ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sending positive thoughts...or positive energy.

ZaneHickey

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 3, 2004
How, exactly, is that done? FB suggested I do that for a buddy (birthday today), but i am stumped. I got lips perced and brow seriously furrowed...nothing.

I don't think it's about putting on a game face--it's more about having a good remembrance about the buddy cross your mind and causing you to smile, without planning or prompting. Just start thinking about them. Let the chips fall.

Reactions: SC_'sker
How, exactly, is that done? FB suggested I do that for a buddy (birthday today), but i am stumped. I got lips perced and brow seriously furrowed...nothing.
my .02

We tend to get what we focus on.. if we are being negative, we tend to draw negative things to us.. sort of like one of those days where everything goes wrong. The flip side, also works too.. where everything goes right and we feel unstoppable. Some call it law of attraction, others call it religion or maybe prayer, and some people don't believe in it either, which is fine.

So by sending positive thoughts, in a way, you're attempting to get the ball rolling toward a positive outcome.

my .02

We tend to get what we focus on.. if we are being negative, we tend to draw negative things to us.. sort of like one of those days where everything goes wrong. The flip side, also works too.. where everything goes right and we feel unstoppable. Some call it law of attraction, others call it religion or maybe prayer, and some people don't believe in it either, which is fine.

So by sending positive thoughts, in a way, you're attempting to get the ball rolling toward a positive outcome.
Of course, since no one on this board has negative thoughts, spending 15 minutes here a day makes your life wonderful.

so, they can keep their positive thoughts/energy to themselves...?
i take whatever i can get.

Reactions: donahues17
so, they can keep their positive thoughts/energy to themselves...?
i take whatever i can get.
Nope. I was being literal, actually. Seems like an impossible thing to send. If someone has positive thoughts or energy for me, i am hoping they will call me and share!:)

Reactions: tpmcg
Nope. I was being literal, actually. Seems like an impossible thing to send. If someone has positive thoughts or energy for me, i am hoping they will call me and share!:)
A six-pack of Red Bull should be sufficient for this occasion.

Then how do you explain the widespread use of the expression ‘thoughts and prayers,’ as in ‘My dog just died, I could use your thoughts and prayers.’
It covers the bases. Not everybody prays. I don’t expect that to someone thinking about me is going to help me any, but it is a nice gesture. But I do believe that if someone is praying for me, there is power in that.

I don’t believe someone thinking positive thoughts will change things for me.

Tell them you won't do it.
I was in the hospital a couple months ago. If i recall
It covers the bases. Not everybody prays. I don’t expect that to someone thinking about me is going to help me any, but it is a nice gesture. But I do believe that if someone is praying for me, there is power in that.

I think that sums it up, for me. Not that it matters. I was actually thinking of it in sort of an amusing way, i guess. If i think negative thoughts about someone, or figure out how (through the Cosmos?) to send negative energy, will that work against them, somehow? I hope not. I taught middle schoolers for 12 years. I am doomed if some of those kids start sending the negativity.Eek

So prayers are not positive thoughts? Pretty thin line you are drawing here.

So prayers are not positive thoughts? Pretty thin line you are drawing here.

Try to keep up. He didn't say that prayers are not positive thoughts. He said "not everyone prays." If all someone said is "prayers please," I'm sure a huge %, like maybe 7-8, would be super offended and scream from the mountain tops about how terrible that person was for being insensitive to those who don't believe in God.

Then how do you explain the widespread use of the expression ‘thoughts and prayers,’ as in ‘My dog just died, I could use your thoughts and prayers.’
If it's a lot like prayer, then the person making the comment is being redundant. It's a statement to cover the secular and the non-secular. Someone who is praying for someone is necessarily thinking about them, while someone who is thinking about someone is not necessarily praying for them.

Reactions: timnsun and OzzyLvr

What if it is a non-christian praying for you? Would there still be power in it? What if it was a Muslim, or a Buddhist, or a Hindu? What about a scientologist?

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Try to keep up. He didn't say that prayers are not positive thoughts. He said "not everyone prays." If all someone said is "prayers please," I'm sure a huge %, like maybe 7-8, would be super offended and scream from the mountain tops about how terrible that person was for being insensitive to those who don't believe in God.

Nope, I read it just fine. He said he didn’t think someone thinking positive thoughts for him changes anything, but believes there is power in prayer.

Here’s my answer. I don’t believe I can think positive thoughts for someone else and somehow, my positive thoughts make translate to some aura that makes that person’s life better. I don’t have that power. But I do believe God does.

To SC’Sker, you won’t like this, but as a Christian I don’t believe in other gods. So no, Buddhist or Muslim prayers don’t cut it. Sorry for being so narrow minded, but if I’m gonna commit to my bible, then I have to go with what it says.

Mods, sorry that I made this religious. Wasn’t my intention.

Here’s my answer. I don’t believe I can think positive thoughts for someone else and somehow, my positive thoughts make translate to some aura that makes that person’s life better. I don’t have that power. But I do believe God does.

To SC’Sker, you won’t like this, but as a Christian I don’t believe in other gods. So no, Buddhist or Muslim prayers don’t cut it. Sorry for being so narrow minded, but if I’m gonna commit to my bible, then I have to go with what it says.

You didn't make it religious. If anyone has faith in anything, that is anything unseen, it is religion. Macro evolution requires faith, therefore it is part of the humanist religion most of the time. ....Unless you believe aliens made you....and then macro evolution made them or something like that.

You're good bro.

Reactions: timnsun
You didn't make it religious. If anyone has faith in anything, that is anything unseen, it is religion. Macro evolution requires faith, therefore it is part of the humanist religion most of the time. ....Unless you believe aliens made you....and then macro evolution made them or something like that.

You're good bro.

What if someone has faith that positive vibes/thoughts will have the same effect as another person's prayers (to any God or Gods)?

Are they good, bro?

What if someone has faith that positive vibes/thoughts will have the same effect as another person's prayers (to any God or Gods)?

Are they good, bro?
Can you have positive thoughts that will change someone’s life from thousands of miles away just because you had those positive thoughts? If the answer is yes, then the opposite is true as well. Negative thoughts should impact negatively the person you are having those thoughts toward. But if that’s true, why is Trump our president? I am not trying to make this political as well, just stating that the amount of negative thoughts towards him should have sunk him long ago of negative thoughts alone could do that.

Bottom line, bro, is that people have faith. I put my faith in the Bible. The Bible says one God, not many. You can happily disagree and it won’t offend me or hurt my feelings at all.

You are asking what we believe, we are telling you. People who are of different religions may hold similar beliefs about their god. And I am guessing that a Muslim doesn’t think my prayers to the Christian God does anything. They think the same way about me as I do them.

Ultimately, it’s called faith. I’m not asking you to believe as I do. All I’m asking is please don’t tell me what I should believe. Let’s just happily coexist as husker fans, something we all agree on. Except Iowa trolls. They aren’t included in the word ‘all’.

Edit: also, apologies to you and others who feel like Christians continue to tell those who are not Christian what they should believe. It’s a 2 way street and if you don’t feel compelled to believe as I do, that’s your call, and I respect that.

You didn't make it religious, I did. No need to apologize. And on top of that you gave a thoughtful and honest reply to my response to huskerfan1414’s nonsense. Of course sending positive thoughts and sending prayers are a lot like one another. The person doing the sending does the exact same thing in both instances, only in the one case believes that God acts as an intermediary, can hear and care about what the person speaking says, is powerful enough to effect change, and also cares enough about the person to whom the change is to be made to actually make it. The only difference between the two is belief in this supernatural being as an intermediary. And if the person also believes that "the spirit" or the "the universe" can relay positive thoughts without being such an agent, then their action resemble even more that of the theist.

You're good bro.

That is an overly broad definition of religion. I don’t see my fridge right now (I am in the bedroom), but I believe it is in the kitchen. It is belief in the unseen. We can call that "faith" if you want, but it’s certainly not religious.

So I’d agree with your characterization of "faith" in evolution, if you're open to characterizing faith as non-religious. But there is still a big difference between the faith in evolution and the faith in God, namely, belief in the supernatural. One who believes in evolution has "faith," in the terms you proposed (belief in the unseen), that higher forms of life descended from lower forms of life, but she needs no beliefs in supernatural powers or agents to believe this. She can believe evolution while being a committed naturalist. The Christian's faith in the Genesis narrative is different, especially if revelation is taken to constitute a form of evidence.

As much as I want to object to your characterization of humanism as a religion, I am less confident I have any principled grounds for doing so. I have a pretty good idea of what religion and faith ain't, but I don't have a very solid grasp of what they are. I could point you to some good proposals (e.g. Pojman, Plantinga, Tillich), but any definition would be subject to the kind of counterexamples I raised above. We use both in ways that buck conventional usage.

Reactions: SC_'sker
You didn't make it religious, I did. No need to apologize. And on top of that you gave a thoughtful and honest reply to my response to huskerfan1414’s nonsense. Of course sending positive thoughts and sending prayers are a lot like one another. The person doing the sending does the exact same thing in both instances, only in the one case believes that God acts as an intermediary, can hear and care about what the person speaking says, is powerful enough to effect change, and also cares enough about the person to whom the change is to be made to actually make it. The only difference between the two is belief in this supernatural being as an intermediary. And if the person also believes that "the spirit" or the "the universe" can relay positive thoughts without being such an agent, then their action resemble even more that of the theist.

That is an overly broad definition of religion. I don’t see my fridge right now (I am in the bedroom), but I believe it is in the kitchen. It is belief in the unseen. We can call that "faith" if you want, but it’s certainly not religious.

So I’d agree with your characterization of "faith" in evolution, if you're open to characterizing faith as non-religious. But there is still a big difference between the faith in evolution and the faith in God, namely, belief in the supernatural. One who believes in evolution has "faith," in the terms you proposed (belief in the unseen), that higher forms of life descended from lower forms of life, but she needs no beliefs in supernatural powers or agents to believe this. She can believe evolution while being a committed naturalist. The Christian's faith in the Genesis narrative is different, especially if revelation is taken to constitute a form of evidence.

As much as I want to object to your characterization of humanism as a religion, I am less confident I have any principled grounds for doing so. I have a pretty good idea of what religion and faith ain't, but I don't have a very solid grasp of what they are. I could point you to some good proposals (e.g. Pojman, Plantinga, Tillich), but any definition would be subject to the kind of counterexamples I raised above. We use both in ways that buck conventional usage.

Would love to have more time bro, you wrote a lot to discuss, but I agree with quite a bit.

I suppose a discussion of the definitions between faith and religion would be helpful and also if I would adhere to them properly instead of using them interchangeably. I'm just lazy....and typing on a smart phone. Uuuug

Reactions: CC_Lemming
You can happily disagree and it won’t offend me or hurt my feelings at all ...You are asking what we believe, we are telling you ... I’m not asking you to believe as I do. All I’m asking is please don’t tell me what I should believe.

Seems simple enough, doesn't it? It's almost like some people are just angry and unhappy people and want to fight.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT