ADVERTISEMENT

NU-CU - Everyone Will Be Watching

First Team All-Big Ten
Jul 27, 2002
For better or worse, most of the country's CFB fans will watch this game. Not much in that same time window, and with the CU performance and Travis Hunter talk, it will be on everywhere.

It is a big opportunity to finally stand up for 60 minutes and get a win. Or just continue to lose on national TV.

Throw us a bone guys.

For better or worse, most of the country's CFB fans will watch this game. Not much in that same time window, and with the CU performance and Travis Hunter talk, it will be on everywhere.

It is a big opportunity to finally stand up for 60 minutes and get a win. Or just continue to lose on national TV.

Throw us a bone guys.
Until Nebraska does otherwise, I expect they will lose, and it could be rather one sided. I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I just don't see a win in boulder. I'm more than ready to eat a lot of crow, however.

I had really hoped both teams would have been 1-0 coming into this game. Now we need a W just to save face.

I think we can eek out a win if we can run and limit their touches on offense. Then again I might have to turn this game off at halftime. I hope not.

Reactions: BleedRed78
People will be watching mostly to see the Sanders brothers.

Another big storyline line will be the path each of our programs took in order to rebuild. A loss against CU would be very damaging for us in recruiting, imo.
The same against Wisc. But could very much impact this rebuild either way.

People will be watching mostly to see the Sanders brothers along with their dad.

Another big storyline will be the path each of our programs took in order to rebuild. A loss against CU would be very damaging for us in recruiting, imo.
I think where the programs end up toward the end of the year will be more decisive in regard to recruiting,

The national spotlight will all be on Deion and the Buffs. Nobody really cares (outside of our fanbase) about our storied tradition. We have no current identity, and haven't for decades. Just another Midwest program that used to be good.
Unfortunately, we do have an identity, its being a team that consistently beats itself with .mistakes. Also unfortunate that rhule perpetuated that identity in his first game at the helm. As good as CU looked throwing the ball, that team looks like it has a lot of flaws that can be exploited with a good game plan and execution. It would be a hugh uplift to the program if rhule can take advantage of those weaknesses and walk out of Boulder with a win.

Two biggest games to watch next Saturday will be Nebraska at Colorado on FOX and texass at Alabama on ESPN..

There is a reason why FOX puts their top game of the week at 11:00 central..
Scarlett is right. Spent too much time watching the OU blow out when I should have been watching the Buff-TCU game after half time. What a great game in Ft. Worth. So focus this weekend on Huskers vs. Buffs and expect the UT-Bama game is later.

Reactions: Huskerpro and 8990
Is Joe Klatt doing the game? If so will we make it thru the first quarter without him contradicting himself saying “Nebraska fans need to be patient, it’s going to take Rhule time to rebuild Nebraska” then eventually talk about “Sanders has turned Colorado around over night due to the new advantages new coaches have now in college football.”

Is Joe Klatt doing the game? If so will we make it thru the first quarter without him contradicting himself saying “Nebraska fans need to be patient, it’s going to take Rhule time to rebuild Nebraska” then eventually talk about “Sanders has turned Colorado around over night due to the new advantages new coaches have now in college football.”

Can’t both be true?

Reactions: WHCSC
Dieon took Jackson state from 5 and 5 to conference champ in year 2.

Rhule did that at Temple in year 4 and did not capture the conference title at Baylor in his 3 years there. Div title in year three.

I agree. Tons of people will be watching this game. How glorious would it be to spoil the Coach Prime for Messiah party on national TV.

We do have a chance since we do not know just how good or bad each team really is. The key is our defense since we know our offense will suck. We cannot let them come out of the gate fast and furious and go up 21-0 before we even have a chance to piss out our pre game beer. As bad as we have been in close games of late, I like our chances in a close game.

But the realist in me says we are going to get smoked. That is what we do when the national spotlight is on us going all the way back to the end of the Solich years. We never win big games. Never. I doubt we start now.

But this is why we play the games. We might just do it this time.

I agree. Tons of people will be watching this game. How glorious would it be to spoil the Coach Prime for Messiah party on national TV.

We do have a chance since we do not know just how good or bad each team really is. The key is our defense since we know our offense will suck. We cannot let them come out of the gate fast and furious and go up 21-0 before we even have a chance to piss out our pre game beer. As bad as we have been in close games of late, I like our chances in a close game.

But the realist in me says we are going to get smoked. That is what we do when the national spotlight is on us going all the way back to the end of the Solich years. We never win big games. Never. I doubt we start now.

I think wewill know fairly early on how this game will go. If we see our defense frustrating CU offense early on, and our offense is able to move the ball on the ground and finish with points. That bodes well for NU. Now if we come out, go 3 and out on offense, then CU scores on their 1st couple drives… well I don’t really want to talk about it if that’s how the 1st quarter goes.🫤

We need to find a way to score early and often and be the most physical team to win. They are going to throw a lot of quick slant passes and quick side line passes. We have to be ready to tackle, cover and intercept.

I think wewill know fairly early on how this game will go. If we see our defense frustrating CU offense early on, and our offense is able to move the ball on the ground and finish with points. That bodes well for NU. Now if we come out, go 3 and out on offense, then CU scores on their 1st couple drives… well I don’t really want to talk about it if that’s how the 1st quarter goes.🫤
That is it in a nutshell. We CANNOT let them come out of the gate and get ahead of us by two scores or more before the end of the 1st quarter. That is my biggest fear about this game. We have to play solid defense and solid special teams and maybe force a turnover or two early on to set the tone. And if, by some f$cking miracle, our offense actually manages to move the chains, eat some clock and to score then so much the better.

You guys want to believe in miracles, and that's fine, but the last time Nebraska showed up for a big game was Missouri 2010. We've lost, and sometimes in embarrassing fashion, literally every other meaningful game since then. There is absolutely zero reason to think anything will be different. Colorado is on a roll and may win their conference, we are in the "3 years away from being 3 years away" zone. We made a huge mistake with this hire and it's going to cost the program, university, and state dearly.

I agree that embarrassing losses, either from margin of defeat, or by choking games away in every way imaginable have seemingly been the norm for every coach since the later part of the Solich era.

Rhule was hired to restore the respectability of the program. Obviously he has to win to do that, but not far behind that is stopping the program from embarrassing itself in defeat.

I'm not putting too much stock into a loss to CU but it's a golden opportunity to change the national narrative on our program. This game isn't about building up the program overnight to compete with the Ohio States and Michigans in our conference, it's about a strong showing against another rebuilding program.

The setup seems very familiar doesn't it?
Reminds me of last year's Oklahoma game. We weren't anything close to ready.

That is it in a nutshell. We CANNOT let them come out of the gate and get ahead of us by two scores or more before the end of the 1st quarter. That is my biggest fear about this game. We have to play solid defense and solid special teams and maybe force a turnover or two early on to set the tone. And if, by some f$cking miracle, our offense actually manages to move the chains, eat some clock and to score then so much the better.
With the exception of multiple costly turnovers, the only way Colorado wins big is if Nebraska does not commit to the run.

Commitment means staying with the game plan even if Colorado jumps up to a two score (or more) lead early.

I foresee a close scoring game, the difference within 4-6 points.

Now that's what I like. A statement that covers all possibilities. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Pennsyhusker

Basically, CU won a track meet against a future league opponent. If White’s defense is legit, the game won’t play out that way.
Yes, and every game will be that way < /sarc>. Those are just stats. TCU had some explosive plays going ultratempo that caught CU out of gap position. One run was 76 yards I believe. The ypc go down to 5 with that run taken out. Not good, but not out of this world bad. With more reinforcements coming on defense this week, a lot of film work, and a slower tempo team, I doubt many of those same opportunities will exist. TCU did run good crossing and rub routes that take patience and good timing that certainly hurt CU, but I didn't see Nebraska executing much of that type of offense. Totally different scheme that is in many ways simpler to defend than what TCU ran. I thought it was just as much a great job scheme wise as it was CU's defense doing a poor job. Much of the work done in the 2nd half as the heat wilted a tired D. I guess we'll see. I do agree CU won a track meet, but don't think it had to end up that way. CU left way too many points on the field in the first half (2 dropped TD passes, fumble) or there really isn't much drama in that game. Special teams were definitely horrendous though. Not sure what to say there.

Yes, and every game will be that way < /sarc>. Those are just stats. TCU had some explosive plays going ultratempo that caught CU out of gap position. One run was 76 yards I believe. The ypc go down to 5 with that run taken out. Not good, but not out of this world bad. With more reinforcements coming on defense this week, a lot of film work, and a slower tempo team, I doubt many of those same opportunities will exist. TCU did run good crossing and rub routes that take patience and good timing that certainly hurt CU, but I didn't see Nebraska executing much of that type of offense. Totally different scheme that is in many ways simpler to defend than what TCU ran. I thought it was just as much a great job scheme wise as it was CU's defense doing a poor job. Much of the work done in the 2nd half as the heat wilted a tired D. I guess we'll see. I do agree CU won a track meet, but don't think it had to end up that way. CU left way too many points on the field in the first half (2 dropped TD passes, fumble) or there really isn't much drama in that game. Special teams were definitely horrendous though. Not sure what to say there.
You're not being an arrogant prick this year, what gives?

Reactions: leodisflowers
You're not being an arrogant prick this year, what gives?
You and bugeater are better at that than I 😜. Actually, you guys are pretty tame these days. Some of these younger cats though, egads! I have no beef with Husker fans. The old days are long gone. You guys are a rung down from Oregon, USC, and Utah fans. Those folks are insufferable.

• Haha
Dieon took Jackson state from 5 and 5 to conference champ in year 2.

Rhule did that at Temple in year 4 and did not capture the conference title at Baylor in his 3 years there. Div title in year three.

In year 3 at Baylor, Rhule only lost to Lincoln Riley's Oklahoma at the peak of their powers and Kirby Smart's Georgia. Which is the best team Sanders beat at his time in J-state?

You and bugeater are better at that than I 😜. Actually, you guys are pretty tame these days. Some of these younger cats though, egads! I have no beef with Husker fans. The old days are long gone. You guys are a rung down from Oregon, USC, and Utah fans. Those folks are insufferable.
Haha, fair enough. You're probably right regarding the younger fans. I'm 40 and a native Coloradan and have enough friends and acquaintances who talk plenty because we grew up hating each other. I don't see how anyone younger than 30 would hate either team. 🤷

There is certainly room to have a little faith in Nebraska against CU. The Buffs gave 42 points to an offense that had 8 new starters and a new OC. Now your coaching staff also has usable film on this offense. TCU was flying kind of blind. CU wasn't running the regular JSU offense. And I'd bet the rent they threw EVERYTHING in their playbook out there. TCU was also 130th in giving up plays of 20+ yards last year. Guess how they got beat Saturday? Big chunk plays. TCU also had two turnovers in CU's endzone on dumb playcalls. They kept going at Travis Hunter.

Pound the ball running and slow down the whole game. NU has a shot.

Reactions: SkerInCo
So long runs just dont count now? If we are getting 5 yards a pop, Im good dude.

In year 3 at Baylor, Rhule only lost to Lincoln Riley's Oklahoma at the peak of their powers and Kirby Smart's Georgia. Which is the best team Sanders beat at his time in J-state?
Would you say Baylor after 3 years of intentional recruiting and development more prepared to face off against their opponents than Dieon's Jackson State team with only 2?

Not to mention Rhule had what you might be able to call practice as a head coach at Temple.

What team did Sanders warm up with prior to his 2 year conference championship at the college level?

Would you say Baylor after 3 years of intentional recruiting and development more prepared to face off against their opponents than Dieon's Jackson State team with only 2?

Not to mention Rhule had what you might be able to call practice as a head coach at Temple.

What team did Sanders warm up with prior to his 2 year conference championship at the college level?
Just to be clear, are you comparing the competition that Sanders coached against vs. the Big 12?

Just to be clear, are you comparing the competition that Sanders coached against vs. the Big 12?
To be absolutely clear I was giving reasons as to WHY -Klatt- MIGHT use language that would indicate that Colorado would have success earlier than Nebraska via the records of their respective head coaches.

And I'm writing this in response to your question because I get the feeling that what I'm communicating is getting lost in the mail for some reason.

So long runs just dont count now? If we are getting 5 yards a pop, Im good dude.
Never said it didn't. Just not a play that's likely to happen again in the way it happened. 5 ypc is good but might not be good enough to win if you can't punch it in and can't get stops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT