ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone just say no to weddings?

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
I'm not talking about your own. LOL. I'm talking about getting invites to weddings. I keep reading where so and so is scheduling their wedding during Husker game day. I've been saying no to weddings throughout my marriage. I think I went to two. A close friend (and Husker fan) who chose to get married near Labor Day. The other was my sister, who got hitched on September 1st.

However, if they are not a really close friend or relative I'm not going to attend. My wife mentions some distant relative of hers or some long ago co-worker. I ask when was the last time you saw them or even spoke with them. If she has to stop and think then she knows the answer. She complained early in our marriage that all the other husbands are going. I tell her that there's nothing stopping her from going...

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I'm not talking about your own. LOL. I'm talking about getting invites to weddings. I keep reading where so and so is scheduling their wedding during Husker game day. I've been saying no to weddings throughout my marriage. I think I went to two. A close friend (and Husker fan) who chose to get married near Labor Day. The other was my sister, who got hitched on September 1st.

However, if they are not a really close friend or relative I'm not going to attend. My wife mentions some distant relative of hers or some long ago co-worker. I ask when was the last time you saw them or even spoke with them. If she has to stop and think then she knows the answer. She complained early in our marriage that all the other husbands are going. I tell her that there's nothing stopping her from going...
Weddings in Nebraska...or where either party is from Nebraska (regardless of venue)...should NEVER, EVER be scheduled during a game. Period. I have 3 young daughters, and they all already know better. No self-respecting Nebraskan, even if they aren't a fan, would or should ever do such a thoughtless, selfish thing. If the game is early in the day, and the wedding is at night...I can actually deal with that if nothing is expected of me during the game.

I thought this was sacrosanct in Nebraska. Parents need to raise their children properly, or this is going to get out of hand.

Everyone in my family knows a gameday wedding invitation is automatically rejected by me. Sorry.

Did miss an Oklahoma game about ten years ago due to the death of a grandfather. Big difference, in my mind.

I haven`t been to a wedding in quite some time. A wise man once told me all they want is the gift anyway.

Reactions: bigboxes
I haven`t been to a wedding in quite some time. A wise man once told me all they want is the gift anyway.

I have limited free time. Why would you want to spend it on a wedding for someone you didn't know that well? Of course, my wife lives for this stuff. Watches the freakin' Bachelor/Bachelorette without fail.
HjqFjQn.gif

I have limited free time. Why would you want to spend it on a wedding for someone you didn't know that well? Of course, my wife lives for this stuff. Watches the freakin' Bachelor/Bachelorette without fail.
HjqFjQn.gif

My condolences amigo. I got lucky, my wife hates shows like that.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
My policy is: If the only time I talk to you is at weddings and funerals, then don't bother inviting me to yours because I won't be there. Conversely, if I do know you the rest of the time, then odds are good that I will be there, Nebraska game or not.

And anyway, the tradition is not that you can't have weddings during Nebraska games, it's that the guys will all have an earpiece to listen to the radio call while the ladies give them dirty looks. These days, its sneaking peeks at your smartphone.

No one gets mad if you are looking at your phone...in fact it becomes more of a running joke. Your friends are there and you are drinking...enjoy it. If you don't want to go, skip it.

As an Iowa fan, about to marry a Nebraska fan next fall, I'm happy for this thread. She wanted a fall wedding (in Nebraska) with her entire, colossal catholic family. We settled on the Nebraska - Troy weekend (Iowa vs UNI) and are bringing in TVs for the game. She's not thrilled but that disclaimer is going in the invite. Because it needs to.

I do my best to never attend a wedding on a HUSKER home game & if I attend a wedding on an away game I always take a radio. People might get pissed but they are usually the first ones to come up & ask the score. IMO there are 52 Saturdays in a year. Just leave me alone on about 14 of them

No condolences necessary. I'm either in my office or in the living room watching the game du jour. Went and saw the Rangers by myself on Tuesday night.

anBc212.jpg

yesterday would have been more entertaining. beltre is awesome.

I hear what you're saying, but one of the best times I've had at a wedding was in 2003 on the night Missouri kicked the crap out of the Huskers. I also remember being stuck at my Cousin's wedding in '89 when we lost a tight game to Colorado. Sometimes not being able to watch is a blessing!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT