ILB: Luke Reimer, Chris Kolarevic, Eva Magua
ILB: Nick Henrich, Will Honas, Mikai Gbayor
OLB: Pheldarius Payne, Wynden Ho'ohuli, Jimari Butler
CB: Braxton Clark, Tamon Lynum, Jaeden Gould
CB: Quinton Newsome, Marques Buford, Tyreke Johnson
S: Myles Farmer, DaShon Singleton, Jalil Martin
S: Noa Pola-Gates, Isaac Gifford, Koby Bretz

Biggest strengths: DE, ILB, WR
Biggest weaknesses: DT, Safety, CB depth (1 injury away from being f*cked)
Biggest unknowns: QB, OL (lots of guys shifting positions, Teddy's health)

This is assuming a few guys hang it up (B. Bando, D. Thomas) which has been rumored. There should be a couple more portal guys. Without any additions, looks like a 6-7 win team to me. Add a couple difference makers and it could easily be 8-9, but I don't see much All-B1G talent there right now unless some young guys really surprise, or Thompson is a godsend. Losing Jurgens and D Daniels really hurt.

Last edited:
Our D going into next year really makes me nervous, not gonna lie. I think the pieces we lost are going to hurt ALOT.
both the new safeties have higher upside than the ones we lost

didn't see nickel listed, but Gifford looked more than up to the task of replacing JoJo

Reactions: 9and4
Our D going into next year really makes me nervous, not gonna lie. I think the pieces we lost are going to hurt ALOT.
If we run more 4-3, you'll see more of Robinson and Rogers in the middle, with Tannor, Nelson with their hands on the ground. Less reliance on a NT stepping up to play at a Big Ten level.

I thought Oliver Martin was no longer listed. I'd love to be wrong, but perhaps he's going to try a fourth college.
I do hope the injured players like Teddy P and Gabe Ervin are ready to go.
Not sure NPG has shown anything yet at NU. I'd guess Gifford ahead of him at the start of spring.

Reactions: leodisflowers
both the new safeties have higher upside than the ones we lost

didn't see nickel listed, but Gifford looked more than up to the task of replacing JoJo
I'd say that we could see this defense more often than a 3-4 look:
DE: Tannor
DT: Robinson
DT: Rogers
DE: Nelson
LB: Henrich
LB: Reimer
N: Gifford
CB: Clark
CB: Newsome
S: Farmer
S: Pola-Gates

True, but losing Domann, CTB, and Daniels are my big ones.
Domann is a great player, no doubt. Gifford looked the part replacing him, though, and has NFL pedigree.

replacing Daniels means finding ~25 snaps/game from someone else.

I'm not worried about the secondary at all. Fisher's our best coach, and those guys all looked like they could play.

I thought Oliver Martin was no longer listed. I'd love to be wrong, but perhaps he's going to try a fourth college.
I do hope the injured players like Teddy P and Gabe Ervin are ready to go.
Not sure NPG has shown anything yet at NU. I'd guess Gifford ahead of him at the start of spring.
I, too, hope you're wrong about Martin

Reactions: BleedRed78
Those safeties are going to be rough.
Farmer had more picks in one game than Dismuke had his entire career (did not fact-check this statement).

both our hard-hitting safeties couldn't run or cover a lick. they shouldn't be hard to replace, and the new guys shouldn't need to be counted on nearly as much in the run game.

QB: (Casey Thompson), Logan Smothers, Heinrich Haarberg
RB: Gabe Ervin, Jacquez Yant, Rahmir Johnson
WR: Omar Manning, Zavier Betts, Wyatt Liewer
WR: O. Martin, W. Garcia-Castenada, K. Grimes
Slot: Alante Brown, Will Nixon
TE: Travis Vokolek, Thomas Fidone, Chancellor Brewington
LT: Teddy Prochazka, Brant Banks
LG: Nouri Noulli, Henry Lutovsky
C: Trent Hixson, Ethan Piper
RG: Hunter Anthony, Alex Conn
RT: Turner Corcoran, Bryce Benhart, Ezra Miller

DE: Ty Robinson, Ru'Quan Buckley, Jailen Weaver
DT: Jordon Riley, Nash Hutmacher, Marquis Black
DE: Casey Rogers, Mosai Newsome, Tate Wildeman
DE/OLB: Garrett Nelson, Caleb Tannor, Damian Jackson
OLB: Pheldarius Payne, Wynden Ho'ohuli, Jimari Butler
CB: Quinton Newsome, Marques Buford, Tyreke Johnson
S: Myles Farmer, DaShon Singleton, Jalil Martin

Biggest strengths: DE, ILB, WR
Biggest weaknesses: DT, Safety, CB depth (1 injury away from being f*cked)
Biggest unknowns: QB, OL (lots of guys shifting positions, Teddy's health)

This is assuming a few guys hang it up (B. Bando, D. Thomas) which has been rumored. There should be a couple more portal guys. Without any additions, looks like a 6-7 win team to me. Add a couple difference makers and it could easily be 8-9, but I don't see much All-B1G talent there right now unless some young guys really surprise, or Thompson is a godsend. Losing Jurgens and D Daniels really hurt.
That's a good list. A few comments in caps and parentheses from me.

RB: Gabe Ervin, Jacquez Yant, Rahmir Johnson (THIS ORDER IS FLUID. NEW RB COACH WILL INFLUENCE. I HOPE YANT IMPROVES AND BREAKS OUT. BIG AND EXPLOSIVE.)
WR: Omar Manning, Zavier Betts, Wyatt Liewer (BEST PLAYERS ON THE FIELD PLEASE. IN MICKEY WE TRUST)
WR: O. Martin, W. Garcia-Castenada, K. Grimes (BASED ON WHERE MARTIN FINISHED '21 NOT SURE)
Slot: Alante Brown, Will Nixon (THIS SEEMS SOLID)
C: Trent Hixson, Ethan Piper (RUMORS ABOUT CORCORAN HERE. BUT WHO PLAYS OT THEN?)
RT: Turner Corcoran, Bryce Benhart, Ezra Miller (I WORRY ABOUT THIS TACKLE SPOT)

DE: Ty Robinson, Ru'Quan Buckley, Jailen Weaver (I LIKE THE FRONT IF HEALTHY. DANIELS WILL BE MISSED)
DE/OLB: Garrett Nelson, Caleb Tannor, Damian Jackson (I LIKE NELSON AND TANNOR ON FIELD TOGETHER OPPOSITE. I'D ADD GUNNERSON TO THE MIX SOMEWHERE.)
OLB: Pheldarius Payne, Wynden Ho'ohuli, Jimari Butler (WHO'S THE NEXT JO JO? GIFFORD? BRETZ? OTHER?)
CB: Quinton Newsome, Marques Buford, Tyreke Johnson (THEY'RE HIGH ON BUFORD AT CB OR S)
S: Myles Farmer, DaShon Singleton, Jalil Martin (FARMER STRUGGLED IN '21. NEEDS TO GET MUCH BETTER OR SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE THE SPOT)

Farmer had more picks in one game than Dismuke had his entire career (did not fact-check this statement).

both our hard-hitting safeties couldn't run or cover a lick. they shouldn't be hard to replace, and the new guys shouldn't need to be counted on nearly as much in the run game.
Yeah I agree. I'm not as worried about the safety position and I think with Dismuke moving on, we get more athletic there. He wasn't bad, just never made that many plays. Deontai is a loss, but I trust in Coach Fish. I think he will have someone ready.

Not directed at you, just adding another point, is Daniels for sure gone? Our D could be pretty salty if for some reason he came back.

Yeah I agree. I'm not as worried about the safety position and I think with Dismuke moving on, we get more athletic there. He wasn't bad, just never made that many plays. Deontai is a loss, but I trust in Coach Fish. I think he will have someone ready.

Not directed at you, just adding another point, is Daniels for sure gone? Our D could be pretty salty if for some reason he came back.

Believe Daniels declared for the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers

You needed to watch Farmer closer when he played then.

Talk to me next year at this time…agree to disagree for now.

On the D, we have every reason to be concerned. Chins has morphed his D into what we saw last year with a bunch of very experienced players. Some of those key players are gone. Here are some of my questions.

1. What kind of D are we really running? It looked more like a 4-2-5 to me. 4 down linemen with Nelson having his hand on the ground and maybe or maybe not a true nose guard. There are 2 primary LB's, and they appear to play both inside and out especially in coverage which bugs me when we leave the middle of the field wide open. The 5 are 2 corners, 2 safeties and a hybrid who was Doman. Doman was not a true LB as he came off the corner and was often in coverage but you didn't see him playing as much straight up LB.

2. Where or where is a pass rush going to come from? I can't believe Payne is listed as a starter. I would not have had a problem if he stayed in the Portal. He had 2.5 sacks if I am not mistaken. If we can't replace that, we are in trouble. I didn't watch a lot of bowl games but it was amazing to me how often teams had the O in obvious passing downs and managed to find ways to get to the QB. Obviously Georgia and Bama can get guys off the edge in a heartbeat. The physicality and athletic ability of those two teams is so far ahead of us it isn't even on the same page.

3. When will our D become the turnover machine is was billed to be? I think with the changes to what Chins is running, it is more prevent than attack. I want to see our LB's meet a RB in the hole straight up and lay the wood on someone. They don't do that often and are making plays from the side, behind and often trailing.

4. Chins asks a lot of safeties. He benefited from all the experience there even though they played so-so at times and well at others. There may be a simplification of the D to allow for two new safeties and Gates really needs to step up. He is light so it will be interesting to see how he holds up. When was the last time we had the two starting safeties making through an entire season?

For the O, the key for me will be the changes in the O line that Raiola will make. He has to fully understand the pressure that is present and the OL is the key to all of this. He comes in with not having recruited a single person on that line so playing favorites should not be a problem (I never thought it was but some did).

1. Obviously, find a center who can read the D, make line calls and lead the OL. I have zero clue who that might me. My guess would be someone who has developed some relationships and been there for a while. The coaches have to have supreme trust in this person as the leader of the OL.

2. We will probably be OK at guard as it seems we have some ability and returning starters there but it could be shook up as well. No one is outstanding there, at least under the former coaching.

3. Tackle is the big question. I am of the opinion that the talent is likely there, there just needs to be some better coaching and preparation. I could be wrong on this as it was such a disaster the last three years, it was hard to tell. I am trying to be optimistic the talent is there, but the coaching was not. Overall, it may not be until a few games in when we see this line come together.

4. Really, really need to get a running game going. I am not sure if we have the RB's in place to do that because the OL has been so bad, it is hard to tell.

My opinion only.

Last edited:
If we run more 4-3, you'll see more of Robinson and Rogers in the middle, with Tannor, Nelson with their hands on the ground. Less reliance on a NT stepping up to play at a Big Ten level.
This is what I would predict..who takes that 4-3 OLB spot? I don’t believe Gifford is on the field like jojo was.

That was my first thought when reviewing the OP. Safeties that can't tackle in this conference ain't going to work.
Our defense will take a major strop back. We’re losing NFL caliber and only replacing with 1 or 2 that might sniff the NFL.

I still can’t figure out our skill position. We have to have the worst in the BIG. LOL that WR is a position of strength. Good lord our standards have fallen to Minn level.

• Haha
I am worried about our defensive tackles and the fact that we still lack a difference maker as a pass rusher. Our defense last year was good, but not great, and the loss of some of those players is going to be felt. I see our defense taking a step back next year. We have not recruited the DT position all that well the past two years and the coach who was responsible for that is gone and I am happy about that. You can be a great position coach but in college football you better also be able to recruit. Our offense had better be much improved next year because the defense does not have the horses up front to really be consistent run stoppers or pass rushers. But with all of the new offensive coaches, and with great uncertainty at the QB position, and with no real difference makers on the offensive line, I see another difficult season next year. Hopefully, with the easier schedule and with improved special teams play (Busch??) we can scratch out six wins. Maybe a lot of those one score losses will become one score victories. Here is hoping. But I for one am not going to be drinking any kool aid. Stumble out of the gate against Northwestern, like we did against Illinois this year, and we will be in for another frustrating season. Win that game and we should be 3-0 going into the Oklahoma game. We MUST start out 3-0. Lose to Northwestern and the old narrative of failure will start to play in the player's heads.

I am worried about our defensive tackles and the fact that we still lack a difference maker as a pass rusher. Our defense last year was good, but not great, and the loss of some of those players is going to be felt. I see our defense taking a step back next year. We have not recruited the DT position all that well the past two years and the coach who was responsible for that is gone and I am happy about that. You can be a great position coach but in college football you better also be able to recruit. Our offense had better be much improved next year because the defense does not have the horses up front to really be consistent run stoppers or pass rushers. But with all of the new offensive coaches, and with great uncertainty at the QB position, and with no real difference makers on the offensive line, I see another difficult season next year. Hopefully, with the easier schedule and with improved special teams play (Busch??) we can scratch out six wins. Maybe a lot of those one score losses will become one score victories. Here is hoping. But I for one am not going to be drinking any kool aid. Stumble out of the gate against Northwestern, like we did against Illinois this year, and we will be in for another frustrating season. Win that game and we should be 3-0 going into the Oklahoma game. We MUST start out 3-0. Lose to Northwestern and the old narrative of failure will start to play in the player's heads.
Lose to Northwestern and we can start taking about who should be the next head coach again.

Sadly, yes. Northwestern was awful this year. I hope they are awful next year too.
They should be. They really are bringing nothing in and have lost a lot of good players. Should be another beat down and if for some reason we lose, they should leave Frost in Ireland or wherever that game is going to be played.

That's a good list. A few comments in caps and parentheses from me.

RB: Gabe Ervin, Jacquez Yant, Rahmir Johnson (THIS ORDER IS FLUID. NEW RB COACH WILL INFLUENCE. I HOPE YANT IMPROVES AND BREAKS OUT. BIG AND EXPLOSIVE.)
WR: Omar Manning, Zavier Betts, Wyatt Liewer (BEST PLAYERS ON THE FIELD PLEASE. IN MICKEY WE TRUST)
WR: O. Martin, W. Garcia-Castenada, K. Grimes (BASED ON WHERE MARTIN FINISHED '21 NOT SURE)
Slot: Alante Brown, Will Nixon (THIS SEEMS SOLID)
C: Trent Hixson, Ethan Piper (RUMORS ABOUT CORCORAN HERE. BUT WHO PLAYS OT THEN?)
RT: Turner Corcoran, Bryce Benhart, Ezra Miller (I WORRY ABOUT THIS TACKLE SPOT)

DE: Ty Robinson, Ru'Quan Buckley, Jailen Weaver (I LIKE THE FRONT IF HEALTHY. DANIELS WILL BE MISSED)
DE/OLB: Garrett Nelson, Caleb Tannor, Damian Jackson (I LIKE NELSON AND TANNOR ON FIELD TOGETHER OPPOSITE. I'D ADD GUNNERSON TO THE MIX SOMEWHERE.)
OLB: Pheldarius Payne, Wynden Ho'ohuli, Jimari Butler (WHO'S THE NEXT JO JO? GIFFORD? BRETZ? OTHER?)
CB: Quinton Newsome, Marques Buford, Tyreke Johnson (THEY'RE HIGH ON BUFORD AT CB OR S)
S: Myles Farmer, DaShon Singleton, Jalil Martin (FARMER STRUGGLED IN '21. NEEDS TO GET MUCH BETTER OR SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE THE SPOT)
Agree on how Martin finished, Garcia-Castenada had some serious production at New Mexico State I see him jumping Martin. New WR coach means the slate is clean and compete.

Nothing I hated more than chicken legs Tannor with his hand in the dirt...he needs to be a stand up and move around and use his speed.

Reactions: kakdawg
So looking at all of this from an overall perspective, is it even reasonable to expect this team to come out firing on all cylinders next fall? A new offense, at least as far as we can tell, certainly the OL will have significant changes in not only technique but likely terminology and blocking assignments. RB coming off injury and a new QB very likely and inexperienced perhaps.

I am not quite as down on D as Jeans is but I was not overly impressed either. I could go into why and what I saw but everyone has their own minds made up. The fact is it was a good D, not great and the amount of snaps of experience had to be way up there and now a lot of that is gone. No matter what Chins does, he can't seem to produce a pass rush and there are extended periods of ineptitude - 1st half against Minny, Wisky running right through us that indicate we are not as good consistently at best.

Overall, this coaching staff has to demonstrate the ability to develop players and coach to a high standard and certainly ST is a place to start. I have never been one to think putting expectations on someone else is the key to their improvement but sheesh, wouldn't you think there is plenty of heat in that kitchen going into next year? The desire and pressure for pretty immediate success seems imperative to me but what do I know. You can't keep using we are young and inexperienced, that one is worn out, patience is very thin all around this program I would think.

So looking at all of this from an overall perspective, is it even reasonable to expect this team to come out firing on all cylinders next fall? A new offense, at least as far as we can tell, certainly the OL will have significant changes in not only technique but likely terminology and blocking assignments. RB coming off injury and a new QB very likely and inexperienced perhaps.

I am not quite as down on D as Jeans is but I was not overly impressed either. I could go into why and what I saw but everyone has their own minds made up. The fact is it was a good D, not great and the amount of snaps of experience had to be way up there and now a lot of that is gone. No matter what Chins does, he can't seem to produce a pass rush and there are extended periods of ineptitude - 1st half against Minny, Wisky running right through us that indicate we are not as good consistently at best.

Overall, this coaching staff has to demonstrate the ability to develop players and coach to a high standard and certainly ST is a place to start. I have never been one to think putting expectations on someone else is the key to their improvement but sheesh, wouldn't you think there is plenty of heat in that kitchen going into next year? The desire and pressure for pretty immediate success seems imperative to me but what do I know. You can't keep using we are young and inexperienced, that one is worn out, patience is very thin all around this program I would think.
This is all correct I think. I was hesitant to be overly critical of the defense from this past year because they really were better and they did play solid football against some good offenses (Michigan, OSU, OU etc...). Still, the weaknesses you described are real. What in the hell was that first half against Minnesota?? What in the hell was that long, long drive by Illinois to start the third quarter that essentially decided the game? Where was our run defense against Wisconsin? And there were many other times, too numerous to mention where the defense let very mediocre teams like Purdue control the clock on us. The fact is, even though we had a better scoring defense last year, teams were very, very rarely forced out after only three downs. Usually, even if a team started on their 25 they would almost always get at least two first downs before the drive stalled. That meant that for the entire season our offense was almost always starting from around our own 20 or 25. Our defense rarely gave our offense a short field.

This is all correct I think. I was hesitant to be overly critical of the defense from this past year because they really were better and they did play solid football against some good offenses (Michigan, OSU, OU etc...). Still, the weaknesses you described are real. What in the hell was that first half against Minnesota?? What in the hell was that long, long drive by Illinois to start the third quarter that essentially decided the game? Where was our run defense against Wisconsin? And there were many other times, too numerous to mention where the defense let very mediocre teams like Purdue control the clock on us. The fact is, even though we had a better scoring defense last year, teams were very, very rarely forced out after only three downs. Usually, even if a team started on their 25 they would almost always get at least two first downs before the drive stalled. That meant that for the entire season our offense was almost always starting from around our own 20 or 25. Our defense rarely gave our offense a short field.
completely agree.

@Mrs.Jeans15 isn't necessarily wrong when he says our offense and special teams were SO bad the last 3 years it made our finally adequate defense look very good.

iowa, purdue, wisc, ill all controlled the clock in the 2nd half with long drives while Frost apparently soiled himself on the sideline ("that was the game", etc.)

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I said it in another thread, and it's all hindsight, but if we get any offense and ST, there are a lot of games that are different on the defensive end of the ball. Our D came out somewhat hot against Illinois. Got some sacks, was putting pressure on Illinois, but because of our O and ST we lost a ton of momentum and it spiraled. If we take care of business, we probably bury Illinois because they probably wouldn't be continuing to try to run it right at us. MSU was like that and a few other games.

I do have concerns at some positions, but I really think if we can get to the point where we continue to put pressure on with the Offense, it is really going to help our D. All in all it is just excuses though until we finally do something and that is on the head man. The good news is, we play well next year and everyone is happy, or we suck, Frost is canned and everyone gets optimistic that Trev can hire a ringer.

I'd say that we could see this defense more often than a 3-4 look:
DE: Tannor
DT: Robinson
DT: Rogers
DE: Nelson
LB: Henrich
LB: Reimer
N: Gifford
CB: Clark
CB: Newsome
S: Farmer
S: Pola-Gates
That will get abused in the run game if we're relying on Tannor to be a DE. I'd run it to his side 90% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT