ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vacation Help

Theolddog

Jan 22, 2019
Taking the motorcycle to Hot Springs area over the 4th July, give me ideas for housing, food, entertainment and rides. Be there about 5 days thanks in advance.

Taking the motorcycle to Hot Springs area over the 4th July, give me ideas for housing, food, entertainment and rides. Be there about 5 days thanks in advance.
Probably going to be expensive for lodging (maybe air Bnb?), Mammoth site is there and have heard a lot of good things about it, Evans plunge is there, Wind Cave National Park, not too far from Custer State Park (lots of Buffalo, prairie dogs, deer, antelope). They have a beautiful visitor's center there, with videos of the park and animals. You have to go through the "spires" - really cool, narrow, tunnels, rugged peaks. Sylvan Lake is very pretty. Of course, Rapid City is only an hour away, with lots of tourist activities - Reptile Gardens, Bear Country. Keystone is closest to the faces (which will be crowded all summer) - kind of fun to check out the various shops, etc. Hope you have a good time.

Reactions: saluno22
drove thru the black hills/rushmore on the 4th of july in ‘08. crowded? yes, but we wandered around the whole area without much delay.

Stay at the State Game Lodge in Custer State Park if you can get in. Odds probably aren't great for that time...but look into it. In Hot Springs itself Red Rock River Resort is probably the best place to stay. I'll be honest, Hot Springs isn't a great town. I'd recommend staying in Custer, Keystone, Rapid City, or Hill City in the Southern Black Hills... you can also look into renting a cabin. If you want to stay in downtown Rapid City and have a little bit more access to food and nightlife I recommend the Hotel Alex Johnson or the Rushmore Hotel. If you can find a room in Keystone that night, the fireworks at Mount Rushmore are probably second only to the Statue of Liberty.

What is considered a long ride on a motorcycle?

In a car, I kind of get bored with anything over 3 hours and 10 hours is about the max I want to do in a day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT