENTIRE year with 10 INTs, 4.3 ypc over the last 2 games. Previous games that I can find were 2.7 to minus 2 ypc. 2023 Cubba Purdy QBR 74 with 3 INTs, 7 yards per carry average. Just saying I’m not sure Howard is as big of an upgrade as some think. He does have a LOT more experience on the plus side.

Last edited:
2023 Will Howard QBR 75 with 10 INTs, 4.3 ypc over the last 2 games. Previous games that I can find were 2.7 to minus 2 ypc. 2023 Cubba Purdy QBR 74 with 3 INTs, 7 yards per carry average. Just saying I’m not sure Howard is as big of an upgrade as some think. He does have a LOT more experience on the plus side.
Typing Howard and Purdy in the same sentence is an insult to rational thought. C'mon man. Sure, let's quote stats from the last two games because they happen to fit your argument. Howard's career QBR is like 130 and anything over 100 is excellent. Like comparing Private Benjamin to General Patton.

Typing Howard and Purdy in the same sentence is an insult to rational thought. C'mon man. Sure, let's quote stats from the last two games because they happen to fit your argument. Howard's career QBR is like 130 and anything over 100 is excellent. Like comparing Private Benjamin to General Patton.
His QBR of 75 is for the ENTIRE 2023 season per ESPN. I gave the last 2 games of his rushing because they didn’t offer his whole year stats for that. The games they showed his average was about 2 ypc.

Can someone clarify if visiting a player before the portal open is allowed by the NCAA? That would be my first question to determine if that tweet is legit. I thought everything was done by an intermediary, ie hs coach, until the portal opened.
The portal is open already to have your name in. If you are a grad transfer or your coach was fired, etc you can be in there.
If you are a regular portal transfer, officially you can enter starting Monday.

Reactions: Huskers123456
The portal is open already to have your name in. If you are a grad transfer or your coach was fired, etc you can be in there.
If you are a regular portal transfer, officially you can enter starting Monday.
I’m not sure how they would keep a guy from making an unofficial visit before the portal is open.

Like comparing Private Benjamin to General Patton.
See, there's something to be said about choosing the Private.
1f438336-33f5-4781-b0a1-452228b0b64a-2060x1236.jpeg

His QBR of 75 is for the ENTIRE 2023 season per ESPN. I gave the last 2 games of his rushing because they didn’t offer his whole year stats for that. The games they showed his average was about 2 ypc.
Ok, if that's the case then maybe the statistics make it appear to be a closer case. I'm honestly not sure we're talking the same ratings as it seems every site has their own version. But still, c'mon man... Purdy vs Howard? Potential early round draft pick vs a guy that hasn't done anything?

Who would you like to see us get in the portal? Surely you can't want us to stand pat with Chubba?

Reactions: BleedRed78
if riley is interested as rumored, i don't believe N has the resources to compete with usc anyway. coaching, nil, pedigree all go to riley's bench. howard is likely going to the guy with the dough and the acumen to best prepare him for the nfl. that's probably lincoln but not nebraska.

Ok, if that's the case then maybe the statistics make it appear to be a closer case. I'm honestly not sure we're talking the same ratings as it seems every site has their own version. But still, c'mon man... Purdy vs Howard? Potential early round draft pick vs a guy that hasn't done anything?

Who would you like to see us get in the portal? Surely you can't want us to stand pat with Chubba?
Howard is fine but he’s a one and done. It seems there’s plenty to choose from but it’s about fit and a willing Qb. I might lean towards a younger guy

Reactions: mgbreis
if riley is interested as rumored, i don't believe N has the resources to compete with usc anyway. coaching, nil, pedigree all go to riley's bench. howard is likely going to the guy with the dough and the acumen to best prepare him for the nfl. that's probably lincoln but not nebraska.
I think USC’s next QB isn’t in the portal yet. Riley is just doing his due diligence, also not sure that Howard will settle on NU.

Reactions: dinglefritz

That's exactly what he wants is us to stand pat with the crap football team we have. He always manages to find the one dimension that one crap player has compared to a good player and tries to make it seem like they're comparable. But he fails to account that one player managed those stats over a full season while the other did it over a couple games, they are not comparable situations at all. People with a loser's mentality do this sort of thing all the time.

i'll just say that will howard to my eyes watching over the past four years is a quality quarterback but not elite. if you get him, you'll be a far better program on multiple levels.

but i don't see a b10 championship resulting. he'll certainly bring a competitive offense to go with the fine defense and a good bowl game; 8-9 wins.

i'll just say that will howard to my eyes watching over the past four years is a quality quarterback but not elite. if you get him, you'll be a far better program on multiple levels. but i don't see a b10 championship resulting. he'll certainly bring a competitive offense to go with the fine defense and a good bowl game.
Dude, we ain’t winnig a big 10 championship next year with Bo Nix

Howard is fine but he’s a one and done. It seems there’s plenty to choose from but it’s about fit and a willing Qb. I might lean towards a younger guy
I get wanting a guy for multiple years but Nebraska can't turn away a one-and-done winner. We need to win so bad, it's time to eliminate as many variables and experiments as possible. You're right, there are many options out there so I'm not Howard or bust by any stretch, but it better be a proven performer. I don't even care what style of QB they are as long as they've won. A lot. I like the Coastal Carolina guy.

i'll just say that will howard to my eyes watching over the past four years is a quality quarterback but not elite. if you get him, you'll be a far better program on multiple levels.

but i don't see a b10 championship resulting. he'll certainly bring a competitive offense to go with the fine defense and a good bowl game; 8-9 wins.
Sold. Send him up.

Having an experienced QB that can read defenses and find/hit open receivers would be an absolute boon for this offense and team. Didn't watch much of KSU this year, but their offensive production likely fell off a bit because the loss of Deuce Vaughn. With a Strong run game, Howard is dangerous. Being nearly 250 lbs also should help him to get through an entire season.. Howard would be a great get for us.

I do think Purdy could be a good one though, just not sure if he can get there in time for next year (to win at a high level) and is injury prone. It would be good for Purdy to learn behind an experienced QB like Howard.

His passer rating was 140 last year 149 the year before. And Dingle leaves out that he also threw 24 TD’s and ran for 9 more last year. Howard would be a good pick up.

Could be that Riley is just interested in driving up the NIL price for his conference competitors next year.

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
That's exactly what he wants is us to stand pat with the crap football team we have. He always manages to find the one dimension that one crap player has compared to a good player and tries to make it seem like they're comparable. But he fails to account that one player managed those stats over a full season while the other did it over a couple games, they are not comparable situations at all. People with a loser's mentality do this sort of thing all the time.
I think it's human nature to stick by a guy if you've said in the past "I think this guy can be good." Hell, it gets actual coaches in trouble all the time. Frost/Martinez as Exhibit A.

I get wanting a guy for multiple years but Nebraska can't turn away a one-and-done winner. We need to win so bad, it's time to eliminate as many variables and experiments as possible. You're right, there are many options out there so I'm not Howard or bust by any stretch, but it better be a proven performer. I don't even care what style of QB they are as long as they've won. A lot. I like the Coastal Carolina guy.
The other thing in play here:

We go into this cycle with HH or CP tagged as the starter, we aren't going to be even in the conversation for any receivers worth a shit.

Evidence: the numbers our WR room put up this season.

• Love
Reactions: pascal and mgbreis
100%. We have to win now, no more excuses. Some good things happened this year (only 1 side of the ball), but it’s still 7 years of failure.

Proven multi-year guy would be a dream, but taking best QB possible should be priority.
If it’s one and done, Rhule just needs to show he’s capable of leading a winning team at Nebraska, in the new B1G.

Sense of urgency is calling… pick it up.

Oh okay.

I’m sure it was completely innocent. Not at all passive aggressive.

Our spending (12th, was it?) is not in line with our expectations. It is in line with our performance, however.
Who did you want for HC? Or are you too scared to say?

This I can agree with. Good but not Elite.

2023 Will Howard QBR 75 for ENTIRE year with 10 INTs, 4.3 ypc over the last 2 games. Previous games that I can find were 2.7 to minus 2 ypc. 2023 Cubba Purdy QBR 74 with 3 INTs, 7 yards per carry average. Just saying I’m not sure Howard is as big of an upgrade as some think. He does have a LOT more experience on the plus side.
Way better than Purdy, not even close.

We don't need a Big 10 championship. We need a winning season to restore faith in humanity. I've this guy before but I never figured he would be possibly playing at NU so I don't remember much. If Riley is kicking the tires then I'm interested.

The other thing in play here:

We go into this cycle with HH or CP tagged as the starter, we aren't going to be even in the conversation for any receivers worth a shit.

Evidence: the numbers our WR room put up this season.
There should be a ton of receivers in the portal. Getting a stud receiver is every bit as important as getting a decent qb. Need to pony up some dough this offseason.

Healthy purdy has already started for 2 P5 teams.

He’s never won a single game for either in 4 years.

He can’t handle it.

The hot tub business might suit him.
Purdy wasn’t healthy this season. Not for one single game. What are you even talking about?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT