ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands/Artists I should like but I don't and I keep it on the DL...

1) the Beatles. Nearly all of their stuff was trash.

2) pink Floyd. Way overrated, slightly more enjoyable than elevator music.

3) Any of that ICP/hatchet man BS. Can't take someone seriously when they're into that white trash stuff.

4) Prince had maybe one or two songs that were alright.

5) Never heard of the band Rush, is that strictly a Midwestern thing?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
1) the Beatles. Nearly all of their stuff was trash.

2) pink Floyd. Way overrated, slightly more enjoyable than elevator music.

3) Any of that ICP/hatchet man BS. Can't take someone seriously when they're into that white trash stuff.

4) Prince had maybe one or two songs that were alright.

5) Never heard of the band Rush, is that strictly a Midwestern thing?

RUSH is a Canadian band.... But someone that doesn’t appreciate The Beatles and says their music is thrash doesn’t surprise me you know nothing about RUSH.

RUSH is a Canadian band.... But someone that doesn’t appreciate The Beatles and says their music is thrash doesn’t surprise me you know nothing about RUSH.

What is this Canadia that you speak of?

I'd rather listen to a stray cat gangbang in the alley across the way than listen to Beatles music. Yuck!

Edit: Twist and Shout was a cool song and there was one other song that I can't think of the tilte that I liked. I'll have to try to google it.

Yes Beatles were influential, I get that.
But does anyone actually choose to listen to their music?
I feel like theres people who like the beatles simply because youre supposed to.
I wouldnt say their music is bad, it just isnt good, to me anyway.

Someone mentioned john mayer. Hes so bad he doesnt even belong on this list, because it should go without saying.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Rolling Stones - Most OVERRATED band of all time.
I like 1 song of theirs.

Shame on you. :D I'm not as big of a fan of the Stones as the Beatles, but the more I listen to the Stones, the more I think they have most definitely earned their place in rock and roll history. How can a person not love As Tears Go By, Angie, or Wild Horses?? Amazing music.

Reactions: SC_'sker
What is this Canadia that you speak of?

I'd rather listen to a stray cat gangbang in the alley across the way than listen to Beatles music. Yuck!

Edit: Twist and Shout was a cool song and there was one other song that I can't think of the tilte that I liked. I'll have to try to google it.

Congratulations! You've pegged the ridiculous post meter. Of all the unbelievable songs they've written, you chose Twist and Shout as being a song you can listen to??? First of all, it's a cover, so the Beatles didn't write it, and secondly, it's a boring song. One of their least likeable songs to me.

Your daily lesson for the next 6 weeks should be to listen to side B of Abbey Road. At that point you will realize how unparalleled the Beatles were at their craft. It is the most iconic album side ever written.

Reactions: scarletred
Yes Beatles were influential, I get that.
But does anyone actually choose to listen to their music?
I feel like theres people who like the beatles simply because youre supposed to.
I wouldnt say their music is bad, it just isnt good, to me anyway.

Someone mentioned john mayer. Hes so bad he doesnt even belong on this list, because it should go without saying.

You must be really really young. That's OK to be young (actually it would be nice to be in my 20s again), but questioning why the hundreds of millions of people that love the Beatles..love them...really shows a lack of sense of chord progression and melody. There has never been, nor will there ever be, a band that could come up with the melodies the Beatles came up with. Ever. It just isn't going to happen. They will be influencing music until the end of time.

Ok if you just want the rocking guitar just put on some RATM. You're not going to tell me you cant stand De La Rocha either are you? ;)

Phenomenal guitar in that band, and I probably would have liked them more if I would have discovered them in college, but I'm older now, and now I'm more Ryan Adams than I am Ramones these days. :Cool:

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Beatles just weren't good. Twist and shout was an OK song. I'd never put it on a playlist, but I'd be less likely to change the station if I heard it on the radio compared to other Beatles songs. Easily the most overrated band in history. The stones were a billion times more talented and had much better music.

Last edited:
Great thread—like the topic and interesting to see the differing opinions. Here’s my list:

U2
Bruce Springsteen
Ringo Starr
Frank Zappa
Lou Reed
Kiss
Green Day
The Ramones
The Grateful Dead
Any band that’s playing their “new stuff”

I’ve seen Rush two times at Red Rocks. Amazing sound from only 3 guys IMO. Don’t particularly like but an amazing voice: Lady Gaga. Best concert ever......Paul McCartney and Wings at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

What? Zappa is one of the greatest of all time. Lots of people don't care for his music and I feel sorry for them.

The biggest band I don't really enjoy is Led Zepplin. And anyone who knows me knows that. Any other band I don't like (really only newer big bands) I have no problem telling anyone. So Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, Muse, etc.

Phenomenal guitar in that band, and I probably would have liked them more if I would have discovered them in college, but I'm older now, and now I'm more Ryan Adams than I am Ramones these days. :Cool:
I always like reading your posts on music threads. Your knowledge of music is impressive. I think yours and my tastes are a little different but you know what you are talking about. I am more into progressive rock/metal, fusion and eclectic stuff like Zappa. I am big on great guitar playing also.

Hoosker Du, curious if you don't mind me asking how old are you.

And where do you rate Neil Peart as a drummer.

Last edited:
Hoosker Du, curious if you don't mind me asking how old are you.

And where do you rate Neil Peart as a drummer.

Late teens. Winking Actually, I graduated from high school in the 80s, so I wasn't old enough to get to know the Beatles very well until I was in my teens. Oddly enough, my high school friends and I loved the Beatles, and listened to them often.

I started playing drums in 3nd grade. Neil Peart was THE drummer to me, and I have listened to Rush 2112 more than any album, by far. So...the 2 drummers that influenced me more than any were Neil Peart and John Bonham. My drummer friend was a huge Bonham fan. But I always considered Peart to be the best drummer. At least through the 70s. There may be better drummers, but I'm not aware of them.

I played pretty consistently until I got into high school, when I got into sports a lot more. I wish I would have continued playing, because I think I could have been pretty good. As it is, I'm an average drummer, because I stopped playing consistently at a pretty early age (15).

Reactions: scarletred
I always like reading your posts on music threads. Your knowledge of music is impressive. I think yours and my tastes are a little different but you know what you are talking about. I am more into progressive rock/metal, fusion and eclectic stuff like Zappa. I am big on great guitar playing also.

Zappa was pretty amazing, but I think I've always been a power pop guy. I need a good melody to keep me interested. That's why the Beatles are amazing to me. I love old Cheap Trick, Badfinger, The Cars earlier stuff, Hoodoo Gurus, The Beat, The Records, the Knack, and Teenage Fan Club type stuff. Big Star has always been a favorite too...

Last edited:
The biggest band I don't really enjoy is Led Zepplin. And anyone who knows me knows that. Any other band I don't like (really only newer big bands) I have no problem telling anyone. So Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, Muse, etc.

The fact that Imagine Dragons is a huge band tells me all I need to know about the state of music right now. If there is one band that I could choose to remove from society and send them to an uninhabited island, Imagine Dragons would be that band. I would provide them with all the essentials to maintain life, but they could no longer infect music with their virulent diseased songwriting. I wouldn't want them to suffer, despite the fact that they have made pop music suffer tremendously.

Reactions: WHCSC
It almost seems like blasphemy that I don't like the following bands/artists....and if I admit it, I catch a lot of sh!t so I keep these opinions mostly to myself...

AC/DC - I love hard rock, but for some reason, I don't really like these guys. Mostly due to Brian Johnson's voice. But boy if you say that in the company of certain people, be prepared to defend your position.

Dave Matthews Band - as a white person, I think I'm automatically supposed to like these guys, but they blow chunks IMO...can't stand even one of their songs, generally annoying.

Radiohead - I think I'm not smart enough to like them, at least that's what I've been told. Their fans are among the most annoying out there.

Bruno Mars - I know I could take him in a fight, so I automatically don't like him. Plus he seems like a poor imitation of much better artists like MJ and others. My 13 year old defends him like her life depends on it.

Soundgarden - Again I love hard rock, but these guys just don't speak to me. Everyone tells me Chris Cornell had such a great voice, but to me, it was very grating. Sorry DNL.

Honorable mention - Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Lynard Skynard

How about this.....if you generally don't enjoy music you get attacked like a leper. But, if said people don't like sports it's all good.

Outside of AC/DC, don't know or care who the others are you listed.

As quoted in Shameless, "my favorite eagle, bald. Who has time for music?" my thoughts exactly. Talk radio and audio books all day long baby. Music more than ten minutes i'm bored....

Honestly, do the biggest music freaks listen to music to assist in thought, or do they not think while listening; more like a clearing of the mind or zombie drunken state?

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
I was a singer at one time.... not sure why that matters. Did my post upset you?

Nope, just curious. I've always found self proclaimed talent assessors interesting. It's one thing to say you don't like or get something. But to say not that talented makes me question how you are judging said talent, my opinion is anyone that plays around 17 instruments is usually quite talented.

How about this.....if you generally don't enjoy music you get attacked like a leper. But, if said people don't like sports it's all good.

Outside of AC/DC, don't know or care who the others are you listed.

As quoted in Shameless, "my favorite eagle, bald. Who has time for music?" my thoughts exactly. Talk radio and audio books all day long baby. Music more than ten minutes i'm bored....

Honestly, do the biggest music freaks listen to music to assist in thought, or do they not think while listening; more like a clearing of the mind or zombie drunken state?

I find classical music clears my mind for painting. Weed helps too.

Reactions: WHCSC and bbarry464
Beatles just weren't good. Twist and shout was an OK song. I'd never put it on a playlist, but I'd be less likely to change the station if I heard it on the radio compared to other Beatles songs. Easily the most overrated band in history. The stones were a billion times more talented and had much better music.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound by calling the Beatles "Easily the most overrated band in history," when they are the greatest selling band of all time? That would indicate that the entire world has no idea what they are talking about, but SC 'sker on Huskers Online is completely dialed in to what's right and wrong about music.

You can say you don't like them, but saying "Easily the most overrated band in history" just makes you look foolish. Especially when they have more albums listed in Rolling Stones Top 500 albums of all time than any other band, including 4 in the Top 10.

Reactions: bmb81664
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound by calling the Beatles "Easily the most overrated band in history," when they are the greatest selling band of all time? That would indicate that the entire world has no idea what they are talking about, but SC 'sker on Huskers Online is completely dialed in to what's right and wrong about music.

You can say you don't like them, but saying "Easily the most overrated band in history" just makes you look foolish. Especially when they have more albums listed in Rolling Stones Top 500 albums of all time than any other band, including 4 in the Top 10.

I think that is what he means by overrated. :)

Y u triggered though?

It's an opinion and it's relevant considering the thread it was posted in. Un-bunch them panties bro!

Smokin

Beatles suck, just like Iowa.

Y u triggered though?

It's an opinion and it's relevant considering the thread it was posted in. Un-bunch them panties bro!

Smokin

Beatles suck, just like Iowa.

You're absolutely right. It is an opinion. My bad.

But "YU triggered?" "Unbunch them panties?"

I think I understand now why you don't like the Beatles.

This thread.. what can I say.. for starters anyone who can't appreciate one of the all-time greats - Prince.. well you my friend just don't know anything about music. Also hating on female rappers?? Lauryn Hill's album - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill would be a good starting point for anyone who spouts nonsense like that. Same for R&B or Disco for that matter.. and I'm not talking about the Village People or the BeeGees (altho I happen to like the BeeGees) but if you can't appreciate R&B from the early to mid 80's then you probably just can't dance. Hell I'd venture to say until MJ or Prince gets dropped at your niece's wedding folks in attendance are probably biding time at the bar. I ride for the Beatles and the Stones but neither band would be the bands they are if it weren't for Black American music - and those bands are amazing groups. The English have been biting Afro-American styles since forever. The Smiths and Depeche Mode were taking cues from hip hop for crying out loud. But I'm getting off track.. I co-sign on the following who blow chunks: John Mayer - the king of bland and the owner of beige, Kid Rock - has anyone sucked for as long and hard as he has? Fall Out Boy - make we want to join the NRA and become a Kid Rock fan, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Ryan Adams etc etc..

Chris Cornell. Never a huge fan but that dude could sing. Buddy of mine tour managed him for a bit. He told me one time he went to get from his hotel room when he saw an older couple standing outside his door. He said the couple were probably late 60's early 70's. They were listening to Chris warm up his voice. After he was finished the lady remarked what a lovely voice he had. Another friend of mine used to drive Dylan. He said he warm up his voice once or twice and that he actually could sing normal which I found pretty funny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT