ADVERTISEMENT

OU hiring Venables..

john blake was the best recruiter

got stoops his NC talent, got us suh, did something at I think kentucky...then got in trouble with the ncaa....
he was just ahead of his time like smu

terrible hc though, ok at dl coach
Carriker and j Moore didn’t think too highly of him as a position coach. More less a 2 faced snake but maybe that helps in recruiting

Reactions: redwine65
Great hire. If they can get a great D to go with great O they will be dangerous.
He's gonna bring stout D back to the Sooners which has been missing since Stoops stepped down.

Lincoln Riley was 12 years old when Venables started his coaching career.

there's a reason he hasn't been a HC yet, and its likely a combination of him knowing his own limitations and waiting to pick the best payday.

It’s a risky hire. The fact he has resisted being a HC until now is telling.
fanbase ran venables out out of town on a rail years ago...interesting that theyre fawning over him, now...and they had to go with a coordinator.
maybe the sec spooked the guys they tried (no, it doesnt feel like their first pick) or maybe a reticence to replace an 85 winning %age.
of which i've heard fans here in okc say, paraphrasing 'oh, riley was going down hill, anyways...'.

Last edited:
It’s a risky hire. The fact he has resisted being a HC until now is telling.
There is definitely some risk involved, for both sides. OU is hiring a guy with no head coaching experience, and Venables had rock-solid job security at Clemson. That’s gone now.
One thing is for certain. If he throws out 4 losing seasons, you can bet your arse that OU won’t bring him back for a 5th.

Eh, it's a thread on Brent Venables. There were some that were doubting if his hiring was confirmed, and this should put it to rest.
Somebody else beat you to it Boomer. We don't need OU's peeps smiling mugs on our site.

There is definitely some risk involved, for both sides. OU is hiring a guy with no head coaching experience, and Venables had rock-solid job security at Clemson. That’s gone now.
One thing is for certain. If he throws out 4 losing seasons, you can bet your arse that OU won’t bring him back for a 5th.
H'es got no worries. He can retire or go back to being a DC if he fails at OU. It's good to be rich.

He will not survive 4 losing or even .500 seasons at Oklahoma. I doubt if he could survive 2 of those! Hell you had some fans and media there trying to run Stoops out of town.

That's Oklahoma....not Nebraska.

Hell you had some fans and media there trying to run Stoops out of town.
That's true, and speaks to how delusional some folks are in every fan base, it seems. In Bob Stoops' 18 seasons at OU, they went to a bowl game every year. His worst record came in his first season (7-5). Perhaps his most remarkable accomplishment was that he never lost to the same program more than two consecutive times during his career. He won 10 or more games in 14 out of the 18 years he coached, yet there were some idiotic fans who wanted him fired at various points throughout that stretch.

That guy just screams intensity while being completely silent. He has done very well at Clemson. Now it's time to see if he can be the guy overseeing everything. Oklahoma has talent, but with the transfer portal now a thing he can lose guys or gain them.

Will be interesting to see how much of their offensive identity they keep in the transition from Riley to Venables. I expect their defense to be better than it has been but I'll be curious to see how much their offense changes.

venables to ou is a bit like the mayor to N basketball. a shiny object, methinks. but how will he do as head coach? replacing offensive mindset for defensive. replacing serious for manic. replacing b12 for sec. idk. but i'll be watching. and my bet is this doesn't go well for boomer.

Reactions: WHCSC
Will be interesting to see how much of their offensive identity they keep in the transition from Riley to Venables. I expect their defense to be better than it has been but I'll be curious to see how much their offense changes.

I knew it had declined, but I wasn't aware that Lincoln Riley's offense had regressed this much over the past three seasons. It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers Jeff Lebby is able to put up there.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
b12 defenses have gotten a lot better. baylor, oSu, ou, isu, k-state, all better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT