ADVERTISEMENT

Our Defense

HCHTown

Walk On
Oct 21, 2012
Our defense is like playing doubles tennis with a weak partner. The other team keeps hitting it at him so you decide to cheat and help him out.

The result is you are out of position and give up easy points time after time. There is no solution if your teammate can’t play them straight up the majority of the time.

This is exactly what is happening on third down. We are unbelievably out of position. And the problem isn’t going away until the front seven can do their part. It wouldn’t matter if Dion Sanders was covering. We are out of position almost every third down. Our front seven is too slow to get to QB or can’t get off blocks. There is always going to be some receiver running wide open near the first down marker until we get more speed in the front seven. I’m think Farley, David, Eric Johnson, Jamal Williams LB speed to QB. Or Tomich, Wistrom, Suh on line. Starters are just incredibly slow.

I’m not sure offense is our problem. Not getting off the field on third down is killing any rhythm this team starts to generate. It is the reason we play scared on offense.

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker
Our defense is like playing doubles tennis with a weak partner. The other team keeps hitting it at him so you decide to cheat and help him out.

The result is you are out of position and give up easy points time after time. There is no solution if your teammate can’t play them straight up the majority of the time.

This is exactly what is happening on third down. We are unbelievably out of position. And the problem isn’t going away until the front seven can do their part. It wouldn’t matter if Dion Sanders was covering. We are out of position almost every third down. Our front seven is too slow to get to QB or can’t get off blocks. There is always going to be some receiver running wide open near the first down marker until we get more speed in the front seven. I’m think Farley, David, Eric Johnson, Jamal Williams LB speed to QB. Or Tomich, Wistrom, Suh on line. Starters are just incredibly slow.

I’m not sure offense is our problem. Not getting off the field on third down is killing any rhythm this team starts to generate. It is the reason we play scared on offense.

The biggest problem is the fact our D was illegally held by Northwestern OL EVERY single play and BIG Refs NO calls on NW. Big Refs call holding on our OL and various other position groups. Why has the BIG ordered Refs to do this against Nebraska?

The biggest problem is the fact our D was illegally held by Northwestern OL EVERY single play and BIG Refs NO calls on NW. Big Refs call holding on our OL and various other position groups. Why has the BIG ordered Refs to do this against Nebraska?

it's not just the holding calls --- if you look at the first play of NWs last drive from the 1, Thorson should have been flagged for striking our defensive lineman's arm with his head - I hope the BIG office is reviewing

I remember when PSU joined the conference and their fans would complain about getting hosed...even to this day, 25 years later, they still bitch that they are the "outsiders"

Reactions: headcard
One of the biggest problems is the fact the seniors in this class have played for four different defensive coordinators and 3 head coaches.

While it sucks losing it's going to take time to turn things around.

My issue is they didn't try someone else besides Williams, my gosh he got hurt and stayed in. Is that all they have? I actually feel sorry for the kid since it appeared the coaches didn't try to help him or even replace him since he got hurt. I believe Minnesota has better receivers maybe I'm wrong

The D has been presented over and over with third (and even fourth) and long, yet can't get off of the field, especially when it's time to win. There are too few kids who can make a play when it counts. In fact, there are seemingly more kids who will make an error when it counts.
I don't think the zebras are doing our D any favors. But awhile back we had DLineman that could still get pressure even if held and those that demanded double teams.

Bo got creative when he brought Lavonte down to DE to get pressure. Charlie M brought safeties down to LB. They didn’t over commit they substituted speed. Although they did corner blitz, but got there when they did.

This front seven cannot get home, even with over commitment.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I remember when PSU joined the conference and their fans would complain about getting hosed...even to this day, 25 years later, they still bitch that they are the "outsiders"
That is the culture of this conference and it makes me wonder if it will always be this way for us.

Reactions: huskerfan66
our defense gave up 7 pts in three quarters on the road. The game should have been over.

Good point, just lack of focus and execution coupled with bad luck in the 4th quarter. Still think the BIG has ordered refs to favor teams with better playoff / bowl prospects.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT