ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Travel....again

Teacher - Middle School - World History. I use a ton of my travel pics and videos for class
Thank you and my hats off to you. I'm jealous. Wish I had kids in your history class. Do you do world geography as well?

Good teachers are hard to find. Again thank you

Thank you and my hats off to you. I'm jealous. Wish I had kids in your history class. Do you do world geography as well?

Good teachers are hard to find. Again thank you
Yeah geography is all part of the deal as well. Just having loads of pics and videos helps spark interest.... And a ton of crazy questions. It does make covering things like the call to prayer for Islam much easier when I can play audio and video of it. It's pretty intense when your hotel is right next to a mosque. Makes me wish the 6th pillar of Islam was naps.

Reactions: huskerfan66
It was a good thread. I've been to Dublin and Edinburgh, but can't really help, but Scotland can be cold that time of year. We stayed at a place called City Roomz that was quite respectable and on the back side of the castle downtown. I don't think it usually shows up on travel sites.

Would like a trip to Thailand, but can't get past the flight duration.

Tell me what you know about a trip this October we want to go on: Munich-Prague-Warsaw-Budapest-Vienna-Salzburg-Innsbruck-Munich loop. Been to Munich a few times, it doesn't do much for us. Only been to Vienna and Salzburg once concerning the other stops.

Might go to Egypt next winter, and booked a 20-day trip to Peru/Amazon/Galapogos already. Working on African Safari next June. Travelzoo had a great deal at a 5 star lodge in South Africa including game drives, for a week: $1,700 for 2. Will look at adding an East Africa safari to the end of that.

Open to suggestions on those trips.
So jealous.

Had a travel thread on the old open board that seemed to be civil and fun to share ideas, tips, advice etc. So I am here asking for advice on 2 upcoming trips. In Dec I am going to Liverpool for a soccer match vs Arsenal then to Dublin then Edinburgh. Liverpool is Dec 21-24, Dublin 24-27, Edinburgh is Dec 27-30. I realize the dates specifically in Dublin will limit my activities. Staying near the the Temple Bar area for those that have been. Edinburgh will be near the old town area.

In June I am looking at flying to Ho Chi Minh and using a travel company to take me from there to Cambodia and ending in Thailand. The tour covers that part but in Thailand looking at Bangkok for a few days, Chiang Mai for a few days and Phuket for a few days. After Phuket plan is to fly to Singapore for 3-4 days. Thailand and Singapore are completely up in the air for things to do so I am open to most suggestions other than the lady boy experience.
Amsterdam a few months ago. Going to go to some place called Mo'orea maybe next year after bills are paid. GF picked it. French Polynesia? My only advice on Thailand. Never stop for a photo OP drunk at 4 am with a lady boy like my idiot buddy suggested. I lost my last 20 bucks out of front pocket from a very skilled pickpocket girl. Guy? 😞 The worst part is he still has photo of me getting robbed.

Best part of Ireland are the small towns, especially dotting the west coast, North and South of Galway. Had way more fun visiting pubs in small towns that I’ll never remember the name of than spending time in Dublin.

In Egypt, if you don’t mind a little risk, have a taxi take you to the pyramids. You’ll be dropped off on the edge of Cairo in a slum, with horses and camels and “tour guides”. We traversed the desert for an hour convinced we were being kidnapped until the pyramids appeared over a sand dune. Climbed halfway up the Great Pyramid before the police came over and about arrested our “tour guide” and asked us to come back down. Was a pretty great experience :)

In Thailand, went to Bangkok once, don’t really care to ever go back (and I was well-behaved). The islands are a different story. Been a couple times and will probably go again. They are incredibly beautiful, and inexpensive. I’d highly recommend Ko Phagnan. You have to fly to Ko Samui in the Gulf, and then take a boat of Phagnan. It’s where the movie “The Beach” was filmed. Famous for Full Moon Parties, which are quite epic. My second trip to Thailand I took my wife to the same island, as I saw a new resort being built on the first trip that I thought looked really nice. Santhiya is the name of the resort on Ko Phagnan. Not sure what the prices are now, but we stayed in an 1,000+ square foot villa with our own private swimming pool for about $200/night. That was about 12 years ago though.

Reactions: HBK4life
Best part of Ireland are the small towns, especially dotting the west coast, North and South of Galway. Had way more fun visiting pubs in small towns that I’ll never remember the name of than spending time in Dublin.

In Egypt, if you don’t mind a little risk, have a taxi take you to the pyramids. You’ll be dropped off on the edge of Cairo in a slum, with horses and camels and “tour guides”. We traversed the desert for an hour convinced we were being kidnapped until the pyramids appeared over a sand dune. Climbed halfway up the Great Pyramid before the police came over and about arrested our “tour guide” and asked us to come back down. Was a pretty great experience :)

In Thailand, went to Bangkok once, don’t really care to ever go back (and I was well-behaved). The islands are a different story. Been a couple times and will probably go again. They are incredibly beautiful, and inexpensive. I’d highly recommend Ko Phagnan. You have to fly to Ko Samui in the Gulf, and then take a boat of Phagnan. It’s where the movie “The Beach” was filmed. Famous for Full Moon Parties, which are quite epic. My second trip to Thailand I took my wife to the same island, as I saw a new resort being built on the first trip that I thought looked really nice. Santhiya is the name of the resort on Ko Phagnan. Not sure what the prices are now, but we stayed in an 1,000+ square foot villa with our own private swimming pool for about $200/night. That was about 12 years ago though.
Pattaya was crazy but dirty. Phuket has the most beautiful beaches in the world. Been trying to get back but the flight is just brutal.

Just moved back to Nebraska a few weeks ago to take care of mom with early dementia. Living arrangements are taken care of for the time being
Looked after my Mom for about 4 years under these circumstances. I couldn't take care of her full-time, so I moved her into a facility near my house. Most challenging thing I've ever done, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

For those that have done the SE Asia locations, have you been to Japan? If so how would you compare them?
Would go back to Japan in a heartbeat and plan to do so. Would like to know how Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam etc compare.

Looked after my Mom for about 4 years under these circumstances. I couldn't take care of her full-time, so I moved her into a facility near my house. Most challenging thing I've ever done, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
She was actually in a long term health place since January and at 16k a month it added up quick. As of now we have a nurse showing up 3x a week and meals on wheels 5x a week so those are little check-ins while I'm not there. Just setting up power of attorney and getting all the financial stuff squared away was a huge hurdle. It's wild though she can remember specific details from 1988 but no recollection of us going to allstate last week for insurance. House is paid off now looking in to getting my name on the deed which I have no clue how to do

She was actually in a long term health place since January and at 16k a month it added up quick. As of now we have a nurse showing up 3x a week and meals on wheels 5x a week so those are little check-ins while I'm not there. Just setting up power of attorney and getting all the financial stuff squared away was a huge hurdle. It's wild though she can remember specific details from 1988 but no recollection of us going to allstate last week for insurance. House is paid off now looking in to getting my name on the deed which I have no clue how to do
Not that it’s any of my business, but do you have siblings?

All me and only me. I am actually the youngest person left in the family by 30 years
That will actually make it less complicated as far as the finances are concerned.

Good on you for taking this on. It will be very rewarding, but in ways that are hard to explain until you live it.

My wife and I are also going through this right now. My father-in-law has been living with us the past five years. In March, it just got too much to where he was soiling himself, forgetting to eat and bathe and even with a nurse and food coming every day at noon to help clean him and check his vitals. It had just gotten to be too much for us. So he is now in a Medicaid facility. It is a sad situation.

Again, not to Pry too much into your personal business, getting a power of attorney before they start to lose their facilities, is the most important thing that can be done. That will allow you to conduct business on their personal accounts and property. Also, the medical power of attorney is extremely important. Trying to get those after they’re no longer of sound mind is virtually impossible. You sound like a smart person, so I am sure you already have that done. I was made aware of it by a coworker when my father-in-law moved in with us. Or I would not have known to do that.

Reactions: schuele
Yeah I am really interested in the killing fields area and Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Meeting a lady friend in Thailand for that portion and Singapore. I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to my food so I am a little worried about that part of the world. I was fine in India until the last day. Picked up a case of Giardia which thankfully didn't kick in until I was back in the States and near my Cipro
I can only speak about my experience in China a few years ago. I didn't want to end up sick so I asked a coworker (middle school history teacher who leads international student trips every year) and followed their recommendations. I brought lots of granola bars. I only drank bottled beverages, and tried to avoid uncooked foods. The hotels we stayed at were huge and had great international breakfasts so I ate there without any problem. We also ate at lots of roadside places - if in doubt I ate rice. The food was very good but certain things I avoided. One roadside place featured rabbit and after seeing them alive on my way to the squat toilets (another discussion - bring lots of hand sanitizer) I avoided that dish. Sorry - I'm a wimp. Of course I didn't make a big deal about it as everyone we met was extremely nice and I didn't want to be that ugly American. I did eat a lot of great food but I just tried to be selective about what I chose.

If I'm not jumping in too late. A Lawyer who specializes in Elder law, to help with all the legal stuff with power of attorney/medical and navigating medicaid. Not cheap, but has saved us some money along the way.

Dad's been in a nursing home for 4 years with Dementia. Mom went through a lot with him, till we finally put him in a nursing home. I moved in with Mom 1 1/2 years ago, to help her stay out of a nursing home as she has one leg in now is the joke.

Medicaid is nasty business, they will take $$$ if it's not nailed down. The lawyer has helped to midigate the $$ loss to Medicaid. Hopefully it will play out better with Mom (time will tell) as they take almost my dad's whole pension.

Good luck

Reactions: schuele
Again, not to Pry too much into your personal business, getting a power of attorney before they start to lose their facilities, is the most important thing that can be done. That will allow you to conduct business on their personal accounts and property. Also, the medical power of attorney is extremely important. Trying to get those after they’re no longer of sound mind is virtually impossible. You sound like a smart person, so I am sure you already have that done. I was made aware of it by a coworker when my father-in-law moved in with us. Or I would not have known to do that.
Yeah luckily she can still bathe herself and putter around the house. She was found in the house last Nov. Had been on the floor for 48+ hours. UTI that went septic. She wasnt eating much and had retired the month before. Anyway while she was at Lakeside she developed a bed sore that progressed to a stage 4 sore that she is still dealing with today. If that was gone, life would be much more comfortable. I have all the powers of attorney nailed down from personal, financial and medical. The issue with the house deed is when she eventually gets put into a care facility she can pay for awhile but I dont want them to come after the house. Its my understanding that I have to be on the deed for 5 years which complicates things. It was literally paid off last month and is valued at around 500k.

I can only speak about my experience in China a few years ago. I didn't want to end up sick so I asked a coworker (middle school history teacher who leads international student trips every year) and followed their recommendations. I brought lots of granola bars. I only drank bottled beverages, and tried to avoid uncooked foods. The hotels we stayed at were huge and had great international breakfasts so I ate there without any problem. We also ate at lots of roadside places - if in doubt I ate rice. The food was very good but certain things I avoided. One roadside place featured rabbit and after seeing them alive on my way to the squat toilets (another discussion - bring lots of hand sanitizer) I avoided that dish. Sorry - I'm a wimp. Of course I didn't make a big deal about it as everyone we met was extremely nice and I didn't want to be that ugly American. I did eat a lot of great food but I just tried to be selective about what I chose.
Last day in India was a 6 hour drive from Jaipur to Dehli to drop me off at the airport. My driver gets a lunch so we stopped at roadside "restaurant" and I got a chicken sandwich and about 36 hours later it was not a pleasant experience. Luckily my Dr pre-prescribed Cipro so I took 2 a day and after about 5 days I was normal again.

Yeah luckily she can still bathe herself and putter around the house. She was found in the house last Nov. Had been on the floor for 48+ hours. UTI that went septic. She wasnt eating much and had retired the month before. Anyway while she was at Lakeside she developed a bed sore that progressed to a stage 4 sore that she is still dealing with today. If that was gone, life would be much more comfortable. I have all the powers of attorney nailed down from personal, financial and medical. The issue with the house deed is when she eventually gets put into a care facility she can pay for awhile but I dont want them to come after the house. Its my understanding that I have to be on the deed for 5 years which complicates things. It was literally paid off last month and is valued at around 500k.
I feel for you mwulf.

Remember that happening to both sets of grandparents. It's usually too late when people think of putting mortgage in a child's name. And then bye-bye house.
Hope it works out for you and your mom.

I believe your right, I'm going on two years with Mom. We got a Dr. On board to write a letter that I'm a child caretaker. She will deed us the house after 2 years, then we'll take over the mortgage and we can avoid the tax hit or something along those lines. So if she does or when she goes in a nursing home, Medicaid can't touch the house cause it will be in our name.

That's kinda the plan, the lawyer laid out for us. Good luck.

So I booked leg 1 of my trip next year and will be flying in comfort over there https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/service/first/seat/suite.html

I will have about 9 hours of a layover to kill in Tokyo. Since I am very limited if you had 1 or 3 things to see in Tokyo what would one recommend? I asked a friend who said to just hang out in the Shibuya district.
Narita or Hineda?

Hineda you can take the monorail to Hammumatscho station in about 30 minutes. Then maybe 15 to Shibuya?
Shibuya is a fun area. Scramble crossing, Hachiko statue. Shops and people galore
Tokyo tower is walking distance from Hammumatscho station. Tokyo SkyTree likely take to long unless you're coming into Narita. It's fairly close to the Asakusa area which is somewhat closer to Narita.
I guess which airport and what are you most interested in? Temples? Food? Sports places? What?

Narita or Hineda?

Hineda you can take the monorail to Hammumatscho station in about 30 minutes. Then maybe 15 to Shibuya?
Shibuya is a fun area. Scramble crossing, Hachiko statue. Shops and people galore
Tokyo tower is walking distance from Hammumatscho station. Tokyo SkyTree likely take to long unless you're coming into Narita. It's fairly close to the Asakusa area which is somewhat closer to Narita.
I guess which airport and what are you most interested in? Temples? Food? Sports places? What?
Haneda Airport. Was also told to take a look at Sensō-ji Temple. I figure I have 4 hours to take in something and get back to the airport

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Haneda Airport. Was also told to take a look at Sensō-ji Temple. I figure I have 4 hours to take in something and get back to the airport
Senso-ji is cool. A nice temple (not as nice as many in Kyoto) but nice. TONS of shops and people along Nakamise-dori which iirc is the street leading up to the temple
Senso-ji is in Asakusa area so you are looking at 45min to an hour maybe total from Haneda?
I liked Senso-ji. Imperial palace is meh and you wouldn't have time for a tour that are limited anyway.
Senso-ji is near Tokyo SkyTree iirc. So you could do both those. Maybe swing back to Shibuya for a bit. Very tasty and affordable places to eat I'd suggest: GoGo Curry, Tendon Tenya (tempura over rice bowls. SO GOOD), any of the Guuydon places (Yoshinoya, Sukiya, and Matsuya maybe?).
Any other suggestions or questions, I'll do my best to answer. Absolutely LOVED trip to Japan.

Senso-ji is cool. A nice temple (not as nice as many in Kyoto) but nice. TONS of shops and people along Nakamise-dori which iirc is the street leading up to the temple
Senso-ji is in Asakusa area so you are looking at 45min to an hour maybe total from Haneda?
I liked Senso-ji. Imperial palace is meh and you wouldn't have time for a tour that are limited anyway.
Senso-ji is near Tokyo SkyTree iirc. So you could do both those. Maybe swing back to Shibuya for a bit. Very tasty and affordable places to eat I'd suggest: GoGo Curry, Tendon Tenya (tempura over rice bowls. SO GOOD), any of the Guuydon places (Yoshinoya, Sukiya, and Matsuya maybe?).
Any other suggestions or questions, I'll do my best to answer. Absolutely LOVED trip to Japan.
I'm just so limited in time. Might be best to start farther away from the airport and work my way back towards

I'm just so limited in time. Might be best to start farther away from the airport and work my way back towards
Senso-ji then backtrack to Shibuya which is a bit of an overshot on Yamanote line, but not too far.
Experience the old of senso-ji and the new with Shibuya. To me that's quintessential Japan. Old and new juxtaposed.

Edited to add, make sure to stop buy at least one (or two) conbini. Preferably Lawson station or 7-11.

Reactions: Mrs HuskerHusaria
Had a travel thread on the old open board that seemed to be civil and fun to share ideas, tips, advice etc. So I am here asking for advice on 2 upcoming trips. In Dec I am going to Liverpool for a soccer match vs Arsenal then to Dublin then Edinburgh. Liverpool is Dec 21-24, Dublin 24-27, Edinburgh is Dec 27-30. I realize the dates specifically in Dublin will limit my activities. Staying near the the Temple Bar area for those that have been. Edinburgh will be near the old town area.

In June I am looking at flying to Ho Chi Minh and using a travel company to take me from there to Cambodia and ending in Thailand. The tour covers that part but in Thailand looking at Bangkok for a few days, Chiang Mai for a few days and Phuket for a few days. After Phuket plan is to fly to Singapore for 3-4 days. Thailand and Singapore are completely up in the air for things to do so I am open to most suggestions other than the lady boy experience.
Strongly consider Edinburgh for New Years Eve. Epic adventure. Study it a bit, and you’ll understand.

Also, I’d recommend the west coast of Ireland over Dublin if your logistics allow.

So I booked leg 1 of my trip next year and will be flying in comfort over there https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/service/first/seat/suite.html

I will have about 9 hours of a layover to kill in Tokyo. Since I am very limited if you had 1 or 3 things to see in Tokyo what would one recommend? I asked a friend who said to just hang out in the Shibuya district.
I can't believe how few miles it took you to get that. We did luck into a free upgrade on Delta One our last European trip. Fantastic, but I'm not going to pony up real money for it. I guess I'm just a poor.

I can't believe how few miles it took you to get that. We did luck into a free upgrade on Delta One our last European trip. Fantastic, but I'm not going to pony up real money for it. I guess I'm just a poor.
Yeah 110k miles. Ive flown 1st -Business from Dehli for 70k, from Cairo for 65k and last year from Prague for 54k. All American. It seems United is a much steeper miles requirement. But if its gonna be about 19 hours of flying of rather do it laying down, plus the check-in process is so much easier.

Just got back from Liverpool, Wales, Ireland, N. Ireland and Edinburgh. Can't say enough great things about Edinburgh. Ireland was tough because the country shut down but was able to see the Cliffs still. Liverpool was for a soccer match. Made a quick trip to Wrexham because it was so close. The wind flying over there was bigly unpleasant.

Quick hockey trip next week to Grand Forks for UNO North Dakota then head up for Winnipeg Flyers.

SE Asia in June

Link for those who like to look at travel pictures

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT