ADVERTISEMENT

No way this kills 1.5-3mil people. A NBA example. High risk group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.

10 out of 450 NBA players have Covid. I assume they are all tested.

That is a 2% infection rate. Globally, 150mil.

At a 1-2% kill rate Covid needs to murder 1.5-3mil people.

BS

GBR

The latest stat I can find is that there are almost 48 million Americans over the age of 60. 1-2% would be 480,000-960,000.

Obesity another risk factor. 40% of adults in the US are considered obese.

35 million American adults have chronic lung disease.

1.8 million Americans are diagnosed with cancer every year.

1.1 million Americans have HIV

3% of American adults have suppressed immune systems.

25 million Americans has asthma.

30K Americans have Cystic Fibrosis.

Am I well over 2 million yet?

This will be my one and final post on this forum.

SOFL Husker is likely correct. This entire outbreak is overblown.

I feel terribly for the people about to retire. They likely won't be able to for a long time if they haven't been smart about their investments.

For everyone else, you're being hoodwinked. We've already heard about 3 politicians who sold stock right before this outbreak happened. I have a feeling we will hear about more, and not just politicians.

Trump is fighting for the battle of his life. Not only for his political career, but for the rest of this country. He is the only one telling the truth. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the power to silence everyone, including some of his advisors.

As I said, this will be my final post on this forum. I know there are certain people that think I am an 'idiot' and 'a piece of shit', but I don't care. Stay safe, stay healthy, and good bye.
So Trump is the only one telling the truth? While it’s pretty hilarious someone would believe that, Trump himself has told every American to practice social distancing, etc and is trying to push through a giant stimulus, but that’s all for nothing right? All the Dr’s and Scientist got together and said “wouldn’t it be fun to make everyone have to be quarantined and crash the global market”.

Ok.

BS

GBR
I believe that with the steps the states and country as a whole have taken that you are right that this won't kill 1.5 million people in the U.S. anymore. That said, NBA players are not an at risk population for serious illness from this. They WERE at a higher risk probably of contracting it just due to their lifestyle and how much they travel from city to city. The actually are at a lower risk of getting seriously ill from this than probably close to 50% of out other citizens. MOST NBA players can get exposed to this and develop nothing more than something that is like a bad cold virus. Some might get sick enough to die from it. There's always somebody in the population with undiagnosed blood disorders or heart problems who will tip over from a virus like this.

Reactions: saluno22 and newAD
I believe that with the steps the states and country as a whole have taken that you are right that this won't kill 1.5 million people in the U.S. anymore. That said, NBA players are not an at risk population for serious illness from this. They WERE at a higher risk probably of contracting it just due to their lifestyle and how much they travel from city to city. The actually are at a lower risk of getting seriously ill from this than probably close to 50% of out other citizens. MOST NBA players can get exposed to this and develop nothing more than something that is like a bad cold virus. Some might get sick enough to die from it. There's always somebody in the population with undiagnosed blood disorders or heart problems who will tip over from a virus like this.

1.5-3mil or bust Dingle.

Otherwise, serious bullshit which is my point.

I question the guy from Goldman Sachs...

I feel terribly for the people about to retire. They likely won't be able to for a long time if they haven't been smart about their investments.

For everyone else, you're being hoodwinked. We've already heard about 3 politicians who sold stock right before this outbreak happened. I have a feeling we will hear about more, and not just politicians.

Trump is fighting for the battle of his life. Not only for his political career, but for the rest of this country. He is the only one telling the truth. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the power to silence everyone, including some of his advisors.

As I said, this will be my final post on this forum. I know there are certain people that think I am an 'idiot' and 'a piece of shit', but I don't care. Stay safe, stay healthy, and good bye.
It will only be overblown BECAUSE we took it seriously and did something to try to slow it down. Look at what is happening in Italy right. They're losing 600 people/day. That would equate to 3000 people/day with our population base in the U.S. Granted the WHO is saying that in developed countries the death rate appears to be lower than initially expected but that is largely because we're at least trying to lower the risk for at risk people.

Reactions: newAD
Ok. I exposed myself to everyone, this is my view. It's right too.

So kiss my ass. I will be right in the end. God Bless America and God Bless Rivals my friends.

GBR

It will only be overblown BECAUSE we took it seriously and did something to try to slow it down. Look at what is happening in Italy right. They're losing 600 people/day. That would equate to 3000 people/day with our population base in the U.S. Granted the WHO is saying that in developed countries the death rate appears to be lower than initially expected but that is largely because we're at least trying to lower the risk for at risk people.

I can't explain the outbreak, which is what makes me fear Covid. Nasty in small places.

God Bless Your Dingle!!!

I know one thing. Whoever is right on this topic will be back in a few weeks to gloat a little, and those who are wrong will be in hiding. That is, if the prior 1000 threads are any indication......

I can't explain the outbreak, which is what makes me fear Covid. Nasty in small places.

God Bless Your Dingle!!!
You take care man. Take it seriously and don't take any chances and you'll be okay. Smart people are trying to do the right thing. I hate shutting stuff down but we really had to try to get people (mainly young people) to help us slow this down to prevent our healthcare system from collapsing. We already near my pretty rural area have multiple healthcare workers quarantined due to travelers returning home with the virus.

Ok. I exposed myself to everyone, this is my view. It's right too.

So kiss my ass. I will be right in the end. God Bless America and God Bless Rivals my friends.

GBR

You’ll be right because of the precautions being taken. If none were being taken and life was going on as normal, I’m pretty sure we’d easily get to that 2-3 million range. We live in the most unhealthy country in the Industrialized world.

One stat I forgot. There’s over 15,000 nursing homes in America, and 1.7 million licensed beds. Look at what happened at the home in Washington. This would wipe out a lot of that population.

I know one thing. Whoever is right on this topic will be back in a few weeks to gloat a little, and those who are wrong will be in hiding. That is, if the prior 1000 threads are any indication......
I'll be very happy to be wrong. The actions we've taken are going to help immensely I think. The one thing I believe I may have been wrong about was saying about 10 days or so ago that it was already too late to change the course of the outbreak. I never believed that the government was going to do some of the things they've done.

Not to throw politics into this, but we have a Republican President in an election year. We have a Republican Governor, and Omaha has a Republican Mayor.

I work for the city of Omaha. These precautions are going to absolutely kill Omaha’s economy and the city’s ability to pay its bills and payroll for a few years.

Despite the damage this is going to do at the federal, state, and local levels, our elected officials are taking these actions. Why in the hell would these people do this if they didn’t have to?

Please...you can't leave us!! We need bright minds like youself to keep this forum informative. Laughing

OMG!!! He just said Trump is the only one telling the truth!! RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

You’ll be right because of the precautions being taken. If none were being taken and life was going on as normal, I’m pretty sure we’d easily get to that 2-3 million range. We live in the most unhealthy country in the Industrialized world.

One stat I forgot. There’s over 15,000 nursing homes in America, and 1.7 million licensed beds. Look at what happened at the home in Washington. This would wipe out a lot of that population.

We will never really be able to tell if this was media frenzy, overkill in precautions etc. Because of what we are doing now with social distancing etc...it has the potential to change the trajectory. Kill 1.5 to 3 mil people in the US? Probably not with all the precautions in place. We are limiting the number of people we are in contact with, limiting being around people who have traveled outside the area, limiting how close we are to other people, limiting how long we are within a few feet of others. A lot of variables play into this. So...here in Nebraska...how many deaths would it take for people to say this wasnt just a joke and hyped up?

I'll be very happy to be wrong. The actions we've taken are going to help immensely I think. The one thing I believe I may have been wrong about was saying about 10 days or so ago that it was already too late to change the course of the outbreak. I never believed that the government was going to do some of the things they've done.

Although I believe Trump should have taken this virus more seriously than he has until now, it is quite evident he has finally had at length discussions with experts, and has taken the appropriate steps.

I think we could bite the bullet and virtually eliminate transmissions by a mandatory quarantine of everyone, what is being done now is a close second for slowing transmission dramatically.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Please...you can't leave us!! We need bright minds like youself to keep this forum informative. Laughing

OMG!!! He just said Trump is the only one telling the truth!! RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh
Bringing politics in to this doesn't help the situation. There will be time later for assigning responsibility for the success or failure of our response to this crisis.

Reactions: saluno22
We will never really be able to tell if this was media frenzy, overkill in precautions etc. Because of what we are doing now with social distancing etc...it has the potential to change the trajectory. Kill 1.5 to 3 mil people in the US? Probably not with all the precautions in place. We are limiting the number of people we are in contact with, limiting being around people who have traveled outside the area, limiting how close we are to other people, limiting how long we are within a few feet of others. A lot of variables play into this. So...here in Nebraska...how many deaths would it take for people to say this wasnt just a joke and hyped up?

What will happen is that after some pretty hardcore restrictions to dramatically reduce interactions with other people, there will be those tools that will say "Told ya so" that this wouldn't kill very many people, and they will have no idea what would have resulted, had these social distancing steps not been taken.

No doubt in my mind that these social distancing steps will impact transmissions. Good for Trump for finally listening to the experts in this field of study.

Although I believe Trump should have taken this virus more seriously than he has until now, it is quite evident he has finally had at length discussions with experts, and has taken the appropriate steps.

I think we could bite the bullet and virtually eliminate transmissions by a mandatory quarantine of everyone, what is being done now is a close second for slowing transmission dramatically.
I don't believe that we could pull off a mandatory quarantine of everybody in our country. IMO that might kill as many people as doing nothing. That is basically what Italy has done and it hasn't worked. We've got to keep some goods and services moving in this country and people have to eat or we'll have food riots in the streets. Trust me, I've sat through meetings with somebody who was a Navy Seal/homeland security official and their view a few years ago was that the next big cataclysmic event that could disrupt our political system is a food shortage. One of the things they suggested that could start the cascade was a worldwide drought or pandemic that interrupted supply chains.

Bringing politics in to this doesn't help the situation. There will be time later for assigning responsibility for the success or failure of our response to this crisis.

Politics were brought into this by the poster that I responded to. You'll notice that I have given props to Trump since he implemented more extensive social distancing guidelines to follow. Good for him for finally listening.

Now we're making a martyr and truth teller out of a serial liar who doesn't have the backbone to stand up to his advisors. Good riddance.

We need to keep our healthcare system doing what it does best. If that happens then we should be okay. It will still be very tragic, but it won’t be nearly the doomsday scenario.

But if the healthcare system breaks down then all bets are offs. I don’t know if you guys saw that SkyNews footage from the hospital in Bergamo, Italy but it’s kind of terrifying. Very war like, Keep Dr. and Nurses healthy and get them the equipment they need! Do that and we’re in the best hands we could be.

I don't believe that we could pull off a mandatory quarantine of everybody in our country. IMO that might kill as many people as doing nothing. That is basically what Italy has done and it hasn't worked. We've got to keep some goods and services moving in this country and people have to eat or we'll have food riots in the streets. Trust me, I've sat through meetings with somebody who was a Navy Seal/homeland security official and their view a few years ago was that the next big cataclysmic event that could disrupt our political system is a food shortage. One of the things they suggested that could start the cascade was a worldwide drought or pandemic that interrupted supply chains.

If Italy has installed mandatory quarantines for all residents of Italy, it WILL make a difference. It may not be doing anything in the short term, but in a couple weeks, it will be very evident that it worked. If you eliminate interactions of people, you will eliminate transmissions. It's just too early to see the results.

As long as the country takes care of the food and personal supplies of everyone, it will work, and people aren't going to panic. If they do, they will also make themselves casualties of this pandemic.

Ok.

BS

GBR
NBA players are a very unrepresentative group of the general population. They are professional athletes who should be in their prime and in the best physical shape possible. It's older and more sickly people that are at higher risk.

If Italy has installed mandatory quarantines for all residents of Italy, it WILL make a difference. It may not be doing anything in the short term, but in a couple weeks, it will be very evident that it worked. If you eliminate interactions of people, you will eliminate transmissions. It's just too early to see the results.

As long as the country takes care of the food and personal supplies of everyone, it will work, and people aren't going to panic. If they do, they will also make themselves casualties of this pandemic.
The problem is that the mandatory quarantines have forced some non-infected people to take shelter with infected family members. I have an in-law whose grandpa, grandma, aunt and uncle were in Italy visiting from another European country and they were forced in to quarantine with their grandkids/kids who had just tested positive. That probably isn't going to end well. Quarantines IMO force some people in to bad situations. Our government isn't able IMO to "take care of" the food and personal supplies for our citizens. That is why I think mandatory quarantines would be a disaster.

Your are correct a mandatory quarantine for everyone would kill the livestock industry talk about another health issue, just think of all the dead animals. Hell hamburger would be $100 a pound pork chops $80 a gallon of milk $200 or it could be way. Worse people from town would be coming out to farms and ranches to shoot their own food

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT