ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands/Artists I should like but I don't and I keep it on the DL...

i feel like I'm probably in the minority on them, but i can think of prob 15 songs off the top of my head by them that i would be pumped if they came on the radio.
Hey people dig what they dig. I myself turn the station if Bush comes on.

Don't post here often. But, Radiohead is the best band since 2000. Followed closely by Arcade Fire. All my opinion obviously.

However, Radiohead takes some time to get into. It's not for everyone. They are anti-pop for sure.

Agree on the rest except for Soundgarden. Go listen to Black Hole Sun again...it's unreal. Like 60's psychedelia meets grunge...even Nirvana was in aww of that song...and album.

Reactions: Wing-Back
Anyone that mentions The Beatles or The Stones in this 'Bad Music' thread should be burned at the stake immediately. :Cool:

50+ years after Sgt. Pepper's came out, the Beatles are still way ahead of their time. And The Stones wrote some of the best slow songs I've ever heard. As Tears Go By, Wild Horses, Waiting On a Friend, Beast of Burden, Angie, Time Is On My Side, Can't Always Get What You Want. And one of the best songs to ever grace the airwaves...Gimme Shelter.

Anyone that mentions The Beatles or The Stones in this 'Bad Music' thread should be burned at the stake immediately. :Cool:

50+ years after Sgt. Pepper's came out, the Beatles are still way ahead of their time. And The Stones wrote some of the best slow songs I've ever heard. As Tears Go By, Wild Horses, Waiting On a Friend, Beast of Burden, Angie, Time Is On My Side, Can't Always Get What You Want. And one of the best songs to ever grace the airwaves...Gimme Shelter.

I don’t know about burned at the stake but a good slap in the face would do.Winking

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Rush....makes my skin crawl.
REO...when they went full pop. Loved their early stuff.
Maroon Five...I'd like to punch Adam Levine
Beach Boys...never understood the fascination or their importance

LOL at the guy who said Prince wasn't a good musician.

Beach Boys Pet Sounds. Simply one of the best albums of all time. There early records were pure pop brilliance as well. Just like the early Beatles.

I like Hendrix, but Prince was better.
Go look. It ain't even close.
You sir...............I just cant. Ive always enjoyed your posts c2o. But........Damn man, just damn. Better than Hendrix? Really? You actually typed that out? No, just, no.

This is where we shake hands and just realize people are different isnt it? :(

edited to add: My wedding song was Hendrix. May this be Love. Yes I got my wife to have our first song be Hendrix. Bow to me.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Only one person said The Stones, they are not in the conversation.

I do believe that the Beatles are overrated.
Not my style.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Rush....makes my skin crawl.
REO...when they went full pop. Loved their early stuff.
Maroon Five...I'd like to punch Adam Levine
Beach Boys...never understood the fascination or their importance

LOL at the guy who said Prince wasn't a good musician.

I honestly don't know if Prince is an exceptional guitar player or not. I play bass and drums, so I truly don't know. I would say he certainly looks like he is very good, and being able to play all the instruments on an album seems pretty gifted to me.

I can still listen to Rush 2112 and nearly get wood. Geddy Lee's voice is indeed irritating, but the melodies on that album alone were beyond comprehension. And the chord progressions were even better.

Agree on REO. Really liked their old stuff. "Hi Infidelity" is where I checked out.

Maroon 5 is another band in that Matchbox 20 league of horrible music that is nearly unbearable to listen to.

Led Zeppelin (Z92 in Omaha just killed this band for me, way overplayed)
With the possible exception of Whole Lotta Love, every Led Zeppelin song makes my ears bleed. D'yer Mak'er might be the worst song ever recorded, just edging out All My Love.

I like Hendrix, but Prince was better.
Go look. It ain't even close.

Could Prince play the guitar upside down?

Prince is a very good musician but Hendrix Jimmy Page and Stevie Ray Vaughan are in a class of there own.

Last edited:
You sir...............I just cant. Ive always enjoyed your posts c2o. But........Damn man, just damn. Better than Hendrix? Really? You actually typed that out? No, just, no.

This is where we shake hands and just realize people are different isnt it? :(

edited to add: My wedding song was Hendrix. May this be Love. Yes I got my wife to have our first song be Hendrix. Bow to me.

It's allright.
I watched Prince warm up in Ames. It was just me and the light and sound guys. He played "if i had a harem" just on guitar. It was the most mind blowing thing I have ever seen. He could do so much more than than what he did.

Only one person said The Stones, they are not in the conversation.

I do believe that the Beatles are overrated.
Not my style.

They may not be your style, but their ability to create melodies that forever etch themselves in one's memories is unmatched by any band to ever write music. And 2nd place is quite a distance behind.

Reactions: scarletred
They may not be your style, but their ability to create melodies that forever etch themselves in one's memories is unmatched by any band to ever write music. And 2nd place is quite a distance behind.

I understand that I am in the minority when it comes to the Beatles, Led Zep and Dylan.
Maybe if I was around when they were, it would be different.

I understand that I am in the minority when it comes to the Beatles, Led Zep and Dylan.
Eh, Im too young for them but Zeppelin kicks ass.

And dont know if ive ever listened to much Dylan. He was/is an incredible song writer though. Love Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower by Dylan and RATM's version of Maggies Farm.

This is the crazy thing about music and movies from the topic prior. We all have our own preferences, and are stupid to say others are stupid for liking what they like. I love a ton of these hated bands listed, notably all of the Seattle bands. Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains are probably my favorite bands from that era. I was stationed up near Seattle in the 90's yet never got to see any of the good ones. I saw shitty Candlebox in a small club in Pioneer Square once. I got the chance to see Soundgarden last year at Westfair. They opened with a little known song of their Kyle Petty Son Of Richard and I absolutely lost it. It is my favorite song of theirs. Chris Cornell and Kim Thayil were on point. The Earth shook. I was in Heaven.
To the music we hate note, I can't stand Taylor Swift now. I really can't stand Tim McGraw ever. Her song Tim McGraw I love. Two wrongs made a right I guess?

Reactions: SeaOfRed75

I was around, but was in my single digits. :DBeing a drummer, John Bonham was one of the most innovative drummers to ever come along. And Jimmie Page was a sloppy genius to me.

Admittedly Dylan's voice wasn't phenomenal, but the combination of his voice, melodies, and lyrics are timeless.

Beach Boys Pet Sounds. Simply one of the best albums of all time.
I really don't understand this. Nobody gave a damn about this album for 30+ years and now all of a sudden it's a masterpiece. I think it says a lot about the current state of music - "when pygmies cast such long shadows it must be very late in the day".

I was around, but was in my single digits. :DBeing a drummer, John Bonham was one of the most innovative drummers to ever come along. And Jimmie Page was a sloppy genius to me.
I saw some music doc explaining the genius of Jimmie Page and Led Zeppelin in general. I don't know music other than what I like, but they explained that Jimmie Page basically lead the band and the true genius was John Bonham and John Paul Jones having to play out of sequence or something and somehow matching every twelve bars. I don't know. Music nerds would probably know what I am talking about. They explained how this is never done and next to impossible to do. Yet they did it in a ton of their music.

I really don't understand this. Nobody gave a damn about this album for 30+ years and now all of a sudden it's a masterpiece. I think it says a lot about the current state of music - "when pygmies cast such long shadows it must be very late in the day".
No, your are misguided. Ppl def. loved that album. Hell, Paul McCartney and the Beatles thought it was amazing they threw in a nod for it on sgt peppers.

The thing is that the Beach Boys were known for pop music, not psychedelic/baroque pop. They alienated there base. That is why.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
No, your are misguided. Ppl def. loved that album. Hell, Paul McCartney and the Beatles thought it was amazing they threw in a nod for it on sgt peppers.

The thing is that the Beach Boys were known for pop music, not psychedelic/baroque pop. They alienated there base. That is why.

I think if I had to choose the most beautiful rock song ever written, Good Only Knows would probably be it. Every time I hear that song, at the end when they are singing the multi-parts as a round, it always sends shivers up my back. Dare I say that the song sometimes leaves me with a lump in my throat.

It's funny...after I thought about that song being the most beautiful rock song ever written, I was interested if there had ever been polls done, and low and behold, when I Googled, I found a poll from 2012 proclaiming it as the greatest song ever written. It was the first poll/article I clicked on. It is truly a masterpiece.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerLivInTN

I always liked the story of the friendly rivalry between the Beatles and Brian Wilson, and how they inspired each other to create 2 of the greatest albums of all time.

JEFF SLATE
04.04.15 6:55 AM ET
150403-slate-wilson-tease_man5kg

PAUL A. HEBERT/AP
Rubber Soul inspired Pet Sounds, which inspired Sgt. Pepper’s and that inspired me to make Smile,” Brian Wilson tells me, recalling his 1960s game of one-upmanship with the Beach Boys’ so-called rivals The Beatles.

“It wasn’t really a rivalry, though. I was jealous!” Wilson says with a hearty laugh. “It was really just mutual inspiration, I think. I would get to hear their records before they came out and I was totally blown away by Rubber Soul. And Sgt. Pepper’s? I was totally blown away by that. But it was inspirational, too. Then I did “Good Vibrations” and Smile and it was exciting. I got into it and really produced my head off.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/brian...boys-rivalry-with-the-beatles-and-flying-solo

Last edited:
It almost seems like blasphemy that I don't like the following bands/artists....and if I admit it, I catch a lot of sh!t so I keep these opinions mostly to myself...

AC/DC - I love hard rock, but for some reason, I don't really like these guys. Mostly due to Brian Johnson's voice. But boy if you say that in the company of certain people, be prepared to defend your position.

Dave Matthews Band - as a white person, I think I'm automatically supposed to like these guys, but they blow chunks IMO...can't stand even one of their songs, generally annoying.

Radiohead - I think I'm not smart enough to like them, at least that's what I've been told. Their fans are among the most annoying out there.

Bruno Mars - I know I could take him in a fight, so I automatically don't like him. Plus he seems like a poor imitation of much better artists like MJ and others. My 13 year old defends him like her life depends on it.

Soundgarden - Again I love hard rock, but these guys just don't speak to me. Everyone tells me Chris Cornell had such a great voice, but to me, it was very grating. Sorry DNL.

Honorable mention - Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Lynard Skynard
All modern country and all hip hop.

Last edited:
Upvote for the 'trim' reference.. I haven't heard that in a very long time.

add Bruce Springsteen to the suck list

Springsteens albums through The Rising or Magic were brilliant (and there is no better live performer on the planet...hands down, end of story). His most recent 3-4 albums barely draw iron for me and I'm a huge fan.

BTW....HOW can one NOT think the Beatles were the most influential modern musicians IN THE MODERN ERA(MAYBE not the best...but most influential!)

Great musicians to me, are risk takers at some level...look at the levels that these guys adapted/adjusted/altered....no one else really comes near...

If you put on a George Strait album from today, and one from thirty years ago, no difference....

Reactions: Hoosker Du
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT