ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Thread: Computer Issue.

EggR

May 24, 2024
Good morning everyone.

I ordered a new laptop about a month ago. When I received it, I booted it up, and did the setup process. After that, I let it sit for about a month, now the screen won't show anything. I can tell that it wants to work, but it's still a black screen.

I've passed the return window or I would just return it. Anybody have any suggestions on how to make it work? I think I'm going to just order a new computer, I can't figure this out.

shine a flashlight on the screen. if you can see the screen with the flashlight, the backlight crapped out. will need to be repaired under mfg warranty.

hook a external monitor to it. if the external monitor works, something crapped out with the screen or motherboard. mfg warranty.

Seeing the pattern?

Could also try with it unplugged holding down the power button for 10 seconds or so when its on. then turn it back on. or leave it on, unplugged. let battery drain. then plug it back in and turn on.

Where did you buy it? Given this was 11 years ago, but Best Buy could usually send it off for manufacture warranty work, given you didn't throw it in a lake, punch the screen, spill a liquid on it etc.

Also your solution for a 1 month old laptop that isn't working is magically buying a new one?

Reactions: EggR
shine a flashlight on the screen. if you can see the screen with the flashlight, the backlight crapped out. will need to be repaired under mfg warranty.

hook a external monitor to it. if the external monitor works, something crapped out with the screen or motherboard. mfg warranty.

Seeing the pattern?

Could also try with it unplugged holding down the power button for 10 seconds or so when its on. then turn it back on. or leave it on, unplugged. let battery drain. then plug it back in and turn on.

Where did you buy it? Given this was 11 years ago, but Best Buy could usually send it off for manufacture warranty work, given you didn't throw it in a lake, punch the screen, spill a liquid on it etc.

Also your solution for a 1 month old laptop that isn't working is magically buying a new one?

I was hoping I wouldn't need to ship it off, to keep it brief that's just not something I do, I didn't buy a warranty plan on it or anything. I could have a repair person fix it, but at that point I'm probably better off just buying a new computer. Buying a new computer is probably the best option.

I was hoping it wasn't a motherboard issue, but I think that is what it is. I already tried it with external monitor, holding power button, etc., none of those worked.

I was hoping I wouldn't need to ship it off, to keep it brief that's just not something I do, I didn't buy a warranty plan on it or anything. I could have a repair person fix it, but at that point I'm probably better off just buying a new computer. Buying a new computer is probably the best option.

I was hoping it wasn't a motherboard issue, but I think that is what it is. I already tried it with external monitor, holding power button, etc., none of those worked.
I understand it can be a hassle to pack it up and take it to a UPS store, especially if you have to go thru a roundabout

Your return window (30 days) is different from the manufacturer's warranty period, which in most cases is a year. Contact the manufacturer and they should authorize the return for warranty work. Much cheaper than just buying a new computer, unless it was super cheap to begin with.

Your return window (30 days) is different from the manufacturer's warranty period, which in most cases is a year. Contact the manufacturer and they should authorize the return for warranty work. Much cheaper than just buying a new computer, unless it was super cheap to begin with.

I called them, they said I could ship it to them because there aren't any technicians in our area, otherwise they would have had someone come look at it. The issue is I don't have weeks to wait, so I had to get a new one. I'll probably send this one in. Kind of a downer considering I haven't even really used it at all yet.

I called them, they said I could ship it to them because there aren't any technicians in our area, otherwise they would have had someone come look at it. The issue is I don't have weeks to wait, so I had to get a new one. I'll probably send this one in. Kind of a downer considering I haven't even really used it at all yet.
These things happen all the time, to everyone, and yes it's a bummer.

Here's the lesson: always test everything before the return window closes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT