ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Somewhat forgotten autos of the muscle car era:

Bugeater

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Surprise, AZ via North Platte
Buick, known for many years as a geezer car, was on fire back in the 60's and 70's, high powered and marvelous to look at. What say you?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

I dig the GSX. IIRC, the 1970 came out with 455. I imagine that had a lot of grunt to it.

Buick and other luxury cars are still old geezer cars. Or they brotha cars.

Once asked my 60 YO Grandmother why she bought a Mercedes-Benz and she told me it didn't hurt her back with all the bumps on the Lincoln roads.

This car had a wired phone that plugged into the smoke filter.

Once got to drive it 25 yrs after I was a kid and holy fing shit!!! She was right!!! I didn't feel a thing!!!

Buick, known for many years as a geezer car, was on fire back in the 60's and 70's, high powered and marvelous to look at. What say you?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
The Buick GSX was every bit as powerful as (most of) the Chevelles, and had a much nicer clock. They were square as I recall.

A buddy had one of those boattail Riverias and that car was sweet. Smooth as glass, powerful and ultra stylish inside and out.

Don't forget the AMC Javelin.

1968-AMC-Javelin-Bonneville-Speed-Spectacular-1.jpg

The Buick GSX was every bit as powerful as (most of) the Chevelles, and had a much nicer clock. They were square as I recall.

A buddy had one of those boattail Riverias and that car was sweet. Smooth as glass, powerful and ultra stylish inside and out.

Don't forget the AMC Javelin.

1968-AMC-Javelin-Bonneville-Speed-Spectacular-1.jpg
Sweet. I've got a '78 Wagoneer with a 401 AMC. Helluva engine.

Had a ‘77 Camaro back in the day. Purchased a new scat pack last year with a 6 speed manual. Loved my Camaro but the new technology is so much more better

Reactions: Laner2
Notorious 1970 “Black Ghost” Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T-SE Street Racer  Surfaces!Notorious 1970 “Black Ghost” Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T-SE Street Racer  Surfaces!

This exact car was owned by a former cop who raced it anonymously and cleaned up everyone he raced.

In the Spring of 70 this 440 cubic inch HEMI making 426 HP showed up at illegal street races in and around Detroit until 75 when it just disappeared. But while it was racing it ate up GTOs, Cobras, Cameros, Chevelles and Corvettes. It was owned by Godfrey Qualls, a black dude who was a motorcycle cop in Detroil. I mention that he was black only because it was pretty uncommon back then for a black guy to own such a badass car and pick the pockets of virtually everyone he raced, most of whom were white.

For reasons known only to Qualls himself, he stopped racing in 75, put a tarp over the car and did not drive it until in 14 when he and his son pulled the tarp off the car and cleaned it up. They got into the car and Qualls taped a $100 bill to the dash and told his son that if he could grab it during a pull, he could have it. The bill stayed taped to the dash.

The car was recently auctioned off for $1.07 million.

Last edited:
That was my 1st car, same color too. With gold Keystone wheels & Kelly Radials on it. I remember buying seat covers and a F'ing tape deck at Kmart about 35 years ago (I just dated myself) My old man was like, nothing wrong with that 8-Track player. Damn, didn't know how good I had it!

Reactions: libbity bibbity
In 1980 I was offered a 69 Dodge Charger Daytona (wing car), with a 426 hemi and 4 speed for $11,000. Not getting it then proved to be a pretty bad decision. It was nice and original. One like that now would probably fetch $250,000.

• Wow
Reactions: HuskerO
In 1980 I was offered a 69 Dodge Charger Daytona (wing car), with a 426 hemi and 4 speed for $11,000. Not getting it then proved to be a pretty bad decision. It was nice and original. One like that now would probably fetch $250,000.
Hope you let it go. I had to get over not buying Amazon and Bitcoin early on. Coulda woulda shoulda

Bought a chrome colored '69 Dodge Charger in'72 when I was in the USAF.
Ran like mofo, 440, about 9 mpg back right as gas was getting to a buck a gallon.
Can we appreciate the muscle cars of 1969. Almost every muscle car that year looked bad ass. The Camaro, Mustang, Charger, GTO, etc. one of the best years ever for cars in my opinion.

My grandpa was a Buick guy. Back in the 70s he had about 5 of the original Riviera's from 63 - 65. Those were sweet. He also had a 1972 that was his main transportation. He gave me my first car which was a 1960 Wildcat.

In 1969, my dad was stationed at Fort Campbell after being stationed over seas. Before getting discharged, he went into Clarksville, TN & bought a new 69 Plymouth Road Runner. Only brand new car he ever bought. He used to run it quite a bit at the Kearney drag strip & old paved county roads when someone wanted to run. It was also the family car before getting put into an old shed where time & moisture took its toll. My brother started to restore it 20+ years ago & then life happened. He started hitting it pretty hard the last 5 years because he wanted dad to drive it. It’s about 90% done & dad was able to drive it in December for the first time in over 30 years.

If I could remember how to post pics, I’d would share one.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
I had a 72 Ford Gran Torino Sport. Got it in high school and drove it all through college. Loved that car. It was terrible in snow, but that did not stop me from driving it everywhere in the winter. My friends and I always took it on ski trips to my aunt's house in Denver and to Steamboat Springs (Rabbit Ears Motel). Never got stuck. I don't know how. AWD and 4-wheel drive were not common in the seventies. We never chained up either. I did have studded tires. One time when driving back to Lincoln after a quick trip to my aunt's in Denver (we always drove from her place up to ski Breck) four of us got caught in a bad snowstorm in Eastern Colorado. It was dark and it was just too hard to make out the road. So we ducked out of the wind and snow by parking right next to a closed gas station in a beat-up small town with no services. We weren't there an hour when a snowplow heading east went by. We followed that plow until the storm petered out. I now notice signs posted in the same area stating no snowplows from 7pm to 7 am. Glad there was one that night. How did we ever go on trips all over the countryside back then with no cell phones, no debit cards, no AWD, no Apple CarPlay????

Lars72, if you figure out the picture thing, would like to see the smile on your dad's face. Many fond memories of the drag strip in Kearney.
It seems like I'm on the struggle bus. I'm not sure what is the best photo site to do this on & can't remember how exactly to do it. I tried a couple of ways & I kept getting a message that it wouldn't post.

Lars72, if you figure out the picture thing, would like to see the smile on your dad's face. Many fond memories of the drag strip in Kearney.
My older brother had a sweet red cherry '64 GTO with a 400 and he was in Vietnam. Without my brother in Nam knowing it, my next older brother managed to get it started, took it to the Kearney drags, put a belt around his foot on the pedal so he could pop the clutch. Had 2 real fast times early, then on the 3rd run blew the clutch and other shit.

Make a long story short, when my brother got back from Vietnam and found out what happened, he was fighting mad. As he was sent flying through the outside door, he found out going after his younger brother who was high brown belt at the time, wasn't a good idea. LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: huntered and wholeo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT