ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Steve Pederson wanted Mike Sherman?

Interesting input, and I agree he should have embraced TO a little more instead of his comment walking out the door.

So here is my question, If you had to pick a coach between Callahan and Riley who would you have hired?

Pedersen scrapped the nebraska football tradition when he fired Frank. It, in effect, ended our football program as we all knew it growing up. So yea Pedersen is responsible for the entire downturn. Karma is a bitch and we have been suffering her vengeance for 20+ years. Hopefully Rhuel can end this curse.
Tom could have restarted the “tradition” complete with Frank and he chose not to. He could have hired Turner and he chose not to. Instead he brought back Bo and his screwed up brother. Blame Pederson for firing Frank and hiring Callahan, but Tom’s choices weighed heavily after that.

Being the head coach at Nebraska is a heavy burden that IMO Bo and so far really nobody since Tom were equipped to handle. We’ll see if Rhule is.

Interesting input, and I agree he should have embraced TO a little more instead of his comment walking out the door.

So here is my question, If you had to pick a coach between Callahan and Riley who would you have hired?
Pederson mistakenly was set on hiring an NFL coach with very little college experience. Eichorst wanted the anti-Bo. Poor criteria. Promoting Beck would have been a better option than Riley or Callahan IMO. (Edit: hypothetical obviously as Beck was an assistant for Bo after Callahan).

Last edited:
I'm not sure coaching Nebraska is hard, Or if you just have to have the right skill set to do it..

Reactions: huskerfan66

Damn you for making me ponder that question.

Tom could have restarted the “tradition” complete with Frank and he chose not to. He could have hired Turner and he chose not to. Instead he brought back Bo and his screwed up brother. Blame Pederson for firing Frank and hiring Callahan, but Tom’s choices weighed heavily after that.

Being the head coach at Nebraska is a heavy burden that IMO Bo and so far really nobody since Tom were equipped to handle. We’ll see if Rhule is.
I think Rhule is equipped to handle it. Whether he wins, we'll see. But he appears to have the work ethic, vision, and demeanor to be successful here.

Tim Beck? You mean a better option than Riley?
Riley but also Callahan looking backwards. Better fit than Callahan. Beck was one of the best organized and hardest working recruiters on Bo’s staff. Hell, I honestly believe he could have kept the whole staff other than Bo and we would have kept winning 8-9 games. The best half of defense I saw that last year was with Papuchis calling the shots when they took Bo to the hospital at halftime.

Beck is a good coach and was under appreciated for the job he did with a maniac screaming non-stop at him in the headset during games. Go back and look at his offenses. It’s going to be interesting to see how he does finally getting a shot at being a college head coach. He’s not a dynamo with the media but the guy can coach. Unfortunately for him he’s been the scapegoat for a couple of struggling head coaches most recently.

Reactions: dpnavy
Damn you for making me ponder that question.
I honestly think IF Eichorst hadn’t made Riley fire Banker we easily would have won 7 that last year if not 8. The “strain” was too much. I mistakenly thought it was okay because it led to Frost🤢🤢🤢

Lots of bad hires. At least some are fun to think about. This just shows Nebraska was ****ed no matter what under pedersen

Lots of bad hires. At least some are fun to think about. This just shows Nebraska was ****ed no matter what under pedersen
It’s a hypothetical scenario. Beck after being on Bo’s staff IMO would have been a better choice than BC was previously. I admit my presentation was confusing. Obviously the timing wasn’t correct for it to have actually happened.

Reactions: TheHuskerFreak
What f'd the program over for 25 years was a simmering background war between 'traditionalists' and those wanting to change course. I have never thought Pederson was wrong for firing Solich. The program was in decline and that 9-3 last season record was a mirage. The schedule that season was pathetically easy. Penn St was the worst they were in a long time. We were embarrassed against good teams three straight years. If that is what you wanted into perpetuity, fine.
The tradition-coalition finally shut up after 5 years of Frost. We finally have a coach that does most everything well (recruiting, player development, assistant hiring, etc) and has no unnecessary baggage.

What f'd the program over for 25 years was a simmering background war between 'traditionalists' and those wanting to change course. I have never thought Pederson was wrong for firing Solich. The program was in decline and that 9-3 last season record was a mirage. The schedule that season was pathetically easy. Penn St was the worst they were in a long time. We were embarrassed against good teams three straight years. If that is what you wanted into perpetuity, fine.
The tradition-coalition finally shut up after 5 years of Frost. We finally have a coach that does most everything well (recruiting, player development, assistant hiring, etc) and has no unnecessary baggage.
The problem wasn't firing Frank Solich even though it was done as poorly as possible. It was hiring him in the first place when much more candidates were no doubt available if a national search had been done..

Reactions: HuskersNC
At some later on, Perlman said they had a big name coach ready to go and he got cold feet and left them scrambling. The way Perlman described it implied the name was bigger than someone like Sherman or Wannstedt and the fans would all be excited. Any guesses who it was? I'm wondering if it was Spurrier.

At some later on, Perlman said they had a big name coach ready to go and he got cold feet and left them scrambling. The way Perlman described it implied the name was bigger than someone like Sherman or Wannstedt and the fans would all be excited. Any guesses who it was? I'm wondering if it was Spurrier.
No. It was always Wannstedt. I knew a week before Frank was fired that Wannstedt had agreed verbally to take the job. Pederson shared that nugget with a few large donors one of whom I knew at the time.

Reactions: dpnavy
No. It was always Wannstedt. I knew a week before Frank was fired that Wannstedt had agreed verbally to take the job. Pederson shared that nugget with a few large donors one of whom I knew at the time.
That's sad that they thought Wannstedt was a big fish.

I never believed Houston Nutt got cold feet. I think he and Broyles just used Nebraska to get Nutt a raise.

That's sad that they thought Wannstedt was a big fish.

I never believed Houston Nutt got cold feet. I think he and Broyles just used Nebraska to get Nutt a raise.
Why would an AD help negotiate a Head Coach going to another program..

Broyles was the one that had to give him a raise to keep him in Fayetteville..

Pedersen scrapped the nebraska football tradition when he fired Frank. It, in effect, ended our football program as we all knew it growing up. So yea Pedersen is responsible for the entire downturn. Karma is a bitch and we have been suffering her vengeance for 20+ years. Hopefully Rhuel can end this curse.
I think you have to separate the firing and the replacement. The terrible job of finding a replacement doesn't mean FS was the answer.

Urban Meyer was there, but thought too lowly to even get a sniff. It just shows SP was not capable of evaluating a coach. Almost everyone he went after was a poor choice. Of course Urban went undefeated at Utah in 2004, made the move to Florida and the rest is history. There were a lot of good hires in 2004, and Wanstat was about the only one SP considered.

You remember things differently (or maybe were told things differently) than what Harvey Perlman remembers, according to this article:

"Perlman also revealed that when Pederson made the move, he already had lined up an NFL head coach for the job, one who 'led us to believe that he was available and willing to do it.'

Perlman would not name the coach, but says 'everyone would have said ‘Wow.' He last week said it was not Dave Wannstedt, the Miami Dolphins coach who was one rumored target at the time, but Perlman declined to entertain other names. Other coaches on NFL sidelines at that time included Jon Gruden, Marty Schottenheimer, Butch Davis, Tony Dungy, Steve Spurrier, Herm Edwards and Bill Cowher.

In the end, the coach got cold feet, contract negotiations dragged on, and the coach decided to stay with his team. 'The error in judgment Steve made was he was so confident he'd get him, he didn't have Plan B,' Perlman said."

So Who Was Steve Pederson's "WOW" NFL Candidate from the 2003 Nebraska Football Coaching Search?

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
You remember things differently (or maybe were told things differently) than what Harvey Perlman remembers, according to this article:

"Perlman also revealed that when Pederson made the move, he already had lined up an NFL head coach for the job, one who 'led us to believe that he was available and willing to do it.'

Perlman would not name the coach, but says 'everyone would have said ‘Wow.' He last week said it was not Dave Wannstedt, the Miami Dolphins coach who was one rumored target at the time, but Perlman declined to entertain other names. Other coaches on NFL sidelines at that time included Jon Gruden, Marty Schottenheimer, Butch Davis, Tony Dungy, Steve Spurrier, Herm Edwards and Bill Cowher.

In the end, the coach got cold feet, contract negotiations dragged on, and the coach decided to stay with his team. 'The error in judgment Steve made was he was so confident he'd get him, he didn't have Plan B,' Perlman said."

So Who Was Steve Pederson's "WOW" NFL Candidate from the 2003 Nebraska Football Coaching Search?
Perlman as an attorney was a skilled prevaricator. There might have been other names but on the Saturday a week before Frank coached his last game it was Wannstedt according to a booster who was in the Pederson inner circle in Lincoln. I don’t doubt that other coaches were approached that we don’t know about though.

Reactions: scarletred
Perlman as an attorney was a skilled prevaricator. There might have been other names but on the Saturday a week before Frank coached his last game it was Wannstedt according to a booster who was in the Pederson inner circle in Lincoln. I don’t doubt that other coaches were approached that we don’t know about though.
So "The Athletic,"article is wrong? It seems pretty well written.
I have no idea what really went on.

The problem was the hire of Callahan. You make a right hire, as Ohio State did with tressel and Georgia did with smart you can fire a guy who won, but didn't win enough. You hire a Callahan or a Riley it sucks

The problem was the hire of Callahan. You make a right hire, as Ohio State did with tressel and Georgia did with smart you can fire a guy who won, but didn't win enough. You hire a Callahan or a Riley it sucks
Where is that statue of Steve Perfecthair that they were going to erect for him?

Going up any day now
What a boob that dude was. Even his number one choice Wannstadt that jilted him wasn’t a very good college coach. He began our 20+ years in the wilderness, Only briefly interrupted by the modestly successful Bo who couldn’t control his own temper. It will be interesting to see if MR has any big quirks.
Besides being a “preacher” to some people on this board, MR seems to have all the pieces.

Where is that statue of Steve Perfecthair that they were going to erect for him?
They're working on a statute of him and Callahan together.
60d7c415a02c6.image.jpg

Yep .then Miami didn’t fire him and Steve P was screwed. At least he thought he had his guy.When Eichorst canned Bo he and Perlman had no clue who to hire. Fast forward to Trev . Trev had his guy from the get go MattR. But also had a backup plan in Fickell if he couldn’t manage the Rhule Carolina situation.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Was Perlman the guy who hired eichorst who fired Bo and hired Riley? The whole sordid Deal, No wonder Perlman is in “who me?” mode
I say, I say, I say, I thought we were gonna get Bill Belichick!!! I don’t know anything about football, Steve told me he was a lock!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT