ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands/Artists I should like but I don't and I keep it on the DL...

Chief Wiggum

Sophomore
Sep 29, 2001
It almost seems like blasphemy that I don't like the following bands/artists....and if I admit it, I catch a lot of sh!t so I keep these opinions mostly to myself...

AC/DC - I love hard rock, but for some reason, I don't really like these guys. Mostly due to Brian Johnson's voice. But boy if you say that in the company of certain people, be prepared to defend your position.

Dave Matthews Band - as a white person, I think I'm automatically supposed to like these guys, but they blow chunks IMO...can't stand even one of their songs, generally annoying.

Radiohead - I think I'm not smart enough to like them, at least that's what I've been told. Their fans are among the most annoying out there.

Bruno Mars - I know I could take him in a fight, so I automatically don't like him. Plus he seems like a poor imitation of much better artists like MJ and others. My 13 year old defends him like her life depends on it.

Soundgarden - Again I love hard rock, but these guys just don't speak to me. Everyone tells me Chris Cornell had such a great voice, but to me, it was very grating. Sorry DNL.

Honorable mention - Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Lynard Skynard

Sorry... really like Prince, but agree on Rush, Radiohead... AND outside of GRACE IS GONE, Dave Matthews

Rush and Dave Matthews for sure. I understand why people like Rush, however, because they are good musicians, but that voice ruins everything. I don't understand Dave Matthews, his songs don't sound good.

Prince is a good musician, although I don't particularly like many of his songs nor would I go out of my way to listen. But he could play guitar very well.
I don't dislike any bands that I feel I have to keep on the down low, however.

A lot of Geddy Lee hate in this thread... Surprised no one has complained about Robert Plant too.​

Pearl Jam
Zeppelin
Grateful Dead
Any jam band clone of Greatful Dead
Wilco
Conor Oberst
Aretha Franklin

A comment on Rush.... Lee’s voice can be grating to some. A lot of it depends on which register he sings. Some albums, like Presto, are in a lower pitch. I think his voice was much higher in the early years than recently.

Rush and Dave Matthews for sure. I understand why people like Rush, however, because they are good musicians, but that voice ruins everything. I don't understand Dave Matthews, his songs don't sound good.

Prince is a good musician, although I don't particularly like many of his songs nor would I go out of my way to listen. But he could play guitar very well.
I don't dislike any bands that I feel I have to keep on the down low, however.

I don’t like Prince’s music as much as everybody else but the dude played EVERY instrument on his first 5 albums..... Respect!

Jimmy Buffet
Beach Boys
Michael Buble
Drake
Coldplay
Radiohead
John Mayer
Led Zeppelin (Z92 in Omaha just killed this band for me, way overplayed)
Also second all the female rappers

I don't really like The Beatles. I acknowledge their importance, just not a fan.

Weezer. I like them but not like Weezer fans think you need to like them.

Bob Dylan. Cannot. Effing. Stand. His voice.

Reactions: BroskiRed
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Bob Dylan
and female rappers.
Not afraid to admit they are all overrated.

Reactions: BroskiRed
It almost seems like blasphemy that I don't like the following bands/artists....and if I admit it, I catch a lot of sh!t so I keep these opinions mostly to myself...

AC/DC - I love hard rock, but for some reason, I don't really like these guys. Mostly due to Brian Johnson's voice. But boy if you say that in the company of certain people, be prepared to defend your position.

Dave Matthews Band - as a white person, I think I'm automatically supposed to like these guys, but they blow chunks IMO...can't stand even one of their songs, generally annoying.

Radiohead - I think I'm not smart enough to like them, at least that's what I've been told. Their fans are among the most annoying out there.

Bruno Mars - I know I could take him in a fight, so I automatically don't like him. Plus he seems like a poor imitation of much better artists like MJ and others. My 13 year old defends him like her life depends on it.

Soundgarden - Again I love hard rock, but these guys just don't speak to me. Everyone tells me Chris Cornell had such a great voice, but to me, it was very grating. Sorry DNL.

Eagles
Lynyrd Skynrd
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Rollling Stones
The Eagles
Prince

And yes Prince was a great musician but people act like he was the next Hendrix or something. Not even close to the same league as Jimi.

Reactions: StrongArm517
Pink Floyd... I went to the Roger Water's "The Wall" at the Qwest/Century Link about a dozen years ago. I truly thought that I would really enjoy it. I was so wrong.... I hated it, but then again maybe it was because I wasn't stoned out of my gourd. "Hey, teacher... leave those kids alone"

I was just having this conversation about AC/DC with a friend. I really enjoyed old-school AC/DC with Bon Scott as singer, but can't stand Brian Johnson's voice.

Dave Matthews band IS horrible, and has given rise to so many bad bands, like Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Matchbox 20, Ben Harper, Collective Soul, etc.. I'm in complete agreement.

Radiohead has some decent music ("The Bends" album) but Thom Yorke seems a bit too self-absorbed for my tastes.

There are not many musical artists that I can't stand as much as Bruno Mars. I mean complete hate of everything he sings.

I'm in complete agreement on Sound Garden too. Chris Cornell was a professionally paid screamer, and he sucked to high heaven!

This makes a good segue to my most disliked genre of music...Post-Grunge. I mean worse than disco; and as bad as New Country. Just complete rotgut. Bands like Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Candlebox, Five Finger Death Punch, Creed, Bush, Silverchair, Theory of a Deadman, Godsmack, etc.. Just dogshit of the highest order.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT