ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beautiful foggy morning this morning.

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
I headed out to the "ranch" before sunup to check heifers this morning. I expected after hearing rain on the roof last night to be greeting by a soupy mess. Instead it was just damp and eerily pretty with the fog. I needed to fill a water tank and rather than go do some other work for 15 minutes I sat down on a board fence and just soaked it all in. The robins and meadowlarks are back. Man when I hear a Meadowlark in the spring, life is good. The robins were joyfully chirping I'm sure finding some worms after the shower last night. Then there was a lone goose honking to my south. I couldn't see it but it was probably a hundred yards or so off. A little later it was a couple of ducks I suppose sitting on a pond half a mile south. My cows were quiet but off a couple of miles to the north I could hear a cow bawling I would assume for a sleepy calf that was out of her eyesight.

Some people pay thousands of dollars for therapy. I would suggest that a walk out to a place away from TV, radio and humans and their senseless bickering is money better spent. And if you happen to have a place to keep a few cows make sure they're ones you can feed an ear of corn out of your hand to and scratch on the back. They'll help you forget your worries about the world's problem if only for a few minutes. Enjoy the day folks and get right with your maker. You never know when your card will get punched. I've told my wife and friends many times that IF I tip over out checking cows in the spring when the meadowlarks are singing, I'll be a happy camper. Just get the neighbor to bring his loader over, dig a hole, roll me in it and cover me up. One time though my wife headed for the door after I had said it. I said "hey where are you going?" She said, "I'm going to get the neighbor?"Eek

Yes it was, some morning around here you can hear the turkeys or a meadow lark and in the distance you’ll something hear a pheasant rooster. I agree, for years I was dealing with more cow calves than people. Probably why I get to political just not used to dealing with people. Btw where might your ranch be? Close proximity

Yes it was, some morning around here you can hear the turkeys or a meadow lark and in the distance you’ll something hear a pheasant rooster. I agree, for years I was dealing with more cow calves than people. Probably why I get to political just not used to dealing with people. Btw where might your ranch be? Close proximity
A fer piece North of Oblivion and about 40 miles South of the Mitchell SD Cabela's store.

I headed out to the "ranch" before sunup to check heifers this morning. I expected after hearing rain on the roof last night to be greeting by a soupy mess. Instead it was just damp and eerily pretty with the fog. I needed to fill a water tank and rather than go do some other work for 15 minutes I sat down on a board fence and just soaked it all in. The robins and meadowlarks are back. Man when I hear a Meadowlark in the spring, life is good. The robins were joyfully chirping I'm sure finding some worms after the shower last night. Then there was a lone goose honking to my south. I couldn't see it but it was probably a hundred yards or so off. A little later it was a couple of ducks I suppose sitting on a pond half a mile south. My cows were quiet but off a couple of miles to the north I could hear a cow bawling I would assume for a sleepy calf that was out of her eyesight.

Some people pay thousands of dollars for therapy. I would suggest that a walk out to a place away from TV, radio and humans and their senseless bickering is money better spent. And if you happen to have a place to keep a few cows make sure they're ones you can feed an ear of corn out of your hand to and scratch on the back. They'll help you forget your worries about the world's problem if only for a few minutes. Enjoy the day folks and get right with your maker. You never know when your card will get punched. I've told my wife and friends many times that IF I tip over out checking cows in the spring when the meadowlarks are singing, I'll be a happy camper. Just get the neighbor to bring his loader over, dig a hole, roll me in it and cover me up. One time though my wife headed for the door after I had said it. I said "hey where are you going?" She said, "I'm going to get the neighbor?"Eek
I like your wife.Laughing

Reactions: dinglefritz
I like your wife.Laughing
Lots of people do. As a matter of fact, thousands of people do. I asked her one time when she was working me over, "So why DID you marry me anyway?" She said with a digusted look on her face, " I thought you had money." :oops: She was kind of a big deal on the UNL Campus and as cheap as I was I would fork over a hundred bucks on a dinner date with her. Trust me it was all student loan money because I was dead broke.

Hoping to head to our cabin on the Missouri River next week. I agree about the therapy comment, that's why we want to go, cut wood, go boating and fishing. The Nebraska-South Dakota border in the Sandhills is beautiful country.

I once took the ferry across the river in my car where the bridge is now many moons ago. Heap big canoe.
That bridge was a tough sell, being in such a sparsely populated area. But I'm sure it's helped some towns and businesses to the north and south survive.

That bridge was a tough sell, being in such a sparsely populated area. But I'm sure it's helped some towns and businesses to the north and south survive.
It's a lifeline to some degree to Niobrara IMO. There was a whole bunch of turf to cover if you wanted to go around to see someone on the other side of the river. It's a trade route and usually the economic impact of a bridge like the one at Running Water is tough to measure.

Reactions: Lincoln gopher

It was so foggy here this morning I didn't check the cow calving pasture until about 10 AM. By that time the fog had lifted enough that atleast I could see a cow and a calf without running over it with the 4 wheeler. Downside was it had started to drizzle and the bi bluestem was completely soaked... therefore so was I!!

But you're right. Cows with newborn calves, the robins, the Cardinals etc make it worth getting out of bed. The fresh pot of coffee back at the house made me feel good to while drying out and warming up

went to our family cabin on the Platte this past weekend to do some spring cleanup and was the best thing I could have done for some peace of mind. Havent turned the water on yet due to the cold temps so am not ready to stay out there yet. Looks forward to some time away from things in the coming weeks.

I know your area well. Have spent countless days hunting the river between Running Water and Santee/Springfield. Have hunted turkeys for decades near Niobrara and will be there again in about 3 weeks.

This morning I enjoyed a 9 mile run in the Loess Hills...misty...foggy and all alone. Saw a rooster pheasant, big Tom turkey and 8 deer. Yep...even when the world falls apart one can find these little slices of peace and calm! Great post!

I know your area well. Have spent countless days hunting the river between Running Water and Santee/Springfield. Have hunted turkeys for decades near Niobrara and will be there again in about 3 weeks.

This morning I enjoyed a 9 mile run in the Loess Hills...misty...foggy and all alone. Saw a rooster pheasant, big Tom turkey and 8 deer. Yep...even when the world falls apart one can find these little slices of peace and calm! Great post!
How many "wild" turkeys do you want. I've got about 40 of them strutting and scratching in my front yard right now. Damned things tear the hell out of my grass to make dust beds on the south side of my spruce trees and drag in Canada thistle in their droppings and on their feathers. Nuisance. I could live all year on turkey meat with my low velocity "quiet" .22 shells I think. I don't think the neighbors would mind.

Reactions: ktsoccertk
Everything is in bloom here in Los Angeles. Sunny and 65 degrees today after a heavy bout of rain last night.

I've been taking hour long walks in our neighborhood with my 1 year old daughter, our dog, and my pregnant wife when she isn't working remotely. We switch off watching her during the day, 3 hours on and 3 hours off.

Today she took her first poop in the toilet.

Not saying it's been easy, because my productivity has dropped about as much as the market, which I try to avoid looking at, and there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the birth of our second child this summer. Also, there were 128 new cases of corona virus in LA today, twice as many as yesterday, and two deaths.

Have to keep it all in perspective.

How many "wild" turkeys do you want. I've got about 40 of them strutting and scratching in my front yard right now. Damned things tear the hell out of my grass to make dust beds on the south side of my spruce trees and drag in Canada thistle in their droppings and on their feathers. Nuisance. I could live all year on turkey meat with my low velocity "quiet" .22 shells I think. I don't think the neighbors would mind.
That’s what a neighbor of mine did, shot one with a .22 cleaned cooked and feasted all in a day

Reactions: huskerfan66

If you weren’t in SD I’d volunteer to assist you in your quest to eliminate a few of the turkeys!

True story...after a morning hunt we drove to Verdigre for lunch. We were dressed in camo and another old guy who was eating asked if we were turkey hunting. We replied we were. He simply said, “Kill every one of the bastards you see.” I asked why the attitude. He said while driving to work one day a turkey flew across the highway and took out his windshield. He had it fixed while he was at work then on his way home another turkey flew across the highway and took out his new windshield! Yep...he had little love of wild turkeys!

If you weren’t in SD I’d volunteer to assist you in your quest to eliminate a few of the turkeys!

True story...after a morning hunt we drove to Verdigre for lunch. We were dressed in camo and another old guy who was eating asked if we were turkey hunting. We replied we were. He simply said, “Kill every one of the bastards you see.” I asked why the attitude. He said while driving to work one day a turkey flew across the highway and took out his windshield. He had it fixed while he was at work then on his way home another turkey flew across the highway and took out his new windshield! Yep...he had little love of wild turkeys!
The toms take turns attacking their own reflection in my lower level patio door. Then when they get done doing that they crap all over my sidewalks, deck and driveway. I actually got annexed in to my town's city limits so legally I can't shoot any guns.:cool:

The toms take turns attacking their own reflection in my lower level patio door. Then when they get done doing that they crap all over my sidewalks, deck and driveway. I actually got annexed in to my town's city limits so legally I can't shoot any guns.:cool:

Those sub-sonic .22s are pretty nice for eliminating pests. Sometimes a guy just has to protect his property! :)

Reactions: dinglefritz
Those sub-sonic .22s are pretty nice for eliminating pests. Sometimes a guy just has to protect his property! :)
about a year and a half ago I had a male Cardinal that would start before sunrise every morning attacking his reflection in the window next to my bedroom window. That would go on all day until the sun went down. I put up with it all summer. A birder friend had told me it would quit when mating season ended. Well finally one late summer Sunday morning at about 6 am I had had enough. I went and got my 20 guage, walked out on the deck in my boxers and dropped his ass as he flew away from me. Do you realize how loud a 20 gauge shot off of a deck at 6 am on a Sunday morning is? I hurried inside and hid the gun.

I once took the ferry across the river in my car where the bridge is now many moons ago. Heap big canoe.

Ahhhh, that brings back some fun memories. Made for a nice, cheap day trip for my folks way back in the day (but didn't realize until I was much older). Take a scenic drive to Niobrara. Me and my two brothers would skip rocks into the Missouri while waiting for the ferry to arrive. After the ferry trip, we would stop for ice cream. A good way to spend a Sunday afternoon back in the day.

Been fishing thousands of times, but there are two times I remember quite clearly, or foggily.
Both times, different lakes, but the fog was so thick, by 50 feet from shore, it's all there was.

In both instances, I caught fish,which was nice, but being totally surrounded by fog in a boat on the lake is special.

Hook them up with limu emu and sell tickets

I could get a few with my bow and no one would know a thing!

I could get a few with my bow and no one would know a thing!
A kid I know shot a mountain lion with a bow that was almost that big down on Lewis and Clark Lake. The picture of him trying to hold that thing up was impressive. He's a big guy and he had it around the chest to hold it up. It's head was level with him and it's ass was damn near dragging on the ground. They said it weighed around 250.

Reactions: bluenrg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT