ADVERTISEMENT

Portal QB's

His passer rating was 140 last year 149 the year before. And Dingle leaves out that he also threw 24 TD’s and ran for 9 more last year. Howard would be a good pick up.
I never said he wouldn’t be a good pick up. Just pumping the brakes a little bit on the savior syndrome. He would have to learn a new offense which we’ve been told is a somewhat complex pro offense.

Expectations for him I’m afraid would be that he would perform like he’s run our offense for 2 years already and that’s not realistic

I never said he wouldn’t be a good pick up. Just pumping the brakes a little bit on the savior syndrome. He would have to learn a new offense which we’ve been told is a somewhat complex pro offense.

Expectations for him I’m afraid would be that he would perform like he’s run our offense for 2 years already and that’s not realistic
Well the complexity of learning a new offense depends on who is the OC for next year. If it's Satt (and it might not be), I think Satt tries to adjust his offense more to the strengths of the talent than some OC's might do (e.g., last year's OC).

Purdy wasn’t healthy this season. Not for one single game. What are you even talking about?!
Health had nothing to do with his failures. Unless we're talking vision or hand strength (interceptions and untouched fumbles). He was fast and had a good handle on the playbook for a guy that barely played. I like the kid, but again - win now, stop screwing around with "good someday" guys.

Well the complexity of learning a new offense depends on who is the OC for next year. If it's Satt (and it might not be), I think Satt tries to adjust his offense more to the strengths of the talent than some OC's might do (e.g., last year's OC).
I don’t care who the OC is, there will be growing pains.

There should be a ton of receivers in the portal. Getting a stud receiver is every bit as important as getting a decent qb. Need to pony up some dough this offseason.
There are always a ton of receivers available. If they're worth a damn, they're going somewhere that has a QB that can complete forward passes regularly.

If you were a WR that could command NIL $$$$ would you want to come to a program that had Sims, CP, and HH as the key people responsible for helping further your career?

For all we know, Purdy might be eyeing the portal.
That would be a big loss IMO. He’s a talented smart guy that already knows the offense. I’m skeptical of us actually signing somebody better. We’re just not a very alluring team yet.

That's exactly what he wants is us to stand pat with the crap football team we have. He always manages to find the one dimension that one crap player has compared to a good player and tries to make it seem like they're comparable. But he fails to account that one player managed those stats over a full season while the other did it over a couple games, they are not comparable situations at all. People with a loser's mentality do this sort of thing all the time.
Please show me where I even once have said we should stand pat. Stop lying.

I think it's human nature to stick by a guy if you've said in the past "I think this guy can be good." Hell, it gets actual coaches in trouble all the time. Frost/Martinez as Exhibit A.
Don’t disagree with that at all. We’ve gotten a pretty small sample so far of Purdy. He might not ever get it done but a transfer QB is going to have some growing pains learning a new offense too.

Reactions: mgbreis and WHCSC
Tbf, in this thread you did say we needed to find another QB. I'll give credit where it's due.
Thank you. I just don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water. We need at least 3 QBs to compete for the job in addition to Kaelin and I don’t think we want 3 new guys. Two maybe. One definitely. I’m not counting on Sims for anything. The dude has tantalizing physical ability but damn.

80% of starting QB are going into the portal it seems - even some who were young/highly rated and didn't play. No more excuses not to have a decent QB

Reactions: BleedRed78
80% of starting QB are going into the portal it seems - even some who were young/highly rated and didn't play. No more excuses not to have a decent QB
A lot of these players are just as risky as recruiting a hs qb. Are they damaged goods or just unlocked potential? Why didn't they play? Why did they play poorly? Why are they leaving?

I think it's almost harder to figure if a lot of these portal players are good.

A lot of these players are just as risky as recruiting a hs qb. Are they damaged goods or just unlocked potential? Why didn't they play? Why did they play poorly? Why are they leaving?

Yes, evaluation is still key but the difference is that a portal QB that has played in many games already has experience at the college level.

So the players hitting the portal now. Are they not playing there teams bowl games?
Some players only care about bowl games IF their team is in the playoffs for a national championship. If not in the playoffs, many players now care more about getting on with their personal future than what is to them a meaningless bowl game. And of course for some being early to the portal is critical because transfer slots get taken up so they don't want to have their choices limited.

I’d guess USC here.
Friend of mine that is reasonably tied in to OU just told me that Gabriel was told that he won’t be starting next year and they they are handing the reins to Jackson Arnold. Sounds nuts because Arnold could turn around and transfer right after next season if it doesn’t go well. College football is the Wild West.

Well we shouldn't have to worry about that as there's no reason we shouldn't be able to land a top transfer qb who has plenty of game experience like Howard.

Friend of mine that is reasonably tied in to OU just told me that Gabriel was told that he won’t be starting next year and they they are handing the reins to Jackson Arnold. Sounds nuts because Arnold could turn around and transfer right after next season if it doesn’t go well. College football is the Wild West.
That's how you run off players to create room on the roster. You just tell a starter he won't be starting any more. Now whether it makes any sense or not for the team is a totally different matter.

I don’t care who the OC is, there will be growing pains.
And yet tons of other guys transfer to another school and do great. You really think Nebraska QB's don't do well because we have this super complex system?? That's hilarious.

So the players hitting the portal now. Are they not playing there teams bowl games?
will howard will not play in k-state's bowl. the program is already featuring avery johnson as face of the program. interestingly, outland finalist and surefire nfl draftee, cooper beebe, will play in the bowl.

2023_FB_BowlGameGraphics_PopTartNCST_1920x1080.jpg

If he is he won't be there long....😂
avery johnson had offers from oregon, auburn, nebraska, notre dame, uw, all over the place. he could have gone anywhere. he chose his home state university to play for collin klein and chris klieman.

Not a bad point but thats an over used term to not throw a struggling qb under the bus. The offense we ran last year could have been done by most HS Sr. This is a grown adult. We could complicate the offense x5 and it wouldnt be a problem fpr any legitimate qb to operate within their physical limitations.

Not a bad point but thats an over used term to not throw a struggling qb under the bus. The offense we ran last year could have been done by most HS Sr. This is a grown adult. We could complicate the offense x5 and it wouldnt be a problem fpr any legitimate qb to operate within their physical limitations.
Yeah I don’t think a high school QB could make the reads necessary to be successful. He would be a rare dude given how P5 disguise their coverages.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT