ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early 2022 Depth Chart

Wouldn’t be surprised if they brought a DT in from the portal or juco. It also wouldn’t be surprising to see an Olineman move to the defensive side. A lot of the recruited offensive linemen played both sides in high school, and could have easily been recruited as a DT or DE ( i.e. Nash Hutmacher and Justin Jenkins). I think Casey Rogers and Ty Robinson are going to have huge years. They got a lot of earlier experience, and looked REALLY good.

Last edited:
That will get abused in the run game if we're relying on Tannor to be a DE. I'd run it to his side 90% of the time.
Tannor, Nelson, Payne, and Damian are almost always our DE/Edge guys in our 4 man front/ Nickel package. I think you're thinking about our 3-4 DEs which all of our OLBs would get abused there!!

I agree with most of the OPs list. Pretty solid projections IMO. I made a few changes to his projection for the fun of it. Don't crucify me!!

Offense:
QB: Casey Thompson, Logan Smothers, Matt Masker
RB: Rahmir Johnson, Gabe Ervin, Jacquez Yant
WR: Omar Manning, Oliver Martin, Wyatt Liewer
WR: Zavier Betts, Trey Palmer, Latrell Neville
Slot: W. Garcia-Castenada, Alante Brown, Will Nixon
TE: Travis Vokolek, Thomas Fidone, Chancellor Brewington
LT: Teddy Prochazka, Brant Banks
LG: Nouri Noulli, Henry Lutovsky
C: Turner Corcoran, Trent Hixson, Ethan Piper
RG: (Tre'Mond Shorts), Ezra Miller
RT: Hunter Anthony, Bryce Benhart

Defense:
DE: Ty Robinson, Ru'Quan Buckley, Jailen Weaver
Nose: Jordon Riley, Nash Hutmacher, Marquis Black
DE: Casey Rogers, Mosai Newsome, Colton Feist
OLB: Garrett Nelson, Damian Jackson, Blaise Gunnerson
ILB: Luke Reimer, Chris Kolarevic, Eva Magua
ILB: Nick Henrich, Will Honas, Mikai Gbayor
OLB: Caleb Tannor, Pheldarius Payne, Jimari Butler
Nickel: Isaac Gifford, Buddha Wright, Gage Stenger
CB: Marques Buford, Tommi Hill, Tamon Lynum,
CB: Quinton Newsome, Braxton Clark, Jaedon Gould
S: Myles Farmer, DaShon Singleton, Jalil Martin
S: Noa Pola-Gates, Tyreke Johnson, Koby Bretz

Biggest strengths: WR, TE, CB, DE, OG (May be really good with Nouili and Shorts.)
Biggest weaknesses: Nose, Safety, Tackles (Have been abused recently.)
Biggest unknowns: Safety, Nose, the OL as a whole.

Farmer had more picks in one game than Dismuke had his entire career (did not fact-check this statement).

both our hard-hitting safeties couldn't run or cover a lick. they shouldn't be hard to replace, and the new guys shouldn't need to be counted on nearly as much in the run game.
Famer isn't bad in coverage, his angles and tackling needs improvement though.

both the new safeties have higher upside than the ones we lost

didn't see nickel listed, but Gifford looked more than up to the task of replacing JoJo

Not sure I agree. Farmer doesn't have bigger upside than either of our safeties. No clue who the other safety will even be tbh.

Williams will be missed at Safety maybe as much as CTB at CB. Hopefully JC guy can come in and be a difference maker. Unless NPG makes a jump we will be worse at Safety.

Jojo and Daniels are the biggest losses. There is none on the current roster to replace either...PERIOD.

Hopefully our improvement at ILB and DE can kinda off set it some. I'm not doing back flips though tbh

Holla

Our D going into next year really makes me nervous, not gonna lie. I think the pieces we lost are going to hurt ALOT.
it's already a given, the built in excuse with bringing in CT.. you blame the defense for the losses in high school, and college.. this story is already writing itself!

I'd say that we could see this defense more often than a 3-4 look:
DE: Tannor
DT: Robinson
DT: Rogers
DE: Nelson
LB: Henrich
LB: Reimer
N: Gifford
CB: Clark
CB: Newsome
S: Farmer
S: Pola-Gates

If we run this outside if passing downs Tannor had better put some damn bricks in his pants. BIG West would love to see that front on first downs...

Holla

Reactions: oldjar07 and 9and4
he's been caught out of position/with his eyes in the backfield at times, but I didn't think he looked slow

especially compared to the mid-4.7 plodder he replaced

You may be surprised but Farmer is a 4.7 "plodder" as well. In fact I'd guess that if they lined up right now Dismuke would outrun Farmer...jus saying

Holla

Reactions: bigredhunter
I agree with most of the OPs list. Pretty solid projections IMO. I made a few changes to his projection for the fun of it. Don't crucify me!!

Offense:

Defense:

Biggest strengths: WR, TE, CB, DE, OG (May be really good with Nouili and Shorts.)
Not sure I agree with all the choices, but this is an interesting fresh peek at the roster -with some potential contributors left off.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they brought a DT in from the portal or juco. It also wouldn’t be surprising to see an Olineman move to the defensive side. A lot of the recruited offensive linemen played both sides in high school, and could have easily been recruited as a DT or DE ( i.e. Nash Hutmacher and Justin Jenkins). I think Casey Rogers and Ty Robinson are going to have huge years. They got a lot of earlier experience, and looked REALLY good.
Looking at our roster the more I’m convinced we need to bring in a DL.
The trenches are what tip the scales, and we got questions on both sides.

Reactions: kakdawg
Hope... Can't blame you, but this roster will be lucky to win 6 games and that is with the easiest schedule in 15 years. Only a small fraction get's it. LOL..Heres to 2022...Go Frost.

Not sure I agree with all the choices, but this is an interesting fresh peek at the roster -with some potential contributors left off.
Nothing is set in stone this time of the year so projecting can be fun. I know every poster has their own ideas. I wish more would share their depth chart projections.

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker

Casey Rogers and Ty will be fine. Probably even advice average. There is a huge hole at NG though. I don't trust either guy listed at NG. Hope I'm wrong but currently I think we need to be better there.

Holla

It seems every year we have concerns about one position or another but defense is not a huge concern for me this year. Now if you're talking about special teams that's where I have some concern and until that gets cleaned up it will continue to be a concern. Nebraska has improved a lot on the offensive side with the addition of Thompson and Palmer and the added football coaching they will receive is a huge upgrade not to mention our OL coaching.

The young players on the Defensive line saw a lot of action last year and did OK and with that experience they will improve even more as will our LB/DB core. The question you have to ask yourself is are we a better team right now vs our team from last year? I feel we are much better team.

The most important depth chart:
K — Bleekrode, Contreraz
KO — Franke, Bleekrode
P — Buschini, Bleekrode
KOR — Palmer, Brown, Hartzog
PR — Palmer, Hartzog
LS — Weas

(No, I did not forget Martin)

The young players on the Defensive line saw a lot of action last year and did OK and with that experience they will improve even more as will our LB/DB core. The question you have to ask yourself is are we a better team right now vs our team from last year? I feel we are much better team.
What I’m looking for is the growth and development behind the scenes (coaching). Every team deals with turnover, and it’s about prepping the next crop. We need guys like Jimari Butler, Blaise Gunnerson, Wyndon Ho’ohuli, Eteva Mauga Clement,Tamon Lynum, Marques Buford, Noa Pola Gates, Nash Hutmacher, Marquis Black, Jailen Weaver, Jordan Riley, etc. To be ready to push and play up to a standard.

Obviously, there’s a component of needing quality raw clay, but these players were all recruited by this staff. Time to get them ready to perform.
The DL is where you typically don’t want to be playing youth (same with OL, as we’ve seen). More mature bodies usually pan out better, save for exceptional talent.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75

Offense:

Defense:

I updated the OP to include Palmer which was a huge get. I guess I hadn’t heard much on Shorts, are we the main player there?

Turner at C could work but I thought he actually played really well when he was on the right side of the line. Just a disaster at LT.

The DL is where you typically don’t want to be playing youth (same with OL, as we’ve seen). More mature bodies usually pan out better, save for exceptional talent.
When you have very good players especially at the DL position it's hard to keep them very long because they usually declare early for the draft. We were lucky last year to have some of our veteran DL players give it one last go but the back ups are going to do ok imo. You shore up special teams and we should see this team play in the post season.

I thought Oliver Martin was no longer listed. I'd love to be wrong, but perhaps he's going to try a fourth college.
I do hope the injured players like Teddy P and Gabe Ervin are ready to go.
Not sure NPG has shown anything yet at NU. I'd guess Gifford ahead of him at the start of spring.
Whip commented on Oliver saying he likes his route funning ability.

Offense:

Defense:

Where does Williams the Omaha North OL - portal fit in? He had started several games al be it at a lower level.

Where does Williams the Omaha North OL - portal fit in? He had started several games al be it at a lower level.
No clue brother. I just speculated. I put Shorts as our starting RG and he doesn't even play for us! What's your OL projection?

I updated the OP to include Palmer which was a huge get. I guess I hadn’t heard much on Shorts, are we the main player there?

Turner at C could work but I thought he actually played really well when he was on the right side of the line. Just a disaster at LT.
I really liked the projection you put out. I agree that Turner is our likely starter at RT. Shorts is visiting soon so hopefully we can land him. He was an FCS All-American.

I'm just speculating with my projections. I wish other posters would throw out their depth charts too.

I really liked the projection you put out. I agree that Turner is our likely starter at RT. Shorts is visiting soon so hopefully we can land him. He was an FCS All-American.

I'm just speculating with my projections. I wish other posters would throw out their depth charts too.
Thanks. Just did a little more reading on Shorts. Looks like he played both guard and LT and dominated in both spots. Hope we can land him, if so I agree he’s a starter. Lots of moving pieces on the OL. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

It seems every year we have concerns about one position or another but defense is not a huge concern for me this year. Now if you're talking about special teams that's where I have some concern and until that gets cleaned up it will continue to be a concern. Nebraska has improved a lot on the offensive side with the addition of Thompson and Palmer and the added football coaching they will receive is a huge upgrade not to mention our OL coaching.

A defense that lost its 3 best players (ctb, daniels, JoJo) . You probably should be worried a bit more about it imo.

Holla

Casey Rogers and Ty will be fine. Probably even advice average. There is a huge hole at NG though. I don't trust either guy listed at NG. Hope I'm wrong but currently I think we need to be better there.

Holla

Hey Kakdawg do you see anyone on the roster who might fit the NG position? An OL perhaps? Maybe a DT? Weaver?

Thanks

Seeing a lot of people penciling in Garcia-Castenada as a starter. If you’re thinking he’s Toure 2.0 then your probably going to be very disappointed. I like a lot but we have a lot of guys on our roster already that have a lot of talent.

I’m really really high on Cadillac Brown going forward. People may forget he only started playing WR in prep school and he was a QB in HS. He’s never had a full time WR coach at Nebraska. Lubick was too laid back to make these talented kids learn the playbook and he didn’t have the time doing double duty as OC.

I think this why we saw some guys playing who had less talent but had the playbook down. Mickey won’t be so laid back. He’ll get his guys coached up. Also remember Brown was highly recruited and the #1 prep recruit. I know everyone likes shinny new things but I think we have a ton of talent @ WR and can see Garcia-Castenada being a guy who takes a little while to hit the field

Reactions: BleedRed78
Seeing a lot of people penciling in Garcia-Castenada as a starter. If you’re thinking he’s Toure 2.0 then your probably going to be very disappointed. I like a lot but we have a lot of guys on our roster already that have a lot of talent.

I’m really really high on Cadillac Brown going forward. People may forget he only started playing WR in prep school and he was a QB in HS. He’s never had a full time WR coach at Nebraska. Lubick was too laid back to make these talented kids learn the playbook and he didn’t have the time doing double duty as OC.

I think this why we saw some guys playing who had less talent but had the playbook down. Mickey won’t be so laid back. He’ll get his guys coached up. Also remember Brown was highly recruited and the #1 prep recruit. I know everyone likes shinny new things but I think we have a ton of talent @ WR and can see Garcia-Castenada being a guy who takes a little while to hit the field
Hard to tell if Brown will be productive. He hasn’t shown anything yet. Hopefully he will.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT