ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands/Artists I should like but I don't and I keep it on the DL...

For me, the big three the Beatles, U2, and Pearl Jam. I fully acknowledge that they are all very talented, and understand why others may like them, but have always found them incredibly annoying.

I really don't understand this. Nobody gave a damn about this album for 30+ years and now all of a sudden it's a masterpiece. I think it says a lot about the current state of music - "when pygmies cast such long shadows it must be very late in the day".
NO NO......I listened the wax off that album when it came out, and still love it to death!

I saw some music doc explaining the genius of Jimmie Page and Led Zeppelin in general. I don't know music other than what I like, but they explained that Jimmie Page basically lead the band and the true genius was John Bonham and John Paul Jones having to play out of sequence or something and somehow matching every twelve bars. I don't know. Music nerds would probably know what I am talking about. They explained how this is never done and next to impossible to do. Yet they did it in a ton of their music.

Oh, Bonham took the drum kit to an entirely different level for rock music, IMO. What always impressed me was his footwork. He was quicker with a single kick pedal than many that played with a double kick. But he was technically so sound too. He was influenced by jazz drummers, who are about the best in the drumming business, IMO.

He puts Keith Moon to shame, and honestly there are many high school drummers that put Keith Moon to shame. IMO he (Moon) put a ton of energy into his drumming, but he was technically very ordinary. Even less than ordinary to me. One of the most overrated drummers in the history of rock music. As far as his theatrics, he was very entertaining, but as far as drumming, he wasn't even remotely in the same class as Bonzo.

I think you're talking about Cashmere or Black Dog, where Bonham was playing a different time signature than Page and Jones. They synced up every 12 counts, because Bonzo was playing in 4/4 time and Page and Jones were in 3/4 I believe. Very cool stuff. My favorites of his drum beats is still Good Times, Bad Times, where he used triplets on the kick drum.

This video is very interesting and explains what you're talking about...

NO NO......I listened the wax off that album when it came out, and still love it to death!

I always like saying that I listened to an album so much that it left grooves in the album. :D I know...I've always been corny.

I honestly don't know if Prince is an exceptional guitar player or not. I play bass and drums, so I truly don't know.

Maroon 5 is another band in that Matchbox 20 league of horrible music that is nearly unbearable to listen to.
As a bass player, go listen to some Victor Wooten (solo or in Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) and weep at how Godly he is.

And agree on Maroon 5. Only thing that makes them not pure puke is that James Valentine (guitarist) is from Lincoln and went to SouthEast.

Quincy Jones: 'The Beatles were the worst musicians in the world'
They were the worst musicians in the world,” he told interviewer David Marchese. “They were no-playing motherf@#$ers. Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard.”

Drummer Ringo Starr came in for particular opprobrium: “And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it.”

Jones recalled arranging Love Is a Many Splendoured Thing for Starr’s 1970 debut solo album Sentimental Journey.

“Ringo had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said: ‘Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.’”

In the interim, Jones called English jazz drummer Ronnie Verrell into the studio.

“Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says: ‘George [Martin], can you play it back for me one more time?’

“So George did, and Ringo says: ‘That didn’t sound so bad.’ And I said: ‘Yeah, motherf@K$er because it ain’t you.’ Great guy, though.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
They were the worst musicians in the world,” he told interviewer David Marchese. “They were no-playing motherf@#$ers. Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard.”

Drummer Ringo Starr came in for particular opprobrium: “And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it.”

Jones recalled arranging Love Is a Many Splendoured Thing for Starr’s 1970 debut solo album Sentimental Journey.

“Ringo had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said: ‘Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.’”

In the interim, Jones called English jazz drummer Ronnie Verrell into the studio.

“Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says: ‘George [Martin], can you play it back for me one more time?’

“So George did, and Ringo says: ‘That didn’t sound so bad.’ And I said: ‘Yeah, motherf@K$er because it ain’t you.’ Great guy, though.

Quincy just walked back this interview.

Quincy Jones is a tool. He would only be so lucky to be able to write music like The Beatles did. The Beatles weren't great musicians, but there's a reason they are considered the best rock and roll group to ever exist. Their creativity and ability to come up with amazing memorable melodies knew no bounds. Quincy Jones never had their gift, and I would assume he was pissed because he didn't.

Coldplay sucks.

They do and very badly, good call...however they are a "CDI" band....Chicks Dig It Band. Other CDI bands, Lifehouse, Maroon 5, Hootie and the Blowfish, Spin Doctors, Oasis, Black Eyed Peas, the list goes on and on. Use caution when criticizing these bands in front of hot chicks.

Rollling Stones
The Eagles
Prince

And yes Prince was a great musician but people act like he was the next Hendrix or something. Not even close to the same league as Jimi.
As a guitarist and someone who pays close attention to their playing I would say Prince is a great all around musician but not a great guitarist. To me he is like Todd Rundgren. A guitar player who can play a lot of instruments. Prince wouldn't make my top 50 probably. Not saying he isn't good but there are some great players out there that the average person has never heard of.

Music is very subjective. There are a lot of music experts out there who think Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica is one of the greatest albums ever made. I will let you all be the judge. It is definitely original.

Could Prince play the guitar upside down?

Prince is a very good musician but Hendrix Jimmy Page and Stevie Ray Vaughan are in a class of there own.

Hendrix and SRV are exceptional guitar players, but Page is a sloppy as hell. Not even in the same stratosphere as those guys.

Last edited:
The worst bands are Journey, REO, Asia, pop country and the B52s. The Stones are the greatest band of all time and since they have been mentioned several times, I am in the camp that the Beatles, Dylan and Prince are awesome. I also think Soundgarden is very good, AC/DC is great, thought The Wall concert was awesome, love Wilco (maybe pre the last few albums), hate the rap metal garbage, think Dave Mathews sounds annoying but can groove to better jam bands. I also absolutely hate the Smashing Pumpkins, almost every band that starts with "White" and most secondary "grunge" and hair metal bands.

I think if I had to choose the most beautiful rock song ever written, Good Only Knows would probably be it. Every time I hear that song, at the end when they are singing the multi-parts as a round, it always sends shivers up my back. Dare I say that the song sometimes leaves me with a lump in my throat.

It's funny...after I thought about that song being the most beautiful rock song ever written, I was interested if there had ever been polls done, and low and behold, when I Googled, I found a poll from 2012 proclaiming it as the greatest song ever written. It was the first poll/article I clicked on. It is truly a masterpiece.
Yep Great song. The whole album is amazing. One of my all time favs.

HOW can one NOT think the Beatles were the most influential modern musicians

Maybe because they covered so many American tunes, these are the songs the Beatles covered. The Beatles were influenced by the great black musicians from America, not the other way around. Hell Eric Clapton is the one playing lead on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, not George Harrison. The Beatles are absolutely incredible song writers, no doubt. Most influential? I don't think so. The good ole USA is the source of modern music, sexy cars and world war wins baby!

Reactions: SC_'sker
jimmy buffet.
had one good song. one.damn.song.

and if i never hear 'betty davis eyes' ever again, i'll be fine.

Oh my goodness, I've been saying this about Jimmy Buffett for years. I absolutely can't stand his music. That MFer built an empire on two songs, that sucked beyond reason. I can't stand the fking idiots that lap his crap music up either.

Oh my goodness, I've been saying this about Jimmy Buffett for years. I absolutely can't stand his music. That MFer built an empire on two songs, that sucked beyond reason. I can't stand the fking idiots that lap his crap music up either.
admittedly, ive sang margaritaville drunk at parties a few times...

It almost seems like blasphemy that I don't like the following bands/artists....and if I admit it, I catch a lot of sh!t so I keep these opinions mostly to myself...

AC/DC - I love hard rock, but for some reason, I don't really like these guys. Mostly due to Brian Johnson's voice. But boy if you say that in the company of certain people, be prepared to defend your position.

Dave Matthews Band - as a white person, I think I'm automatically supposed to like these guys, but they blow chunks IMO...can't stand even one of their songs, generally annoying.

Radiohead - I think I'm not smart enough to like them, at least that's what I've been told. Their fans are among the most annoying out there.

Bruno Mars - I know I could take him in a fight, so I automatically don't like him. Plus he seems like a poor imitation of much better artists like MJ and others. My 13 year old defends him like her life depends on it.

Soundgarden - Again I love hard rock, but these guys just don't speak to me. Everyone tells me Chris Cornell had such a great voice, but to me, it was very grating. Sorry DNL.

Honorable mention - Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Lynard Skynard

Kanye West - Do I really need to elaborate?

Beyonce - See above.

Cardi B- I thought this was a new STD until I heard a few of her "songs" at the gym. But if an STD could have a theme song, she would work well .

John Mayer - Just because.

Bruno Mars - Because I couldn't take him in a fight.

admittedly, ive sang margaritaville drunk at parties a few times...

There's still time to repent. :D I'm sure I've also sang along with it at a party or two. But I'm not a fan of his music at all. But you have to admit that he created quite the empire out of two of the suckiest songs ever.

Reactions: tpmcg
The worst bands are Journey, REO, Asia, pop country and the B52s. The Stones are the greatest band of all time and since they have been mentioned several times, I am in the camp that the Beatles, Dylan and Prince are awesome. I also think Soundgarden is very good, AC/DC is great, thought The Wall concert was awesome, love Wilco (maybe pre the last few albums), hate the rap metal garbage, think Dave Mathews sounds annoying but can groove to better jam bands. I also absolutely hate the Smashing Pumpkins, almost every band that starts with "White" and most secondary "grunge" and hair metal bands.

"Being There" and "Summerteeth" are both extraordinary albums. I think Being There has probably become my favorite Wilco album.

saw green day listed....they really do suck. mrs cub would say the chili peppers, she hates them with a passion.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
their general sound and his voice just irk her like crazy. I'm ambivalent on them but will play em just to troll.

My wife made me go to a Dave Matthews concert when I lived in KC. Then a concert where the Foo Fighters opened for the RHCPs. I knew then that our marriage would never make it.

Oh, Bonham took the drum kit to an entirely different level for rock music, IMO. What always impressed me was his footwork. He was quicker with a single kick pedal than many that played with a double kick. But he was technically so sound too. He was influenced by jazz drummers, who are about the best in the drumming business, IMO.

He puts Keith Moon to shame, and honestly there are many high school drummers that put Keith Moon to shame. IMO he (Moon) put a ton of energy into his drumming, but he was technically very ordinary. Even less than ordinary to me. One of the most overrated drummers in the history of rock music. As far as his theatrics, he was very entertaining, but as far as drumming, he wasn't even remotely in the same class as Bonzo.

I think you're talking about Cashmere or Black Dog, where Bonham was playing a different time signature than Page and Jones. They synced up every 12 counts, because Bonzo was playing in 4/4 time and Page and Jones were in 3/4 I believe. Very cool stuff. My favorites of his drum beats is still Good Times, Bad Times, where he used triplets on the kick drum.

This video is very interesting and explains what you're talking about...

I could like this 100 times.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
It almost seems like blasphemy that I don't like the following bands/artists....and if I admit it, I catch a lot of sh!t so I keep these opinions mostly to myself...

AC/DC - I love hard rock, but for some reason, I don't really like these guys. Mostly due to Brian Johnson's voice. But boy if you say that in the company of certain people, be prepared to defend your position.

Dave Matthews Band - as a white person, I think I'm automatically supposed to like these guys, but they blow chunks IMO...can't stand even one of their songs, generally annoying.

Radiohead - I think I'm not smart enough to like them, at least that's what I've been told. Their fans are among the most annoying out there.

Bruno Mars - I know I could take him in a fight, so I automatically don't like him. Plus he seems like a poor imitation of much better artists like MJ and others. My 13 year old defends him like her life depends on it.

Soundgarden - Again I love hard rock, but these guys just don't speak to me. Everyone tells me Chris Cornell had such a great voice, but to me, it was very grating. Sorry DNL.

Honorable mention - Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Lynard Skynard
Rolling Stones - Most OVERRATED band of all time.
I like 1 song of theirs.

Great thread—like the topic and interesting to see the differing opinions. Here’s my list:

U2
Bruce Springsteen
Ringo Starr
Frank Zappa
Lou Reed
Kiss
Green Day
The Ramones
The Grateful Dead
Any band that’s playing their “new stuff”

I’ve seen Rush two times at Red Rocks. Amazing sound from only 3 guys IMO. Don’t particularly like but an amazing voice: Lady Gaga. Best concert ever......Paul McCartney and Wings at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT