ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon has been killing it in recruiting

I get that point but what is a "smaller school" in your opinion?

Miami of Ohio, Kent, UAB, Troy, UTSA? Those schools never have a chance to win it all, they never have and for the most part never will. So now a kid can start there, get really good and leave, chasing his dream to win it all...just like his HC would leave if he got a better offer.
I'm not advocating the position. You asked why some would think a certain way and I gave you a reason.

The competition is cutthroat among the top 15-20 schools. This is just another facet.

So a kid may go to the highest bidder out of HS. Then if Whoever U offers him more money to jump ship doesn’t that lead to the jumping around.
I think you misread my post. Yes, what you described would lead to the jumping around. BUT if you had some stipulations (you can get paid, but if you transfer you have to sit out or you can only transfer once or whatever OR there's a retention bonus of some sort) then that could potentially stop all of the transferring.

So to me, it's not so much of players getting paid that causes all of the transferring, it's that there are zero consequences if you do decide to transfer often.

Well they are all gonna waste it on stupid stuff. We sure did when we were kids
Believe it or not, i never did waste money when I was a kid. In 1971, when I enlisted in the USAF at age 17 the monthly pay was $ 288.00 and I sent $ 150.00 a month to my mom to make sure she had a place to live and food to eat.
Less than 18 months later I still managed to buy a 1969 Dodge Charger for $1,500.00 cash.
Different era, different economy.

As a side note, as a 6th grader when school got out at 3:30 I would jog 15 blocks downtown and worked at a restaurant washing dishes, peeling potatoes, making hamburger patties, etc and got off at 10:30 every night. Then I zigzagged through the alleys to where ever we were living that month so I didn't get picked up for curfew.
For my 30 hours of work I got a check for $ 12.50. And I always had money.
We weren't all brought up with a mom/dad three squares with a white picket fence.
The next year, at age 12, I started studying horses since I knew that would be a way to eventually make a lot of money. I've never looked back. Money meant freedom.

Last edited:
Careful. I got a week's vacation for saying that word.😞
I thought you got that vay cay for threatening to beat the brakes off some dude in a HyVee parking lot.......

Michael Jackson Watching A Movie And Eating Popcorn GIF

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I think you misread my post. Yes, what you described would lead to the jumping around. BUT if you had some stipulations (you can get paid, but if you transfer you have to sit out or you can only transfer once or whatever OR there's a retention bonus of some sort) then that could potentially stop all of the transferring.

So to me, it's not so much of players getting paid that causes all of the transferring, it's that there are zero consequences if you do decide to transfer often.

I don't think kids getting paid is the issue. Its that kids jump around much more often & there are mega-conferences.

Well, to be fair, you didn't say that in the original post. It is a kind of after the fact idea as the NCAA is allowing anything and everything. All it would take is one player to sue saying he/she was not allowed to make more NIL money because some school offered him/her more money and the NCAA had rules against that. The courts are going to say, yep, everyone is a free agent until we overhaul the system and pay everyone a salary and you all become employees. But for now, the window is wide open to the highest bidder and that doesn't end with their freshman year. Money will always be the driver of the machine. Especially for 18 year old kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT