ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Travel....again

mwulf

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2013
Thigh Land
Had a travel thread on the old open board that seemed to be civil and fun to share ideas, tips, advice etc. So I am here asking for advice on 2 upcoming trips. In Dec I am going to Liverpool for a soccer match vs Arsenal then to Dublin then Edinburgh. Liverpool is Dec 21-24, Dublin 24-27, Edinburgh is Dec 27-30. I realize the dates specifically in Dublin will limit my activities. Staying near the the Temple Bar area for those that have been. Edinburgh will be near the old town area.

In June I am looking at flying to Ho Chi Minh and using a travel company to take me from there to Cambodia and ending in Thailand. The tour covers that part but in Thailand looking at Bangkok for a few days, Chiang Mai for a few days and Phuket for a few days. After Phuket plan is to fly to Singapore for 3-4 days. Thailand and Singapore are completely up in the air for things to do so I am open to most suggestions other than the lady boy experience.

Dublin - skip the Guinness brewery. Gotta see the cliffs of moher. Go hang out at the temple bar one night. The women in Dublin are insanely hot.. you could say I was Dublin

Reactions: Laner2
Dublin - skip the Guinness brewery. Gotta see the cliffs of moher. Go hang out at the temple bar one night. The women in Dublin are insanely hot.. you could say I was Dublin
Problem with any Dublin related activities are the dates we are there. Dec 24-26 really limits the options. Didnt want to be stuck in Liverpool or Manchester over Christmas so made a side trip to Dublin since its so close.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Had a travel thread on the old open board that seemed to be civil and fun to share ideas, tips, advice etc. So I am here asking for advice on 2 upcoming trips. In Dec I am going to Liverpool for a soccer match vs Arsenal then to Dublin then Edinburgh. Liverpool is Dec 21-24, Dublin 24-27, Edinburgh is Dec 27-30. I realize the dates specifically in Dublin will limit my activities. Staying near the the Temple Bar area for those that have been. Edinburgh will be near the old town area.

In June I am looking at flying to Ho Chi Minh and using a travel company to take me from there to Cambodia and ending in Thailand. The tour covers that part but in Thailand looking at Bangkok for a few days, Chiang Mai for a few days and Phuket for a few days. After Phuket plan is to fly to Singapore for 3-4 days. Thailand and Singapore are completely up in the air for things to do so I am open to most suggestions other than the lady boy experience.
It was a good thread. I've been to Dublin and Edinburgh, but can't really help, but Scotland can be cold that time of year. We stayed at a place called City Roomz that was quite respectable and on the back side of the castle downtown. I don't think it usually shows up on travel sites.

Would like a trip to Thailand, but can't get past the flight duration.

Tell me what you know about a trip this October we want to go on: Munich-Prague-Warsaw-Budapest-Vienna-Salzburg-Innsbruck-Munich loop. Been to Munich a few times, it doesn't do much for us. Only been to Vienna and Salzburg once concerning the other stops.

Might go to Egypt next winter, and booked a 20-day trip to Peru/Amazon/Galapogos already. Working on African Safari next June. Travelzoo had a great deal at a 5 star lodge in South Africa including game drives, for a week: $1,700 for 2. Will look at adding an East Africa safari to the end of that.

Open to suggestions on those trips.

No help for you.

Interested to hear Dublin/Ireland thoughts as my wife wants to go there.

Been to SEAsia or first time? May I ask why? Culture, historical sites, food, adventure? Good thing you said no lady boys as that's the first thing I think of when someone says they are going to Thailand or near. "Oh, weirdo freak likes banging possibly underage he/she's".

We were at Cliffs of Moher, and I didn't like how commercial/busy it was. In nicer weather, if you have a car, go to Brandon Point on the north end of Dingle Peninsula. Narrow road, but at the end of it, it is similar to Cliffs of Moher, except practically no people. Not any walking paths, but just the cliffs and crashing waves on them.

No help for you.

Been to SEAsia or first time? May I ask why? Culture, historical sites, food, adventure? Good thing you said no lady boys as that's the first thing I think of when someone says they are going to Thailand or near. "Oh, weirdo freak likes banging possibly underage he/she's".
I don't know about any of that, but I know people that went and loved it. Very inexpensive and great service like Vietnam.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Just moved back to Nebraska a few weeks ago to take care of mom with early dementia. Living arrangements are taken care of for the time being
you're abandoning her over Christmas?

No help for you.

Yeah I am really interested in the killing fields area and Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Meeting a lady friend in Thailand for that portion and Singapore. I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to my food so I am a little worried about that part of the world. I was fine in India until the last day. Picked up a case of Giardia which thankfully didn't kick in until I was back in the States and near my Cipro

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
It was a good thread. I've been to Dublin and Edinburgh, but can't really help, but Scotland can be cold that time of year. We stayed at a place called City Roomz that was quite respectable and on the back side of the castle downtown. I don't think it usually shows up on travel sites.

Would like a trip to Thailand, but can't get past the flight duration.

Tell me what you know about a trip this October we want to go on: Munich-Prague-Warsaw-Budapest-Vienna-Salzburg-Innsbruck-Munich loop. Been to Munich a few times, it doesn't do much for us. Only been to Vienna and Salzburg once concerning the other stops.

Might go to Egypt next winter, and booked a 20-day trip to Peru/Amazon/Galapogos already. Working on African Safari next June. Travelzoo had a great deal at a 5 star lodge in South Africa including game drives, for a week: $1,700 for 2. Will look at adding an East Africa safari to the end of that.

Open to suggestions on those trips.
Prague is probably my favorite place in Europe. It's what I thought Europe was in my mind. The old town castle quarter areas are so cool. Very cheap Pilsners all over too. Budapest reminded me of Prague in how it was split by the river. Found it to be very inexpensive too. I liked the palace in Vienna but it felt a bit too fancy overall as a city. Have heard Salzburg and Innsbrook are outstanding from a scenery point. If you have been to Munich a few times maybe look for something like a tour of the 72 Olympic village type deal. No clue if that even exists. Dachau is also worth a stop of you haven't. I did Egypt in 2017 as an add on because I could fly back 1st/business from Cairo to the states. Found a 3 day guided tour of the pyramids, museums, churches, markets etc. Just be careful being there on a Friday. Getting to Alexandria or Luxor would be worth your time. In Cairo we did stay at a pretty nice place right on the Nile. Link https://all.accor.com/hotel/5307/index.en.shtml

They were able to arrange a handler of sorts that got us through Customs then to and from the airport. Saved a potential headache

As far as the long travel times if you can use airline miles do it. Or at least book an exit row on the long legs. I am flying from Omaha to Ho Chi Minh for 70k miles and that gives me first/ business the whole way. That bed isn't quite long enough for me but I'm not gonna complain about my bed on a 12 hour flight. Lounge access is another perk. Don't knock am airport shower until you have tried it. Unbelievably refreshing

My favorite city in Europe carcasonne, France. Worth a trip for anyone that plans to visit Barcelona or Paris.

Edinburgh is a great city! The castle is cool, I spent a week there with my family. We drove out to Rosslyn church. Took the kids to the William Wallace monument and Sterling castle, did a day trip to Doune castle where Monty Python’s was filmed. The kids galloped around the castle banging coconuts like they did in the movie. Did a day trip and drove up to Edradour and Blair Athol whisky distilleries, which was fun for me, not so much for the kids! Wish I had time to play a round at St. Andrews, but you probably won’t have weather for that anyway.

I’ve only been to Da Nang and Hoi An, so can’t help with Saigon. I’ve been to Cambodia a couple of times. Did a day in Phnom Penh and saw the killing fields. The story is incredible, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to see the memorial. I’d spend all my time in Siem Reap and see the temples around Angkor Wat. I’ve been there twice and would go back again. It’s incredible! For Thailand, I jumped on a bus and went to Ayutthaya and spent a day there. Also went to Ang Thong to see this big Buddha out in the middle of nowhere at Wat Muang. It was kind of cool, but I was just trying to get out of Bangkok for a couple of days and do something else than wander around the city. Reclining Buddha and grand palace are cool to see, just don’t get suckered into a tuk-tuk and taken around to jewelry and suit shops! There are some really nice rooftop bars in Bangkok, and everything is so cheap you’ll feel like a king when you’re there. Some of the best diving I’ve done is around Phi Phi Island if you’re into that. My wife and I spent a couple of nights in Phuket. Didn’t bother with the beaches because we took a boat to Phi Phi Island and stayed there. James Bond island is a cool day trip from Phuket. My wife liked going to Maya Bay and taking pictures, but it was packed and not that much fun. Snorkeling on the backside was cool though, saw a few white tipped reef sharks.

Singapore is nice, the food is incredible. Hard to find a bad meal in that city. My wife likes Singapore more than I do because it’s great for shopping. Not a lot of tourist things to do. I think we went to Raffles hotel for a Singapore sling. Took the family to Marina Bay Sands and stayed there a few nights so we could all check out the infinity pool at the top. I think I ended up taking my kids on the night safari there. (It’s been about 10 years since we were there last).

Edinburgh is a great city! The castle is cool, I spent a week there with my family. We drove out to Rosslyn church. Took the kids to the William Wallace monument and Sterling castle, did a day trip to Doune castle where Monty Python’s was filmed. The kids galloped around the castle banging coconuts like they did in the movie. Did a day trip and drove up to Edradour and Blair Athol whisky distilleries, which was fun for me, not so much for the kids! Wish I had time to play a round at St. Andrews, but you probably won’t have weather for that anyway.

I’ve only been to Da Nang and Hoi An, so can’t help with Saigon. I’ve been to Cambodia a couple of times. Did a day in Phnom Penh and saw the killing fields. The story is incredible, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to see the memorial. I’d spend all my time in Siem Reap and see the temples around Angkor Wat. I’ve been there twice and would go back again. It’s incredible! For Thailand, I jumped on a bus and went to Ayutthaya and spent a day there. Also went to Ang Thong to see this big Buddha out in the middle of nowhere at Wat Muang. It was kind of cool, but I was just trying to get out of Bangkok for a couple of days and do something else than wander around the city. Reclining Buddha and grand palace are cool to see, just don’t get suckered into a tuk-tuk and taken around to jewelry and suit shops! There are some really nice rooftop bars in Bangkok, and everything is so cheap you’ll feel like a king when you’re there. Some of the best diving I’ve done is around Phi Phi Island if you’re into that. My wife and I spent a couple of nights in Phuket. Didn’t bother with the beaches because we took a boat to Phi Phi Island and stayed there. James Bond island is a cool day trip from Phuket. My wife liked going to Maya Bay and taking pictures, but it was packed and not that much fun. Snorkeling on the backside was cool though, saw a few white tipped reef sharks.

Singapore is nice, the food is incredible. Hard to find a bad meal in that city. My wife likes Singapore more than I do because it’s great for shopping. Not a lot of tourist things to do. I think we went to Raffles hotel for a Singapore sling. Took the family to Marina Bay Sands and stayed there a few nights so we could all check out the infinity pool at the top. I think I ended up taking my kids on the night safari there. (It’s been about 10 years since we were there last).
The Phi Phi Island thing sounds awesome. Would you recommend that over Phuket? Where did you stay?

Last edited:

Lame. Wear a mask. I'm sure you will

The Phi Phi Island thing sounds awesome. Would you recommend that over Phuket? Where did you stay?
I would personally recommend Phi Phi islands over Phuket, especially if you’re looking a more laid back vibe. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort, which looks like it’s been bought out and renamed. Ton Sai beach area has more to do and more food options. It’s more of a backpacker town, but lots of boats leave from there for day tours.

I would also consider Koh Samui over Phuket. It’s a little less crazy than Phuket and has some really nice resorts.

Prague is probably my favorite place in Europe. It's what I thought Europe was in my mind. The old town castle quarter areas are so cool. Very cheap Pilsners all over too. Budapest reminded me of Prague in how it was split by the river. Found it to be very inexpensive too. I liked the palace in Vienna but it felt a bit too fancy overall as a city. Have heard Salzburg and Innsbrook are outstanding from a scenery point. If you have been to Munich a few times maybe look for something like a tour of the 72 Olympic village type deal. No clue if that even exists. Dachau is also worth a stop of you haven't. I did Egypt in 2017 as an add on because I could fly back 1st/business from Cairo to the states. Found a 3 day guided tour of the pyramids, museums, churches, markets etc. Just be careful being there on a Friday. Getting to Alexandria or Luxor would be worth your time. In Cairo we did stay at a pretty nice place right on the Nile. Link https://all.accor.com/hotel/5307/index.en.shtml

They were able to arrange a handler of sorts that got us through Customs then to and from the airport. Saved a potential headache

As far as the long travel times if you can use airline miles do it. Or at least book an exit row on the long legs. I am flying from Omaha to Ho Chi Minh for 70k miles and that gives me first/ business the whole way. That bed isn't quite long enough for me but I'm not gonna complain about my bed on a 12 hour flight. Lounge access is another perk. Don't knock am airport shower until you have tried it. Unbelievably refreshing
We might skip Vienna entirely. Been to Dachau before. We enjoyed riding bikes in English Gardens last time there, but overall, Munich is pretty cosmopolitan, not our preference. We did tour the Olympic grounds also, which I liked. Thanks for the tips.

What is your occupation if I might ask? You've probably said that in some point in time . Your travel stories are interesting

I read this travel article that this dude wrote about traveling through Europe in the 90's.

Dude said the "commie" countries were gray and old and the people looked sad and pale...

He said the rest of it was amazing.

I read this travel article that this dude wrote about traveling through Europe in the 90's.

Dude said the "commie" countries were gray and old and the people looked sad and pale...

He said the rest of it was amazing.
I was in Lithuania in 05 and there was a ton of the old Soviet era buildings. Just enormous rectangles with zero charm. Saw more of it in Moscow and St Petersburg which is ironic because the subway stations were pretty amazing.

I was in Lithuania in 05 and there was a ton of the old Soviet era buildings. Just enormous rectangles with zero charm. Saw more of it in Moscow and St Petersburg which is ironic because the subway stations were pretty amazing.
I wish I could find it again it was an amazing recap of the dudes summer vacation. He said he never should have left Sweden (I think that is where he started and ended), he said it was bright and modern and the people looked happy and tan and alive...

I wish I could find it again it was an amazing recap of the dudes summer vacation. He said he never should have left Sweden (I think that is where he started and ended), he said it was bright and modern and the people looked happy and tan and alive...
Scandavians in general seem to be the happiest and healthiest in the world. That being said the 20 hours of daylight and darkness (probably an exaggeration) would be tough to handle

Reactions: Mrs HuskerHusaria
East Berlin has the same feel.

I'd rather not say since I'm back in Neb. I did 6 years in Texas (Killeen) 17 years in LA so it will be an adjustment for me for certain
Was it easy to get hired back here? Like, did you end up having your pick of offers?

Scandavians in general seem to be the happiest and healthiest in the world. That being said the 20 hours of daylight and darkness (probably an exaggeration) would be tough to handle
Does Finland still have a super high suicide rate?

Was it easy to get hired back here? Like, did you end up having your pick of offers?
It was not. I had applied at a ton of districts except OPS. Anyway applied and heard nothing for months. Not even the position has been filled email. Then on a Monday in April I got a call from HR asking me if I had signed a contract anywhere and if I hadn't would I be interested in interviewing. So I did a zoom interview on a Tuesday morning and was offered a job Tuesday afternoon. Dumb luck but I'll take it. Luckily they took all my post masters hours on the salary scale so I am maxed out. No paycheck or health insurance from July to Sept is a bummer but so be it.

Does Finland still have a super high suicide rate?
Honestly not sure. Just reading their language would be enough to make me contemplate it. Was in Helsinki for 4 days and it felt like 3.5 too many. It was very clean and their street performers were small orchestras so that was pleasant

It was not. I had applied at a ton of districts except OPS. Anyway applied and heard nothing for months. Not even the position has been filled email. Then on a Monday in April I got a call from HR asking me if I had signed a contract anywhere and if I hadn't would I be interested in interviewing. So I did a zoom interview on a Tuesday morning and was offered a job Tuesday afternoon. Dumb luck but I'll take it. Luckily they took all my post masters hours on the salary scale so I am maxed out. No paycheck or health insurance from July to Sept is a bummer but so be it.
When did you start applying?

The online application process sucks.

I had applied to EPS like 5 times...Finally just to see I applied for a 1/2 position, which are impossible to fill. I did not get an interview so I emailed the HR dork and asked him what they were looking for...and of course I got this lamedick answer of like "Oh ummmm, we lool for lots of things, like ummm, well, just lots of different factors"

When did you start applying?

The online application process sucks.

I had applied to EPS like 5 times...Finally just to see I applied for a 1/2 position, which are impossible to fill. I did not get an interview so I emailed the HR dork and asked him what they were looking for...and of course I got this lamedick answer of like "Oh ummmm, we lool for lots of things, like ummm, well, just lots of different factors"
In early December

Reactions: SuperBigFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT