ADVERTISEMENT

NIL money and a few schools

Average wage of $60,000 put 10% into retirement just in the S&P (earning 8%) and over 45 years you have $2.4M saved. Which doesn’t count employee match, etc.
You forget living paycheck to paycheck, getting squeezed by inflation, corporate greed, wages not keeping up, etc.

Hard to even think about contributing to retirement with those things in play for an increasingly large chuck of Americans (like 40% and climbing make less than $20 an hour).

Average wage of $60,000 put 10% into retirement just in the S&P (earning 8%) and over 45 years you have $2.4M saved. Which doesn’t count employee match, etc.
Oh I don’t doubt your math. I’m maxing out my 401 k each year , but our economy would collapse if everyone stopped spending like drunken sailors and actually saved 10% for retirement

You forget living paycheck to paycheck, getting squeezed by inflation, corporate greed, wages not keeping up, etc.

Hard to even think about contributing to retirement with those things in play for an increasingly large chuck of Americans (like 40% and climbing make less than $20 an hour).
There is no reason in today’s environment that an adult should be working full-time making less than $20/ hour. There are tons of opportunities hiring now with no experience that would pay that. Assuming you don’t walk in with a gun and fist full of blunts.

There is no reason in today’s environment that an adult should be working full-time making less than $20/ hour. There are tons of opportunities hiring now with no experience that would pay that. Assuming you don’t walk in with a gun and fist full of blunts.
Yeah.. then you commit to CU

I'm right at that number and I'm 34. People shouldn't act like just about everybody with competencies are or should be automatically making more than that. That's just not how the world works.

Judge away if you want, but such opinions against people who don't make x amount of money are with about as much as poo.

I'm right at that number and I'm 34. People shouldn't act like just about everybody with competencies are or should be automatically making more than that. That's just not how the world works.

Judge away if you want, but such opinions against people who don't make x amount of money are with about as much as poo.
Yeah wages aren’t keeping up with inflation. We need some massive deflation. Here’s to hoping it happens 🤞

Reactions: HuskerO

I’m not judging you - I’m nudging you. You are worth more - you can do better.

I’m not judging you - I’m nudging you. You are worth more - you can do better.
That's fair.

My case...is my job is chill as hell. Making the most I've ever made for the last amount of work. I've tried working up the ladder early in adulthood for years at different stops, trying to do the thing only to get fvcked over time and time again (knowing my worth as you say). Now I'm chilling for the highest dollar unless something legit life changing were to come along.

I appreciate your vibe for sure. I'm just saying, sometimes life's more enjoyable living with lower standards (not necessarily LOW standards). Some people could do better for sure. However, there's plenty of people who have simply been sliced up by the machine of the corporatist world by no fault or choice of their own.

Btw... It's not that I don't have any assets like 🪙. Just a very sad looking retirement account 😅

He wont believe you. One of those people who assumes everything should be handed out easily and no one should have to improve themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Oh I don’t doubt your math. I’m maxing out my 401 k each year , but our economy would collapse if everyone stopped spending like drunken sailors and actually saved 10% for retirement
Depends how they save it. If they invest we’d be good.

That's fair.

My case...is my job is chill as hell. Making the most I've ever made for the last amount of work. I've tried working up the ladder early in adulthood for years at different stops, trying to do the thing only to get fvcked over time and time again (knowing my worth as you say). Now I'm chilling for the highest dollar unless something legit life changing were to come along.

I appreciate your vibe for sure. I'm just saying, sometimes life's more enjoyable living with lower standards (not necessarily LOW standards). Some people could do better for sure. However, there's plenty of people who have simply been sliced up by the machine of the corporatist world by no fault or choice of their own.

Btw... It's not that I don't have any assets like 🪙. Just a very sad looking retirement account 😅
Enjoying your job is tough to put a price on.

I think the non service jobs around where I am that do not require a post high school education are paying 40 to 46K a year(20 to 24/hr). That won't really buy you a home safely anymore in this environment without a serious load of debt compared to income. It would provide a single person enough to retire comfortably if they don't spend, or retire adequately if they do spend some during their working years.

Wages aren't keeping up with inflation.

A family member worked for square D in Lincoln and was being paid 21 an hour in the year 2000. At this moment you can go build circuit breakers for Schnieder electric in the same building for I think around the same pay now.....in the year 2023.

The only good so far is that it's leveled the playing field between Bama and the $EC schools that already were paying millions to the players. Now the rest of the country is doing the same.
Hit the nail on the head with this one. Saban and Smart and SEC coaches aren’t thrilled with the portal. If anything the price just went up. Went it was pre paid credit cards the total values weren’t millions. Kids were getting low 6 figures and the lower level starters were topping out at $100k.

The portal has created dollar figure that have skyrocketed due to bidding wars.

This has greatly leveled the playing field for the other big schools outside of the SEC. Nebraska is one of them that will reap the advantages of it.

Texas is the one that probably has the biggest jumo
As a result. Their pockets are about as deep as it gets.

What’s funny is that the SEC players always drove new muscle cars. The Alabama players had a dealership connection to wash the money for them.

Now the SEC kids are pulling up in Lambos. Classic.

Reactions: Redblood23
If it happened all at once, yes.

But if people got smarter about their savings and eventually worked towards that 10%, then our economy would be just fine.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
nike..oregon has shown the way....davison needs to get busy...buffet needs to get each the starters one of these, with all the options!

• Haha
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Have the bowl games upped their swag game in this NIL era?

I'm not sure a duffel bag wows a player anymore.

NU has been FAR too lacks on paying players and we have seen the last 20 years with the tressels ohio states and the bush usc's...and not even in the same galaxy of the sec paying players with the bama's, georgia's, tenn's florida's etc...

but now it's legal..so lets embrace this asap and get back on a level playing feild.
I'd like to see a 5% tax on anyone making over 200k in Nebraska to go directly to the players till we start seeing championships again..

to much is given, much expected

Last edited:
NU has been FAR too lacks on paying players and we have seen the last 20 years with the tressels ohio states and the bush use's...and not even in the same galaxy of the sec paying players with the bama's, georgia's, tenn's florida's etc...

but now it's legal..so lets embrace this asap and get back on a level playing feild.
I'd like to see a 5% tax on anyone making over 200k in Nebraska to go directly to the players till we start seeing championships again..

And if you’re not a Nebraska fan in Nebraska you get a 10% tax!

Even if arch never starts a game here his value was in his name and the hype that surrounds it. His commitment started a snowball effect of highly ranked recruits to Austin. When you consider how much money programs spend on recruiting it was actually pretty cheap.
I think he'll turn out to be a good quarterback but, even if he doesn't, the recruiting wins because of his coming to Austin make it well worth it.
That being said I agree there's some silly money being thrown at high school kids right now and I don't think it's going to end well for a lot of programs.

Even if arch never starts a game here his value was in his name and the hype that surrounds it. His commitment started a snowball effect of highly ranked recruits to Austin. When you consider how much money programs spend on recruiting it was actually pretty cheap.
I think he'll turn out to be a good quarterback but, even if he doesn't, the recruiting wins because of his coming to Austin make it well worth it.
That being said I agree there's some silly money being thrown at high school kids right now and I don't think it's going to end well for a lot of programs.
Yes. That is why it is unfortunate that Raiola committed so late to us. We missed out on that recruiting effect

Good point but I have a feeling it's going to help you in the next recruiting cycle in a big way.
I hope so but I’m not so sure. I suspect Arch Manning committing in 2023 had little effect on your 2024 class compared to his impact on your 2023 class
You peer recruit players in the same class.

Good point but I have a feeling it's going to help you in the next recruiting cycle in a big way.
Absolutely.
If we have a winning season and raiola looks promising, we’ll get a few big time transfers.

I hope so but I’m not so sure. I suspect Arch Manning committing in 2023 had little effect on your 2024 class compared to his impact on your 2023 class
You peer recruit players in the same class.
That's fair....but winning will cure that for you guys. Win a big game and they'll take notice. Things definitely looking up for Nebraska.

Their brains aren't fully formed yet, and they have more $$$ than most people will earn in their lifetimes. What could go wrong.

It's like if Paris Hilton could play linebacker.

Except Paris' money will never run out, at least not in her lifetime. Most of these dudes' will run out before they leave college

Where is Mississippi coming up with all that money?
They've had it to begin with and they're spending wisely. Like I said, top transfer portal guys are heavily undervalued right now. Meanwhile we're spending too much on the bottom half of our roster. It will be easy to see which strategy proves superior, just have to look at how the results turn out next season.

NU has been FAR too lacks on paying players and we have seen the last 20 years with the tressels ohio states and the bush usc's...and not even in the same galaxy of the sec paying players with the bama's, georgia's, tenn's florida's etc...

We're already paying our players... quite handsomely I might add compared to their market value. Some other programs seem to be better versed in actually getting results for their spend rather than just throwing money at the guys already on a roster who couldn't even make a bowl game.

I think the Aggies are a great case study on what can go wrong if you just go out and pay millions of dollars to buy the best class in the history of recruiting (2022). You end up with a bunch of primadonnas that don't really care about the school at all. Most have already transferred out.

The only way that strategy can work is you if you have an incredibly strong culture. They didn't and they ended up with a lot of locker room cancer.

Reactions: Huskers123456
He wont believe you. One of those people who assumes everything should be handed out easily and no one should have to improve themselves.
Tongue Goat GIF

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Nah. In all seriousness, I want to see our government to back to bimetallic standard, regardless of the pain for most everyone involved by doing so. Our financial system needs the reset button to be hit.

If we can't do that, then yeah. UBI for the win.

We're already paying our players... quite handsomely I might add compared to their market value. Some other programs seem to be better versed in actually getting results for their spend rather than just throwing money at the guys already on a roster who couldn't even make a bowl game.
thanks, could you make a report for me over looking the spending for each player, so I can then match them with results?

And if you’re not a Nebraska fan in Nebraska you get a 10% tax!

And if you’re specifically an iowa fan 20%. They’re either gonna fund our NIL collective or GTFO of our state. 🙂 But in all seriousness, taxing the public to fund the state school’s NIL is a terrible idea IMO. Except for the iowa fan tax, that would be awesome.

And if you’re specifically an iowa fan 20%. They’re either gonna fund our NIL collective or GTFO of our state. 🙂 But in all seriousness, taxing the public to fund the state school’s NIL is a terrible idea IMO. Except for the iowa fan tax, that would be awesome.
Pledge your loyalty or leave. 5% extra for flying another teams flag.

Nah. In all seriousness, I want to see our government to back to bimetallic standard, regardless of the pain for most everyone involved by doing so. Our financial system needs the reset button to be hit.

If we can't do that, then yeah. UBI for the win.
UBI?

Complains a out inflation then wants UBI….

Tell me you know zero about economics or history without telling me for 100 Alex.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
UBI?

Complains a out inflation then wants UBI….

Tell me you know zero about economics or history without telling me for 100 Alex.
Hey I'm just saying - if we're going to do retarded money, then let's do the damn dance.

I prefer gold and silver personally, but I don't control the levers of the world 🤷🏻‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT