ADVERTISEMENT

OU hiring Venables..

Neither have a lot of assistant coaches until given the chance like Tom Osborne..
exactly. We can say "great hire" but until a guy has been at a school for a few years you don't know for sure what kind of talent evaluator for both sides of the ball he is, what kind of recruiter he is, and what kind of whole team game day coach he is. There's just so much that goes in to being a P5 head coach.

exactly. We can say "great hire" but until a guy has been at a school for a few years you don't know for sure what kind of talent evaluator for both sides of the ball he is, what kind of recruiter he is, and what kind of whole team game day coach he is. There's just so much that goes in to being a P5 head coach.
So, if OU comes up here and beats Frost we can say great hire next year?? Probably not since many coaches have already done that.

True, Frost was a Head Coach and look how well that's turned out for NU.
Frost got the benefit of some good talent already at UCF. Yeah he recruited Milton and other really good players but he started from a good spot roster wise. That first wasted recruiting year due to the turnover killed him. Then you add in the problems with our kickers and you get what we got. Just think what an Alex Henery and Sam Koch would have done for this team or name any of the plethora of great kickers and punters NU has had over the past 25 years. Instead we whiffed terribly on an Australian punter, an inconsistent MSU transfer punter and an LSU transfer kicker who clearly has the yips. Frost clearly has learned some very hard lessons about being the head coach at NU. Now the question is if he can grow in to the position or if we absolutely have to start over. I know you have your mind made up.

So, if OU comes up here and beats Frost we can say great hire next year?? Probably not since many coaches have already done that.
What IF Frost's team with a new OC kicks the shit out of OU? Will you admit that maybe Frost has a chance to grow in to NU's job?

It's going to be interesting to watch what happens there. They've had a mass exodus of recruits right before the early signing day but they're loaded with talent. Might be a hole in their roster for a year or two. The SEC is going to be a tough road for them to initiate a new coach. I wonder if the SEC will do to OU what the B1G did to NU with the scheduling.

What IF Frost's team with a new OC kicks the shit out of OU? Will you admit that maybe Frost has a chance to grow in to NU's job?
I've been a huge Frost fan since day one. But 4 years of the same clown show circus and not achieving a winning record in the garbage West has me concerned. As it should any NU fan who knows what smart, mistake free, hard nosed football should look like. GBR

I've been a huge Frost fan since day one. But 4 years of the same clown show circus and not achieving a winning record in the garbage West has me concerned. As it should any NU fan who knows what smart, mistake free, hard nosed football should look like. GBR
All of us have doubts now whether or not Frost will get it done. IF they go out and hire a service academy OC and really split up the passing game and run game between Micky and him, I think he's doomed to failure this next year. It makes no sense. IMO, he would have been better off scrapping just Austin and Mario. IF on the other hand he lands a spread option guy who has experience running a whole offense and coaching QBs there's a chance he could get over the hump IMO. The whole idea of scrapping his offense doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they can turn things around next year. Count me as concerned about where this is headed.

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting to watch what happens there. They've had a mass exodus of recruits right before the early signing day but they're loaded with talent. Might be a hole in their roster for a year or two. The SEC is going to be a tough road for them to initiate a new coach. I wonder if the SEC will do to OU what the B1G did to NU with the scheduling.

Hopefully....

john blake was the best recruiter

got stoops his NC talent, got us suh, did something at I think kentucky...then got in trouble with the ncaa....
he was just ahead of his time like smu

terrible hc though, ok at dl coach

Reactions: huntered
If he gets Lebby as his OC, I think Oklahoma will be just fine.

But he's thrown gas on the dumpster fire and gotten worse. You don't need to be T.O to win 6 in the West.
Actually I think our level of play has gotten better everywhere except at kicker and punter. I was listening to some B1G people this past summer and they said, "It is likely that Nebraska will be better next year but because of their schedule they might not win any more games". Boy did they nail it. Now obviously the loss to Illinois was a bad one. The rest of the losses certainly looked more logical given how all those teams finished.

Reactions: 1fsb and Laner2
Actually I think our level of play has gotten better everywhere except at kicker and punter. I was listening to some B1G people this past summer and they said, "It is likely that Nebraska will be better next year but because of their schedule they might not win any more games". Boy did they nail it. Now obviously the loss to Illinois was a bad one. The rest of the losses certainly looked more logical given how all those teams finished.
Bottom line for Frost. Get shit fixed and win or you're done. I'm done with excuses and moral victories. Period.

All you said is true but realistically, some coaches have a lot experience in those various areas than others. It's not an apples to apples comparison where every assistant is the same and has a clean slate.

I never thought SF would be the second coming of TO but I sure thought we‘d be going to bowl games and a B1G CCG appearance by now.:mad:
I really thought with a 4th year senior QB that this would have been the year. Little did I know how bad our O line and special teams would be. Sigh. We should have won the west this year and I actually think we would have matched up okay with MIchigan in the title game. Oh for a punter, kicker and O line coach....

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT