ADVERTISEMENT

Pederson's Plan A: Mike Sherman

i was mostly being facetious, but he did miss the start of the crazy money train.
You should talk to some guys who played in MLB or the NFL back in the 60s and early 70s. They made squat but if they played long enough at least their pensions are nice now. One friend blew off playing in the NFL because he could make as much as an OTR truck driver at the time.

Reactions: tpmcg
Mitch Sherman and Max Olson wrote a co-bylined story in The Athletic, published today, that quotes Harvey Perlman as saying Pederson almost brought Mike Sherman to Lincoln as Solich's replacement.

“Nebraska is one of the elite programs in the country,” Sherman said. “We were into the season, and I didn’t feel like I would be doing either team justice by getting too far involved in that thing. They had some interest and obviously, because it’s Nebraska, it’s a unique situation. But I stuck with the Packers.”
That was known a long time ago.

I've always considered the Meyer response as a cop out. I cringe every time I see this.

John Cooper was the head coach at ohio state. Two years after co-winning the conference and finishing #2 in the polls, Cooper was fired. The resemblance between Solich and Cooper firing situation is nearly carbon copy. The time difference between their respective firings: 3 years. The thought that Meyer wouldn't head to a program "like this" is laughable.

Sure. John Cooper besides his record against Michigan was a great coach at Ohio State. They regularly had 11 win seasons and this is when you played a fewer games so 11 wins were harder to come by. His last two years they went 6-6 and then 8-4 and he was fired. I'd go even further. Ohio State looks to be on track and might win out, but imagine if they lost to us and to Michigan and finish 9-3. Ryan Day won't be fired, but their fans will go crazy and he will at least fill the heat going into next year. There probably isn't a more high pressure job in the country than Ohio State. Florida was sort of similar. Ron Zook replaces Spurrier and is only given 3 years. In those 3 years he goes 8-5 8-5 and 7-4. Not great, but to can a guy in just 3 years when he produced three winning seasons and had great recruiting classes shows it is a pressure cooker job.

On the flip side, I do think firing a coach at Nebraska for going 9-3 is a big risk. Not saying Solich or Pelini didn't deserve to be fired, but Nebraska is a much harder place to win than many people thought when Solich got the axe. When Solich got fired, the era of Tom Osborne winning national titles, conference titles and always being ranked high was still fresh in everybody's mind. Sorry to say Nebraska isn't Ohio State where if you get a good coach, the program will be on autopilot with loads of talent coming in. Nebraska won with Devaney and Osborne because they were great great coaches that fit Nebraska well. Besides rare circumstances, Nebraska doesn't get the top recruiting classes that Ohio State routinely gets. Unfortunately I don't know if we will ever see that again. I was hoping Frost was our best chance, but it isn't looking like that.

You should talk to some guys who played in MLB or the NFL back in the 60s and early 70s. They made squat but if they played long enough at least their pensions are nice now. One friend blew off playing in the NFL because he could make as much as an OTR truck driver at the time.
oh, i lived across the street from an nfl player for awhile as a kid.
low middle to mid-middle class area.
i want to remember someone telling me an nfl player worked at the nfm in the summers.
entirely different economics back then.

Mitch Sherman and Max Olson wrote a co-bylined story in The Athletic, published today, that quotes Harvey Perlman as saying Pederson almost brought Mike Sherman to Lincoln as Solich's replacement.

“Nebraska is one of the elite programs in the country,” Sherman said. “We were into the season, and I didn’t feel like I would be doing either team justice by getting too far involved in that thing. They had some interest and obviously, because it’s Nebraska, it’s a unique situation. But I stuck with the Packers.”
I thought it was Dave Wannstadt? You can never trust Pederson to tell the truth, a bit of snake.

Sure. John Cooper besides his record against Michigan was a great coach at Ohio State. They regularly had 11 win seasons and this is when you played a fewer games so 11 wins were harder to come by. His last two years they went 6-6 and then 8-4 and he was fired. I'd go even further. Ohio State looks to be on track and might win out, but imagine if they lost to us and to Michigan and finish 9-3. Ryan Day won't be fired, but their fans will go crazy and he will at least fill the heat going into next year. There probably isn't a more high pressure job in the country than Ohio State. Florida was sort of similar. Ron Zook replaces Spurrier and is only given 3 years. In those 3 years he goes 8-5 8-5 and 7-4. Not great, but to can a guy in just 3 years when he produced three winning seasons and had great recruiting classes shows it is a pressure cooker job.

On the flip side, I do think firing a coach at Nebraska for going 9-3 is a big risk. Not saying Solich or Pelini didn't deserve to be fired, but Nebraska is a much harder place to win than many people thought when Solich got the axe. When Solich got fired, the era of Tom Osborne winning national titles, conference titles and always being ranked high was still fresh in everybody's mind. Sorry to say Nebraska isn't Ohio State where if you get a good coach, the program will be on autopilot with loads of talent coming in. Nebraska won with Devaney and Osborne because they were great great coaches that fit Nebraska well. Besides rare circumstances, Nebraska doesn't get the top recruiting classes that Ohio State routinely gets. Unfortunately I don't know if we will ever see that again. I was hoping Frost was our best chance, but it isn't looking like that.
On the flip side to the risk of firing a 9-3 coach, not firing a coach with 4 consecutive losing seasons at Nebraska has a ton of risk in it too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT