ADVERTISEMENT

NW vs Purdue

cruelhalo

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 27, 2003
PU just tied it and went to a time out. That crowd was F—ING insane! Awesome atmosphere and a great game.

Good for Chris Collins for calling out the gutless shithead who not only refused to call the incredibly obvious chicken wing on this year's conference darling, but then bailed out Jones when he turned the ball over. The officiating in this conference is an absolute joke, and will remain so as long as a few power coaches decide which refs get to keep the Power 5 gigs.

Good for Chris Collins for calling out the gutless shithead who not only refused to call the incredibly obvious chicken wing on this year's conference darling, but then bailed out Jones when he turned the ball over. The officiating in this conference is an absolute joke, and will remain so as long as a few power coaches decide which refs get to keep the Power 5 gigs.
JFC , just as many teams have gotten screwed at NW and all other road games.

JFC , just as many teams have gotten screwed at NW and all other road games.
Well maybe Collins should just take the Tom Izzo/Matt Painter approach and blubber like a baby right from the opening tip, instead of waiting for a horrible call to complain. That seems to be the way to avoid technical fouls.

I just hate how Fred is somehow the conference bitch. Dude played in the NBA for a decade, coached in the NBA, made a run or two in the dance at ISU and he gets treated no better than if I went out there and coached. I'm guessing with his heart thing he tries to stay calm but man, we could use a little more fire when our guys get tossed around like ragdolls in the lane.

I just hate how Fred is somehow the conference bitch. Dude played in the NBA for a decade, coached in the NBA, made a run or two in the dance at ISU and he gets treated no better than if I went out there and coached. I'm guessing with his heart thing he tries to stay calm but man, we could use a little more fire when our guys get tossed around like ragdolls in the lane.
Hey man, as long as the officiating is terrible all the time, nobody should ever complain about it. Just let the same refs phone it in year after year after year after year, and it's all good.

Big Ten refs cost those teams come tourney time. It sucks

So, Fred needs to channel his inner Bob Knight every so often. Knight held refs accountable for a long time and it worked. Then he lost his shit and lost it.

fred is too passive.

Reactions: huskerfan66
PU just tied it and went to a time out. That crowd was F—ING insane! Awesome atmosphere and a great game.
My wife and I went to a friend's birthday dinner at a restaurant tonight at 6:00PM PST. Before we left, I was back in our bathroom taking a shower and getting ready while watching the Husker women play Purdue on my iPad. My wife was out in the family room watching her Boilers play Northwestern. I never, ever hear my wife swear. Then suddenly blasting from the front of the house comes "OH, F..K!!!". I guess the Boilers weren't doing so well.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
46-8 FT discrepancy in favor of Purdue? Holy $hit. And Buie shoots 2 FT all night? Double holy $hit.

That's one of those situations where as a ref at some point you've got to get together and say "Hey, uhh, we probably need to make this look good because right now it, uhh, doesn't look too good."

That was the B1G protecting their #1 seed at all costs. And, it's why Purdue will lose early again in the tourney because those games won't be officiated anything like that.

46-8 FT discrepancy in favor of Purdue? Holy $hit. And Buie shoots 2 FT all night? Double holy $hit.

That's one of those situations where as a ref at some point you've got to get together and say "Hey, uhh, we probably need to make this look good because right now it, uhh, doesn't look too good."

That was the B1G protecting their #1 seed at all costs. And, it's why Purdue will lose early again in the tourney because those games won't be officiated anything like that.
Refs are like "Well, we reward the team that is more aggressive"

Okay but the reason the other team is not as "aggressive" is because you are not sending them to the line when they get mugged?!?!?!

Refs are like "Well, we reward the team that is more aggressive"

Okay but the reason the other team is not as "aggressive" is because you are not sending them to the line when they get mugged?!?!?!
Northwestern shot a ton of long 2’s and 3’s. Points in the paint was mostly floaters because they wanted to get it off before Edey swatted it. Want them to call fouls on low contact shots? Whereas Purdue hammered it inside. “We have 15 fouls to use on Edey and plan to use them all” -Collin’s

Additionally, extending the game and ejection free throws skewed the number by about 10. Was two very different styles played. Could nit pick some calls going both ways throughout the game.

Northwestern shot a ton of long 2’s and 3’s. Points in the paint was mostly floaters because they wanted to get it off before Edey swatted it. Want them to call fouls on low contact shots? Whereas Purdue hammered it inside. “We have 15 fouls to use on Edey and plan to use them all” -Collin’s

Additionally, extending the game and ejection free throws skewed the number by about 10. Was two very different styles played. Could nit pick some calls going both ways throughout the game.
Gay response. Yes, I want them to call it every single time there is contact, because that is the rule. It is not when they feel like it. That is not the rule.

Edy goes over the back on every rebound. True of false?

A: True
B: True

Remember last year when your lame team got smoked by that 16 seed with like 9 wins...They did not call half the shit that team did. I am sure you were like "Well, those were low contact"

Come on man, you are pretty normal for the most part. Don't get all unnormal now.

Gay response. Yes, I want them to call it every single time there is contact, because that is the rule. It is not when they feel like it. That is not the rule.

Edy goes over the back on every rebound. True of false?

A: True
B: True

Remember last year when your lame team got smoked by that 16 seed with like 9 wins...They did not call half the shit that team did. I am sure you were like "Well, those were low contact"

Come on man, you are pretty normal for the most part. Don't get all unnormal now.
I don’t know what last year has to do with this years team.

But no, edey does not go over the back all the time. He does sometimes, but when he’s straight up and reaches over, that’s not over the back. I’m perfectly fine calling every foul a foul. Edey would be unstoppable. Every arm bar, pushing him off the block, and cylinder foul would make him impossible to guard.

Not sure what’s wrong with my response though. Did you watch the game last night? Or just look at the box score? By low contact, I meant jump shots where contact is not there.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13

But no, edey does not go over the back all the time. He does sometimes, but when he’s straight up and reaches over, that’s not over the back. I’m perfectly fine calling every foul a foul. Edey would be unstoppable. Every arm bar, pushing him off the block, and cylinder foul would make him impossible to guard.

Not sure what’s wrong with my response though. Did you watch the game last night? Or just look at the box score?
In your defense....on the last foul that one of Northwestern's guys had, this guy was practically dating Edey, they were so close
BTW....I know, a bit, the Northwestern guy who got leg whipped...Berry? Great kid...
(I'm just showing off a bit)

Not sure what’s wrong with my response though. Did you watch the game last night? Or just look at the box score? By low contact, I meant jump shots where contact is not there.
TLDR. There is no rational explanation for a 46-8 FT discrepancy. I watched the game.

In your defense....on the last foul that one of Northwestern's guys had, this guy was practically dating Edey, they were so close
BTW....I know, a bit, the Northwestern guy who got leg whipped...Berry? Great kid...
(I'm just showing off a bit)
He was hot early. Could do no wrong. Thought for sure he was going to shoot northwestern to a win. Loved Painters quotes on him after the game. Great player

TLDR. There is no rational explanation for a 46-8 FT discrepancy. I watched the game.
So you saw Northwestern shoot a bunch of midrange shots and threes and Purdue pound it inside? You saw the 10ish late free throws to skew it? Guessing you saw some missed calls both ways as well?

Edit: do you think the net free throw rate has anything to do with this?

Purdue is top 20 in free throws shot and given up. Northwestern is sub 320 in both.

Last edited:
So you saw Northwestern shoot a bunch of midrange shots and threes and Purdue pound it inside? You saw the 10ish late free throws to skew it? Guessing you saw some missed calls both ways as well?

Purdue is top 20 in free throws shot and given up. Northwestern is sub 320 in both.
It was a good game to watch. Kinda wanted nw to win but figured better for us if Purdue won. Didn't have a dog in the fight but glad I watched

Actually Purdue got numerous calls in crunch time as do most good teams at home : I don’t pay to much attention to the FTs difference when you have completely different styles of attack.i like Painter he is a good coach and a class act. But Big Ten doesn’t do him or the other top Teams in the big an any favors by the way they officiate their games. Again I don’t expect Purdue to get into the second weekend again.

Reactions: huskerfan66

No, it was definitely like 36-8 when the game was decided, still an inexplicable discrepancy. Actually I'm totally swayed by your logic and I'm sure that you think the games will officiated exactly like that in March. No worries for Purdue fans, your team will be just fine at the tourney without B1G officiating.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Apparently it's nit-picking to point out when a player chicken-wings his way past an opponent, falls flat on his face despite no other contact with the defender, fumbles the ball out of bounds and still manages to cry his way into a game-ending foul call.

But hey, other than that, it was really a 50/50 call that could have gone either way.

Actually Purdue got numerous calls in crunch time as do most good teams at home : I don’t pay to much attention to the FTs difference when you have completely different styles of attack.i like Painter he is a good coach and a class act. But Big Ten doesn’t do him or the other top Teams in the big an any favors by the way they officiate their games. Again I don’t expect Purdue to get into the second weekend again.
I expect Purdue to get into the second weekend. This is a much different team than last year. Guard led, which I love. Helps to have one of the best PG’s in the country and more athleticism. Something severely lacking last year. Freshman wall hurt Purdue a lot last season.

Are you implying it’s called different outside the big ten?

No, it was definitely like 36-8 when the game was decided, still an inexplicable discrepancy. Actually I'm totally swayed by your logic and I'm sure that you think the games will officiated exactly like that in March. No worries for Purdue fans, your team will be just fine at the tourney without B1G officiating.
Purdue has the longest regular season non conference winning streak in the country, while playing one of the toughest non conferences in that stretch. Refs had nothing to do with the early loss last year. So not sure what you mean by your comment.

Apparently it's nit-picking to point out when a player chicken-wings his way past an opponent, falls flat on his face despite no other contact with the defender, fumbles the ball out of bounds and still manages to cry his way into a game-ending foul call.

But hey, other than that, it was really a 50/50 call that could have gone either way.
I thought you were talking about the boo buie hip check on lance that essentially ended the game at northwestern, then I realized you weren’t.

I expect Purdue to get into the second weekend. This is a much different team than last year. Guard led, which I love. Helps to have one of the best PG’s in the country and more athleticism. Something severely lacking last year. Freshman wall hurt Purdue a lot last season.

Are you implying it’s called different outside the big ten?
I think to your last statement, he might be implying that it’s not called FAVORABLY outside the Big Ten.
I’ve got no bone with Purdue… I root for the Big 10… but the refs are below par

I think to your last statement, he might be implying that it’s not called FAVORABLY outside the Big Ten.
I’ve got no bone with Purdue… I root for the Big 10… but the refs are below par
Big ten refs suck. Absolutely. It’s amazing watching the non conference and then going to the conference. Felt like Purdue could play with more freedom and pace in the non conference.

Not to look beyond a great season on-going, but I’m curious how it looks the next couple years as PJ continues to speed up the pace of play and Purdue brings in more athleticism at the guard and wing, going away from the big, back to the basket big.

OIP.-4VNVgpDGitbB9ayQyYXMgHaD4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT