ADVERTISEMENT

Parker G takes a stab at a 2-deep for the offense

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
WR listed are Toure, Martin OR Manning; Falck OR Betts; Brown and Nixon in the slot.
OL - has Hixson backing up Cam at Center, with Banks moving inside to RG. Nouili backs up Piper. Starting OL would be 6-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-7 and 6-9 left to right. And all will be around for awhile.

The offensive line still needs to prove themselves, but they sure look promising and have some depth.
The other 4 can be All-American 1st round draft picks but if #51 still is on the struggle bus with high snaps this offense will continue to disappoint, IMO.
GBR!

The other 4 can be All-American 1st round draft picks but if #51 still is on the struggle bus with high snaps this offense will continue to disappoint, IMO.
GBR!
Yes, that goes towards proving themselves.

They are also quite young and will have to prove themselves handling different blitz' and stunts. That gave us issues in 2020 also.

Reactions: bshirt73
GBR!
It would be nice if there was a viable option behind Jurgens, just in case the high snaps start up again this season.

Reactions: bshirt73
GBR!
That problem needs to be kept on a short leash.

GBR!
I fearlessly (OK, still a little fear) predict that you will see very few of those bad snaps this coming season. A former NU center pointed out to Coach Frost that Jurgens was being taught to snap like a long snapper. That certain ex-NU center went to Lincoln, worked with Jurgens, moved the ball to the proper place to snap to a QB (not so far in front of the center than if snapping for a kick) and fixed the issues. Made me wonder about the OL coaching. Regardless, look for vast improvement by #51 this coming season.
On another note, did anyone see the W-H quotes today from last year's OL about how they have improved for the draft since the season ended? What the F is going on?

I fearlessly (OK, still a little fear) predict that you will see very few of those bad snaps this coming season. A former NU center pointed out to Coach Frost that Jurgens was being taught to snap like a long snapper. That certain ex-NU center went to Lincoln, worked with Jurgens, moved the ball to the proper place to snap to a QB (not so far in front of the center than if snapping for a kick) and fixed the issues. Made me wonder about the OL coaching. Regardless, look for vast improvement by #51 this coming season.
On another note, did anyone see the W-H quotes today from last year's OL about how they have improved for the draft since the season ended? What the F is going on?
I saw that and it made me think about the D line last year getting ready for the draft same kind of discussions, everybody dropped weight for the draft and worked on flexibility and/or leverage. WTF are we doing in S&C???

Bingo. I believe it was Hoskinson and I believe he talked about it on Carriker Chronicles? Can't remember but I listened to it and it super interesting to listen to. Basically like the football being an inch or two off on the ground from where it's supposed to be can mess it all up, crazy. Sometimes you just need fresh eyes for those kinds of things.

Those comments are slightly deceiving. Farniok dropped like 12 lbs, which is basically like losing a mass gainer shake a day for a few months and a little extra running and those LBs will drop right on off. Logically, if he's a little lighter, he can be looked at for any position on the line then and be called "athletic". Doesn't have anything to do with what we're doing in Lincoln.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I saw that and it made me think about the D line last year getting ready for the draft same kind of discussions, everybody dropped weight for the draft and worked on flexibility and/or leverage. WTF are we doing in S&C???
Same concept. Be a little lighter, a little more versatile until you're position specific in the NFL. Darrion Daniels specifically, playing NT in the Big Ten in a 3-4, needs to be massive. If you're just trying to make a roster spot in the NFL, slim up just a tad and broaden your horizons in case they want you somewhere else. Figure out that spot, and then adjust your body accordingly once you lock that spot down.

Reactions: Reditus

Definitely not S&C for team speed. Saban is smart, he hired away the S&C team from Indiana, leaders in team speed S&C development.

On another note, did anyone see the W-H quotes today from last year's OL about how they have improved for the draft since the season ended?

I think this could be the result of multiple things. I don't know a dang thing, I'm just throwing mud at the wall.

1) Could be they are training harder because the short term money motivation is&was stronger than their previous motivation. Also it's short term goal so easier to meet and keep results. Like cramming for a test.
2) They are training to run certain tests vs overall training for football. I tend to think this is most likely. Learning bench technique and doing lots of benches. Working on 40's starts and running form. Working on starts to cone drills and getting around the cones. All specific training that can be improved with practice right?
3) It could be different training is a shock to the body and results in making gains.

I think this could be the result of multiple things. I don't know a dang thing, I'm just throwing mud at the wall.

1) Could be they are training harder because the short term money motivation is&was stronger than their previous motivation. Also it's short term goal so easier to meet and keep results. Like cramming for a test.
2) They are training to run certain tests vs overall training for football. I tend to think this is most likely. Learning bench technique and doing lots of benches. Working on 40's starts and running form. Working on starts to cone drills and getting around the cones. All specific training that can be improved with practice right?
3) It could be different training is a shock to the body and results in making gains.

The NFL is a different animal for sure, Our own S/C team could be guiding them on this as well as to what's expected... I'm not concerned with this

Being draft ready and game-ready are not the same thing. You're trying to put up numbers at a pro day. They're not going to bring Akiem Hicks to Lincoln and be like "Move him." They're measuring bench reps, agility runs, broad jumps.

They say that same shit every year about making tons of progress and being ready for the draft. What else are they gonna say? "I for sure have gotten worse, no teams should sign me. I'm fatter and slower than ever."

Some of you guys just live and die on every little quote, good God.

Honestly at this point I ONLY care now if the team can win games. If they don't win games, they can rack up all the individual complements, honors or whatever they want and it won't mean a thing to me if the overall team is a loser yet again.

Reactions: jeans1515
Thomas Fidone should be getting touches in every game. His insane metrics are so worth getting him designed plays early.
That said, I expect a walk-on to pass him up somehow.

Reactions: arf_man
Thomas Fidone should be getting touches in every game. His insane metrics are so worth getting him designed plays early.

Carnie has even better metrics, it's reported by some , he recently ran a 4.49 electronic time 40 yard dash at 6'5 230lbs with a shoulder recently surgically repaired.

• Haha
Reactions: Da98734 and arf_man
I will be surprised if Banks starts at RG.
I have to imagine Noulii makes a strong push for a starting spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hixson play a swing G-C-G spot where he's providing a breather for guys at various spots if he doesn't win a starting spot.

Should be some of the hottest competition in a long time on the OL.

I expect Thomas Fidone to be football ready like Robinson was as some kids are just more mentally ready to play early than others and he appears like that type of kid. I truly expect somewhere in the 40-50 catch range like Robinson and would have predicted higher given his size but I just think there will be to many other targets

Only borderline Big Ten athlete that should get any playing time when it matters is Faulk and he seemed to catch the balls thrown his way and show the ability to do something with it so Ok with him as part of rotation.

I personally believe we are going to see the offense we all originally hoped for in 2021 and 2022 from a moving the ball up and down the field perspective. Somehow find a way to keep Martinez turnovers under one a game like 2018, continue the trend on defense and don't field the worst D1 special teams return and coverage units and 2021 might be fun.

I personally believe we are going to see the offense we all originally hoped for in 2021 and 2022 from a moving the ball up and down the field perspective. Somehow find a way to keep Martinez turnovers under one a game like 2018, continue the trend on defense and don't field the worst D1 special teams return and coverage units and 2021 might be fun.

While I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm I would recommend diluting your Koolaid concentration with a little water so as not to be let too down this year when it comes to the offense... I hope you're right and I'm completely wrong

That’s the kind of feedback I’m looking for. Who do you think is in position for that spot?
To me it's Nouili. Or maybe he starts at LG which was his starting spot at CSU, and they move Piper to RG. Strikes me as an odd prediction that a dude would start at RG and also be your backup RT.

Don't be shocked if Banks passes Benhart at RT. Or if he's crazy good for some reason he could win the LT job and they put Corcoran at RT. I have a hard time seeing a kid that young be so good at multiple OL spots that they just gotta start him SOMEWHERE. I think they have enough good guards now that you want your tackles playing tackle.

Talking about an OL potentially made entirely of underclassmen starters with the exception being Jurgens in his 3rd year. Hoo boy...mixed feelings.

I expect the QB situation to stay up in the air until game week in September. That is, if they learned anything from how Gebbia bailed on them. In fact unless Smothers was for some reason shit-the-bed awful in camp, I'd tell them they're both going to play in the opener and I'd play them both.

You know what you have in Martinez at this point. Smothers is the unknown. Ideally you're hoping Smothers takes the job and you keep Martinez around as a veteran backup. NU absolutely cannot afford to have Martinez or Smothers transfer this year.

You know what you have in Martinez at this point. Smothers is the unknown. Ideally you're hoping Smothers takes the job and you keep Martinez around as a veteran backup. NU absolutely cannot afford to have Martinez or Smothers transfer this year.
I think we could recover more if Martinez were to transfer than if Smothers did. I say this because, there are going to be a few QBs in the portal in the spring. No one is gonna want to transfer in and sit behind a 3 year starter.

I think we could recover more if Martinez were to transfer than if Smothers did. I say this because, there are going to be a few QBs in the portal in the spring. No one is gonna want to transfer in and sit behind a 3 year starter.
Logan Smothers is a kid with four years playing eligibility left. Martinez at probably gone at the end of this year. Neither QB will be transferring because of the other.

While I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm I would recommend diluting your Koolaid concentration with a little water so as not to be let too down this year when it comes to the offense... I hope you're right and I'm completely wrong

I don't think it is Kool Aid drinking at all to expect this offense to move the ball at least as well as 2018 where they were second in conference in YPG.

To me this looks like the opposite of 2019. Folks got all excited because Martinez had good Freshman year and Frost is up and coming coach so car is all shiny. Pull the hood up and see 3 of best four players graduating on offense. Sr. Farmer and Foster being replaced by a So. walk-on and and a physically talented RS Freshman athlete who happened to be about 270 dripping wet and was hurt all offseason to boot. Absolutely no suitable replacement for Morgan or Ozigbo to start the season given prior recruiting issues. Frost still had some shine so many assumed he would just waive his coaching wand but it doesn't work that way. South Alabama game showed just how much drop off there was in those areas to the next player form 2018 to 2019. It also showed that Martinez was type of QB that needs talent around him to be "Good" and not a carry the team type guy. This cuts both ways though, if you surround him with some Talent again.

Now move to 2020. The shine gone from Frost and Martinez in Husker nation so the car kind of looks crappy on outside but lift the hood and see 4 of 5 returning starters from an o-line that came together against Rutgers with Corcoran starting and Jurgens and Piper playing to there physical potential. Start with those three, add Benhardt and then have twice the scholarship players in 2021 to find your fifth starter and swing players for guard/tackle. Before you say that was just Rutgers, well it was just South Alabama as well. To put up 630 yards on any big ten team means something at LOS considering where that line was a year and a half earlier or even a month earlier against Illinios who was no better defensively than Rutgers.

Now look at WR/TE and RB. 3 of 4 returning starters at WR/TE (Allen, Faulk & Martin) who were at least competitive in Big Ten which means your floor is a below big ten average but not Warner poor. While I believe that is a nice base there is not a Stanley Morgan or Ozigbo in that group so expecting it would be drinking the Kool Aid. What changes the equation is the 13 5.7 or better RB/WR/TE rivals rated prospects competing for spots including two top 100 guys and the nbr 1 Juco WR from 2020. Just for good measure lets throw in FCS all American transfer that many think will beat out 1 of returing starters. If you have 3-6 of those guys and no top 100 like almost every other Big Ten West school the odds of any one of those schools having all conference type player emerge would be fairly low and probably Kool-Aid drinking. If you have 13 of them, including the 3 elite recruits and and FCS all American transfer the odds are actually pretty high a couple of those dudes can flat out play to supplement your base. Throw in a Stanley Morgan type player with that group and its a whole different animal.

I believe the line will be better than 2018 based on what i have seen from players we have. I believe they will supplement the returning skill position players with a couple Ozigbo/Morgan types given the number of high level prospects, having a spring/fall for all of them develop and most of them going into at least second year in program. No different than it was reasonable to be highly concerned in 2019 its completely reasonable to feel real good about fielding a top 4 Big Ten offense with this coaches past performance and the football ready talent he has at his disposal for 2021.

I still believe this team is .500 or within 1 game of that until they prove otherwise. Using the Rutgers game as a measuring stick is as shortsighted as using the Illinois game as a measuring stick for futility.

The fact that we are relying on transfers and walk ons at RB and WR, three plus years in, is a concern. Plus there is still the we are young excuse on the Oline is potentially problematic.

I still believe this team is .500 or within 1 game of that until they prove otherwise. Using the Rutgers game as a measuring stick is as shortsighted as using the Illinois game as a measuring stick for futility.

The fact that we are relying on transfers and walk ons at RB and WR, three plus years in, is a concern. Plus there is still the we are young excuse on the Oline is potentially problematic.
They will need a hell of a year just to be average with that schedule.

You're exactly right, we're this many years in and still can't give an easy answer to this question:

Who is the player on NU's offense that keeps a defensive coordinator up at night?

We're still answering in terms of "Well hopefully it can turn into this guy if he has a breakout year..."

They need two RBs to be better than what we've seen of them so far to have ANY running game. Likewise at WR. Likewise at QB. Yikes.

My only addition to that is... What is Nebraskas Offensive Identity? we were led to believe that it was to be this High Speed Oregon/UCF style mixed with Old School Husker Power... So far I've yet to see this in action... glimpses, yes but complete games have yet to be seen. Next years schedule is not a kind one for a group riddled with transfers/underclassmen and inexperience to the system overall.

I totally get what @poundth3rock is saying and man do I wish he's right and that I'm severely wrong... I just can't get on that train yet until I see otherwise. At this point I just want to see marked improvement that shows we're headed the right direction on that side of the ball. I think our defense will keep us in games and may even win us a couple and that can/will help an offense to operate more freely while learning.

I'm optimistic because Lubbick gets to actually go through a spring season with these guys. I think we have the talent, they just need more reps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT