ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald fired

Some of these allegations are racist and offensive. There are certainly things in here which should never have been said.

Read that again.

Having said that--------------------------

Some of these allegations are absolutely stupid, and are not racist at all. Mad because the majority of the offensive side of the ball is "white"? Dude, YOU'RE the racist! You can't make this stuff up.

Some of these dudes are weak. "Microaggressions"...haha...they were trained well by their "professors".

(I fully support coaches demanding their players cut their hair. Long hair is for women and hippies. Dread locks are ugly. Long hair is ugly. I DO have a problem with a coach telling some players to cut their hair and not making others. I'm an equal opportunity long-hair-hater.)
I take it you didn’t grow up in the 1970’s…

It's because of this that I think we had all the leverage but didn't use it. Tom and Harvey had the trump (no politics) card and pretty much discarded it. We weren't Colorado, aTm or Mizzu. I think TO had such an ax to grind with the Big 12 and Texas that he lost sight of the bigger picture and made an irrational decision. Traded a Texas/OU problem for an Ohio St/Michigan one plus welcomed in on a bunch of other problems with it. Great coach...horrible AD.
Leverage? What leverage? We were in a conference that constantly went against us while the main players were pretty much openly planning to leave. There was zero unity in the conference. Except maybe to go against us.

Back in June 11 2010, a reporter ask Jim Delany how long has he had his eye on Nebraska? Delany “ 21 years”

Devaney himself flirted with the idea of getting Nebraska in the Big 10 conference..

Okay? All this illustrates to me is that 1) of course other people wanted us, we’re an effing blue blood program, and 2) Tom was the only one dumb enough to jump at it. Or maybe I’m reading your post wrong and you’re actually agreeing with me?

• Haha
Reactions: scarletred
Okay? All this illustrates to me is that 1) of course other people wanted us, we’re an effing blue blood program, and 2) Tom was the only one dumb enough to jump at it. Or maybe I’m reading your post wrong and you’re actually agreeing with me?
It’s really all your fault. You knew we had a super secret SEC invite, but failed to inform Tom. I don’t know how you sleep at night.

Leverage? What leverage? We were in a conference that constantly went against us while the main players were pretty much openly planning to leave. There was zero unity in the conference. Except maybe to go against us.

The leverage being that we didn’t have to leave and didn’t have to settle for this crappy conference. Do you remember when we used to laugh at it for the joke that it is before we joined? I do.

See you avoided the part about Devaney.. Believe he was AD at some point in time🤔..

Also you‘re not listing to the part about Big 12 was against us every step of the way from partial qualifiers to where the championship game should be played..

Sorry TO made the right decision, you just can’t admit your wrong..

I see it this way today as well, but not when we joined the conference. Maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t have the vision of conferences going away or the NCAA no longer having a stake in major college football.
NCAA is on life support. Schools are starting to realize that they don't need them (never have really).

Reactions: Laner2 and timnsun
The leverage being that we didn’t have to leave and didn’t have to settle for this crappy conference. Do you remember when we used to laugh at it for the joke that it is before we joined? I do.
Yes. But I also remember people laughing about the Big 8 and saying NU was beating a bunch of cupcakes like Kansas and ISU. So I don't know that that is relevant.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
See you avoided the part about Devaney.. Believe he was AD at some point in time🤔..

Also you‘re not listing to the part about Big 12 was against us every step of the way from partial qualifiers to where the championship game should be played..

I didn’t ignore it. Saying Devany looked into it and decided to pass is just making my point. I said TO was the only one dumb enough to do it. Aka Devaney wasn’t.

How are those partial qualifiers looking for us now? How’s that championship game location looking? Oh wait 😂

And no, TO didn’t make the right decision. It was a horrible one and that has been proven. Still waiting for anyone to list one good thing about the decision. If it’s so clear it was the “right decision” and “I just can’t admit I’m wrong” it seems there would be a litany of positives that have come from it that people could list…let alone just one.

Reactions: headcard

How in the world can you look back now and say this was the right decision? Is our stature better in the CFB world? Is it better within the conference?

I can't see a single thing that is better. No traditional rivals, terrible road trips, a conference that wants us to fail. A conference full of creeps, racists and pedos.

How in the world can you look back now and say this was the right decision? Is our stature better in the CFB world? Is it better within the conference?

I can't see a single thing that is better. No traditional rivals, terrible road trips, a conference that wants us to fail. A conference full of creeps, racists and pedos.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't forget the Longwhorn network. People have such fond memories of the Big 12 and seem to block out all the fighting and dysfunction. For god's sake they couldn't even get buy in on a conference TV network. Funny how schools literally bolted in every direction at the first sign of trouble. But somehow it was the greatest conference ever.

I didn’t ignore it. Saying Devany looked into it and decided to pass is just making my point. I said TO was the only one dumb enough to do it. Aka Devaney wasn’t.

How are those partial qualifiers looking for us now? How’s that championship game location looking? Oh wait 😂

And no, TO didn’t make the right decision. It was a horrible one and that has been proven. Still waiting for anyone to list one good thing about the decision. If it’s so clear it was the “right decision” and “I just can’t admit I’m wrong” it seems there would be a litany of positives that have come from it that people could list…let alone just one.
Well if you’re looking for one good thing it’s the $$$. I’m still waiting for my reimbursement of my season tickets under frosty’s tenure but I suspect I’ll be waiting awhile so the $$$ doesn’t mean sh!t to me.

I will say if there is going to be a 12 team playoff then being stuck in a watered down big 12 probably would have been better than being in the B1G so I will concede my previous arguments and say you’re probably correct. A future big 12 team will certainly make the playoffs if indeed 12 teams are in it.

Don't forget the Longwhorn network. People have such fond memories of the Big 12 and seem to block out all the fighting and dysfunction. For god's sake they couldn't even get buy in on a conference TV network. Funny how schools literally bolted in every direction at the first sign of trouble. But somehow it was the greatest conference ever.
this is a great example of how little vision TO (and other school reps in the Big 12 outside of UT) had

the opportunity was there to be a pioneer in the conference-specific network space and they instead pissed it away to serve their own selfish interests

Kong gonna Kong
Tongue Goat GIF

Ain’t that the truth.

angry-poop.gif

Too say that the big 12 wanted us to succeed is just as absurd..

It was about the stability ($$$$) which at the time no one knew how stabile the conference was going to be, especially when texas was talking about moving to the Pac12 conference..

We make way more money than we would ever had made in the Big 12 conference ..

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78

Fact is Devaney wanted Nebraska in the Big 10 but he didn’t get the invite Nebraska had with Osborne and Pearlman and the regents unanimously agreed to join..

It's not the conference's fault that we made really bad hires
People can't seem to understand that. All they remember is driving to Manhattan in the 90's to kick the shit out of KSU. Now they have fond memories of the greatest road trip ever. Despite the stadium and town being a shithole.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I will say I think it’s easy to say, “We are Nebraska. No matter what happens, we’ll be fine.” That’s a terrible business model.

Complain all you want about the decision that was made, but I do not think that not making a decision would have been right either.

Again, history will tell us if it was the right or wrong decision, but I can’t fault the powers that be who made the decision. Standing pat wasn’t the right decision either.

As Kong has said, maybe exploring a Husker network would have been a better decision, but at the time, trying to be objective here, it was a no-brainer.

Reactions: scarletred
It's because of this that I think we had all the leverage but didn't use it. Tom and Harvey had the trump (no politics) card and pretty much discarded it. We weren't Colorado, aTm or Mizzu. I think TO had such an ax to grind with the Big 12 and Texas that he lost sight of the bigger picture and made an irrational decision. Traded a Texas/OU problem for an Ohio St/Michigan one plus welcomed in on a bunch of other problems with it. Great coach...horrible AD.
What’s our Mich/OSU problem other than they are better right now? We were placed in the weakest division. What have those 2 done to hinder our ability?

Reactions: bshirt73
I was roasted years ago on this board for saying that Fitz was overrated. NW should have beaten us MORE but they rarely stuck with what was working in their gameplan. Having said that, he was certainly good for NW and I dunno who else they could have gotten. He was good at team building.
I don't know if these allegations are true or not. If they are true, he needs to go. This is not normal "hazing" like stuffing freshmen in trash cans. Dudes pretending to gang butt rape other dudes? What the hell? Who are these people? Never once did it ever cross my mind, "Hey, you know what sounds fun? Let's all act like we're humping a dude and then have people touch our balls when they don't want to lol." What a bunch of sickos.

Big ten sucks. Sucks really bad. It's a lame, perverted, elitist and smug conference that's incredibly overrated. The over-the-top woke liberalism does not align with Nebraska values. The football is ok, I enjoy watching some of the teams, some I don't. It's easy to say now that it was a wrong decision joining. It is, however, revisionist hindsight.
Do I wish we were still in the big 12? Yes. But I get why the decision was made when it was.

I hope BIG adds Kansas.
I hope they add Kansas too.

You can’t go to a bar in Florida, let’s say, and watch NU vs illinois at noon on BTN unless they buy the network and/or out of market cable package (PPV)
I would watch it on my phone, tablet, computer. But that bar likely has the Big 10 network anyway. You are majorly trying to hard when you are clearly wrong. Trying to say that the BIG 12 tv package was as good as the Big 10 is just stupid. You clearly never tried to get a Big 12 game outside of Nebraska outside your house.

Devaney, at least spell his name correctly if you want to be taken seriously on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT