ADVERTISEMENT

OT...ISO recommendations on cordless electric trimmer

grayhairedfreak

Sophomore
Aug 21, 2010
Looking for recommendations to handle a small acreage, as my trimmer died today. What do you have and like? Specifically looking for thoughts on power and battery time. Thanks in advance!

Electric isnt very good In the way of longevity. Most of them are the same. Just dont get a walmart, they have terrible batteries. Just a small stihl gas trimmer will last you a long ass time. I used them commercially and used them hard for a lot of years. There are better gas trimmers, however the entry level stihl trimmers are the sweet spot of price and quality.

I live on a couple wooded acres. I just bought a Milwaukee electric string trimmer. Technically it is a base with a string trimmer attachment. Which is awesome because I also bought the pole saw attachment.

Having a battery powered unit has been great. The battery lasts plenty long and I don’t have to jack with fuel-oil mix, warming up the machine, cleaning the carburetor, etc. I’m pleased.

Yes a good 2 stroke will last forever. I still have my dad's old echo that I used as a kid. Gotta be near 30 years old now.
But I would love a good electric. I have Makita products already so leaning that way. Though as someone noted above the Ego 56v stuff looks quite good too. Pretty high mAh on the batteries from what I recall. Batteries are if course pricy though.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Haven’t switched my trimmer or edger to electric yet, but have electric mower and blower from Snapper which was the WalMart one a few years back (60V). Even though it’s a push mower, love it. Can still mow the whole yard 3 years in on the single battery and blow off the driveway. Mower is only half the weight of my prior self-propelled one so even though I have to push, it’s easier for me to use. Plus since it was on clearance at $120, if it dies I don’t care. If you are thinking electric, wait until the end of the season then watch for clearance deals.

I’ve been using the cordless 20v Black and Decker for years. It’s plenty powerful for in town trimming and even edging if you do it more frequently.

If I was looking to buy though, I would look at the Worx trimmer. The infomercial looks pretty good!

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
don't go with the cheap ones.. they are not long enough. you will see what I mean when you start looking at them. You might find a good deal at the pawn shop.

I had a similar problem, and when my walk behind weed trimmers died, I just bought a new one. Of course, I was annoyed because I bought the trimmer that was damaged a year ago, and I couldn't accept that it died so soon, but most probably it was my fail. I haven't searched for information about walk-behind weed trimmers, and thus I made the wrong choice when buying the trimer. After taking the lesson with the first trimer, I knew that I must search for information first. Thankfully I stumbled on a guide on how to buy a walk behind string trimmer, and after reading the guide, I found out everything I was looking for.

Last edited:
NSFW BELOW! You've been warned....

2_2020.6.9._-_1_480x480.gif

I have an EGO trimmer and blower - they are ridiculously powerful.

And I'll never tell my wife this, but I think the trimmer may be almost too powerful :)

My only real complaint is that the batteries don't give any indication that they are about to die - you'd think for that kind of money it would have some sort of real-time status indicator.

I have a 10 yr-old split-shaft, troy-bilt 4-cycle.
Its heavy and loud.
Im tapped after edging, trimming, and mowing.

I did a lot of research on these last year. The EGO seems to have been the #1 unit power wise. The #2 trimmer was Milwaukee on some of the tests I viewed. Since I was already invested in the Milwaukee M18 platform, that is the way I went, and I couldn’t be happier. It has lots of power to cut thru tall grass and weeds and reloading the trimmer line is super easy.

While I was in high school my father and I had a gardening business. The Milwaukee unit seems like it is geared for the professional market, so it’s a bit on the pricier side but I feel it’s worth it.

Now I only have a 1/3 acre lot but I have a lot of hedges and that is where it shines. The trimmer power head also is use for other attachments such as a hedge trimmer, edger, and pole chain saw. I’ve used both the hedge trimmer and the pole chain saw and they work very well.

If you already have Milwaukee M18 tools it's a no brainer.

For the price the Ryobi 40 volt trimmer is your best deal. Decent. Best trimmer is the Dewalt 60 volt you can get at Home Depot. Dewalt has several good trimmers with different battery sizes. All of them decent.

For the price the Ryobi 40 volt trimmer is your best deal. Decent. Best trimmer is the Dewalt 60 volt you can get at Home Depot. Dewalt has several good trimmers with different battery sizes. All of them decent.
I was in home Depot yesterday and they've got a lineup of lawn mowers by DeWalt, Ryobi and Makita. I guess battery quality is now driving that segment. I feel like Honda is late to the party. They license out their gasoline motors to a lot of lawn mower manufacturers.

I think mine is a worx someone gave me as a gift several years ago. I only have a few lots but a charge lasts me several mows.

Yeah. I like my ryobi ones. I have the blower, trimmer, edger, and hedge trimmer.

they say they have the power of gas, but the flexibility of electric

I was in home Depot yesterday and they've got a lineup of lawn mowers by DeWalt, Ryobi and Makita. I guess battery quality is now driving that segment. I feel like Honda is late to the party. They license out their gasoline motors to a lot of lawn mower manufacturers.

Weird thing is Honda does have battery powered stuff in Australia and Europe from what i could tell.

For me im looking for the best ecosystem that does it all. Tricky if you want everything including a snow blower to be battery.

Weird thing is Honda does have battery powered stuff in Australia and Europe from what i could tell.

For me im looking for the best ecosystem that does it all. Tricky if you want everything including a snow blower to be battery.
I grew up thinking Craftsman was the best because that's what my dad bought. Now I am brand agnostic. Almost everything is well made these days. I've got mostly Dewalt, some Porter Cable, Hitachi and Bosch. The only tools I have that must be cordless are drills. The rest I don't care. Weight is also a big factor. I never realized the extra fatigue from heavier tools until I started using lighter weight stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT