ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best heavyweight boxers

Sonny Liston was the Sham to Ali's Secretariat. Sham would've been an all-time great had he not been foaled the same year as Secretariat. I feel similarly about Liston, guy was an absolute beast but ran into the greatest. Had I won that 2 billion dollar lotto you best believe I'd clone Sham and win the Triple Crown with Sham 2 'Lectric Boogaloo.
Sonny Liston....No mob involvement. Could have been top 5.

Reactions: cornhustler
And didn’t Buster retire after that. I remember people believing Buster was suppose to take a Dive in that fight and didn’t , King ( promoter ) came unglued and ran into the middle of the screaming … everyone knew then that boxing under King was rigged.

Maybe someone recalls that better than I

And didn’t Buster retire after that. I remember people believing Buster was suppose to take a Dive in that fight and didn’t , King ( promoter ) came unglued and ran into the middle of the screaming … everyone knew then that boxing under King was rigged.

Maybe someone recalls that better than I
Buster fought Holyfield after that and got destroyed.

Reactions: moralvictories
Wished Tyson would not have fallen so hard, so fast. We'll never know how great he could have been. Losing Cus when he did derailed his shot to be a top 10 fighter but the weird thing is had he had Cus for several more years I wonder if he could have been the best ever....and IDK that answer.....I do know he fell off a cliff faster than I've ever seen an athlete fall.

Loved gathering with my buds during his reign to watch three minutes of boxing....haha. But we always watched.

Totally agree. Tyson got messed up when he lost Cus and Don King took over. I have never seen anyone throw a punch as ferociously as Tyson. I still think he could have been one of the all time greats. His drama and mismanagement killed him.

No mention of Tonya Harding?

tonya.jpg

Ali was imprisoned just when hitting his prime. If he fought those 3 years, it would have been awesome and his record would be insane. But his legend grew from what he overcame…getting older/slower away from the sport and STILL rising to the top again. Had he not been removed, the trilogy w/ Frazier probably would’ve have happened b/c a prime Ali would’ve beaten him in that first match (probably pretty easily too).
Ali is #1 and that’s w/o seeing those prime years…

Ali was imprisoned just when hitting his prime. If he fought those 3 years, it would have been awesome and his record would be insane. But his legend grew from what he overcame…getting older/slower away from the sport and STILL rising to the top again. Had he not been removed, the trilogy w/ Frazier probably would’ve have happened b/c a prime Ali would’ve beaten him in that first match (probably pretty easily too).
Ummmm, Tyson too?

Mike was beating grown up ass men when he was 18.

Tyson is the best heavyweight ever and it really is not even close.

There is this weird idea that he did not beat anyone but that is because there was no one that was close to him.

For Ali, there was nothing easy about Joe Frazier, those fights were wars and Ali did not come through them with flying colors.

Tyson is actually hurt because he was the first really famous/TV boxer...he got so popular because of that

Ummmm, Tyson too?

There is this weird idea that he did not beat anyone but that is because there was no one that was close to him.
No way was Tyson even close to the best ever. He even admitted he could have never beaten Lewis.

Tyson was tailor made for a younger George Foreman.

Although he was smaller, Sam Langford fought all the way up to heavyweight and was one of the best P4P all-time. You don’t hear his name mentioned much though.

Liston would be ranked higher if he had been given the opportunity to fight for the title in his prime. He was probably in his mid 30's, maybe older, when he lost to Ali. Underated boxer, with arguably the hardest jab in heavyweight history.

Reactions: TOMHP
Liston would be ranked higher if he had been given the opportunity to fight for the title in his prime. He was probably in his mid 30's, maybe older, when he lost to Ali. Underated boxer, with arguably the hardest jab in heavyweight history.
The list is Ali and Joe Louis and then everybody else. Clear cut top 2.

Tyson and Liston are two guys maybe at the back end of the top 10 for their career. But in their prime, Tyson, Liston, and Louis are guys that you wouldn't have wanted to face if you valued your health.

Top 5. Would probably toss in Forman, Holmes, and Marciano with Ali and Louis. Then probably, Dempsy, Frasier, Tyson, and Liston in a group after that.

Reactions: Chuck003
The list is Ali and Joe Louis and then everybody else. Clear cut top 2.

Tyson and Liston are two guys maybe at the back end of the top 10 for their career. But in their prime, Tyson, Liston, and Louis are guys that you wouldn't have wanted to face if you valued your health.

Top 5. Would probably toss in Forman, Holmes, and Marciano with Ali and Louis. Then probably, Dempsy, Frasier, Tyson, and Liston in a group after that.
You're all wet. In nobody's world would Larry Holmes be mentioned. If you don't have Lennox Lewis in there your knowledge of boxing is limited. Guys like Liston, Marciano, Tyson wouldn't last 5 rounds with a young Foreman, cause they were tailor made for him.

Two great champions, both Ali and Foreman insist that Ernie Shavers was the hardest puncher they ever fought. Shavers isn't recognized as an all time great, but when he hit them, they went to sleep.

Boxing will always be about styles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck003
Ummmm, Tyson too?

Tyson didn't beat any of the top fighters of his era. Don't believe the hype.

Ummmm, Tyson too?

He lost to Danny Mcbride and some dude named Williams. Best ever? Cmon, man.

Tyson and Liston could have been 1 and 2. They never had a chance the way they lived and were brought up. Kind of sad really.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT