ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Anyone buy or trade vehicle lately?

I'm coming into last year of lease on 2019 jeep Cherokee trailhawk. Never leased before but 2 reasons I did. Buyout was established at signing rather than wait until lease was over AND it actually pencils out cheaper than owning.

Now upon checking, I could sell it for more money than Buyout ( less than 15000 miles). Not sure what I'm going to do. Keep. Sell. Parlay it towards another or new. I need to reduce by a vehicle. Maybe should just sell and bank the money
It's a better deal across the board to buy your leased vehicle these days. It's been that way for about a year now. If you like the vehicle, buy it and keep it. That's the best financial move at this point. If you don't like the vehicle or you're one of those guys who has to have new stuff every couple years to impress strangers at the stop light, buy it and sell it. Don't just turn it back in, although that will make the dealership very happy.

Always been a shrewd buyer of vehicles and have never bought new. Have always purchased a 2 to 3 year old vehicle with 12K to 40K miles.

Just pains me to buy a sunk depreciating cost item that is 80% or less of the purchase price once you drive it off the lot.

Will be buying new for my next vehicle(s) though. New vehicles are maintaining their value better than ever. My go to 2 to 3 year old vehicle is terrible value in todays market.
I did the same thing a couple years ago. Due to the hurricane and flooding in Texas, used vehicles in several makes/models were high and it was just as good a deal to buy new. But my rule is if you buy a new vehicle, keep it 10 years and that depreciation will level itself out over time. The worst part to me is paying yearly state taxes after buying new.

I'm of the mind that when gas hits 5 or 6 bucks this (or next) summer a lot of those pickups or larger SUVs are going to start getting traded.

I will be on the lookout then because my child isn't going anywhere for a while.

The pickup market might not crash like 2008. Or it might crash worse given interest rates are going up, not down and the prices are still based off of payments for most people.

Either way, I'm one of those guys who is perfectly happy with a gas pickup so I'm way more likely to find a deal. I don't need the diesels like the rest of my family.

Ford and GM have told dealers not to raise prices above MSRP, or else. That applies to Genesis as well, which doesn't allow dealers to negotiate new car prices by corporate policy. I've been waiting for a GV80.

The inventory issues are beyond crazy. Not sure how dealers and particularly their sales gals/guys survive. Supposedly, this inventory business starts to lesson in the 4Q22.

Last edited:
Ford and GM have told dealers not to raise prices above MSRP, or else. That applies to Genesis as well, which doesn't allow dealers to negotiate new car prices by corporate policy. I've been waiting for a GV80.

The inventory issues are beyond crazy. Not sure how dealers and particularly their sales gals/guys survive. Supposedly, this inventory business starts to lesson in the 4Q22.
I talked to a sales manager friend of mine a few months ago. He said that even though that at that time they didn't have many used cars on the lot, the salespeople were making a killing selling new cars at full MSRP. They wouldn't give a trade value if you wanted to trade and required a down payment of at least $1000 and then people had to wait for often 2-3 months to get the car. Then when your new car came in they were only offering auction value for any trades. He said that they had sold twice as many new cars over the past year than they had in previous years.

• Wow
Reactions: AVeritas
It’s only got 52,000 actual miles right now. Good find about a year ago
A GM dealer friend of mine and an independent mechanic said that those things will go over 300,000 miles. I've had friends who owned old Buicks with that engine who did nothing but oil changes and tuneups and drove them for over a decade until the rust was so bad on the car that they didn't want to be seen in it anymore.

There's a fair number of old grandma GM cars with that engine out there that will hit the market with not many miles on them. If style isn't a worry, they are a great buy.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
I drove one of those for a loaner for a few hours. I thought it was about one of the worst cars I'd ever been in the last 10 years.
I don't regret it as I've had no issues, but it's not one I'd recommend. No bells/whistles. Not the greatest ride comfort. Just a basic car. But all I do is drive 15 minutes to work and back.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
I bought a 2020 Kia Telluride 4 months before the pandemic started and my wife has a 17 Civic. We are hoping to be able to sit out the craziness.
What do you think of the Telluride? It's been winning a lot of awards the last couple years and comes in for less money than comparable models. The blacked out ones are really sharp.

I talked to a sales manager friend of mine a few months ago. He said that even though that at that time they didn't have many used cars on the lot, the salespeople were making a killing selling new cars at full MSRP. They wouldn't give a trade value if you wanted to trade and required a down payment of at least $1000 and then people had to wait for often 2-3 months to get the car. Then when your new car came in they were only offering auction value for any trades. He said that they had sold twice as many new cars over the past year than they had in previous years.
You have to sell lots of cars to make a killing as a salesman. Selling Used is more profitable. Then again your definition of making a killing may vary from mine. I end up hiring slots of former car sales folks.

You have to sell lots of cars to make a killing as a salesman. Selling Used is more profitable. Then again your definition of making a killing may vary from mine. I end up hiring slots of former car sales folks.
wat you sale

show me financially how it makes sense to buy a new vehicle. if you plan to keep it 10 years you have my ear
I used to buy late-model used cars, and financially that probably still makes the most sense. But cars have improved so much that you can drive them forever if you take care of them, so it became easier to buy new and take that route. Kept my first new car for 17 years and the one I'm driving now just turned 16. When we're able to keep them that long, I just don't feel like hunting around in the used market is worth it.

show me financially how it makes sense to buy a new vehicle. if you plan to keep it 10 years you have my ear

Go look at prices of used cars, many that are 3 or less years old are going for at or over original MSRP right now. Our old Honda HRV, at 7 years old with 75K miles went for 17.6K, I paid 23.8K for it in 2015, so $6,200 for 7 years of ownership. Let it go for a Jeep Wrangler brand new which I got for $2K under MSRP, I could flip it for 3-5K profit today. The dealer was getting 5-8K over MSRP on used Wranglers with 20-40k miles. This market doesn’t make sense right now.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't know what they're making right now. Some of it depends on which brand's dealership they're working for. It used to be that selling used was more profitable FOR THE DEALER, not necessarily for the salesman. It's been probably 10+ years since my friend sold his GM dealership but when I say that "they're making a killing", that's a relative statement because car salesmen in general tend to live paycheck to paycheck. 12-15 years ago a good salesman could make 50K+ at our local dealers. I have no idea where that number is now.

That said, my buddy had guys selling 80 cars per month so IF that same dealership he used to own has doubled that, they've making some coin. It's funny because you really don't see many cars on the lot but what is happening now is that a lot of people are selling their car rather than take the trade so as soon as their new one arrives, they pick it up and it's gone. There's very little unsold inventory on car lots but I suspect that will start to build soon.

Reactions: TFrazier
The vehicles are practically the same, maybe a couple options between them. The used one which is a CPO, will have a slightly longer Drivetrain Warranty. The dealer will charge a little more money for the vehicle because of this.

Why would you not buy the new one. Better warranty, you put the miles on it, less wear & tear, interest rates are better on new vs used car loans. You get the chance to lease, if that's a route your looking at going. Most vehicles under 3 yrs old are red hot, your dollar is better spent on new.

Brand New 2022 Subaru Forester Limited which are selling at full MSRP.
https://www.baxtersubarulavista.com...Forester-9ffc6aa40a0e09b1790e81db37a6ee30.htm
Vehicle sticker: https://www.baxtersubarulavista.com/api/legacy/pse/windowsticker/subaru?vin=JF2SKAPC6NH443420

2020 Subaru Forester Limited, Two years old, 15K Mileage, Very Good condition, Priced with Standard options. https://www.kbb.com/subaru/forester...de-in&condition=verygood&options=9112014|true

Used 2020 Subaru Forester Limited Selling at practically same price as a new one.
https://www.baxtersubarulavista.com...Forester-5bc079930a0e09af0e6779a87edd5894.htm

The vehicles are practically the same, maybe a couple options between them. The used one which is a CPO, will have a slightly longer Drivetrain Warranty. The dealer will charge a little more money for the vehicle because of this.

Why would you not buy the new one. Better warranty, you put the miles on it, less wear & tear, interest rates are better on new vs used car loans. You get the chance to lease, if that's a route your looking at going. Most vehicles under 3 yrs old are red hot, your dollar is better spent on new.

Brand New 2022 Subaru Forester Limited which are selling at full MSRP.
https://www.baxtersubarulavista.com...Forester-9ffc6aa40a0e09b1790e81db37a6ee30.htm
Vehicle sticker: https://www.baxtersubarulavista.com/api/legacy/pse/windowsticker/subaru?vin=JF2SKAPC6NH443420

2020 Subaru Forester Limited, Two years old, 15K Mileage, Very Good condition, Priced with Standard options. https://www.kbb.com/subaru/forester/2020/limited-sport-utility-4d/?vehicleid=444813&mileage=15000&modalview=false&intent=trade-in-sell&pricetype=trade-in&condition=verygood&options=9112014|true

Used 2020 Subaru Forester Limited Selling at practically same price as a new one.
https://www.baxtersubarulavista.com...Forester-5bc079930a0e09af0e6779a87edd5894.htm

how much value does a new vehicle lose the second you drive it off the lot?

Show me any other investment you start out at 50% loss from you initial investement, and prove to me that it is a good investment. Whether I buy a vehicle that is 3 years old, or brand new, the liklihood I spend any money on it towards repairs is basically 0.

So why would I spend $100k on an investment, when I can get the same value by spending $50k?

Go look at prices of used cars, many that are 3 or less years old are going for at or over original MSRP right now. Our old Honda HRV, at 7 years old with 75K miles went for 17.6K, I paid 23.8K for it in 2015, so $6,200 for 7 years of ownership. Let it go for a Jeep Wrangler brand new which I got for $2K under MSRP, I could flip it for 3-5K profit today. The dealer was getting 5-8K over MSRP on used Wranglers with 20-40k miles. This market doesn’t make sense right now.

Okay, so show me how in a normal economy it makes sense to buy new. It might make sense now for sure, but that's bc our economy is ****ed.

I used to buy late-model used cars, and financially that probably still makes the most sense. But cars have improved so much that you can drive them forever if you take care of them, so it became easier to buy new and take that route. Kept my first new car for 17 years and the one I'm driving now just turned 16. When we're able to keep them that long, I just don't feel like hunting around in the used market is worth it.

Okay, but you are missing the point of opportunity costs. If you buy buy a $100k vehicle new, versus a $50k vehicle used, both which will not need maintenance for at least 5 years.

How much money did you lose by not investing that $50k delta into an appreciating asset - real estate, crypto, stocks, etc.

It's not even close, if you are in the business of building wealth, you simply don't buy new vehicles. It doesn't matter if you have "full coverage warranty" on your vehicle for a new car, bc the likelihood of a new car vs a 3 year old car needs substantial repairs is negligible.

What is comes down to is: do you want $50k of equity to grow, or do you want it to evaporate immediately?

At the end of the day if you are trying to convince yourself that buying a new vehicle makes financial sense, then you aren't in the business of building wealth. End of story. Your 3 year old vehicle is just as likely to last 10 years as your new vehicle if you take care of it. Your "opportunity cost" is that you spent $50k of equity, which is basically doing nothing for you but losing value. Take that $50k and put it to work for you and buy a 3 year old vehicle.

Last edited:
Explain yourself

As already posted, if you are in the business of building wealth, you don't buy new vehicles. Buy at 3 years old. Spend that $30-50k equity into an appreciating asset.

If you have no interest of building wealth, and you like shiny things, buy a new car. It's all good, do what makes you happy, life is short.

But don't give me a lecture of how it's a financially sound decision to purchase a new vehicle. Because it's not.

how much value does a new vehicle lose the second you drive it off the lot?

Show me any other investment you start out at 50% loss from you initial investement, and prove to me that it is a good investment. Whether I buy a vehicle that is 3 years old, or brand new, the liklihood I spend any money on it towards repairs is basically 0.

So why would I spend $100k on an investment, when I can get the same value by spending $50k?
I guess you can type, but can't read. I made my argument and showed my math.

A vehicle driven off the lot, isn't losing value right now or much of it at all (at this point in history) years before in a normal market yes. But not half either, the second you put a mile on it. Residual value of a used car perhaps after 3 years, in decent shape was 50%.

I don't know where you this turned to investments or about wealth. Most common (non RSS people) folk live check to check and don't have enough money to build wealth. A vehicle is a means, to help us survive in a round about way. Not totally necessary, but convenient.

I only ever knew two people in my life that bought cars to make money on them. That was after they spent 1-2 years restoring them and happened to make a few bucks along the way.

As already posted, if you are in the business of building wealth, you don't buy new vehicles. Buy at 3 years old. Spend that $30-50k equity into an appreciating asset.

If you have no interest of building wealth, and you like shiny things, buy a new car. It's all good, do what makes you happy, life is short.

But don't give me a lecture of how it's a financially sound decision to purchase a new vehicle. Because it's not.
Easy There Dave, I was referring to your drunk typing.

Wait...so there is a poster here that thinks people have 100K laying around for a car?

Never change Huskerboarders, never.

Okay, but you are missing the point of opportunity costs. If you buy buy a $100k vehicle new, versus a $50k vehicle used, both which will not need maintenance for at least 5 years.

How much money did you lose by not investing that $50k delta into an appreciating asset - real estate, crypto, stocks, etc.

It's not even close, if you are in the business of building wealth, you simply don't buy new vehicles. It doesn't matter if you have "full coverage warranty" on your vehicle for a new car, bc the likelihood of a new car vs a 3 year old car needs substantial repairs is negligible.

What is comes down to is: do you want $50k of equity to grow, or do you want it to evaporate immediately?

At the end of the day if you are trying to convince yourself that buying a new vehicle makes financial sense, then you aren't in the business of building wealth. End of story. Your 3 year old vehicle is just as likely to last 10 years as your new vehicle if you take care of it. Your "opportunity cost" is that you spent $50k of equity, which is basically doing nothing for you but losing value. Take that $50k and put it to work for you and buy a 3 year old vehicle.
Uh, yeah, easy there big fella. I would never spend $50,000 on a new vehicle, let alone a used one. You should save your rip-roaring financial seminar for someone who needs it, and who is easily impressed.

Red-hot financial tip of the day: Don't spend $100K on a new vehicle.
Tune in tomorrow when we discuss why burning cash in your fireplace may not be a smart investment.

Last edited:
Wait, so if I'm reading these posts correctly...I can buy a new car now, drive it for a little while then sell it as a used vehicle for well over MSRP, much more than I paid for it!

Heading to the dealership now!!!

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Wait, so if I'm reading these posts correctly...I can buy a new car now, drive it for a little while then sell it as a used vehicle for well over MSRP, much more than I paid for it!

Heading to the dealership now!!!
Car buying stories remind me of fishing stories.

The longer it has been since the catch...the bigger the fish gets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT