ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St offers Carlon Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key And Peele Reaction GIF

From everything I've heard, tampering is rampant everywhere. Really hard to get that toothpaste back in the tube if everyone is doing it.
Which is why culture is so important. Make it so the guys will want to stay even when bag men from other universities come. Quite frankly, I think that’s what Rhule is all about. Will we lose players? Yep, probably every year, but if the guys like it here and want to be here, maybe they listen less to other suitors, until we can get our NIL game more robust.

If we want to be like Iowa and be content with an endless string of 8-4 or 9-3 seasons then we should never have fired Pelini. And if we aspire to return to be a perennial top 10 team then we cannot become a program in our recruiting that can only recruit players the other elite teams do not want. This is why I think we will lose Carlon Jones in this head to head with OSU. This was Frost's problem in recruiting. He initially brought in a lot of four star guys but many of them were low four stars who had issues that caused other teams to back off. And as soon as the better ones got here and proved themselves, off they went to somewhere else.

Transfer portal combined with NIL money has created free agency in college football and the fact is that if we want to return to elite status we need to pay elite money and we need to not be shy about poaching players from other teams since this is now standard practice. We can pick up some elite players that way which will then allow us to slowly build a strong foundation with a bunch of high three star guys out of high school who actually want to play for the University of Nebraska and Rhule and his staff.

The days are long gone where we can rely solely on recruiting high school kids. It has to be a combination. And increasingly, if we want to bring in elite players right out of high school, they too are going to need to see our cash drawer.

This is my number one concern about Husker football right now. Perhaps those on this board who have a lot more knowledge than I do about the inner workings of Husker football can disabuse me of my mistakes if I have made any. But from where I sit it seems to me that we are late to the NIL party and need a much bigger private business war chest.

If we want to be like Iowa and be content with an endless string of 8-4 or 9-3 seasons then we should never have fired Pelini. And if we aspire to return to be a perennial top 10 team then we cannot become a program in our recruiting that can only recruit players the other elite teams do not want. This is why I think we will lose Carlon Jones in this head to head with OSU. This was Frost's problem in recruiting. He initially brought in a lot of four star guys but many of them were low four stars who had issues that caused other teams to back off. And as soon as the better ones got here and proved themselves, off they went to somewhere else.

Transfer portal combined with NIL money has created free agency in college football and the fact is that if we want to return to elite status we need to pay elite money and we need to not be shy about poaching players from other teams since this is now standard practice. We can pick up some elite players that way which will then allow us to slowly build a strong foundation with a bunch of high three star guys out of high school who actually want to play for the University of Nebraska and Rhule and his staff.

The days are long gone where we can rely solely on recruiting high school kids. It has to be a combination. And increasingly, if we want to bring in elite players right out of high school, they too are going to need to see our cash drawer.

This is my number one concern about Husker football right now. Perhaps those on this board who have a lot more knowledge than I do about the inner workings of Husker football can disabuse me of my mistakes if I have made any. But from where I sit it seems to me that we are late to the NIL party and need a much bigger private business war chest.

Good post. I share your concerns. Recruiting was always my concern with Rhule regardless of today's NIL landscape. But, I don't think we need to press the panic button just yet. Rhule appears to be getting more out of less like he's done at his previous stops. My hope is this is a longer term plan to build with so we can show we're an appealing destination down the road.

Today, we'd need to drastically overpay any of the elite players in the NIL game. Those players are going to be offered big money from much more appealing programs than us. So, we'd have to money whip the crap out of almost all of them. We may not be willing or able to do that.

But, start stacking up a few years of Rhule doing more with less and showing he can get guys to the league and being able to illustrate that we're just a few elite players away from being a top 10 team, those elite NIL players start to become more realistic.

It may take a few years, but I can see that plan working. Or at least that's my hope.

OSU is also pursuing Amaris Williams, a current Florida commit, at DE. One of the recruiting analysts on an OSU site thinks Jones may end up at DT down the road.

Isn't this the exact reason that some believe Clemson's program is slipping because Dabo isn't fully embracing NIL and the portal? If they are at risk of dropping out of the elite for not adequately adapting to the new landscape of college football, it makes the hill we are trying to climb to get back there that much steeper, if not impossible, if we don't adapt.

Isn't this the exact reason that some believe Clemson's program is slipping because Dabo isn't fully embracing NIL and the portal? If they are at risk of dropping out of the elite for not adequately adapting to the new landscape of college football, it makes the hill we are trying to climb to get back there that much steeper, if not impossible, if we don't adapt.
Clemson has had some excellent classes the past few years and looks to be having a good class lined up for 2024, this season is a tough one for them but next year could be a bounce back to a much better year.

Unfortunately, one of the richest men in the world lives in Nebraska and apparently he doesn’t give a damn about the football team.

Elite QB and elite DL....NIL cash needs. Unless we run more option then we are good at recruiting QB without loads of cash.

Reactions: Pogue
I think we will lose him. OSU is an elite program. Hard to resist. And they get the NIL reality. We do not.
i think we get the NIL reality. The problem is that we have about a fourth of the alumni base of schools like OSU and Michigan. People who give large donations want their names on buildings for the most part. Another issue is the size of the advertising market in Nebraska compared to much more population dense areas like Michigan and Ohio. It’s much more difficult to logically justify paying a kid 250k in NIL money and expect a return on his endorsements in Nebraska as an advertising expense. It’s the same dilemma that small market pro teams run in to and we can’t use shared TV revenue for NIL payments☹️

Hopefully people are already seeing they’ll get a much better ROI on their investment with Rhule and so that will really open up the NIL money. I know if I was one of those people it would feel like throwing money away before he got here.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
i think we get the NIL reality. The problem is that we have about a fourth of the alumni base of schools like OSU and Michigan. People who give large donations want their names on buildings for the most part. Another issue is the size of the advertising market in Nebraska compared to much more population dense areas like Michigan and Ohio. It’s much more difficult to logically justify paying a kid 250k in NIL money and expect a return on his endorsements in Nebraska as an advertising expense. It’s the same dilemma that small market pro teams run in to and we can’t use shared TV revenue for NIL payments☹️
Well then we are screwed. Because today you need a lot of money to buy the best players.

I don't. It just seems we are not on any of the lists of biggest NIL schools.
The only thing I have heard is when Casey said NU NIL money is greater than Texas. Wish I had a better understanding. You would think we could compete for a 5 star here or there. The real question in my mind isn't how much money is available, but what is the strategy? Everyone gets a taste or focus on top talent and ignore the rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT