ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Rotator Cuff Surgery

Bkasl

Walk On
Nov 11, 2017
Who has had and what can I expect for recovery and rehab? I have an active late Spring and Summer planned
Thanks

Who has had and what can I expect for recovery and rehab? I have an active late Spring and Summer planned
Thanks
Never had but people I know who have had it have had lengthy recoveries. You can’t use your arm for a month. Full recovery and rehab for up to a year. I’ve had full thickness tears of my left one for over 45 years and have never had it repaired. My shoulder will periodically subluxate but is relatively painless. A radiologist friend who read my MRI said I needed surgery right away. I was having some pain there and I had a golf outing planned so they had done the MRI. A shot of cortisone and 10 years later I still haven’t had it done.

If it causes chronic pain and restricts your activities most notably ability to sleep it’s probably worth fixing. I can live with mine.

This is a tough call
We meet with surgeon Monday after MRI yesterday, had a bad fall from Pickleball directly on shoulder Monday, complete frozen shoulder no side or up movement, is improving daily but at 68 and very active I really hate to miss out on my normal routine of exercise, biking, golf, pickleball, etc
My guess is that I have always had some damage and clicking in both shoulders but this direct hit really did a number

• Sad
Reactions: dinglefritz
This is a tough call
We meet with surgeon Monday after MRI yesterday, had a bad fall from Pickleball directly on shoulder Monday, complete frozen shoulder no side or up movement, is improving daily but at 68 and very active I really hate to miss out on my normal routine of exercise, biking, golf, pickleball, etc
My guess is that I have always had some damage and clicking in both shoulders but this direct hit really did a number
If it’s a new tear, just bite the bullet and get it fixed. If you wait too long, they are no longer fixable. Then you end up with a replacement. While the recovery sucks, at the end of the day, you injured it. Take care of yourself so you can get back to being active and not have to deal with chronic shoulder injuries that could stop you from exercise, biking, pickleball, etc….

Reactions: Bkasl
This is a tough call
Let me ask, can you still lift a beer and/or a shot of booze with the arm that is in question?

If the answer is yes, you are all good.

- Dr. McGillicuddy

tenor.gif

This is a tough call
I have had 3 surgeries to fix my two rotator cuffs... one required a 2nd sx as it needed unplanned cadaver parts to fix up. Post surgery is nearly always 6 weeks in a sling while doing PT for about 3 months, starting soon after the procedure. They wont tell you this, but rarely do you get more than 75% of your strength back.. but that number is far better than for a total shoulder replacement. It is not a pleasant recovery, but considering that a fall shredded 3 of the 4 muscles in my one rotator and I couldn't lift my hand above my neckline, I am happy to have had the surgeries. fwiw, i have had both hips replaced also, and those were far easier than the rotator stuff. Good luck!

I'm 43 and have had issues with one for 10 plus years. That immobility/rehab deal really doesn't work for me. I'll probably just let it go until I can't take it anymore. Definitely feels a little better when I lift a little bit, but trying to lift anything above my head is pretty tough.

Thanks
I had it at 56. The surgeon makes a difference. I had a nerve block for 2 days and never took a pain pill after. Rehab was like 6 moths and of course hurst at times. I thought it was pretty easy.

Sleeping sucked sitting up for a while after you get home. Get a "wedge" to sleep on. Sloped triangle foam that hold you up.

Now I went out and played softball last year like I was 25 and need the other shoulder done from throwing. Problem now is I am not in Houston for the same guy I am in remote AR and they do not have that level of surgeon out here. Plus rehab is not the same either. I went to a sports rehab place that works with athletes only at Houston Methodist. Fantastic place.

Reactions: TFrazier
I have Bi-lateral Rotator cuff tears and a Labrum tear on my left as well. Just put in a 4th MRI request to the insurance company. PT and peptides have helped a fair amount, but the problem won't quite go away. I say go for it and get one of these during rehab. Model not included.
51kheL5BSiL._AC_.jpg

I have Bi-lateral Rotator cuff tears and a Labrum tear on my left as well. Just put in a 4th MRI request to the insurance company. PT and peptides have helped a fair amount, but the problem won't quite go away. I say go for it and get one of these during rehab. Model not included.
51kheL5BSiL._AC_.jpg
She could definitely help. How much did she cost?

I've beaten the odds on that surgery a few times. I 've done construction work and weight lifting most of my life and have had issues. I tore both of my rotator's before and was lucky enough to rehab and get back to mostly normal. I was told I needed surgery on my right back in 94 but got it fixed by a Indian medicine man.....start laughing , I know. It's straight up true.

Thanks
I had surgery on my Superaspernatus tendon and Biceps muscle in Jan of 2021. The first 6 weeks after surgery are the toughest because you will be in this horrible arm sling that is cumbersome and an overall pain in the ass which makes it hard to sleep at night. Once I was out of the sling and started sleeping, my whole outlook changed and I made very quick and steady progress. I stared swing a 7 iron at 4 1/2 months and a full driver at 5 months.

If you have surgery make sure to use Ice immediatley...do not let the swelling get bad. I would suggest you rent an Ice machine in lieu of Ice in a bag/towel. Also, go to PT ASAP. I was working with my PT 7 days after surgery. He/She will start moving your arm immediately which is vital for a quicker recovery. It is important to see your PT at least 2 times a weeks and you must do your exercises religiously per your PT's guidance.

I would highly recommend that you see at least 3 different Surgeons before proceeding to to surgery. Do not have surgery unless you absolutely need it! If you can rehab it( via PT, PRP,(etc.)...Do That First.

Has a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and torn bicep tendon surgery in Oct 2018. Recovery is a bitch but was 100% and back to work in 3 months

Thanks
Painful recovery. Had to sleep sitting up and build a cocoon of pillows around me to immobilize my shoulder and upper body.
Tough deal when you have a busted wing. I went back to work @ 5 1/2 months ( physical labor) and that was pushing it.
Good luck to you ! Keep us posted.

I have injured my shoulders multiple times from lifting or falling. The fall was the worst. I could hardly move it for a week. The others weren't painful but I had no ability for certain lifts. I rested them and worked around them and they always healed on their own. They may not be 100% but I don't notice any issues. Your milage may vary. No way I want to go through that surgery unless I have no other options.

Thanks
Just get it repaired. I had it on my left shoulder and tried to just do the rehab game and it just got progressively worse over the years. It’s annoying being in a sling for several months but my shoulder is essentially back to 100% from before the surgery.

6 months minimum (mine took a year because had to go back in and clean up scar tissue). Do the PT religiously and don’t try and rush it. It’s a bit of a bitch but shoulder feels much better after nearly 15 years.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Thanks
I've had both shoulders done. The rehab is long and frustrating, as you improve in small increments. Very slow but, if you stay the course, you'll be declared " back to full strength" in 4-6 months. How long it will take depends mainly on how many of the four shoulder ligaments needed to be repaired and if your biceps tendon has any damage.
Be sure to adhere to your rehab schedule. Most therapists will tell you that many patients blow off their rehab work and then expect the therapist to somehow magically cure them

Reactions: TFrazier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT