ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Steve Pederson wanted Mike Sherman?

Pederson was an egotistical nightmare.
It is weird because he was 100% set up to be "the AD" like, the legend AD. Hometown dude comes back to UNL and keeps NU rolling. It was like the script to a movie...

I know there is always this line of thinking that AD's have this list of names of head coaches that they would call if there was an opening but I think that list needs to only have names of coaches that you know you can hire.

You should never fire someone if you don't have a better replacement lined up (in the athletics world)

It is weird because he was 100% set up to be "the AD" like, the legend AD. Hometown dude comes back to UNL and keeps NU rolling. It was like the script to a movie...

I know there is always this line of thinking that AD's have this list of names of head coaches that they would call if there was an opening but I think that list needs to only have names of coaches that you know you can hire.

You should never fire someone if you don't have a better replacement lined up (in the athletics world)
Similar to Frost.

Dave Wannstead from the Dolphins was the guy . He thought he was going to get fired it was all set up and then Miami didn’t pull the trigger and Steve P didn’t have a backup.
It was Zimmer - at least at one point.

Last edited:
Still remember that saga like it was yesterday.

surrendersteve_medium.jpg

Reactions: cavalot and dpnavy
Wanted Sherman. Got BC. BC then goes on to recruit and land Sherman’s son in-law Zac Taylor. Small world

Hopefully one day Zac will be coaching @ Nebraska but doubtful. The guy could coach almost anywhere (NFL or college)

In the article I posted above, "When it was over, Pederson said the truth was the Nebraska job intimidated some coaches."
Truth was a lot of people get intimidated by the prospect of working for a dick. That’s why he had to go out and hire somebody who was used to working for a dick. Billy Callahan-Who must’ve thought if I can work for Al Davis I can work for Steve Perfecthair.

Zac is going to have some big shoes to fill after Rhule wins us a few Natty's.
This is not me being critical of Rhule at all, but I am going to wait to see him coach the Huskers to an 8-4, 9-3 record before I talk about "Natty's". Sherman and Zimmer were obviously not solid options for Pedersen.

Just like when Pedersen ended up with BC and Eichorst having no plan when he fired Bo and the Huskers ended up with Riley, I believe when Seahawk Vice Chairman Bert Kolde advised Jody Allen to fire Pete Carroll it was a mistake. I can't tell you how many Seahawk fans thought they were going to get Harbaugh. Pete brought General Manager John Schnieder all the way to where he is, and I think Schneider has turned out to be a snake. Pretty sure Pete is not going to have him over for cocktails anytime soon. Like him or not it is hard to deny Pete brought a sense of order and success to the team. When he was forced out, he said it was a decision made by "non-football" people within the organization. Now the Hawks may have lucked out with the hire of Mike MacDonald. He could be a good coach, but I predict the Hawks will take a decline now that non-football people have taken over. Teams do not win with bad leadership. Just look how well Bert Kolde has run the other team Paul Allen owned that he is in charge of, The Portland Trailblazers. Pete's departure was clearly a power grab by Kolde. I don't think any of this would have happened if Paul were alive. I think both the Seahawks and Trailblazers are doomed until little sister Jody follows through with the wishes of her brother and sells the teams. However, in Paul's Will there is no set time limit for the sale. It just states that the teams are to be sold and all proceeds go a list of charities named by Paul. Why would Bert Kolde and the rest of senior management group encourage Jody to sell? They know when the teams are sold, they are most likely going to lose their jobs. (Phil Knight badly wants to buy the Trailblazers and even though Bezos has left Seattle for Florida, I think he would buy the Seahawks in a heartbeat.).

Last edited:
None of the guys on peterson's list were good choices, crazy that the thought ay of them would be the right fit.

Reactions: Wasker77
Pedersen Fvcked this program for the better part of a quarter century. Will we ever recover? Remains to be seen.

Pedersen Fvcked this program for the better part of a quarter century. Will we ever recover? Remains to be seen.
To say that you have to believe Frank was going to win 9-10 games in perpetuity. Maybe you can say he screwed us for 5 years. Tom could have rehired Frank. Instead he hired Bo who got to take over a team loaded with NFL talent. Once Tom took over as AD, Pederson was not responsible for anything that followed. Perlman? OK. Frost was really the Osborne/tradition mess.

Reactions: HuskerO
To say that you have to believe Frank was going to win 9-10 games in perpetuity. Maybe you can say he screwed us for 5 years. Tom could have rehired Frank. Instead he hired Bo who got to take over a team loaded with NFL talent. Once Tom took over as AD, Pederson was not responsible for anything that followed. Perlman? OK. Frost was really the Osborne/tradition mess.
Pedersen scrapped the nebraska football tradition when he fired Frank. It, in effect, ended our football program as we all knew it growing up. So yea Pedersen is responsible for the entire downturn. Karma is a bitch and we have been suffering her vengeance for 20+ years. Hopefully Rhuel can end this curse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT