ADVERTISEMENT

People need to be patient with Rhule …..

You lose all credibility with the use of frosturbators. Have some respect dude. He was a national championship winning QB @ NU. We all wanted it to work out but unfortunately it did not. Are you even a Husker fan to spew this garbage?
He’s not gonna **** you.

Idiot, HTF does anyone win "right away" @ a program that has been a dumpster fire since Pelini was let go? Are you 12?
Ahhh. Uncontrolled anger and lashing out at strangers. You are a bloner as well? Sorry about your learning disabilities

Some of us just recognize that he’s taking over a team full of guys who has never had a winning season. You’re living in lala land if you don’t understand the challenge.
Often times during a coaching change there is a roster purge and a lot of players leave or quit not to mention acclimating to the new staff and offensive and defensive schemes. With the portal and NIL I would agree it shouldn’t take as long as the old days but there is still a rebuilding process. You don’t have as many losing seasons in a row as Nebraska unless there are major talent issues. Most anyone as a coach or diehard fan has the common sense to realize these issues aren’t solved over night but take some time and a helluva lot of hard work. There are always players who won’t buy into the new culture or fit the new personnel scheme. Sometimes you have to take a step backward to build things back up. Not saying Nebraska will have a losing season next year but when a program is at rock bottom usually the first year isn’t always pretty.

24 Rhule players in NFL right now from Temple and Baylor, none of them were 4 or 5 stars.

So there is that….keep in mind he was recruiting to places with FAR more disadvantages than Nebraska at the time.

I don’t take this to mean Rhule will not go after 4-5 stars, but he will have a player profile that will include much more than star rating.
how many first-rounders?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Building a $150 million facility. Have $10m+ warchest for NIL. Going to earn $90 million / year from new TV deal.

But not a wealthy school lol....jeez, some of the takes here.
$10M is a lot of money, for sure. Where does it rank in the top 100 of 'war chests'? because THAT's the important number. $10M is SHIT if it doesn't land us in the top 20, because we won't average being in the top 20 otherwise. The math is obviously more complicated than that, but not a lot more complicated.

Money and Stars are EVERY BIT as important as coaching and development. Ya need both, at the end of the day. Callahan had top 10 classes and a horrible coaching staff as I remember... but I also remember us beating people. The last decade was been FAR WORSE than Cally and Bo. Can anyone seriously disagree with that?!?

There is an article floating around here about how Rhule recruited at Temple and Baylor, knowing he was at a disadvantage to other top programs. You should read it.
Neither of those programs were facing talent comparable to the Big 10. Frost did wonders.... @ UCF. Riley did wonders... @ Oregon State. Apples and Oranges.

• Haha
How many first rounders has NU had since Rhule went to Temple? Rhule had more draft picks between Temple and Baylor than NU did over three more years.
Everyone had more draft picks than Nebraska, lol...
Am curious how many high draft picks he had. Mediocre teams should be able to produce mediocre draft results. Our success placing players in the NFL is mostly congruent with how well we've recruited, statistically SOMEWHAT less due to retention of the better athletes. But still more congruent than not.

Far from 100% of the time, but still most of the time, most first round draft picks were recruited as Elite athletes. Elite athletes (4/5's), not 100% of the time but statistically more often than lesser recruits are your 'playmakers'. Look at OUR team, THIS year (Thompson, Palmer and Grant, despite a HORRIBLE O-line)... winning requires playmakers.

Recruiting athletes out of Texas and the east coast are also completely different than trying to accomplish the same talent out of Nebraska and adjacent region. Point is his results may be worse in terms of talent, than even Frost while he was here. Frost was getting the third best athletes out of Florida @ UCF but competing in a lesser conference. We lost most of our home-grown elite talent with the advent of the automatic hay-baler.

He does A LOT to do to improve our current suboptimal lot of recruits, or just statistically our best results will be mediocre. We may improve A LITTLE from 3-4 win seasons, but we will NEVER become a dominant team until we're consistently recruiting more talent.

Last edited:
Everyone had more draft picks than Nebraska, lol...
Am curious how many high draft picks he had. Mediocre teams should be able to produce mediocre draft results. Our success placing players in the NFL is mostly congruent with how well we've recruited, statistically SOMEWHAT less due to retention of the better athletes. But still more congruent than not.

Far from 100% of the time, but still most of the time, most first round draft picks were recruited as Elite athletes. Elite athletes (4/5's), not 100% of the time but statistically more often than lesser recruits are your 'playmakers'. Look at OUR team, THIS year (Thompson, Palmer and Grant, despite a HORRIBLE O-line)... winning requires playmakers.

Recruiting athletes out of Texas and the east coast are also completely different than trying to accomplish the same talent out of Nebraska and adjacent region. Point is his results may be worse in terms of talent, than even Frost while he was here. Frost was getting the third best athletes out of Florida @ UCF but competing in a lesser conference. We lost most of our home-grown elite talent with the advent of the automatic hay-baler.

He does A LOT to improve our current suboptimal lot of recruits, or just statistically our best results will be mediocre. We may improve A LITTLE from 3-4 win seasons, but we will NEVER become a dominant team until we're consistently recruiting more talent.
Ok Trolltonia...

So I also did some research...

I can't find 'NIL money' in any form of search engine, but 'total endowments' are published. Now I understand that what's available to spend on NIL stuff is just a fraction of 'total endowment', but booster donations, alumni donation does make up a HUGE percent of the total. I also realize than what a particular program chooses to put toward NIL or athletics in general will vary from university to university. There are variables that can't possibly be equivalent.

That said...

a) Nebraska ranks outside the top 25 amongst major public universities when it comes to total endowment. Drops to outside the top 60 when you include private schools. We are ELEVENTH in the Big10.

b) for every booster dollar spent directly on NIL, that's one less dollar that boosters are putting toward the general endowment. Allegedly.

b) moreover, the differences are NOT linear, not even close. We're estimated to have a total endowment within our university system of around $2.3B, and that may include UNO, UNK, etc. So that's another variable. Michigan, the richest Big10 school, by contrast, is north of $17B. I don't care how many variables you wanna throw in there, there just simply have exponentially NIL money to throw around. Texas (overall #1) has in excess of $40B. Exponentially higher. Sources tell me our NIL football 'war chest' is like $10-15M. Something like that.

Go crunch your own numbers. We're screwed for multiple reasons.

If Matt has talent to work with, he'll win immediately. What's in the cupboard - that's the question?

I can't find 'NIL money' in any form of search engine, but 'total endowments' are published. Now I understand that what's available to spend on NIL stuff is just a fraction of 'total endowment', but booster donations, alumni donation does make up a HUGE percent of the total. I also realize than what a particular program chooses to put toward NIL or athletics in general will vary from university to university. There are variables that can't possibly be equivalent.

That said...

a) Nebraska ranks outside the top 25 amongst major public universities when it comes to total endowment. Drops to outside the top 60 when you include private schools. We are ELEVENTH in the Big10.

b) for every booster dollar spent directly on NIL, that's one less dollar that boosters are putting toward the general endowment. Allegedly.

b) moreover, the differences are NOT linear, not even close. We're estimated to have a total endowment within our university system of around $2.3B, and that may include UNO, UNK, etc. So that's another variable. Michigan, the richest Big10 school, by contrast, is north of $17B. I don't care how many variables you wanna throw in there, there just simply have exponentially NIL money to throw around. Texas (overall #1) has in excess of $40B. Exponentially higher. Sources tell me our NIL football 'war chest' is like $10-15M. Something like that.

you wrote all this without knowing NIL money doesn't come from the university?

yikes

Ok Trolltonia...
well, tell me what's wrong in there. I'm a math guy. Pessimistic? YUP. But I feel that's it's a Reasonable pessimism. Maybe it's the best we can expect anymore. Maybe an occasional bowl invite would be considered a huge Victory within a good chunk of our fanbase anymore. Certainly would be a statistical improvement over the last many years. 6 years?

well, tell me what's wrong in there. I'm a math guy. Pessimistic? YUP. But I feel that's it's a Reasonable pessimism. Maybe it's the best we can expect anymore. Maybe an occasional bowl invite would be considered a huge Victory within a good chunk of our fanbase anymore. Certainly would be a statistical improvement over the last many years. 6 years?
your math is predicated on a false premise

endowment and NIL dollars are completely unrelated

one single private person or business may pay anything they want to a player in exchange for their representation in one way shape or form

see: eastern michigan offering $10M to Caleb Williams last offseason

you wrote all this without knowing NIL money doesn't come from the university?

yikes
No I get that, but you just numbers-wise have to include it in the 'total university endowment'. That's why I looked at it... for every dollar a booster spends on NIL recruitment, that's one less dollar that would otherwise go into the total endowment. It's part of it, or it's at least gotta be a somewhat consistent FRACTION of it from school to school. Does that make sense? I tried to put a disclaimer in there. You can certainly explain small differences between schools factoring in, say 'football school' vs. 'basketball school', or even number of individual schools within a system. You're not gonna factor out the EXPONENTS, though.

The overall point is that $10M sounds great, but it's nowhere comparable to the top schools. It's DEFINITELY not in the top 25, and I doubt it's even in the top 50.

your math is predicated on a false premise

endowment and NIL dollars are completely unrelated

one single private person or business may pay anything they want to a player in exchange for their representation in one way shape or form

see: eastern michigan offering $10M to Caleb Williams last offseason
they're completely different, you're 100% accurate. But please understand that you also need to subtract one from the other. There's still a valid ratio in there.

No I get that, but you just numbers-wise have to include it in the 'total university endowment'. That's why I looked at it... for every dollar a booster spends on NIL recruitment, that's one less dollar that would otherwise go into the total endowment. It's part of it, or it's at least gotta be a somewhat consistent FRACTION of it from school to school. Does that make sense? I tried to put a disclaimer in there. You can certainly explain small differences between schools factoring in, say 'football school' vs. 'basketball school', or even number of individual schools within a system. You're not gonna factor out the EXPONENTS, though.

The overall point is that $10M sounds great, but it's nowhere comparable to the top schools. It's DEFINITELY not in the top 25, and I doubt it's even in the top 50.
all of this is flat out false

why do you have to include it in the total endowment? the money does not go to the university. do you also have to count hourly pay to students for jobs into total endowment? of course not! this is the exact same thing

you also cannot conclude that each dollar must be taken from one bucket and put into another. these resources are not finite, and there are ZERO regulations stipulating how much one can either donate to the university or pay a private athlete in exchange for a service

this is very, very basic economics mixed with just a teeny tiny bit of state-by-state legislation

if your overall point was we cannot afford what Texas can, just say it

they're completely different, you're 100% accurate. But please understand that you also need to subtract one from the other. There's still a valid ratio in there.
if money were finite or limited by regulation, you would be correct

it is not

all of this is flat out false

why do you have to include it in the total endowment? the money does not go to the university. do you also have to count hourly pay to students for jobs into total endowment? of course not! this is the exact same thing

you also cannot conclude that each dollar must be taken from one bucket and put into another. these resources are not finite, and there are ZERO regulations stipulating how much one can either donate to the university or pay a private athlete in exchange for a service

this is very, very basic economics mixed with just a teeny tiny bit of state-by-state legislation

if your overall point was we cannot afford what Texas can, just say it
I am stating this operating under the ASSUMPTION, though I'd consider it to be a REASONABLE assumption, that dollars that a private donor spends on NIL recruitment, he or she would NOT OTHERWISE BE donating to the general endowment fund of his/her/its university. One should at least to an extent be a reciprocal of ther other. There will OBVIOUSLY be some 'slop' in there from Uni to Uni, but the overall ratios won't vary that much, if the variables are equivalent to within a standard deviation or so. If anything the richer schools are EVEN BETTER OFF if you accept the assumption that they'll have a statistically higher % of Billionaires making up their alumni, willing to chip in the numbers needed for recruiting elite athletes.

Let's also assume for the sake of argument that MOST truly elite athletes will choose MONEY over their sentimental choice of school.

I'm not 'flat out false'. There HAS TO BE at least a general association between total endowment and NIL funds available. Prove I'm wrong. I've done my best to explain it with...... math.

I am stating this operating under the ASSUMPTION, though I'd consider it to be a REASONABLE assumption, that dollars that a private donor spends on NIL recruitment, he or she would NOT OTHERWISE BE donating to the general endowment fund of his/her/its university. One should at least to an extent be a reciprocal of ther other. There will OBVIOUSLY be some 'slop' in there from Uni to Uni, but the overall ratios won't vary that much, if the variables are equivalent to within a standard deviation or so. If anything the richer schools are EVEN BETTER OFF if you accept the assumption that they'll have a statistically higher % of Billionaires making up their alumni, willing to chip in the numbers needed for recruiting elite athletes.

Let's also assume for the sake of argument that MOST truly elite athletes will choose MONEY over their sentimental choice of school.

I'm not 'flat out false'. There HAS TO BE at least a general association between total endowment and NIL funds available. Prove I'm wrong. I've done my best to explain it with...... math.
I did prove you're wrong

you refuse to listen

you claim you are providing a mathematical solution using data that are in no way correlated and in no way finite

also lol @ you using the words assumption a ton in trying to provide a concrete mathematical proof

That said...

Ok so you originally started with Rhules history of draft picks as to why he should not be the guy. Then you pull a completely 180 and start rambling on about university endowments which in turn does not corelate to NIL. You could have saved a lot a time with one sentence. "You don't think Rhule is the right guy"

if money were finite or limited by regulation, you would be correct

it is not
it's still at least to some extent (I'd opine large extent) a reciprocal relationship. Most folks capable of making big donations to their school aren't just chip in a shit-ton of 'extra money' for NIL recruitment without spending LESS on just general donations to the endowment. Does that not make sense?

it's still at least to some extent (I'd opine large extent) a reciprocal relationship. Most folks capable of making big donations to their school aren't just chip in a shit-ton of 'extra money' for NIL recruitment without spending LESS on just general donations to the endowment. Does that not make sense?
I understand that's how you would operate

I also understand that's not how math works

I did prove you're wrong

you refuse to listen

you claim you are providing a mathematical solution using data that are in no way correlated and in no way finite

also lol @ you using the words assumption a ton in trying to provide a concrete mathematical proof
never said it was 'concrete' and I said it was a reasonable assumption. At the same time they have to an extent be reciprocal.

NO, NIL is definitely not finite. No limits as far as I know. Prove to me that NIL donations to a specific school wouldn't at least some extent decrease their general endowment.

NIL money doesn't COME FROM the endowment. I get that. Never said that. Saying that the people donating to NIL funds are the exact same folks (alumni, mostly) that'd otherwise donate their hard-earned dollars to the school's overall endowment. Which makes them reciprocal. Maybe I didn't explain that well prior, and I doubt that you DON'T understand reciprocals, but shit Saban even kinda explained it this way in his commentary a few months ago.

The amount of money, total endowment, that a school is able to collect from their various sources, while technically isn't infinite, has in the history of money apparently never surpassed $50 billion. So historically it HAS been finite. If you can get that thru to your gray matter, you may also accept the premise I'm trying and failing to have you see.

..... all of is gonna add up to this Ruehl guy's tenure here being VERY finite :) won't last 4 years, IMHO. Math.

That said...

Endowment money is not going to used for NIL deals.

As far as the amount of money a program can raise for NIL football deals, OSU is by far number one in the Big Ten. Nebraska can be in the second group along with Penn State and Michigan.

never said it was 'concrete' and I said it was a reasonable assumption. At the same time they have to an extent be reciprocal.

NO, NIL is definitely not finite. No limits as far as I know. Prove to me that NIL donations to a specific school wouldn't at least some extent decrease their general endowment.

NIL money doesn't COME FROM the endowment. I get that. Never said that. Saying that the people donating to NIL funds are the exact same folks (alumni, mostly) that'd otherwise donate their hard-earned dollars to the school's overall endowment. Which makes them reciprocal. Maybe I didn't explain that well prior, and I doubt that you DON'T understand reciprocals, but shit Saban even kinda explained it this way in his commentary a few months ago.

The amount of money, total endowment, that a school is able to collect from their various sources, while technically isn't infinite, has in the history of money apparently never surpassed $50 billion. So historically it HAS been finite. If you can get that thru to your gray matter, you may also accept the premise I'm trying and failing to have you see.

..... all of is gonna add up to this Ruehl guy's tenure here being VERY finite :) won't last 4 years, IMHO. Math.
that is not math. that is theory.

that is not math. that is theory.
Whatever dude. Yeah it’s theory, but it’s based on math. Point is I doubt we’re in the top 25 schools in the nation, just based overall on what alumni would otherwise contribute to their respective universities. Call it what you will, but name me a better variable in how to figure that. Seriously.

And we may not be in the top 50. Just sayin.

I would add linebackers to list.. new coach/new approach!
Our backers played much better after we fired Chin. IMO the thing we need to look for in our linebacker coach going forward is a guy who can land difference maker linebackers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT